PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Warranty question

Sense
12-29-2010, 12:32 AM
So today I kind of passed out with my headphones on, and I got a phone call. I ended up pulling the cord and I fucked up my headphone jack on the laptop..

I know I still have Warranty on the laptop because I got it July of this year, however I was wondering if this is covered on the warranty on any manufacturer..

It's an Asus laptop.. I'd hate to send it back for that small problem, are there better alternatives?

resistanze
12-29-2010, 01:09 AM
ASUS gives 2 years standard warranty now, including 1 year accidental warranty (if you filled out that card when you got it/not purchased from Best Buy).

Their repair service has been historically in my experience. Actually, mine is in repairs right now and it's been a week, but I think that's due to Christmas. My last ASUS laptop was returned to me within 3 days.

Sense
12-29-2010, 02:46 AM
ASUS gives 2 years standard warranty now, including 1 year accidental warranty (if you filled out that card when you got it/not purchased from Best Buy).

Their repair service has been historically in my experience. Actually, mine is in repairs right now and it's been a week, but I think that's due to Christmas. My last ASUS laptop was returned to me within 3 days.

I got mine online... however I was stupid enough not to fill out the form as soon as I got it.

How does that affect this situation?

leemajors
12-29-2010, 09:25 AM
it means you gots to pay to fix it unless you wanna do it yourself. most everything is soldered onto the mobo these days.

resistanze
12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, they say you should've filled out the card (now it's actually an online submission) within 60 days of purchase.

You can either fill out the online form at http://adw.asus.com/content/adp/default.aspx and claim you sent in the hard copy in the mail (which is no longer used) but wasn't aware of the change, or you can try to get it repaired under the standard 2-year warranty, if you can somehow concoct a story about how it wasn't your fault :lol.

I've known ASUS to be understanding up in Canada; they replaced my lid after several scratches and I'm currently hoping they're changing my touchpad which I spilled a drink in months ago.

Otherwise, like leemajors said, you'd have to pay for repairs either through them or a third-party.

resistanze
12-30-2010, 12:28 AM
I got mine online... however I was stupid enough not to fill out the form as soon as I got it.

How does that affect this situation?

UPDATE: I've read on some forums that people have been able to register their laptop for accidental warranty with no problem after 60 days. Give it a shot.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
They should still give you the warranty assuming that you have a receipt for purchase.

Sense
12-31-2010, 07:09 PM
They should still give you the warranty assuming that you have a receipt for purchase.

thanks a lot resistanze!! I'm gonna give it a try.

Sense
01-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Yeah, they say you should've filled out the card (now it's actually an online submission) within 60 days of purchase.

You can either fill out the online form at http://adw.asus.com/content/adp/default.aspx and claim you sent in the hard copy in the mail (which is no longer used) but wasn't aware of the change, or you can try to get it repaired under the standard 2-year warranty, if you can somehow concoct a story about how it wasn't your fault :lol.

I've known ASUS to be understanding up in Canada; they replaced my lid after several scratches and I'm currently hoping they're changing my touchpad which I spilled a drink in months ago.

Otherwise, like leemajors said, you'd have to pay for repairs either through them or a third-party.

So would you go with a "drop" ?

it seems like it could work, I mean I could say I dropped it and it hit the side of the headphones plug or something...

resistanze
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM

resistanze
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
So would you go with a "drop" ?

it seems like it could work, I mean I could say I dropped it and it hit the side of the headphones plug or something...

If ASUS honors your accidental warranty, then you can send it in for any reason. So you might as well tell them what really happened (or, you can say the laptop dropped with your cord still in and ripped out the port).

However in the case they don't because of the 60 day period, then you're only covered under the 2-year warranty that doesn't cover accidents. In that case, your reason would have to be one that doesn't involve fault on your part (kinda difficult for your situation).

But I don't see why they wouldn't honor the accidental warranty if you fill it out correctly online and have proof of purchase/serial. I'm just not sure how long they take to get back to you.