PDA

View Full Version : What Pop needs to do

Rummpd
05-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Suns are going to come out playing with great intensity and desperation. Will it finally get them a first quarter lead? If not and Spurs jump on them again big = they are toast.

I am a believer that Pop should and most likely will do will be to go deeper into the bench early on - I expect that Devin Brown (perfect defensive foil for JJ) and the Big Dog will show in the first half.

Depth will win this game tonight coupled by a defensive pressure the Suns have not seen in AZ.

Jimcs50
05-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I do not think Glenn will play today, but if he does, it will be just token minutes.

boutons
05-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I believe Pop when he says Devin's leg is not ready.
The game is too important for Glenn to go in and play one-on-one blackhole.

The Suns have often been behind after 1 or 2 qtrs all season, then win, so I won't be surprised if they are behind tonight.

The game will again be within reach for either team in the 4th qtr, but I expect a Spurs 4th qtr defensive step-up to ambush the Suns and assure the Spurs W.

Brodels
05-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Suns are going to come out playing with great intensity and desperation. Will it finally get them a first quarter lead? If not and Spurs jump on them again big = they are toast.

I am a believer that Pop should and most likely will do will be to go deeper into the bench early on - I expect that Devin Brown (perfect defensive foil for JJ) and the Big Dog will show in the first half.

Depth will win this game tonight coupled by a defensive pressure the Suns have not seen in AZ.

With Barry and Ginobili playing so well and Bowen locking down Marion, I don't see why Brown and Robinson should see any time at all unless one of the others struggles or gets into foul trouble. Barry, Bowen, and Ginobili have been exactly what this team has needed in this series.

With Devin still unable to explode off of his leg and Robinson lacking the patience to wait for a wide open three or a dunk (which the Spurs can get just about every time down the floor if they don't hurry), I just can't imagine that either is going to do a better job than the other three.

The playoffs is not the time to play eleven guys. Pop has taken his best eight or nine guys and given them the majority of the minutes. Practically everyone has played well and it's worked out so far. Why would he want to increase playing time for an injured player? Why would he want to give more burn to a man who doesn't play defense? Pop called out the team for playing poor defense after game two. Robinson isn't going to help that.

If things aren't going well in the second quarter, give Big Dog some burn. But Pop shouldn't make these changes early because he doesn't have to. Any minutes that an injured Devin Brown gets simply means that Ginobili and the other swing players are going to sit on the bench. That doesn't make sense.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Make the gaurds penetrate the lane, guys that are open at the 3 should take the shot instead of fakin n penetrating or passing it on

duncan should also penetrate and set screens etc he knows what he as todo
rasho or nazr should dunk it hard when they grab that offensive rebound and try and draw that foul instead of gettin rejected or a turnover with those lik pumpfakes

i think we should change the game tactics here, suns will try n make a jump and think we are goin to try n stick with them and clamp them down in the 4th qaurter like in the previous 2 games, this is what we should do get the jump early in the first few minutes and play top notch defence in the first quarter to show that we are for real and takin this game very serious, and 2nd n 3rd qaurter just play normal not causing turnovers but score!!! and then in the 4th qaurter half court man to man press.

GrandeDavid
05-28-2005, 08:33 AM
I hope Glenn doesn't play too much. Damn!

Xolotl
05-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I think Glenn was needed more in the Seattle series where physical play mattered. Here it seems to be about speed and defense, I'm not sure if he can bring both of those.

T Park
05-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Devin Brown should not be out there.

He is not even close to being healthy get fuckin real.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know what Pop should do; but I know what we should do: Stop wondering what Pop should do and believe that whatever strategy he uses is going to be effective; I mean, he is kinda good, after all. ;)

T Park
05-28-2005, 10:29 AM
I mean, he is kinda good, after all

while he has his pitfalls and i have my complaints about him, he is probobly the best coach int he NBA today right now.

Despite what Aggie thinks.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:42 AM
^ I was trying to be sarcastic. ;) Of course he's one of the best out there, which is why we shouldn't doubt his strategies.

zedman
05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know what Pop should do; but I know what we should do: Stop wondering what Pop should do and believe that whatever strategy he uses is going to be effective; I mean, he is kinda good, after all. ;)

Well said! All of these these guys know what to do, we've all seen it. What Pop needs to do? Make sure his guys are feeling that humble confidence that will allow them to play at their best.

TOP-CHERRY
05-28-2005, 10:55 AM
You can tell Pop is definitely instilling in the team not to have that mindset of complacency, which we have seen so many times before: Where they get over-confident and don't have a sense of urgency after a win.

boutons
05-28-2005, 11:32 AM
If Pop hadn't done such a shitty job of getting the Spurs ready for Game1 vs Denver, I'd feel better about tonight, but, after Denver Game1 and Lakers 04 Game3,4,5,6, the Spurs absolutely shouldn't need any external prod to be 150% ready to deliver the coup de grace tonight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Why do people keep counting on Devin Brown? Dude is going to contribute about as much to this post-season run as Dwayne Schintzius.

Despite what Aggie thinks.

Of course, the last two weeks your sig read "Aggie was right, I was wrong, the time for change is now."

:lol

Brutalis
05-28-2005, 01:47 PM
The same gameplan in the first 2 games will not be working tonight.