PDA

View Full Version : Blair's improvement not in stat line yet

GSH
12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I was going to post this earlier in the week, but got sidetracked. Blair sort of stole some of my thunder with the way he played against the Lakers last night.

Near the end of last season, I said that by next season (this season) Blair would be making 75% of his free throws. He had done a lot of work with Chip Engellund, and you could see that his stroke was just so much better. He still wasn't making a lot more of them, but you could tell that he just needed some time to get confidence in the new stroke and that would change. So far, he's shooting right at 75%.

This year you can just as clearly see that he has been putting a lot of work into improving his ball handling skills, and putting some "junk" into his post game. I know the results haven't always been there yet, and that frustrates a lot of people. But he's going at it the right way, and I think he's developing a pretty fundamentally solid game.

His footwork is actually pretty damned good, and so is his ball handling. And he's using them to find ways to get shot up against some much taller defenders. The big problem I see is that he's still dribbling with his head down some, so he's not always getting a good look at the basket before he shoots - so he's off on a lot of those shots. But that will improve with repitition and confidence.

I know a lot of people howl when he tries to "get fancy" around the rim and misses his shots. But a lot of the time he's getting off good shots, not just wildly chunking up bricks in the paint. Last night's game against the Lakers was, I think, just a sample of what he is going to be capable of. To me he looks just like he did with the free throw shooting. It's obvious that he is putting in a lot of hard work, and he's looking sound even if he isn't getting all the results yet.

Watch him a little more closely, if you haven't already been doing so. He's finding ways to get off some good shots against much bigger defenders. Try not to bias yourself by saying those moves aren't in his reportoire. He's handling the ball well. He's under control. He's getting his feet under himself, and has a good solid base when he shoots. It won't be long before enough of the shots start falling to make people understand that he does have those moves in his reportoire.

I was going to say that by this time next year, he is going to be a consistent scoring threat in the post. After last night's game I wonder if it could be sooner than that.

maddnezz
12-30-2010, 04:42 AM
I was going to post this earlier in the week, but got sidetracked. Blair sort of stole some of my thunder with the way he played against the Lakers last night.

Near the end of last season, I said that by next season (this season) Blair would be making 75% of his free throws. He had done a lot of work with Chip Engellund, and you could see that his stroke was just so much better. He still wasn't making a lot more of them, but you could tell that he just needed some time to get confidence in the new stroke and that would change. So far, he's shooting right at 75%.

This year you can just as clearly see that he has been putting a lot of work into improving his ball handling skills, and putting some "junk" into his post game. I know the results haven't always been there yet, and that frustrates a lot of people. But he's going at it the right way, and I think he's developing a pretty fundamentally solid game.

His footwork is actually pretty damned good, and so is his ball handling. And he's using them to find ways to get shot up against some much taller defenders. The big problem I see is that he's still dribbling with his head down some, so he's not always getting a good look at the basket before he shoots - so he's off on a lot of those shots. But that will improve with repitition and confidence.

I know a lot of people howl when he tries to "get fancy" around the rim and misses his shots. But a lot of the time he's getting off good shots, not just wildly chunking up bricks in the paint. Last night's game against the Lakers was, I think, just a sample of what he is going to be capable of. To me he looks just like he did with the free throw shooting. It's obvious that he is putting in a lot of hard work, and he's looking sound even if he isn't getting all the results yet.

Watch him a little more closely, if you haven't already been doing so. He's finding ways to get off some good shots against much bigger defenders. Try not to bias yourself by saying those moves aren't in his reportoire. He's handling the ball well. He's under control. He's getting his feet under himself, and has a good solid base when he shoots. It won't be long before enough of the shots start falling to make people understand that he does have those moves in his reportoire.

I was going to say that by this time next year, he is going to be a consistent scoring threat in the post. After last night's game I wonder if it could be sooner than that.
Spot on.:toast

jjktkk
12-30-2010, 04:53 AM
I love his little tear drop shot in the paint. Hes getting pretty good at it.

mystargtr34
12-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Its good to see him add to his game..he still uses the exact same move in the post almost everytime though... faces up with one hard dribble left then spins to the middle and puts up a right hand flip shot.. ive only seen him make twice all season... he should use his quickness a little more and try and get to the other side of the rim... mix it up a little.

buttsR4rebounding
12-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Its good to see him add to his game..he still uses the exact same move in the post almost everytime though... faces up with one hard dribble left then spins to the middle and puts up a right hand flip shot.. ive only seen him make twice all season... he should use his quickness a little more and try and get to the other side of the rim... mix it up a little.

That's scheduled to be worked on for season 4...

silverblackfan
12-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Actually, Tony has quite a few reliable moves when in the paint with bigger guys. Blair seems to be taking notes and learning. Between Tim, Tony and Manu, as role models, Blair should do just fine.

lefty
12-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Needs to work on actually "jumping" on his jump shots
I agree

Mitch Cumsteen
12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Nice post. He's going to be nails once he learns how to be a little more patient and a little more crafty under the basket.

I've been very impressed with his passing. It's pretty clear that the guy has a very high basketball IQ and good hands. Those are two things that you can't really teach.

GSH
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Thought I'd revive this one. He made me look good with that first half against the Knicks. (Hope the second looks just as good.) For a big guy, he's getting pretty good about putting the ball on the floor. That was a pretty good one man fast break, with a great floater at the finish.

Everything looks better when you finish, and he's getting better at it all the time.

itzsoweezee
01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
George needs to come in for RJ.

GSH
01-21-2011, 10:05 PM
NOW it's getting into his stat line. This DeJuan Blair is going to force some adjustments in the playoffs.

urunobili
01-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Starting to adjust to the level of being a starter now...

MannyIsGod
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Blair looking damn good lately.

EricB
01-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Needs to work on actually "jumping" on his jump shots

Kurt Thomas doesn't and it works for him...

GSH
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
And in case anyone missed it, he did a pretty damned good job defending Stoudamire too. Amare had 26 games in a row with 20 points or more - but not tonight.

Spurs Brazil
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Blair looking damn good lately.

True, and the great thing is his D is looking solid lately

ezau
01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
He's amazing tonight. Second straight double-double game, go DB!

Rummpd
01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
39 points and 29 boards or so and 8 blocks between him and Duncan - take that kind of production up front any night against anyone.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Someone in the game thread asked for a new nickname for Blair besides "Grizzly"

Well something I have noticed is the dude's fingers seem to be magnetically attracted to the basketball....his fingers are MAD sticky...
It's simultaneously his greatest asset on defense and what makes him a shaky ball handler.

So can we work with this "sticky fingers" thing to give the guy an updated nickname?

Oh yeah, and fuck yes, he's playing god damn awesome when he is hustling like he is tonight. He is a GREAT matchup against some teams and he knows it. He BEASTS.

DesignatedT
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Blair was fuckin awesome tonight. Best game of the season.

EricB
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Probably the best defensive game I've ever seen him play.

Hope the D keeps improving. The O outside the D and rebounds is gravy.

Budkin
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
He's really coming into his own now. If he keeps playing like this, we are going to be very tough to beat.

scottspurs
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Blair just runs around out there and plays winning basketball. He is like a bigger, stronger version of Manu who can't shoot.

Cessation
01-22-2011, 12:46 AM
I agree, blair has gotten much better since start of the season. He's much more consistent now. This team is a legit championship favorite, if he keeps playing this well.

Fabbs
01-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Someone in the game thread asked for a new nickname for Blair besides "Grizzly"

So can we work with this "sticky fingers" thing to give the guy an updated nickname?
No. Blairs nic shall remain Grizzly.

You and someone may call him "sticky fingers" if you wish.

SenorSpur
01-22-2011, 01:03 AM

Good post!

Manufan909
01-22-2011, 01:25 AM
I agree, blair has gotten much better since start of the season. He's much more consistent now. This team is a legit championship favorite, if he keeps playing this well.

Cessation giving Blair props? Now I know next year will be the last for mankind.:p:

And if he keeps with his berserker rage "not thinking" approach to the game, Wolverine might be a good name. If he marries his chick and takes her name, his last name will be Logan...:wow CryHavoc likes Sexy Time, but I just don't see that working out.:rollin