PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Day-Lewis

DeadlyDynasty
12-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I watched "There Will Be Blood" again twice over the holidays and I still don't get how it didn't win Best Picture (though NCFOM was good too, admittedly).
They did get the Best Actor part right, however...and honestly, has any 1 actor ever made the most of the roles he's played like DDL? He doesn't sign up for every other script like some Hollywood attention whore either...he's very selective, and as you can see from his filmography the guy knows what he's doing. Here's a list of some of the better known movies he's done. The ones in italics are ones I've personally never seen.

Gandhi (very small part)
My Beautiful Laundrette
My Left Foot
Last of the Mohicans
The Age of Innocence (underappreciated Scorsese flick)
In the Name of the Father
The Boxer
Gangs of New York
The Ballad of Jack and Rose
There Will Be Blood
Nine

He's also in pre-production of a film called "Lincoln (2012)," which I'm already looking forward to. Let's face it, the guy rarely does shitty movies, and I applaud him for it.

Fpoonsie
12-29-2010, 10:50 PM
He's also in pre-production of a film called "Lincoln (2012)," which I'm already looking forward to. Let's face it, the guy rarely does shitty movies, and I applaud him for it.

I was gonna mention this if you didn't. Odds are that movie's gonna be fantastic, albeit with a probable Titanic-like ending.

JoeChalupa
12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
He is a good actor but there are some who I'll watch almost any movie they are in like Gene Hackman, Robert Duval and others are some actors are just plain workaholics like Samuel L. Jackson who like their art and are not worried about winning an Oscar.
And I did love The Last of the Mohicans.

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry but I believe it's Daniel Dave Lewis.

DeadlyDynasty
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
I was gonna mention this if you didn't. Odds are that movie's gonna be fantastic, albeit with a probable Titanic-like ending.

Should be good, I doubt they'll queer it up at the end :tu

He is a good actor but there are some who I'll watch almost any movie they are in like Gene Hackman, Robert Duval and others are some actors are just plain workaholics like Samuel L. Jackson who like their art and are not worried about winning an Oscar.

I like the ones you mention as well, but "Snakes on a Plane" really stretches the term "workaholic."

JoeChalupa
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry but I believe it's Daniel Dave Lewis.

Are you sure about that?

JoeChalupa
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Should be good :tu

I like the ones you mention as well, but "Snakes on a Plane" really stretches the term "workaholic."

:lol Yeah, but that is what makes him who he is.

Fpoonsie
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Are you suggesting that DDL and SLJ are on the same tier as actors?

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Are you sure about that?

I would bet my right ovary.

DeadlyDynasty
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM

I told you that turkey sammich wouldn't kill you :tu

mrsmaalox
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
DDL is wonderful and gorgeous, but his films don't always hit the mark with me. My favorites are My Beautiful Laundrette and The Boxer. I love The Unbearable Lightness of Being, My Left Foot, and The Ballad of Jack and Rose. I'm okay with The Crucible, A Room With a View, Nine, The Age of Innocence. I'd rather watch paint dry than The Last of the Mohicans :sleep And as far as The Gangs of New York and TWBB, his acting was so awesome I pretty much hated his character, so I they are toward the bottom of my DDL favorites list.

Nathan Explosion
12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
There Will Be Blood was fucking great. He was such an awful person, but so was the kid that he fucks in the end. I was actually rooting for him in the end.

As for Gangs of New York. I didn't hate his character. But he was damn good in it too.

Greg Oden
12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
well that's an excellent take :tu

Creepn
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I first recognized him in Gangs of New York. I was like "damn this guy is a bad mutherfucka!". I looked forward to his movies from then on. I didn't even know that was him in The Last of the Mohicans because he looked so different in it.

Anyway, ya TWBB delivered. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!

JoeChalupa
12-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Are you suggesting that DDL and SLJ are on the same tier as actors?

No, just that there are some actors who I enjoy watching even though they are not "Oscar" nominated stars. I've only seen a few of DDL's movies and the ones that I like some simply cannot stand like The Last of the Mohicans. I've tried to watch Gangs of New York but got bored and didn't finish it although that may have been because I was buzzed and just fell asleep. Most of the others on the list I haven't seen either. TWBB was awesome though. I hope I'm not ranting.

Das Texan
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM

I"ll take that bet, and then i'm donating your ovary to science after.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

JR21
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I watched "There Will Be Blood" again twice over the holidays and I still don't get how it didn't win Best Picture (though NCFOM was good too, admittedly).
They did get the Best Actor part right, however...and honestly, has any 1 actor ever made the most of the roles he's played like DDL? He doesn't sign up for every other script like some Hollywood attention whore either...he's very selective, and as you can see from his filmography the guy knows what he's doing. Here's a list of some of the better known movies he's done. The ones in italics are ones I've personally never seen.

Gandhi (very small part)
My Beautiful Laundrette
My Left Foot
Last of the Mohicans
The Boxer
Gangs of New York
There Will Be Blood
Nine

IDK much aabout your topic but damn those are some nice asses :wow

boutons_deux
12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
"Gandhi (very small part)"

I caught Gandi on HDMOV or HDNET the other night, was completely ambushed by some punk racist Zuid Afrikaan punk giving Gandhi shit.

It was Daniel DAY Lewis, about 30 years ago.

monosylab1k
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM

Gandhi (very small part)
My Beautiful Laundrette
My Left Foot
Last of the Mohicans
The Boxer
Gangs of New York
There Will Be Blood
Nine

For the ones you haven't seen, you need to see In The Name Of The Father and The Boxer. Both are great, and so is DDL.

The Ballad Of Jack And Rose is really convoluted and pointless, and I suspect he only did the movie because his wife directed it. He wasn't bad in it tho.

I didn't see Nine because musicals for the most part are fuckin retarded.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I"ll take that bet, and then i'm donating your ovary to science after.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

typo

Das Texan
12-30-2010, 04:32 PM
typo

dave is now a typo for day?

its an extra letter and nowhere near each other on a keyboard!

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM
dave is now a typo for day?

its an extra letter and nowhere near each other on a keyboard!

misprint

Das Texan
12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
misprint

way to back track.

DeadlyDynasty
12-30-2010, 05:37 PM
DDL is wonderful and gorgeous, but his films don't always hit the mark with me. My favorites are My Beautiful Laundrette and The Boxer. I love The Unbearable Lightness of Being, My Left Foot, and The Ballad of Jack and Rose. I'm okay with The Crucible, A Room With a View, Nine, The Age of Innocence. I'd rather watch paint dry than The Last of the Mohicans :sleep And as far as The Gangs of New York and TWBB, his acting was so awesome I pretty much hated his character, so I they are toward the bottom of my DDL favorites list.

tbh I loved Last of the Mohicans. Besides the story itself and the history behind it (which was portrayed brilliantly), the locations were breathtaking (Smokey Mountains, Chimney Rock) and the soundtrack remains one of my all-time favs.

ygNuRpwZqRU

DeadlyDynasty
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
For the ones you haven't seen, you need to see In The Name Of The Father and The Boxer. Both are great, and so is DDL.

The Ballad Of Jack And Rose is really convoluted and pointless, and I suspect he only did the movie because his wife directed it. He wasn't bad in it tho.

Yeah I've been meaning to see them...The Boxer is available on netflix streaming so I'll catch it some time this week. I'll probably skip Nine...last musical I remember seeing was Dancer in the Dark (for a Film and Lit class), and it was excruciating. Bjork getting hung at the end was a silver lining though.

Fpoonsie
12-30-2010, 06:26 PM

I've tried to make it through Nine twice now...to no avail. That movie's fucking terrible (and I don't necessarily hate musicals either (Sweeney Todd, Moulin Rouge, etc...))

blizz
12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Yall REALLY have to watch In The Name Of The Father. That movie is absolutely amazing and he really turns in an amazing performance. I saw that movie shortly after it came out on video years and years ago and it made me a fan of his.

Duff McCartney
12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Yall REALLY have to watch In The Name Of The Father. That movie is absolutely amazing and he really turns in an amazing performance. I saw that movie shortly after it came out on video years and years ago and it made me a fan of his.

It was one of the HBO HD channels a few weeks ago but I didn't really watch it. I saw he was in it and was interested but it was already like in the middle so I didn't want to watch it and not understand it.

Fpoonsie
08-23-2012, 06:07 PM
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/23/article-1345735769858-14A94DBA000005DC-109348_466x679.jpg

DMC
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
There Will Be Blood was fucking great. He was such an awful person, but so was the kid that he fucks in the end. I was actually rooting for him in the end.

As for Gangs of New York. I didn't hate his character. But he was damn good in it too.
Is this a story about Sandusky?

SA210
08-23-2012, 07:08 PM
tbh I loved Last of the Mohicans. Besides the story itself and the history behind it (which was portrayed brilliantly), the locations were breathtaking (Smokey Mountains, Chimney Rock) and the soundtrack remains one of my all-time favs.

ygNuRpwZqRU

:tu Awesome movie and soundtrack. I own it on blu ray

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-23-2012, 07:25 PM
There will be blood is one of my favorites of all time. The fact that it shits on religion makes it especially good.

Eli Sunday
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
There Will Be Blood is complete character assassination. Godless filth.

krispinwah
08-23-2012, 09:03 PM
There will be blood is one of my favorites of all time.

It's a great movie; I hate it when ignorant fucks say it's boring because they can't understand it.

Bill The Butcher
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
There Will Be Blood is complete character assassination. Godless filth.

I know your works. You are neither cold nor hot. So because you are lukewarm, I will spew you out of my mouth.

MookieCrew
08-23-2012, 09:24 PM
It's a great movie; I hate it when ignorant fucks say it's boring because they can't understand it.

It made Ramonce Taylor look like Rasho I saaaaiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddd. I don't know what it is but they should have named it There Will Be Oil.

Creepn
08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/23/article-1345735769858-14A94DBA000005DC-109348_466x679.jpg

:hungry:

monosylab1k
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM

You do realize that Lincoln didn't give two shits about slaves, he married a woman from a slave owning family, and that he only freed "your ancestors" for his own political gain, right?

Fpoonsie
08-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Yep!

Creepn
08-23-2012, 10:47 PM
You do realize that Lincoln didn't give two shits about slaves, he married a woman from a slave owning family, and that he only freed "your ancestors" for his own political gain, right?

Yup, but it doesn't deter me from wanting to see this movie. In fact, they should try to exemplify that very point in the movie.

BRHornet45
08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis is one of those actors who was really great in a couple of films, but has been overrated to hell and back by many people. I like him as an actor and I'm not trying to bash him in anyway, but the fact is that too many people hug his nuts just because it is the trendy thing to do. After he won his first Academy Award for "My Left Foot" in 1989, he has only been in 9 films ever since (9 films in 22 years). That's a big reason, if not the main reason why many people overrate him because since he rarely makes movies anymore naturally people will tend to overrate anything he does. Most of his movies are dull, annoying, and drag on. Lets just look at those last 9 films since "My Left Foot" ....

2009: "Nine" - Crappy musical; nothing special about his performance

2007: "There Will Be Blood" - great film; great performance

2005: "The Ballad of Jack and Rose" - pure crap film; nothing special about his performance

2002: Gangs of New York - solid film; solid performance

1997: The Boxer - boring film; lame "been there, done that" performance

1996: The Crucible - complete and utter shit film; nothing special about his performance

1993: In the Name of the Father - solid film; solid, but terribly overrated performance

1993: The Age of Innocence - boring film; nothing special and boring performance

1992: The Last of the Mohicans - solid film; solid performance

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-23-2012, 11:20 PM
How's the family, kris?

Wild Cobra Kai
08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
It was one of the HBO HD channels a few weeks ago but I didn't really watch it. I saw he was in it and was interested but it was already like in the middle so I didn't want to watch it and not understand it.

Don't you have a philanthropist to rob, or something?

krispinwah
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
How's the family, kris?

Pretty good; just recently passed the 5 year mark of not abusing any of them.

Twisted_Dawg
08-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Isn't that the truth?!! I was in 78209 Blockbuster with my attorney girl friend and she ran into another attorney looking to rent a movie. I/we suggested "There Will Be Blood". We ran into the guy at the same store a couple of weeks later and he made it a point to tell us he didn't like the movie, didn't get it and fell asleep watching it.

Stupid fuck. Educated attorney and he didn't get it?

mrsmaalox
08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
But a lot of times when people say they "don't get" a film doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand the premise or plot of that film; just that they don't connect with the appeal or the hype of that thing which everyone raves about.