PDA

View Full Version : Wolves interview Carlesimo about job

ducks
05-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Last update: May 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM

Wolves interview Carlesimo about job
Steve Aschburner, Star Tribune
May 28, 2005 WOLF0528

The Timberwolves are believed to have had representatives in San Antonio on Friday to interview P.J. Carlesimo about their head coaching vacancy.

A source close to the team said that the Wolves possibly could offer Carlesimo, a Spurs assistant coach, the position this weekend. But that could not be confirmed.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor, reached at home late Friday, declined to comment. Previously, Taylor had indicated he was interested in talking with Carlesimo about the Wolves' opening. But while he and vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale were able to conduct phone and face-to-face interviews with other candidates, Carlesimo's schedule was trickier -- the Spurs still are active in the postseason, facing Phoenix in the Western Conference championship series that continues tonight in San Antonio.

The Wolves are seeking a new head coach for the first time since December 1995; Flip Saunders was fired in February after a 25-26 start to what was billed as a championship-caliber season. McHale finished the regular season as coach, going 19-12. But the Wolves missed the playoffs, ending a streak of eight consecutive appearances.

Carlesimo has been

on the staff of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich for three seasons.

He previously worked as an NBA head coach in Portland (1994-97) and at Golden State (1997-2000), after a long college career that included six trips to the NCAA tournament and a Coach of the Year award in 12 years at Seton Hall.

His greatest fame came in December 1997 with the Warriors, when guard Latrell Sprewell reacted to criticism from Carlesimo by choking the coach during a practice. Carlesimo eventually was fired with a 46-113 record at Golden State and has been in a sort of NBA exile, waiting for another chance.

When the Spurs played at Target Center in the 2004-05 regular-season finale, Carlesimo said he would be interested in the Wolves opening. "No question I would," he said. "But the time is horrible right now, with the playoffs. You'd hope there's some interest and that they're willing to wait until after the playoffs."

Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford, that same evening, said of Carlesimo: "People would be making a mistake if they didn't consider him. He's been a real strong presence for us. Some people judge him by the way things went in Golden State, and that's unfair. We all grow."

Earlier this month, Indiana coach Rick Carlisle also endorsed Carlesimo as a top candidate for one of the many NBA head coaching vacancies. "Something is going to happen this year," Carlisle, an assistant under Carlesimo in Portland, told the New York Post. "I've been hearing his name a lot, and a couple of different organizations have called me to ask about him. He deserves a chance, not because he's a great guy but because he's a great coach."

The New York Knicks also are believed to have interest in Carlesimo for their coaching vacancy.

Steve Aschburner is at [email protected].
http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5428408.html

ducks
05-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I am for pj getting a gig but make them wait tell the playoffs are over!

spurschick
05-28-2005, 10:45 AM
I am for pj getting a gig but make them wait tell the playoffs are over!

Call me stupid, but I thought that they weren't allowed to discuss things like this until after the season is officially over. Am I completely off base here?

Big Pimp_21
05-28-2005, 10:46 AM
PJ's to-do list:
1. Win the NBA Championship
2. Accept the Wolves job
3. Move Family to Minnesota
4. Trade Sprewell to a crappy team
5. Laugh at Sprewell and collect his money

T Park
05-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Not the first job I would take, being as its in a shit hole like St Paul Minnesota.

But I guess when desperate cant be choosy.

ducks
05-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Indiana coach Rick Carlisle also endorsed Carlesimo as a top candidate for one of the many NBA head coaching vacancies. "Something is going to happen this year," Carlisle, an assistant under Carlesimo in Portland, told the New York Post. "I've been hearing his name a lot, and a couple of different organizations have called me to ask about him. He deserves a chance, not because he's a great guy but because he's a great coach."

atleast rick and pop get it they think pj deserves another shot

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2005, 01:11 PM
We ought to go after Silas if PJ leaves, it would be nice to seem him coaching for the Spurs.

angel_luv
05-28-2005, 01:50 PM
No, Coach C. I want you in New York with Malik. If you must leave us = ( go there!

Dex
05-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I really can't see PJ going to coach anywhere that Latrell Sprewell will be playing.

Call it a hunch.

boutons
05-28-2005, 04:04 PM
"not because he's a great guy but because he's a great coach"

that almost soundsl like "because he's not a great guy but because he's a great coach"

:)

Duff McCartney
05-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Call me crazy, but I think it will end in disaster for PJ if the goes to Minnesota, even if Sprewell isn't there.

I dunno why, I just think it will.

exstatic
05-28-2005, 05:00 PM
I really can't see PJ going to coach anywhere that Latrell Sprewell will be playing.

Call it a hunch.

I think Spree's contract is up, and after his BS this year, I doubt they'd want him back. If it comes down to re-signing an aging, slowing Spree, or getting a quality head coach, you kick Spree to the curb. SGs are a dime a dozen.

sickdsm
05-28-2005, 06:55 PM
The only reason i could see for you calling St. Paul/mps a shithole is either.

Cold winters

Liberal community.

Its consistanly one of the top communities among major cities for quality of life.

Better yet it doesn't have a reputation of being a bunch of fatties.