PDA

View Full Version : RJ interview by Hoopsworld

biba
12-30-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18328&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Jefferson Channeling Sean Elliott?
By: Scott Kahn / HOOPSWORLD / Last Updated: 12/30/10

When the San Antonio Spurs acquired Richard Jefferson in June of 2009 from the Milwaukee Bucks, the belief was Jefferson would be the missing piece to a 5th NBA Championship. What was NOT expected was the difficulty Jefferson experienced adjusting to his new team. League speculation was widely shared that Jefferson would be one year and done with the Spurs.

Jefferson's outstanding play thus far should remind Spurs fans of two blasts from the past. Jefferson contributes much like Bruce Bowen without the defense, and his scoring numbers so far this season closely resemble Sean Elliott's from 1999.

"It is really no different from being a freshman or sophomore," says Jefferson, who signed a new contract with the Spurs this past off season. "Anyone who gets a second year of experience in a system is going to feel more comfortable. Last year I was playing with a new group of guys that have all played together their whole careers. It has taken me a bit of time to figure out how to contribute consistently."

Last year Jefferson seemed uncomfortable at times, and often struggled to produce offensively.

"Last year I believe I averaged twelve points a game. This year I am averaging fourteen points a game. I simply have learned how to contribute more consistently."

Consistency and efficiency have been the differences for Jefferson this season. His scoring average may have only increased slightly, however his shooting efficiency has risen from 46.7% to nearly 50% from the field. His three point accuracy has increased from 31% to 46% so far this season. Jefferson had to add a new feature to his game to produce the current results. He was asked to become more of a catch-and-shoot player.

"That was something I was not prepared to do last year," Jefferson admits. "I spent the whole summer practicing quick catch and shoots, and catch and shoots moving to the corners, preparing myself to knock down more three point shots. I am simply more comfortable with the system."

The Spurs traditionally are a hard working, team oriented, and stable organization. Jefferson was asked what he believes is the reason for the Spurs continued success.

"Tim Duncan for 14 years, Tony Parker for 10 years, and Manu Ginobili for 9 years, those are very good building blocks. It would be similar to having Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce together for the majority of their careers," Jefferson said.

Jefferson also spoke of the young players who he says have contributed so far this season.

"George Hill, who was a great player for us last year. I really believe people are going to be impressed with James Anderson, who was getting minutes for us before he broke his foot. Gary Neal is consistently contributing and DeJuan Blair steps up when we need him."

Early season success is not something Jefferson wanted to spend much time addressing.

"These guys have won four NBA championships," Jefferson points out. "No one on this team seems to care that we have won a bunch of regular season games. We have to keep winning at this rate just to remain in the discussion as one of the better teams in the league. The Lakers are still the team to beat."

Jefferson admitted there is still much work to do this season, but at 27-4 and sporting the league's best record, He and the Spurs are off to a great start.

DesignatedT
12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
cool.

MaNu4Tres
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Bobby Simmons or Udoka are better options at the starting 3 spot..tbh

DesignatedT
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM

:lol

8FOR!3
12-30-2010, 01:49 PM

:lol Thank God the Bogans days in San Antonio are over...

lefty
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Biba deserves a spur for beating Duncan228 to it

ShoogarBear
12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Jefferson contributes much like Bruce Bowen without the defense

That was supposed to be a compliment? :lol

ohmwrecker
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
He is just a bad fit for the system, his skill set is completely reliant upon his athleticism which has diminished greatly, if he isn't involved offensively, he fails to make an impact elsewhere and he has a low basketball IQ. Oh, and he cannot possibly improve.

AFBlue
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
That was supposed to be a compliment? :lol

I had the exact same thought. Ah hoopsworld. :lol