PDA

View Full Version : Marcin Gortat rips his new team

Xylus
12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I love this guy. After surrendering 123 points to the 76ers in the one of the most pathetic defensive performances in the history of basketball, Gortat went after the Suns' complete lack of defense.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/30/marcin-gortat-rips-suns-defense-after-disappointing-loss-to-sixe

Marcin Gortat Rips Suns Defense After Disappointing Loss to Sixers

PHOENIX -- Frustrations reached a boiling point for the Phoenix Suns both during and after Wednesday's dreadful 123-110 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers over their inability to play defense.

Philadelphia ranks just 22nd in the league in offensive efficiency and 23rd in the league in points per game, averaging just 95.6 per contest. But the Sixers put up 123 on the Suns by shooting a gaudy 54.9 percent from the field and getting to the free-throw line 35 times to Phoenix's 17.

There were plenty of questionable calls that didn't go the Suns' way, including an out-of-bounds call late in the fourth quarter that went to the Sixers -- one that Steve Nash was certain should have gone in his team's favor. For a few brief moments, Nash completely lost it, picking up a technical foul for demonstratively arguing with the official who made the call. Nash continued to protest after he was whistled for the technical, and seemed as though he was trying to get the second one called so he could take an early shower.

Two sources sitting close enough to hear Nash's comments independently confirmed the statement he made to Alvin Gentry but was clearly directed at the official: "I'm going to f*****g punch one of these motherf*****s in the face."

Yes, it was that kind of night for the Suns -- and the frustration continued in the locker room afterward. Gentry's post-game press conference with reporters was delayed for an extended period while the locker room remained closed, presumably for the team to discuss its woeful lack of execution on the defensive end of the floor.

One of the newest members of the team, Marcin Gortat, was incredulous at his new team's abysmal defensive effort, but thankfully, he wasn't speechless. The backup big man had plenty to say about what went wrong, and how much hard work it's going to take for the team to fix all its problems.

"It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat began. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

Gentry said the Suns are working hard in practice, but for whatever reason that hard work isn't translating into that effort being there in game situations. But we'll stick with Gortat, as he seemed to give the most honest and straightforward assessment of the team's defensive struggles.

"I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours," Gortat continued. "Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we're doing bad, I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there's not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.

"It's just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I'm not going to lie."

Gortat played in Orlando the last four seasons, on a Magic team that was elite for the last three. He knows what it takes to reach that level, and it's been quite an adjustment for him coming to a team that's near the bottom of the league defensively.

"It's kind of a reality check for me, being on a team who is winning then all of a sudden coming to a team which is losing," Gortat said. "I mean, we are the worst defensive team in the league. I don't know; we've just got to come tomorrow as early as possible and just put in work -- three hours at least."

Gortat then preached the importance of work ethic as he continued to break down how he's seen his new team approach things during his brief time in Phoenix.

"I think we've just got to be more serious about everything that we do," Gortat said. "We've got a lot of young guys on the team. A lot of potential, but a lot of young guys who don't know how it is to be on top and play at a high level. It's not only focus on the game, it's also focus on the practice. When you come through that door, that's the time to lock in and get ready for the game or practice. It can't happen where you're coming in and doing different things. We've got to read the scouting report, which guy likes to do what, and we've just got to learn it.

"There's a lot of work in front of us, I'm telling you guys. A lot of work. With Philly scoring 120 points, I don't want to see teams like Boston, Orlando, San Antonio ... because it's going to be bad."

As Gortat mentioned, things are already bad. And defensively, they seemingly can't get too much worse for the Suns.

Cry Havoc
12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
"It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat began. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

This guy needs to come to San Antonio.

Cane
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Huge culture shock for Gortat since Stan Vun Gundy and the Magic are about as anal as they get when it comes to watching tape, getting on every players' mistake and weakness, and getting right defensively. SVG is a guy thats been called out by his franchise player and team for being too negative and not constructive enough whereas Gentry is a player's coach and probably much softer by comparison.

And while Gortat wanted minutes, I think he still wanted to be on a contender ala Dallas talks last summer rather than join a team thats going to struggle to get in the playoffs at all like he is with the Suns. Must also suck to be packaged with Carter especially as the Magic seem to have turned a new leaf and have become better than ever even though they need to help fill Gortat's hole at the backup 5.

baseline bum
12-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Any team with Steve Nash on it is going to be a defensive trainwreck. Why in the hell haven't they traded his ass yet?

lefty
12-30-2010, 01:49 PM
:lol

But seriously, I like his reaction :tu

And BB is right, the defense starts with the guy guarding whoever is bringing the ball up the court; in this case, Nash :downspin:

Dragic not Tragic
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Why in the hell haven't they traded his ass yet?

Because fans wants fun and gun :toast
Amare is gone, and Suns was bad defence team because of him :clap.

Cane
12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Excerpt from ESPN about how the Suns basically have the worst defensive rating in NBA history:

Because the Suns have a long and storied history as a defenseless team, I'm not sure people truly understand just how awful they've been this season. According to Basketball-Reference, the 2010-11 Phoenix Suns are currently the sixth-worst team of all time in terms of Defensive Rating (which, again, is 114.1).

For perspective, the 1992-93 Dallas Mavericks have an all-time worst D-Rating of 114.7. In other words, this year's Suns team is a mere seven-tenths of one point per 100 possessions away from being the worst defensive team ever.

Here's another ugly fact: The five teams that rank behind the Suns in Defensive Rating averaged 20 wins.

Look, the Suns have shown over the past several seasons that a team can compete without being an elite defensive squad. But no amount of scoring is going to overcome a potentially worst-ever defense. If the Suns are going to turn their season around, they need to start getting their hands in some faces. And fast.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23399/the-suns-are-even-worse-on-defense-than-you-think

Dex
12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
So Gentry trying to play defense is actually worse than D'Antoni not?

nkdlunch
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
motherfucker came to slap some heads around. I like it.

TIMMYD!
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
That type of attitude would fit in perfectly with us.

DMC
12-30-2010, 03:46 PM
The Suns have poor defense?

That's the first I have heard of it..

I guess it became a big deal when their offense became less stellar.

4>0rings
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Are Phoenix fans still wanting an all offensive team?

LakerHater
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
For a few brief moments, Nash completely lost it, picking up a technical foul for demonstratively arguing with the official who made the call. Nash continued to protest after he was whistled for the technical, and seemed as though he was trying to get the second one called so he could take an early shower.

Two sources sitting close enough to hear Nash's comments independently confirmed the statement he made to Alvin Gentry but was clearly directed at the official: "I'm going to f*****g punch one of these motherf*****s in the face."

http://oi56.tinypic.com/j8gorb.jpg

8FOR!3
12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't mind Gortat being a Spur, I like his attitude. Dude's a good defending big.

TFloss32
12-30-2010, 05:46 PM
So, which Spurs fan wants to start the obligatory "How can we get Marcin Gortat?" thread?

ElNono
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Nash just wants to have fun. What's that defense nonsense?

j.dizzle
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
LOL Sarver.

ploto
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Gortat really has not earned the right to make comments like this.

Fpoonsie
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Gortat=class

Pero
12-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Gortat=class

Sarcasm?

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2010, 08:49 PM
gortat talkin about defense, what are his stats again? a measly 4ppg 4rpg? MLE money? gtfo

JMarkJohns
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
gortat talkin about defense, what are his stats again? a measly 4ppg 4rpg? MLE money? gtfo

Stats don't qualify a person to talk about defense. Effort does. I have no idea of Gortat gives his all, but he gives more than maybe any core rotation player on Phoenix right now. Whether or not he's right to say it, he's right in saying it.

Suns have enough depth to very seldom allow an easy shot in the lane. If they knocked players on their asses instead of adhering to D'Antoni's "don't interrupt game-flow" notion of defensive effort so as not to diminish offensive output (like he hinted at with locker room talk), then maybe they could actually win a game?

spursfan1000
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Atleast someone is speaking up for their team

ducks
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Marcin Gortat to the spurs for booner

crc21209
12-31-2010, 01:15 AM
:lol Get used to it Gortat. That team won't be playing ANY defense soon...

BillWalton
12-31-2010, 01:16 AM
It's one thing to say it to the media but did he atleast explain it to the team?

pawe
12-31-2010, 03:22 AM
This team confuses me a lot.
They should've just stuck with DAntoni and SSOL, shit they were elite under his tenure. Why kick him out and replace him with Porter and Gentry who tries oh so hard to introduce defense when they already have a reputation of a team unable to play defense.
If I am an NBA player and I know im going to be traded to the Suns, my mentality will automatically be "time to score!".
If you cant play defense, just try to outscore the other team. Get rid of the slow inside bangers and go for quick athletic freaks like Marion, Jrich and Stoudemire...oh wait...

Cessation
12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah they fucked up big time getting rid of dantoni, at least he knew how to play to your strength.

Spurs9
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Alvin G before the game "Okay guyz, tonight we need to run the ball"

ShoogarBear
12-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Gortat better watch out.

Terry Porter will tell you what Nash will do to you if you try to talk about defense.

rayjayjohnson
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
lol @ irrelevant polish player butthurt that he got traded to a backwater.

100%duncan
12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
come here

Baseline
12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Gortat leads the league in ugly.

LkrFan
12-31-2010, 10:45 PM
So far they are holding Detroit to 43%. Damn, did I just type that about the Suns? :lol

admiralsnackbar
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
So far they are holding Detroit to 43%. Damn, did I just type that about the Suns? :lol

I think you maybe just wrote that about Detroit, really :lol

spurs10
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
No shit. :flag:

8FOR!3
12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah they fucked up big time getting rid of dantoni, at least he knew how to play to your strength.

Exactly. I think Amar'e has all the tools to one day be a solid defender due to his size and athleticism, but Steve Nash on the other hand is now their best player and can't play defense.

Pistons < Spurs
12-31-2010, 11:31 PM
:lol The Pistons scored 104 against the Celtics, and just 75 against the defensive minded Suns!

LkrFan
12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
:lol The Pistons scored 104 against the Celtics, and just 75 against the defensive minded Suns!
Whoa! The Suns are now the 2008 Celtics!!! :lol

mojorizen7
01-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Gortat only speaking the truth.
If you take a single Marlboro red cigarette and put it in with a pack of menthols a day later its a menthol.
Its only a matter of time before Gortat becomes a defensively clueless sieve like everyone else who wears the Purple and Orange.

The offensive culture is embedded here in PHX....and having Nash play here till he's 40 fucking yrs old isn't helping either because he IS the shitbox system that wont die.