PDA

View Full Version : No Garnett when Spurs face Celtics

SsKSpurs21
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
[Update: Sources tell TNT's David Aldridge that Garnett's injury is muscular in nature -- a strained calf muscle -- and that the team has no immediate timetable for his return. Another source tells D.A. that the injury does not involve any ligaments in KG's leg.]

[Update II: League sources tell Aldridge that Garnett will miss about two weeks with a strained calf.]

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/12/30/kg-injury-changes-the-game/

Jason R
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Spurs catching a big break by playing the Mavs AND Celts without their key players.

GinobiliForTres
12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
[Update: Sources tell TNT's David Aldridge that Garnett's injury is muscular in nature -- a strained calf muscle -- and that the team has no immediate timetable for his return. Another source tells D.A. that the injury does not involve any ligaments in KG's leg.]

[Update II: League sources tell Aldridge that Garnett will miss about two weeks with a strained calf.]

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/12/30/kg-injury-changes-the-game/

this isn't fcking fair. i wanna play a FULL STRENGTH team alread y

ChumpDumper
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
this isn't fcking fair. i wanna play a FULL STRENGTH team alread yThey already did.

But it was just the Lakers.

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Spurs catching a big break by playing the Mavs AND Celts without their key players.

And Houston without Yao.

And Bulls without Boozer.

And Milwaukee without Michael Redd.

And Hawks without Joe Johnson.

And Nuggets without Chauncey/Kenyon.

And Memphis without Rudy Gay.

And Nuggets without Carmelo.

And Wizards without a bunch of guys.

And Magic without chemistry.

And Suns without new trade acquisitions.

GinobiliForTres
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
They already did.

But it was just the Lakers.

hell, at least it was a good team lol

boutons_deux
12-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, the fluke Ws continue. :)

About time, we've had enough injuries these past couple years.

Very glad KG's injury is not his gimpy knee. But muscle strains, at least as painful/severe as his was, can take weeks to heal and for the muscle to recover lost strength and mass.

lefty
12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
And Houston without Yao.

And Lakers without the refs

ThePop
12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
And Houston without Yao.

I hope you're joking about half of these

stealthjbravo
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
And Houston without Yao.

I agree. This team should be 15-16.

Solid D
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Verrry fortunate. They've almost made the term "trap game" become passe.

GinobiliForTres
12-30-2010, 05:09 PM

sad part is, he's not.

VI_Massive
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
And Houston without Yao.

Ok some of these are a stretch, but the point is true -- the Spurs are getting breaks by playing these teams without key players. But hey, it takes luck AND skill to play well enough to get a 1 seed in the NBA. If this is the year the luck swings to San Antonio, so be it.

Solid D
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
http://sportingnews.printstown.com/ProdImages/2003_06_23_DUNCAN_ROBINSON_EXTR.JPG

Remember the 2003 "Accidental Champion" bit?

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
My point is simply that the Spurs have had a fair stretch of good luck with other teams having star and/or rotation players out. Sure, the Spurs are missing Anderson and missed Hill for a few games. The point remains, we've been the benefactor of a lot of other teams' outages.

Solid D
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
My point is simply that the Spurs have had a fair stretch of good luck with other teams having star and/or rotation players out. Sure, the Spurs are missing Anderson and missed Hill for a few games. The point remains, we've been the benefactor of a lot of other teams' outages.

Your point is truthful and valid.

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 05:24 PM

Ummmm, no. Look it up.

Now I'm not saying that all of these players are STAR players. But rotational guys - yes. And certain situations need to be framed in their context. In the 5th game of the season did everyone know that Yao was out for the season? At the time it was a small coup not having to face him.

The Spurs also faced the Clippers without Eric Gordon and (I think) Blake Griffin the first time.

Now certainly teams are always going to have injuries. But hitting the Grizzlies when Rudy Gay has a one game suspension was good luck. Orlando, Washington and Phoenix all after major roster shuffling trades shuffled them up considerably also. Carmelo with a family death and earlier the same team without Chauncey and pre-Kenyon's return.

You can be an arrogant know-it-all all you like - but the truth remains. This team has been especially lucky.

Now neither am I am saying that this is to credit the wins with nor that it cheapens them at all. It simply is.

NRHector
12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
The planets are lining up for the Spurs, is not a good thing that Dirk and Garnett are out for their teams since we can use those 2 games as a measurement stick but if the Spurs can come out with two wins it can help the Spurs in the standings for Home court at the end. Go Spurs :flag:

lmbebo
12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Not our fault other teams have had issues. We play who we play when we do.

last few years we've had injuries. Its the nature of the game.

Teams play hard with or without those injured or new people. Certain pick up there play. Its not like these teams just layed down when we played them.

You can't really count Yao or Redd as being out. They haven't been part of there teams for at least 2 years now.

GrandeDavid
12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

I was just thinking about this. If they take advantage, they very well could finish what was touted as a "statement stretch" 5-0. If you look up until February, after this suddenly less formidable stretch, the Spurs really could win lots more games. Of course we need to be ready for a couple of listless performances like we saw against the Clippers...mostly, we need to really, really hope that the Spurs stay healthy.

Proxy
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Ummmm, no. Look it up.

Now I'm not saying that all of these players are STAR players. But rotational guys - yes. And certain situations need to be framed in their context. In the 5th game of the season did everyone know that Yao was out for the season? At the time it was a small coup not having to face him.

The Spurs also faced the Clippers without Eric Gordon and (I think) Blake Griffin the first time.

Now certainly teams are always going to have injuries. But hitting the Grizzlies when Rudy Gay has a one game suspension was good luck. Orlando, Washington and Phoenix all after major roster shuffling trades shuffled them up considerably also. Carmelo with a family death and earlier the same team without Chauncey and pre-Kenyon's return.

You can be an arrogant know-it-all all you like - but the truth remains. This team has been especially lucky.

Now neither am I am saying that this is to credit the wins with nor that it cheapens them at all. It simply is.

...Wins against OKC, NOH and Utah at full strength...

Mugen
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
i dont think these teams cared when they were playing us without TP and Manu the last couple years.

GrandeDavid
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
And Houston without Yao.

The Spurs have definitely caught some breaks by playing teams working through injuries and also pulling out late victories. But credit is given where its due. Scoreboard Spurs. That's why the victory over the Lakers was important, they faced a contender with a pretty healthy roster and ample motivation.

lmbebo
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
The bucks played hard. They beat Dallas (in Dallas) and the LAL (in LA I think). They've had issues as well. But when we played them, they were playing as well as anyone in the league and much better than there record.

MaNu4Tres
12-30-2010, 05:50 PM
And Houston without Yao.

I guess these players only sat out against the Spurs.

ThePop
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Ummmm, no. Look it up.

I just meant that some of the games you listed are kinda stupid, like Rockets without Yao or Bucks without Redd. Those players hardly ever play as it is. Its like saying Wizards without Arenas(pre-trade) as he never played anyways. I understand your point though, we have been lucky.

DMC
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
this isn't fcking fair. i wanna play a FULL STRENGTH team alread y
Buy NBA 2K11 :D

GinobiliForTres
12-30-2010, 06:32 PM

i wish i could lol money's tight. that's why i don't have league pass.

Solid D
12-30-2010, 06:35 PM
I just meant that some of the games you listed are kinda stupid, like Rockets without Yao or Bucks without Redd. Those players hardly ever play as it is. Its like saying Wizards without Arenas(pre-trade) as he never played anyways. I understand your point though, we have been lucky.

Actually, the Rockets game changed when Brooks went down plus Martin tweaked his ankle. The Bucks missing Redd wasn't the thing that hurt... It was missing John Salmons.

Dex
12-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Verrry fortunate. They've almost made the term "trap game" become passe.

Almost?

I thought it was already a new SpursTalk meme, like "lol ___" or "nothing to see here".

easy7
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
God loves the Spurs... :flag: :flag: :flag:

Drachen
12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Was that sporting news real?? Accidental Champions? WTF?

Tp9gospursgo
12-30-2010, 07:05 PM
i dont think these teams cared when they were playing us without TP and Manu the last couple years.

:toast

Crookshanks
12-30-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't care if the Spurs are getting the breaks this year - that's just the nature of the NBA. Other teams don't care - they just want to win. And all this whining about wanting to play teams at full strength - who really cares? All I care about is winning and having a good record - if it comes at the expense of injury riddled teams, so be it.

JR21
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
No shit right i was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes

But anyway I would of loved to play the Celtics full strength to see where we are at because that might just be the finals, But on a back to back with New York away wouldn't really show are full potential anyway.

But yeah what are the coinsidences of us lucking out with all those injuries to all those team key players?? hmmm i'l take it... :lobt2:

stealthjbravo
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Yep

stnick2261
12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
And Houston without Yao.

This only shows how deep the Spurs are, that missing Anderson (and his 50% 3-pt shooting)... and missing George Hill for a while doesn't matter... and Splitter's slow start and missing training camp because of injury...

every team plays with injuries.... Spurs included

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I guess these players only sat out against the Spurs.

In several instances - yes. Rudy Gay for instance and (for the most part) Carmelo's short absence.

...Wins against OKC, NOH and Utah at full strength...

Seriously? Why even post if you're not going to read my comments in full. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Spurs as I've stated. But I am being a realist about some of our wins. We get a lot of lucky breaks.

Jason R
12-30-2010, 07:43 PM
I was just thinking about this. If they take advantage, they very well could finish what was touted as a "statement stretch" 5-0. If you look up until February, after this suddenly less formidable stretch, the Spurs really could win lots more games. Of course we need to be ready for a couple of listless performances like we saw against the Clippers...mostly, we need to really, really hope that the Spurs stay healthy.

Yup. I don't want to jinx us but I'm wondering if we can capitalize on these Celts/Mavs injuries how long it will be til the next loss.

Jason R
12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
End of the day I'm grateful for a chance to put the Mavs/Celts one back farther back behind the top seed.

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
end of the day i'm grateful for a chance to put the mavs/celts one back farther back behind the top seed.

+1

KenziE
12-30-2010, 08:14 PM
nothing to see here just whiners whining either we WIN or LOSE ... analyzing every little detail about a WON game .

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
A win is a win.

100%duncan
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
injuries are part of the game we all call basketball

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
injuries are part of the game we all call basketball

Speak for yourself. I don't call it basketball. I call it ball in hole.

Solid D
12-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Good one.

Dex
12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
With the injuries the Spurs have had to deal with over the past couple years, I couldn't really care less. Nobody was taking pity on us when we were missing Tony or Manu.

I just knock on wood and say TFB.

EricD
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Good one.

Solid D Do you have it?

I just got it myself and want to play online-- Do you have a handle for Xbox Live?

EricD
12-30-2010, 09:08 PM
With the injuries the Spurs have had to deal with over the past couple years, I couldn't really care less. Nobody was taking pity on us when we were missing Tony or Manu.

No one felt sorry for us in 1999-2000 when Duncan was out for the playoffs with the knee injury.

No one felt sorry for us when Derek Anderson got leveled by Juwon Howard and never recovered in 2001.

No one felt sorry for us when Derek Fisher's shot counted when it shouldn't have.

No one felt sorry for us when Spurs were robbed by the officiating in games 3 and 4 of the Mavs series in 2006.

No one felt sorry for us in 2008 when Manu's ankle was the culprit for Sasha turning into Bruce Bowen.

No one felt sorry for us when 2 of the Spurs big 3 were often injured the past 2 seasons.

Fuck em.

timtonymanu
12-30-2010, 09:26 PM

100% agree. Had Tony and Manu never been hurt the last two seasons, we could have had a better team. We're just taking advantage of the health we have now. Injuries are part of the game. Just be thankful it's not us right now.

ShoogarBear
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
And Houston without Yao.

CIA Pop. :smokin

TampaDude
12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
No one felt sorry for us in 1999-2000 when Duncan was out for the playoffs with the knee injury.

No one felt sorry for us when Derek Anderson got leveled by Juwon Howard and never recovered in 2001.

No one felt sorry for us when Derek Fisher's shot counted when it shouldn't have.

No one felt sorry for us when Spurs were robbed by the officiating in games 3 and 4 of the Mavs series in 2006.

No one felt sorry for us in 2008 when Manu's ankle was the culprit for Sasha turning into Bruce Bowen.

No one felt sorry for us when 2 of the Spurs big 3 were often injured the past 2 seasons.

Fuck em.

No one felt sorry for us when Brent Barry got mugged by D Fish in 2008 and Joey Crawford swallowed his whistle.

Yup...fuck 'em!

easjer
12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Eh, luck is a piece of it. It's true the Spurs have had some lucky breaks. It's equally true that a number of teams have players who come together over a player's absence and elevate their game to compensate (particularly when it's something like a death in the family - the spirit of let's win it for him). It's also true that with the hot streak and best league record by several games, teams are starting to circle SA on their calendar and play up to it.

Nature of the game. We have to hope that the Spurs do not get hit with injuries any more than they have; if they do, then other teams will be lucky in their turn playing the Spurs.

Agloco
12-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Surely the Spurs aren't the only team to benefit from the aforementioned list?

easjer
12-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Toronto certainly benefited from Dirk's absence.

eisfeld
12-31-2010, 01:22 AM
And Houston without Yao.

So what's the point? Other teams played the exact same teams without their "star" players and they even lost a couple of games. It's only a valid argument when it happens in the PO's.