PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Blazers, Roy weigh ending his season

duncan228
12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Sources: Blazers, Roy weigh ending his season (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26733823)
Ken Berger
CBS Sports

The Trail Blazers are involved in ongoing discussions aimed at determining how much longer Brandon Roy will have to rest his ailing knees. Among several options under consideration is shutting Roy down for the rest of the season in hopes he can restored to his previous All-Star status, two people with knowledge of the team's thinking told CBSSports.com.

The Blazers are in limbo, both with their .500 record and their posture in trade discussions, until they reach some definitive conclusions on how serious and long-term Roy's knee woes really are. Roy, who has missed the past six games while being re-evaluated on a daily basis, wants to return to the lineup. Though he’s been ruled out for Thursday night’s game against Utah, sources cautioned that he may very well decide, along with team physicians, to give playing another try in the near future. But the fear of recurring pain and swelling from a bone-on-bone condition in both knees, combined with the Blazers’ desire to protect their most important asset, means that wouldn’t necessarily be the best long-term solution.

"There are multiple options here," one of the sources said. "At the end of the day, it's got to be a decision the player is comfortable with."

Roy, along with his agent, Bob Myers, and the Portland medical staff, are weighing the merits of a game-to-game decision-making process on when Roy will be able to play. But there is consensus among some of Portland’s decision-makers and Roy’s camp that having him bounce in and out of the lineup indefinitely may not be in anyone’s best interests. Uncertainty surrounding his status would hinder coach Nate McMillan's ability to prepare for games and also become a distraction to teammates.

Putting Roy on a minute-limit seems unlikely, since he tried that after missing three games in November and decided it wasn't helping. Another course of action would be extending Roy's rest indefinitely, in the hopes that his knees would respond. But also on the table, even if Roy decides to play a few games in the near future, is shutting him down at some point through the remainder of the season, sources said. Along with the latest season-ending injury to 2007 first-round pick Greg Oden, such a move would be another blow to a franchise that felt it was on the cusp of championship contention.

"It would not surprise me to see him try to play again," one of the sources familiar with the team's strategy said. "It would not surprise me to see him set a date when he wants to try to play. And it would not surprise me if he doesn't play again this season. ... At this point, anything is a possibility. The doctors and Brandon are ultimately going to make that decision."

Trading Roy, who signed a five-year, $82 million extension in August 2009, won't be an option until potential suitors gain some clarity about whether Roy will ever return to his previous form. Sources have told CBSSports.com that Roy has a separate, outside insurance policy on his knees that could protect the Blazers -- or his new team -- depending on the timing and extent of any disability.

After he repeatedly had his knees drained early in the season, Roy revealed in November that there is no meniscus left in either knee. The bone-on-bone condition is something Roy, 26, said he would have to "deal with for the rest of my career."

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26733823

j.dizzle
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM
'Trading Roy, who signed a five-year, $82 million extension in August 2009'
BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIN! Wes Matthews > Roy

ElNono
12-30-2010, 06:04 PM
They should have traded his ass while he still had value...

Dex
12-30-2010, 06:05 PM
So much for my fantasy league comeback...

Mel_13
12-30-2010, 06:06 PM
They shouldn't have given him an 82M extension knowing the condition of those knees.

tbonewalker
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
They should have traded his ass while he still had value...

Kind of like the Spurs and Duncan.

ElNono
12-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Unlike Roy, Duncan is a franchise player, and can still lead a league leader...

lol Shaolin

jjktkk
12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5529/cowfail2.jpg

JamStone
12-30-2010, 07:07 PM
please pass the non-issue tissue :cry

Agloco
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
They shouldn't have given him an 82M extension knowing the condition of those knees.

This. I'm quite certain they made provisions for insurance on that contract though?

Shitty for Roy though either way. :depressed

JamStone
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Thinking the Spurs should have traded Duncan in the previous couple seasons doesn't actually sound that ridiculous to me if you look at it purely based on basketball. They could have probably gotten some really good maybe even great value in return. But we all know that there is a loyalty factor along with a bunch of other intangibles that make the notion pretty ridiculous in those other respects. For everything he has done for the Spurs and for what he can still provide in intangibles and from time to time still a very good player, it's crazy unless the Spurs and Duncan both came to a mutual agreement to part ways.

JamStone
12-30-2010, 07:12 PM
This. I'm quite certain they made provisions for insurance on that contract though?

Every decision is easier in retrospect. Could say the same about the Knicks giving Amare a $100 million contract. But we'll see if he can stay healthy enough and play at this level to be worth it. Every huge NBA contract is a gamble. I don't fault the Blazers for giving Roy that contract at all.

NRHector
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Kind of like the Spurs and Duncan.kind of like Bynum and Kobe

toki9
12-30-2010, 07:19 PM

i guess that says something about Pritchard...

DesignatedT
12-30-2010, 07:26 PM

fail.

tdunk21
12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

:vomit:

InRareForm
12-30-2010, 09:11 PM

logoff

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
can someone tell me the limitations of a player with no knees or ACLS? is it lateral movement and vertical? or playing through pain??

even though his not worth his contract, if it was at half price i take the gamble, his still young and i think even without knees, he could improved his game in other areas like efficiency at the ft line, shooting the midrange and 3pts...playin bowen like defense for positioning...i think that is still better then the 1 dimensional players in the league or bigs in the league without any vertical...

duncan228
12-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Roy out “indefinitely” because of sore knees (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-roy)

Portland All-Star guard Brandon Roy will be out “indefinitely” because of sore knees, the Trails Blazers said Thursday before their game against Utah.

The team did not put a timeline on Roy’s absence, but general manager Rich Cho suggested it would be lengthy.

“Unfortunately, Brandon Roy’s condition has not significantly improved and we’ve decided to hold him out indefinitely,” Cho said in a statement. “In the short term, we’re going to proceed with an extended period of rest. Beyond that, we’re looking at all available treatment options to help better determine a course of action.”

The three-time All-Star has missed nine games this season, including the last six, because of knee issues.

Roy is averaging 16.6 points in 23 games this season. For his career, the 2007 NBA Rookie of the Year, is averaging 19.9 points and 4.9 assists.

Roy’s knees have bothered him all season, and coach Nate McMillan had tired unsuccessfully to limit his minutes. Roy has said his problem is lack of cartilage in both knees.

Last season he had arthroscopic surgery to repair the meniscus in his right knee two days before the Blazers opened their first-round playoff series against Phoenix. He made a remarkable comeback and played in the fourth game of the series, which the Suns eventually won.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-roy

ElNono
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Decision made, looks like

Cane
12-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Well imo it was pretty stupid to let Roy play in the playoffs after his surgery and it looks even dumber in hindsight. Injuries blow but its not like they were playing it safe...basically gambled.

HeavyWeight
12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Unlike Roy, Duncan is a franchise player, and can still lead a league leader...

lol Shaolin.

DJ Mbenga
12-30-2010, 10:39 PM
im not so sure rest will fix eveyrhing. they need to blow it up right now. i dont mean their young player i mean their vets. pryzbilla, camby need to get shipped out. miller as well. try to reload, cause they still have batum, and alridge, some nice young talent. im sure the knicks would die to have camby back.

crc21209
12-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Too damn bad. When Roy was healthy he was ballin'....