PDA

View Full Version : Barkley calls Spurs "the most overrated team in the NBA".

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Lol, I love this guy. He may not always be right but hey he's entertaining.

This was on the half time show for the Orlando Knicks game, btw.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
So.

InRareForm
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I think Charles bet the under on the total number of games spurs would win this year. Don't understand the hate lol

Amarelooms
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Not sure about most over-rated but they are over-rated....they aren't as good as their record for sure.

God bless you and your family though

:elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I think Charles bet the under on the total number of games spurs would win this year. Don't understand the hate lol

I'm pretty sure everyone bet the under. Nobody thought we would be 27-4.

ThePop
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
He's entitled to his opinion.

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Not sure about most over-rated but they are over-rated....they aren't as good as their record for sure.

?

Thank you for your well wishes.

FilSpursFan
12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Barkley may kiss donkey's butt on this again! hahaha!

UnWantedTheory
12-30-2010, 08:39 PM
So? I don't think we are over-rated. We are not spoken of like a team that has a 27-4 record. It is always Dallas, Celtics, Heat, etc.

Mark in Austin
12-30-2010, 08:43 PM
If the Spurs were a top 5 defensive team with the record they have now, then the record would accurately reflect the team. Right now when you compare the record to the quality of the defense, they are a little overrated.

Anonymous Cowherd
12-30-2010, 08:43 PM

these are two very different things though

everyone would agree the Spurs aren't as good as their record... if we were, we'd be going on for 73 wins this season

however, "most overrated"? very different story. it wasn't that everyone was writing us off, more that nobody was counting us in. Even when we started winning we're continually overlooked while other teams are hyped up instead.

BanditHiro
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
If the Spurs were a top 5 defensive team with the record they have now, then the record would accurately reflect the team. Right now when you compare the record to the quality of the defense, they are a little overrated.

that is not being overrated though...the media and fans are the only people that can overrate a team and currently, even with the best record, very few think we are the best team in the nba or the best team in texas

Big P
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
How can you be the most overrated team if you have the best record?

Please_dont_ban_me
I have to see in the past few weeks I may have agreed with Barkley.

But with big recent wins and role players really stepping up, I'm a believer. We may not win 73, but we're pretty damn good and we'll give anyone we face in the playoffs a tough time.

Anonymous Cowherd
OKC are the most overrated team in the NBA, just to add.

Please_dont_ban_me

Being overrated implies having a good record. How can you be overrated and have a shitty record?

EricD
12-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Barkley says if you put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger, you will have 10 million dollars in your savings account.

There goes half of Spurstalk (morons).

Amuseddaysleeper
12-30-2010, 08:50 PM
He actually said that? I have a hard time believing that considering no one is really talking about the Spurs.

FilSpursFan
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Charles is drunk again...
:whine:whine:toast

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
He actually said that? I have a hard time believing that considering no one is really talking about the Spurs.

This is how the convo went:

Kenny: So chuck, who is the most overrated team in the NBA?

Chuck: San Antonio Spurs

Not really much more to it. He was a bit hesitant I have to say, but he definitely said it and meant it.

spurs10
Being overrated implies having a good record. How can you be overrated and have a shitty record?
Lakers?

NASpurs
I think the only way you can tell if a team is overrated is in the playoffs.

Manu20
http://www.eatliver.com/img/2010/5695.jpg

spurspokesman
12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Barkley always gives the spurs props. He has to shaft em every now and then.:lol

tdunk21
12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
barkley is running his mouth coz spurs still are not a top 5 defensive team....

Capt Bringdown
12-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Barkley knows a thing or two about being overrated from personal experience.

ohmwrecker
12-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Who gives a shit? It's Chuck's job to say crazy shit and from his perspective, he's absolutely right. Until the Spurs take what they have accomplished this season and turn it into a championship (or, at the very least, a deep playoff run), they are overrated.
I know a lot of Spurs' fans like to live under the delusion that the Spurs are disrespected or ignored by the media and that they "fly under the radar", but it's just not true. The Spurs are getting plenty of hype this year and deservedly so, but the only thing they have proven so far is that they aren't dead and the window is still open, but I told you people that this summer.

ElNono
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Don't people actually have to talk about you to be overrated?
I think we made more noise when Orlando beat us than when we beat the Lakers, tbh

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Lakers?

How is 22-10 and 4th place in the West a shitty record?

spurs10
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Consider the source. Didn't Barkley recently owe several hundred thousand dollars in gambling debts? Not great at picking a winner apparently.

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Barkley always gives the spurs props. He has to shaft em every now and then.:lol

Hah true. I can't really hate the guy, he has given the Spurs a lot of love. It's his opinion, so be it.

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 09:30 PM

:lmao

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Who gives a shit? It's Chuck's job to say crazy shit and from his perspective, he's absolutely right. Until the Spurs take what they have accomplished this season and turn it into a championship (or, at the very least, a deep playoff run), they are overrated.
I know a lot of Spurs' fans like to live under the delusion that the Spurs are disrespected or ignored by the media and that they "fly under the radar", but it's just not true. The Spurs are getting plenty of hype this year and deservedly so, but the only thing they have proven so far is that they aren't dead and the window is still open, but I told you people that this summer.

Not sure that anyone really overly gives a shit. Just an acknowledgment of his comment.

Please_dont_ban_me
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Don't people actually have to talk about you to be overrated?
I think we made more noise when Orlando beat us than when we beat the Lakers, tbh

This is true.

I think that is why a lot of people aren't talking about us though. They figure we are overrated and will eventually come back down to earth.

spurs10
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
How is 22-10 and 4th place in the West a shitty record?
Ask them what they think of their record. I'm sure according to their high expectations, their record is not so hot.

Seventyniner
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
http://knickerblogger.net/statpage/2011/index.htm

Team Win% Exp. win% Difference
Spurs 0.871 0.760 +0.111
Mavs 0.800 0.693 +0.107
Lakers 0.688 0.708 -0.020
Celtics 0.800 0.768 +0.034
Heat 0.735 0.799 -0.064
Exp. win% is expected win% (or Pythagorean win%), and is based on efficiency differential. It's historically a better predictor of future results than record alone, or even point differential alone (because exp. win% accounts for pace).

Maybe Chuck's on to something; the Spurs and Mavs aren't quite as good as their records show.

The most overrated team in the NBA? How about the Chicago Bulls, who are 20-10 but have an efficiency differential of 0, meaning that they're really performing like a .500 club.

Nathan Explosion
12-30-2010, 09:37 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone bet the under. Nobody thought we would be 27-4.

The line was 49.5 wins. Since the Spurs have won 50 games every season since 2000, I don't see why anyone would have bet the under.

FkLA
12-30-2010, 09:38 PM

This.

I dont think Chuck has a problem with the Spurs, he always showed us alot of love in the early/mid 2000s when everyone was all over the Lakers. The man is entitled to his opinion, he's not always right though obviously...even when he would pick us to win it all he wasnt always right.

TampaDude
12-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Barkley is funny, but wrong.

Rummpd
12-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Spurs near top of league in point differential and lead in Hollinger's offensive eff ratings - if anything Mavs over-rated based on point diff.

weebo
12-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Bill Parcell once said you are what your record says you are.

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Except the Mavs have had the #2 most difficult schedule, while the Spurs are #18, IIRC..

I don't think the Spurs/Mavs are overrated, but they obviously aren't as good as their records..

Nathan Explosion
12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Except the Mavs have had the #2 most difficult schedule, while the Spurs are #18, IIRC..

I don't think the Spurs/Mavs are overrated, but they obviously aren't as good as their records..

Hollinger's rankings take SOS into account though, so that point is moot.

HarlemHeat37
12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm talking about point differential, which was his last point, saying the "Mavs are overrated based on PT"..

Hollinger's efficiency and power rankings stats are extremely flawed anyways, and I say that as a fan of his..

lefty
12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Then I'm glad John Paxson cut his legs

angelbelow
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree, hes an entertaining person to watch cause he always says something stupid.

lefty
12-30-2010, 10:40 PM
He is mad, because John Paxson, the man who broke his heart in 1993, also played for the Spurs :D

http://ohiocardsblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/jpaxson93topps1.jpg

MmP
12-30-2010, 11:03 PM
wow from manu the best euro guy in the history to this, hard to understand..
i think the spurs are actually underrated if any... i mean 4 championships in 10 seasons, that's something and with the same coach and players.

DMC
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Why do the apologists show up to say "Charles is paid to say that" anytime someone points out his bullshit? Big fucking deal. Hollinger is paid for his bullshit ratings, that doesn't mean we should just take it in the ass and giggle like it's an examination.

ohmwrecker
12-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Not sure that anyone really overly gives a shit. Just an acknowledgment of his comment.

Some people obviously give a shit. Don't be so obtuse.

dbreiden83080
12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
How fat is Chuck these days??

Did he gain back the 100 pds he lost already??

lefty
12-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Did he gain back the 100 pds he lost already??
That might explain the butthurtness

And the acid reflux

KaiRMD1
12-31-2010, 12:17 AM
If him calling us overrated makes us lose then I'd have a problem with what he said but considering anything out of his mouth has no baring on our games, I'm gonna keep it moving.

spurtech09
12-31-2010, 12:42 AM
C.B. lol

tmtcsc
12-31-2010, 12:47 AM

I'm stunned. So simple a statement yet so accurate. Is being over-rated even possible if you have the best record ?

You want to know who is overrated ? The Lakers. The amount of love and attention that team gets with the record they have is ridiculous. Ok, so they have back to back titles. But this league is about today, and what have you done for me lately.

You know who else is overrated ? The Oklahoma City Thunder. What the hell have they done ?

CP48107
12-31-2010, 01:08 AM
I had so much faith in this team last year when Ginobli started playing well, and then they got swept by the Suns. I truly am worried by the fact that Dallas & Lakers both have so many big men while Bonner is so inconsistent. It's like one day he shows up making a bunch 3s and the next game he disappears.

As good as the Spurs is this year, I think they still need to trade for another big, but I doubt that is going to happen.

crc21209
12-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Once again, he was probably drunk people! :lol

DMC
12-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Barkley talked himself into another hole tonight. He loves everyone, and makes these predictions then backs out with all these caveats.

He's the most overrated personality in sports.

Chuck: Listen, I like the Spurs, but the Mavericks are the best team in Texas... It's like I told Kenny in the green room, I mean, listen, that guy we met the other day that asked about Chandler, I mean, OKC isn't going to be in the second round... because that guy who asked about... look... I like OKC, Kenny Durant... I mean Kevin Durant is, look.... I like Kevin... but he's not the leader on that team... I mean... yeah... tell me who's the leader?

TD 21
12-31-2010, 01:25 AM
This "not as good as their record indicates" talk is nonsense. Who is as good as 28-4? Maybe a handful of teams in the history of the game. Doesn't mean they're not an excellent team or that they haven't been the best team in the league this season.

What does this team have to do to get people to buy in? They could win 20 in a row by 10 a game and if they beat a few bottom feeders in there or eked a few out, that would be what people would focus on most. I'd be saying this if this were the Lakers, Mavs, anyone (although in those teams cases, if they were doing this people would be entrenched on the bandwagon).

If you don't think they're the favorites to win the championship, fine. But to still be pretending it's even a question as to whether they're "for real" or "a contender" is ridiculous. I don't have the exact numbers on this and don't feel like taking the time to find them, but I'm almost positive they have the best regular season record and point differential in this calendar year. This isn't a "run" or a "streak" anymore and it hasn't been for a long time.

DMC
12-31-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm stunned. So simple a statement yet so accurate. Is being over-rated even possible if you have the best record ?

Dallas Mavericks vs Golden State Warriors... Dallas had a monster record.

Cleveland Cavaliers for the past few seasons...

You want to know who is overrated ? The Lakers. The amount of love and attention that team gets with the record they have is ridiculous. Ok, so they have back to back titles. But this league is about today, and what have you done for me lately.
True, but then the Lakers have shown enough times they are who they say they are. We all hope for that season when they aren't, but we sure expect they are.

Not overrated. Under performing, yes.

You know who else is overrated ? The Oklahoma City Thunder. What the hell have they done ?Maybe. They are neck and neck with Utah.

The way these few top teams have had monster starts, a record like OKCs looks pale, but they are still playing "top 8 in the conference" ball.

DMC
12-31-2010, 01:45 AM
This "not as good as their record indicates" talk is nonsense. Who is as good as 28-4? Maybe a handful of teams in the history of the game. Doesn't mean they're not an excellent team or that they haven't been the best team in the league this season.

What does this team have to do to get people to buy in? They could win 20 in a row by 10 a game and if they beat a few bottom feeders in there or eked a few out, that would be what people would focus on most. I'd be saying this if this were the Lakers, Mavs, anyone (although in those teams cases, if they were doing this people would be entrenched on the bandwagon).

If you don't think they're the favorites to win the championship, fine. But to still be pretending it's even a question as to whether they're "for real" or "a contender" is ridiculous. I don't have the exact numbers on this and don't feel like taking the time to find them, but I'm almost positive they have the best regular season record and point differential in this calendar year. This isn't a "run" or a "streak" anymore and it hasn't been for a long time.

This!

No one will finish at that clip, but we are at that clip now. It is what it is at this time.

DrSteffo
12-31-2010, 02:07 AM
People here define "overrated" in two completely different ways but I think we all agree that we are not as good as our record says but on the other hand we don't get any media hype whatsoever.

Just imagine if Miami or the Fakers was 28-4....OMG the media people would go crazy.

But it's all good.

greyforest
12-31-2010, 02:12 AM
charles barkley isn't very good at gambling so his prediction of spurs failure always makes me laugh

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
charles this season = nba heel...

as for kenny smith has a change role this season

webber and earnie is just sitting there trying to correct these clowns into some sense

kenny smith is watchable this season when his not a heel disagreeing everything like previous years...

phyzik
12-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Barkley is going hardcore for the reverse jinx and people dont even see it.

He is a Spurs fan.

howbouthemspurs
12-31-2010, 04:08 AM
I wouldn't hold any weight on what chuck says. He is a borderline retard anyway.

Pero
12-31-2010, 06:32 AM
LMAO at all you butthurt Spursfans... I think he's half-right. The Spurs are overrated but probably not the most overrated.

temujin
12-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Actually, I think he is right.
I doubt the Spurs will win a title scoring 3s and with Blair and Bonner playing significant minutes at center.

But if they manage to incorporate Splitter and turn defense up vry seriously, as they have shown in the second halves of the NO, Lakers and partially Dallas games, they could be underrated actually.

Texas_Ranger
12-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't agree with him, but I'm with those who think that 3 pointers won't win us a championship. Sometimes it looks like we can only shoot 3's. Manu also shoots way too many shots from down town. We wil also need Splitter in the Playoffs cause of his size. I don't think Bonner will be shooting 40% in the playoffs from 3.

bigfan
12-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Barkley is good entertainment and I still like the guy even if he is stirring the pot with the Mavs this season. He'll eat his words during the playoffs.

Gospursel
12-31-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm not really concerned with what charles has to say, but he usually has a good point . Chuck seems to try and make a clean distinction between "good teams" and "elite teams". He thinks because of the spurs record many people think the spurs are an "elite team" when they are really a "very good team". My problem is that chuck overlooks the flaws of the teams he deems elite and sees what they are capable of at their best. Why can't he do the same for the spurs this season and realize that this team isn't close to peaking and has everything they need to be "elite" when it matters? double standard.

alchemist
12-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Chuck is TNT's version of Glenn Beck, they're paid to say crazy shit........don't pay attention to that moron.

GSH
12-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Barkley also said he was going to do a triathlon this year. He guaranteed that Yao Ming wouldn't score 19 points in a game his first season. He said that his gambling debts were just a misunderstanding. He said that everybody in Finland looks alike.

Barkley gets paid to be a circus clown. And he would do or say anything if it keeps him in doughnut money. He'll be there as long as people tune in.

ploto
12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
"We don't take too much out of the win," Popovich said. "A lot of things I think we did pretty sloppily. We're thrilled to get a win on the road -- anybody would be -- but we didn't show very much. We didn't improve as a team, that's for sure."

tmtcsc
12-31-2010, 10:28 AM
"We don't take too much out of the win," Popovich said. "A lot of things I think we did pretty sloppily. We're thrilled to get a win on the road -- anybody would be -- but we didn't show very much. We didn't improve as a team, that's for sure."

Yeah, I agree with those statements. But at the end of the day, you take the 'W' despite not playing your best.

Our deficiencies are going to get exposed sooner or later. The reliance on the 3 pointer is a little disturbing but they also seem to be making them. Has anyone else wondered how James Anderson is supposed to crack the rotation once he's healthy ? Whose minutes will he be taking ? Manu's ? Jefferson ? Neal ?

CubanMustGo
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't think too many serious Spurs fans are saying the team is head and shoulders above the rest of the league, but you know what? The teams that are supposedly better have more problems against serious competition than we do:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4767/1231201091806am.jpg

So go ahead, say SA has built its record against sub-par competition, but realize that only Dallas and Boston are in the same ballpark against better teams. Boston has played four more road games than SA; Dallas has actually played the same as SA. If you're talking the best teams in the NBA right now those should be the only ones in the conversation.

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/1120201022735pm.jpg

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 10:37 AM
So what? You guys are the most overrated team in the NBA... At least one of them.

You guys could barely beat us last night and that was with one hand tied behind our backs. (no dirk, no haywood, a 3 of 16 Jason Terry, and still just a 6 pt nail biter?)

ohmwrecker
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
So what? You guys are the most overrated team in the NBA... At least one of them.

You guys could barely beat us last night and that was with one hand tied behind our backs. (no dirk, no haywood, and a 3 of 16 Jason Terry)

Let me get this out of the way:

I don't understand how anyone could get this butthurt over something Charles Barkley said. Half the show is Ernie and Kenny making fun of the shit Chuck says. If Chuck doesn't say crazy shit, there is no show.

Now, the Spurs didn't "barely" beat the Mavs. The final score doesn't indicate much. The Spurs were in control the entire game. There was terrible shooting from both teams and some mental errors by the Spurs that kept it close, but the Spurs had this game pretty much from the get go.
Caron Butler scored 30 on 21 shots. If Dirk played, Butler wouldn't have come close to that and you can pretty much scratch Cardinal and Ajinca's contributions too. Terry got locked down on D and Haywood was DNP coaches decision. I don't see how that is an indication of anything really.
The only Mavs player that impressed me was Kidd. That dude is super-human.

CubanMustGo
12-31-2010, 10:53 AM
lol grey mavfan
lol missing the point
lol typical

Spursfanfromafar
12-31-2010, 11:04 AM
http://knickerblogger.net/statpage/2011/index.htm

Team Win% Exp. win% Difference
Spurs 0.871 0.760 +0.111
Mavs 0.800 0.693 +0.107
Lakers 0.688 0.708 -0.020
Celtics 0.800 0.768 +0.034
Heat 0.735 0.799 -0.064
Exp. win% is expected win% (or Pythagorean win%), and is based on efficiency differential. It's historically a better predictor of future results than record alone, or even point differential alone (because exp. win% accounts for pace).

Maybe Chuck's on to something; the Spurs and Mavs aren't quite as good as their records show.

The most overrated team in the NBA? How about the Chicago Bulls, who are 20-10 but have an efficiency differential of 0, meaning that they're really performing like a .500 club.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4767/1231201091806am.jpg

So go ahead, say SA has built its record against sub-par competition, but realize that only Dallas and Boston are in the same ballpark against better teams. Boston has played four more road games than SA; Dallas has actually played the same as SA. If you're talking the best teams in the NBA right now those should be the only ones in the conversation.

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/1120201022735pm.jpg

Both good points..

Here's something from Basketball-reference, which uses both Pythagorean expected wins/losses and SRS to rank the best teams in the league.

B-R tells us that the Spurs' expected win-loss would be 24-8, i.e. the Spurs overperfomed by 4.. And that the expected win-loss record would still have the Spurs in second place, merely a game and a half behind the Heat.

Link - here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html).

In other words, there is no "over-rating" going on here. Just that statistical indicators say that the Spurs' record is slightly better than their performance and even so, their statistical record is among the top 2 in the league.

With expected defensive improvement, better integration of rookies - Splitter and Anderson and more meaningful games as the playoffs approach, I think the Spurs' expectations would only on the up and that means that the Spurs are at worst a Top 4-5 contender and at worst the Best in the League.

Considering this and the very little national media coverage for the team (in comparison to the acres of newsprint and trillions of terra-bytes spent on analysing the Heat), one can only conclude that the Spurs are still under-rated and under-hyped despite reality.

Blair420
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
i may be i may be wrong

i may be i may be wrong

i may be i may be wrong

TMTTRIO
12-31-2010, 12:05 PM
The weird thing is Barkley always used to pick the Spurs until his man Ginooooobili became so injury prone. Ever since then he's been more inclined to go with the other team.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Let me get this out of the way:

I don't understand how anyone could get this butthurt over something Charles Barkley said. Half the show is Ernie and Kenny making fun of the shit Chuck says. If Chuck doesn't say crazy shit, there is no show.

Now, the Spurs didn't "barely" beat the Mavs. The final score doesn't indicate much. The Spurs were in control the entire game. There was terrible shooting from both teams and some mental errors by the Spurs that kept it close, but the Spurs had this game pretty much from the get go.
Caron Butler scored 30 on 21 shots. If Dirk played, Butler wouldn't have come close to that and you can pretty much scratch Cardinal and Ajinca's contributions too. Terry got locked down on D and Haywood was DNP coaches decision. I don't see how that is an indication of anything really.
The only Mavs player that impressed me was Kidd. That dude is super-
human.

1) the score is indeed indicative of how the game went. Almost the entire 3rd and 4th quarter the point differential was about 7 points, other than the one run you guys made in the 2nd quarter. Either team could have won in the last 8 minutes... That's why marc stein and numerous other sports writers reviewed it as a good game.

2) wait a minute... When Manu has an off night it's o.k but when jet has an off night (which if you watched the game... It's not like he was shooting very tough shots) it was cuz of defense? I don't care if mj is guarding him, Terry doesn't shoot 3 for 16

3) yea ur right you can pretty much take away cardinals contributions if dirk had played... And replace the with about 24 points.

4) sorry, thought haywood was hurt... Apparently not, don't know what Rick was doing... George hill owned ajincia every time he drove against him.

Point is... The game was close the entire 4th quarter and you only locked the game up with a couple minutes remaining, and you know this if you watched it. Your tough games are just now coming up... I want to see y'all beat Miami Boston and Orlando. If you guys do that I'll agree that the spurs arent overrated.

DMC
12-31-2010, 12:59 PM
There's no science behind Barkley's comments. The fact that Kenny and EJ just look at him like "wha..da fack....?" should tell you that. Add to that the fact that Charles never goes back and discusses what he said last week. He skirts around it.

Charles engages in barbershop talk, not analyst talk. They have him there as an NBA analyst.

He's still funny as hell though. "I'm bout to slap the hell out choo Earnie"

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Charles must've had a couple too many before the half time show: :toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:whine:whine:w hine:whine:whine

dbreiden83080
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Spurs keep winning and people keep calling them over-rated but they keep winning. So if they are so over-rated why do they keep winning and winning and winning??

Duncan2177
12-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Charles is such a tool.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Spurs keep winning and people keep calling them over-rated but they keep winning. So if they are so over-rated why do they keep winning and winning and winning??

Look at who you are playing, y'all have had the 24th hardest schedule in the NBA. Why is it so hard to understand that people want to see you beat the best before being proclaimed the best?

You haven't beat Boston, orlando, or Miami. You could only beat us by 6 points with the leading MVP candidate in street clothes and Jason Terry having his worst game of the year. Look at it from the rest of the nba's perspective, not a homer's perspective.

Crickets
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Barkley is right on the Money!!

The spurts are the most Overrated "best record" in the NBA!

Quiet Strength
12-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't care what people think. The spurs have won most of their games so far and as a spurs fan I'm happy about it. It's way better than seeing them lose. The team looks good and if they can avoid injuries they will only get better.

ohmwrecker
12-31-2010, 02:22 PM
1) the score is indeed indicative of how the game went. Almost the entire 3rd and 4th quarter the point differential was about 7 points, other than the one run you guys made in the 2nd quarter. Either team could have won in the last 8 minutes... That's why marc stein and numerous other sports writers reviewed it as a good game.

It was a close game. I wouldn't call it a "good" game necessarily. The Spurs were in control for the majority of minutes. Props to the Mavs for keeping it interesting without their go to guy, but the Spurs did as much to shoot themselves in the foot as the Mavs did to stop them. Inopportune turnovers and horrendous shooting helped keep the game close. If it wasn't for Manu and Neal hitting those big threes and Duncan making some shot in the 3rd, the Mavs could have easily pulled a win.

2) wait a minute... When Manu has an off night it's o.k but when jet has an off night (which if you watched the game... It's not like he was shooting very tough shots) it was cuz of defense? I don't care if mj is guarding him, Terry doesn't shoot 3 for 16

The Spurs did a good job on perimeter D and Terry didn't get as many open looks as he usually does. So, I disagree on that one. Manu can have an off night shooting because he contributes in so many other ways. Although, he did make a few big shots. If Terry has an off night shooting, he is pretty much useless.

3) yea ur right you can pretty much take away cardinals contributions if dirk had played... And replace the with about 24 points.

And most of those would've come at Butler's expense.

4) sorry, thought haywood was hurt... Apparently not, don't know what Rick was doing... George hill owned ajincia every time he drove against him.

Box score said DNP . . . Yeah, I don't understand Carlisle at all. He seems hellbent on under utilizing his talent pool.

Point is... The game was close the entire 4th quarter and you only locked the game up with a couple minutes remaining, and you know this if you watched it. Your tough games are just now coming up... I want to see y'all beat Miami Boston and Orlando. If you guys do that I'll agree that the spurs arent overrated.

The Spurs had the lead from the 2nd quarter on and they were pretty much trading baskets in the 4th. The only time the Spurs weren't in control of the game was early in the 1st quarter. The rest of the game was spent making up for mistakes and staving off mini Mavs runs.

I agree. I want to see the Spurs beat those teams as well and I'll do you one better . . . unless the Spurs make it to the WCF or beyond, they are overrated.

Cessation
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Spurs play down to their competition too much, they relaxed when there was no dirk, so its not like you saw what the spurs are really capable of, pop admited as much.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 02:48 PM
It was a close game. I wouldn't call it a "good" game necessarily. The Spurs were in control for the majority of minutes. Props to the Mavs for keeping it interesting without their go to guy, but the Spurs did as much to shoot themselves in the foot as the Mavs did to stop them. Inopportune turnovers and horrendous shooting helped keep the game close. If it wasn't for Manu and Neal hitting those big threes and Duncan making some shot in the 3rd, the Mavs could have easily pulled a win.

The Spurs did a good job on perimeter D and Terry didn't get as many open looks as he usually does. So, I disagree on that one. Manu can have an off night shooting because he contributes in so many other ways. Although, he did make a few big shots. If Terry has an off night shooting, he is pretty much useless.

And most of those would've come at Butler's expense.

Box score said DNP . . . Yeah, I don't understand Carlisle at all. He seems hellbent on under utilizing his talent pool.

The Spurs had the lead from the 2nd quarter on and they were pretty much trading baskets in the 4th. The only time the Spurs weren't in control of the game was early in the 1st quarter. The rest of the game was spent making up for mistakes and staving off mini Mavs runs.

I agree. I want to see the Spurs beat those teams as well and I'll do you one better . . . unless the Spurs make it to the WCF or beyond, they are
overrated.

This isn't important enough to keep up a point by point debate, but I'll say this. Caron wouldn't have scored 30 if dirk had played, but if dirk had played think about how much better Terry (and really almost everyone on offense) would have done? You either double dirk like everyone else and he gets around his average while everyone else like Terry gets good shots or you play dirk
straight up and let him score 30+ while containing everyone else. That's the choice you have when you play the mavs. Dirk is everything to the mavericks.

And yes it was a close game, we lost by 6 points. There is really no argument that can be used to persuade anyone that the mavericks wouldn't have overcome a 6 point defect if their MVP candidate hadnt of been in street clothes. The mavericks revolve around dirk.

ohmwrecker
12-31-2010, 02:54 PM
This isn't important enough to keep up a point by point debate, but I'll say this. Caron wouldn't have scored 30 if dirk had played, but if dirk had played think about how much better Terry (and really almost everyone on offense) would have done? You either double dirk like everyone else and he gets around his average while everyone else like Terry gets good shots or you play dirk straight up and let him score 30+ while containing everyone else.

Exhibit A: first round of the 09-10 playoffs.

It was a close game, we lost by 6 points. There is really no argument that can be used to persuade anyone that the mavericks wouldn't have overcome a 6 point defect with their MVP candidate in street clothes. The mavericks revolve around dirk.

Other than the fact that they couldn't do it? You might have a point.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Exhibit A: first round of the 09-10 playoffs.

Other than the fact that they couldn't do it? You might have a point.

You know what I meant, I'm not typing on a computer so I'll probably mess up numerous times. You can't persuade anyone that the mavs still would have lost by 6 points or more. We beat you guys fairly decisively last time we played with dirk. You can't persuade anyone that the spurs are better than the mavs. even Miami heat fans are coming to this board to back up charlses statement last night. If Orlando blew you guys out, it's a safe bet to say Miami will do the same. You have 0 interior defense, whats the last time a team won a ring with that kind of defense in the paint? Your center is 6-6, you really think your going to beat Orlando or Boston in a 7 game series with Blair anchoring the paint?

GSH
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM

You guys could barely beat us last night and that was with one hand tied behind our backs. (no dirk, no haywood, a 3 of 16 Jason Terry, and still just a 6 pt nail biter?)

Man, that loss must be tasting really freaking awful to you right now. Is it like swallowing your own vomit? Do all the excuses make it even harder to accept? Are you kicking the dog today?

Just thinking about it is making me have a better day. Happy New Year.

ohmwrecker
12-31-2010, 03:29 PM
You know what I meant, I'm not typing on a computer so I'll probably mess up numerous times. You can't persuade anyone that the mavs still would have lost by 6 points or more. We beat you guys fairly decisively last time we played with dirk. You can't persuade anyone that the spurs are better than the mavs. even Miami heat fans are coming to this board to back up charlses statement last night. If Orlando blew you guys out, it's a safe bet to say Miami will do the same. You have 0 interior defense, whats the last time a team won a ring with that kind of defense in the paint? Your center is 6-6, you really think your going to beat Orlando or Boston in a 7 game series with Blair anchoring the paint?

There are maybe one, or two legit Heat fans on this board and the dude you are talking about isn't one of them. If you are going to rely on the testimony of trolls while becoming a troll yourself, you have already lost my friend.
Tim Duncan anchors the post D, not Blair, and if you will remember, McDyess did a pretty solid job of defending Dirk in the playoffs last season. That is awfully big talk from a fan of a team whose only post defender is Chandler and no one else. You are starting to expose yourself as a novice fan with very little knowledge of the game.

btw the Spurs have already beat Orlando this season.

GSH
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM

If my memory serves me, you guys have lost in the playoffs to a 1,2,3,4,6,7, and 8 seed. You only lack one to hit for the cycle. That's gotta be some kind of record. You could write a book on reasons the Mavs don't win in the playoffs, and you want to come here and talk about why you think the Spurs can't win?

Well... what else do you have to do?

Seriously, you feel as bad as Cuban looked last night, don't you? Please say yes. That makes it so much better for me.

TVI
12-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Barkley is right on the Money!!

The spurts are the most Overrated "best record" in the NBA!

LOL @ the butt hurt troll

TVI
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
We beat you guys fairly decisively last time we played with dirk.

Umm...not really...Dallas closed it out very well at the end, but the Spurs were actually ahead with less than 5 minutes left in the game (88-86). Hardly the start-to-finish decisive win you're alluding to.

Last night was the Spurs game to lose...they had the lead from the end of the first quarter through the end of the game. A few mental errors and some sloppy play allowed Dallas to close to within 6 a couple times, but the Spurs were never really in danger of losing last night.

Though they're a far cry from the defensive powerhouse we're accustomed to seeing, the Spurs have made great improvements in their defensive play since Pop called them out after the Orlando game, holding opponents to well below what they were allowing up to that point (98.7 ppg).

So all-in-all, I agree that Dallas fared well without Dirk, and I expected as much since they're a good, deep team with some good players who can go off on any given night, but (1) they didn't dominate the previous game, and (2) the Spurs are showing signs of defensive improvement without sacrificing the early season wins. It's a nice place to be right now.

One more point: Our current center is 6'6" but we do have this other 6'11" Brazillian fella who was the top Euro player last year, and who's currently being folded into the system. Expect to see a lot more of him as the season wears on.

GSH
12-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Umm...not really...Dallas closed it out very well at the end, but the Spurs were actually ahead with less than 5 minutes left in the game (88-86). Hardly the start-to-finish decisive win you're alluding to.

Yeah, selective memory is a bitch, huh? That's why I'm sure so many Mavs trolls are really miserable today. In their mind they blew us out of the first game, and just got screwed out of another blowout last night.

I really enjoyed the look on Cuban's face last night. And I really do picture each one of these trolls with that same look on their faces. I find it makes their comments downright enjoyable.

dbreiden83080
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Look at who you are playing, y'all have had the 24th hardest schedule in the NBA. Why is it so hard to understand that people want to see you beat the best before being proclaimed the best?

You haven't beat Boston, orlando, or Miami. You could only beat us by 6 points with the leading MVP candidate in street clothes and Jason Terry having his worst game of the year. Look at it from the rest of the nba's perspective, not a homer's perspective.

Wait so now Miami is good? 2 months ago they sucked shit and were a train wreck.. Now we have to beat them to prove ourselves. We just beat the Lakers and are beating everyone in front of us shit-bird.. A team that has won 28 of their first 32 is a tremendous team.. Don't be a retard and suggest otherwise..

I Heart Ginobili
12-31-2010, 05:02 PM

We did beat orlando... Maybe not the new orlando, which was on the tail end of a 4 game in 5 day stretch, which is understandable. But we did beat them pretty handily a month ago.

Also we have the 16th hardest schedule. so its pretty average.

and finally we are 14-3 against over 500 teams, which just happens to be the best rate in the league, with the mavs in close second at 15-4.

sooooooo your point is????

rr2418
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Come June when the Spurs are winning their 5th NBA Championship, will it really matter if they are over-rated?

:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

timtonymanurich
12-31-2010, 07:58 PM
THIS comment of NONSENSE coming from a man who has NEVER won a title....
But we all should listen because Barkley is the NBA's prophet.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
There are maybe one, or two legit Heat fans on this board and the dude you are talking about isn't one of them. If you are going to rely on the testimony of trolls while becoming a troll yourself, you have already lost my friend.
Tim Duncan anchors the post D, not Blair, and if you will remember, McDyess did a pretty solid job of defending Dirk in the playoffs last season. That is awfully big talk from a fan of a team whose only post defender is Chandler and
no one else. You are starting to expose yourself as a novice fan with very little knowledge of the game.

btw the Spurs have already beat Orlando this season.

Sorry we have Chandler haywood ajincia and mahimi manning the paint, along with dirk and Marion. Dirks an underrated defender and his size in itself is enough to alter shots.... Anyway, we have one of the best defenses in the league, duncan is old and doesn't do nearly as good of a job of dominating the paint defensively as Chandler does. You have no room to talk with your interior d this season... So honestly I don't what your talking about, only
Chandler?

O, and you beat Orlando before thier big trade... Congrats. They blew you out
shortly after they played us. Probably because your interior d blows and howard dominated you.

O and by the way I'm not new to this game. I was a walk on at purdue university for 2 years and have been an NBA junkie for as long as I can remember. Probably know a bit more bout the game than you do to be honest :rolleyes

easjer
12-31-2010, 10:44 PM
shortly after they played us. Probably because your interior d blows and howard dominated you.

O and by the way I'm not new to this game. I was a walk on at purdue university for 2 years and have been an NBA junkie for as long as I can remember. Probably know a bit more bout the game than you do to be honest :rolleyes

You don't talk like you know much about it.

You wanted the Spurs to beat Orlando? They did. Then you backtrack - it wasn't after the trade. No - that's how the game works.

If all you are going to do is make excuses, then the Spurs have a pretty good one for that loss; it was the second night of a back to back and the fourth game in five nights. So it must not really count, since that isn't the norm (or so your arguments in favor of the Mavs seem to be).

You keep yapping about how the Mavs only lost by 6, but not mentioning that the Spurs allowed them to score a 3 in the closing seconds after the game had been conceded and they were standing around waiting for the final seconds to drain away. So your argument is a bit specious. The game was conceded with the Spurs up by 9.

There was only 1 point in the game after the opening back and forth that was a legitimate concern for the Spurs or that one could argue that the Spurs were not in control, which is during the third when the lead was cut to 1. The Spurs responded to that by going on a run, and for the remainder of the third and all of the fourth, they lead by at least two possessions. The Mavs made it interesting to watch, instead of a blowout, which is what I expected from the Mavs playing a division rival at home. Good on them for doing it, and an eye roll to the Spurs for the mental errors and lackadaisical effort that prevented it from being a blowout.

It's hard to call a team overrated when the team has the best record in the league, sustained over several weeks, and also has the best record in the league against +.500 teams. There are other things that might be said - the Spurs aren't title contenders despite their record, that their record (while top of the league) isn't indicative of their post-season ability. But to continue arguing that they are somehow overrated just makes you look silly.

We get it; you are a Mavs fan. Huzzah. You don't like your division rivals. Shocking. But at least be up front about your prejudices instead of pretending you are discussing basketball. You aren't. You are making excuses.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=easjer;4863848]You don't talk like you know much about it.

You wanted the Spurs to beat Orlando? They did. Then you backtrack - it wasn't after the trade. No - that's how the game works.

If all you are going to do is make excuses, then the Spurs have a pretty good one for that loss; it was the second night of a back to back and the fourth game in five nights. So it must not really count, since that isn't the norm (or so your arguments in favor of the Mavs seem to be).

You keep yapping about how the Mavs only lost by 6, but not mentioning that the Spurs allowed them to score a 3 in the closing seconds after the game had been conceded and they were standing around waiting for the final seconds to drain away. So your argument is a bit specious. The game was conceded with the Spurs up by 9.

There was only 1 point in the game after the opening back and forth that was a legitimate concern for the Spurs or that one could argue that the Spurs were not in control, which is during the third when the lead was cut to 1. The Spurs responded to that by going on a run, and for the remainder of the third and all of the fourth, they lead by at least two possessions. The Mavs made it interesting to watch, instead of a blowout, which is what I expected from the Mavs playing a division rival at home. Good on them for doing it, and an eye
roll to the Spurs for the mental errors and lackadaisical effort that prevented it from being a blowout.

It's hard to call a team overrated when the team has the best record in the
league, sustained over several weeks, and also has the best record in the league against +.500 teams. There are other things that might be said - the Spurs aren't title contenders despite their record, that their record (while top of the league) isn't indicative of their post-season ability. But to continue arguing that they are somehow overrated just makes you look silly.

You guys didn't close the game out until 2 minutes were left in the 4th quarter. It want supposed to be interesting, everyone knows the mavs cant compete without dirk.... Just like ock can't without Durant or Orlando without Howard. It was supposed to be somewhat of a breeze, yet it was CLOSE... Last night didnt look great for you.

Also you broaden the argument when you say best record over .500.... There Are a lot of pretty good teams over .500, there about 3 maybe 4 elite teams though. You haven't beat any of them in a legit manner.... This is what the mavs are accused of every season and only until last season did it sink in. You don't have the interior d to compete against the big boys.

mikeschy55
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=easjer;4863848]You don't talk like you know much about it.

You keep yapping about how the Mavs only lost by 6, but not mentioning that the Spurs allowed them to score a 3 in the closing seconds after the game had been conceded and they were standing around waiting for the final seconds to drain away. So your argument is a bit specious. The game was conceded wi the Spurs up by 9.

There was only 1 point in the game after the opening back and forth that was a legitimate concern for the Spurs or that one could argue that the Spurs were not in control, which is during the third when the lead was cut to 1. The Spurs responded to that by going on a run, and for the remainder of the third and all of the fourth, they lead by at least two possessions. The Mavs made it interesting to watch, instead of a blowout, which is what I expected from the Mavs playing a division rival at home. Good on them for doing it, and an eye
roll to the Spurs for the mental errors and lackadaisical effort that prevented from being a blowout.

It's hard to call a team overrated when the team has the best record in the
league, sustained over several weeks, and also has the best record in the league against +.500 teams. There are other things that might be said - the
Spurs aren't title contenders despite their record, that their record (while top of the league) isn't indicative of their post-season ability. But to continue arguing that they are somehow overrated just makes you look silly.

You guys didn't close the game out until 2 minutes were left in the 4th quarter. It want supposed to be interesting, everyone knows the mavs cant
compete without dirk.... Just like ock can't without Durant or Orlando without
Howard. It was supposed to be somewhat of a breeze, yet it was CLOSE... Last night didnt look great for you

Also you broaden the argument when you say best record over .500.... There Are a lot of pretty good teams over .500, there about 3 maybe 4 elite teams though. You haven't beat any of them in a legit manner.... This is what the mavs are accused of every season and only until last season did it sink in. You
don't have the interior d to compete against the big boys.

Lastly, your making yourself look like a newb (or a homer grasping for a straw) by blaming your team for a lacidasical effort against a division rival. So predictable.... Those that watched TNT last night knows there was no lack of effort, duncan turned it on regardless of dirks presence

DMC
01-01-2011, 12:30 AM
You guys didn't close the game out until 2 minutes were left in the 4th quarter. It want supposed to be interesting, everyone knows the mavs cant compete without dirk.... Just like ock can't without Durant or Orlando without Howard. It was supposed to be somewhat of a breeze, yet it was CLOSE... Last night didnt look great for you.

Also you broaden the argument when you say best record over .500.... There Are a lot of pretty good teams over .500, there about 3 maybe 4 elite teams though. You haven't beat any of them in a legit manner.... This is what the mavs are accused of every season and only until last season did it sink in. You don't have the interior d to compete against the big boys.

Every win is in a legit manner. Match ups in real life aren't like those in a video game where you look at the points beside the team's name and pick the highest one, and your friend tries to get as close as possible. In real life, teams come with who they have. There's no column for non full strength wins.

So, your post reeks of being a neophyte basketball watcher, and being butthurt at the same time.

If the Lakers had our record, winning the same way we have against the same teams with the same injuries, no one but butt hurt opponents would be calling their wins illegitimate.

You also don't know how to use quote tags to separate posts.

Cessation
01-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Wow this is one butthurt emo mavfan. Full of excuses, and trying way too hard to convince himself mavs are better, lol.

mikeschy55
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Every win is in a legit manner. Match ups in real life aren't like those in a video game where you look at the points beside the team's name and pick the highest one, and your friend tries to get as close as possible. In real life, teams come with who they have. There's no column for non full strength wins.

So, your post reeks of being a neophyte basketball watcher, and being butthurt at the same time.

If the Lakers had our record, winning the same way we have against the same teams with the same injuries, no one but butt hurt opponents would be calling their wins illegitimate.

You also don't know how to use quote tags to separate posts.

Ok so a win over Dallas without dirk is just as legit as a win over Dallas with dirk? Statistically speaking your right (makes your hollow record that much better) but there's a reason your coach left the game saying "we don't make much out of this win." There is a reason why sports writers are writing collumns right now titling "Spurs still looking for test." your argument is that a
win is a win no matter what, injuries are a part of the game, and you cant reinvent what would happen with dirk. All that's true, but it doesn't change the most basic facts and the most common perception.... Which is, dirk, more than likely, overcomes a 6 point defect. Yes there are too many variables and hypotheticals to reinvent the game... But common sense would indicate that the leading MVP candidate could push dallas over the top with a game that close. You guys would be saying the same thing about Duncan and/or Manu if they were out, rightfully so... And you know it.

And yea, if the lakers were doing the same thing as you were doing there wouldn't be as many detractors, but the lakers aren't starting a 6-6 center and a 34 year old Duncan to patrol the paint on defense. They have the front court depth and interior d to compete against the big boys. You don't.

Every single one of you sounds like a homer desperately trying to convince themselves that the spurs are the best team in the NBA, and in doing so writing off perfectly good points by a "butt hurt" mavs fan.

For example... In the history of the NBA, has a team EVER one a ring by starting a 6-6 center? No, and it's not likely to happen this year either.

Mel_13
01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Every single one of you sounds like a homer desperately trying to convince themselves that the spurs are the best team in the NBA, and in doing so writing off perfectly good points by a "butt hurt" mavs fan.

Of course, you're perfectly objective. :rolleyes

For example... In the history of the NBA, has a team EVER one a ring by starting a 6-6 center? No, and it's not likely to happen this year either.

The 1978 Bullets and Wes Unseld say hi.

Now why don't you tell us which NBA champion featured a 7' SG as their franchise player or which NBA champion made frequent use of a zone to hide their defensive deficiencies.

Spursfanfromafar
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
And yea, if the lakers were doing the same thing as you were doing there wouldn't be as many detractors, but the lakers aren't starting a 6-6 center and a 34 year old Duncan to patrol the paint on defense. They have the front court depth and interior d to compete against the big boys. You don't.

Oh..is that why the 6'6 center looked the best frontcourt player in the game against the Lakers?

Average Spur fan is cautious about the start while being euphoric about the fact that his team is contending for a ring again. Average Mav fan has had too many orgasms despite following a squad that is second best to the Spurs so far.

Who is more objective?

mikeschy55
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Of course, you're perfectly objective. :rolleyes

The 1978 Bullets and Wes Unseld say hi.

Now why don't you tell us which NBA champion featured a 7' SG as their franchise player or which NBA champion made frequent use of a zone to hide their defensive deficiencies.

So we can't win a ring with a 7 footer who can spread the floor and shoot lights out as our power forward? I think you will find most gms around the league to be in disagreement with you.

What good championship teams have used the zone? Try the lakers... The pistons in 03... A lot of teams use zone to throw their opponents off. In case you didn't notice, we used the zone once last night for an extended period of time. That was in the fourth quarter.

Lol... You actually did the research?? Great it happened 30 some years ago, but Blair is no Wes unseld is he?

mikeschy55
01-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh..is that why the 6'6 center looked the best frontcourt player in the game against the Lakers?

Average Spur fan is cautious about the start while being euphoric about the fact that his team is contending for a ring again. Average Mav fan has had too many orgasms despite following a squad that is second best to the Spurs so far.

Who is more objective?

This with Andrew Bynum playing a whopping 20 minutes... Half the time while Blair was on the bench. Wow, Blair pushed around that wussy pau gasol and Lamar odom, something a lot of people have been doing recently. What about the Dallas game? He played 12 minutes and scored 4 points and grabbed one
board. What happened? Tyson Chandler?

Your not going to win in the playoffs with a 6-6 center. The mavericks didn't win a ring this decade mostly due to a lack of interior d (and corrupted zebras) you guys have the same problem. We could beat you a million times this season and you'd still think the spurs were better.

You had two tests this year. Being healthy and not being the timberwolves means a great deal, maybe you guys underestimate it. You lost to Dallas at full strength and Orlando. You have not beaten the best, therefore, you cannot legitimately say you are the best. I think most the league feels the same way

Spursfanfromafar
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
This with Andrew Bynum playing a whopping 20 minutes... Half the time while Blair was on the bench. Wow, Blair pushed around that wussy pau gasol and Lamar odom, something a lot of people have been doing recently. What about the Dallas game? He played 12 minutes and scored 4 points and grabbed one

Your not going to win in the playoffs with a 6-6 center. The mavericks didn't win a ring this decade mostly due to a lack of interior d (and corrupted zebras) you guys have the same problem. We could beat you a million times this season and you'd still think the spurs were better.

You had two tests this year. Being healthy and not being the timberwolves means a great deal, maybe you guys underestimate it. You lost to Dallas at full strength and Orlando. You have not beaten the best, therefore, you cannot legitimately say you are the best. I think most the league feels the same way

Ha ha.. says the fool who supports a team which lost to the Craptors of all teams, because Dirk Nowitzki didn't play a game. It is plain clear that the Mavs are over-reliant on Dirk while the rest just plug away in mediocrity.

The Spurs on the other hand, handled a no show by Tim Duncan (just 2 points) by showing a greater arsenal than the 2010 Champions.

Besides if the Spurs beat the Mavs, 4-2 last year in a season where their squad featured useless scrap such as Keith Bogans and Roger Mason; I bet they will thump the Mavs in a season where they have better sharpshooters, have a new and upcoming 7 footer in Splitter and have a solid bench than never before.

elec99
01-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Chandler is not the solution for mavs, if you want to follow the blueprint for championship teams, it calls for a center who can score by backing people down. Tyson still gets his on alley-oops, being open, but not backing other 7 footers down.
Timmy can still do that, so far that is.
If youre focusing on blair then maybe pop's jedi mind tricks have worked on you. Hes a nice distraction since he can produce on certain games.
Dont get me wrong, i'd love to have chandler as a defensive presence, but offensively he is not the answer. just look at his point total against against midget blair and an aging timmy, and that should say enough.

greyforest
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM

the four teams that have beaten the spurs must be The Best

elec99
01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
And I do love when barkely's opinions do not favor the spurs, or the opinions of any other analyst for that matter. We seem to do well when the world is against us. When their opinions do start to go in our favor is when they start coming up short.

TVI
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
...there's a reason your coach left the game saying "we don't make much out of this win."

You realize that Pop says that after every game, don't you? Pop never makes a big deal out of any regular season win, or even a playoff win, unless it's number 16. He's the first one to say "we haven't done anything yet..."

Crickets
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Charles Barkley is the Man he speaks the TRUTH!

ohmwrecker
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry we have Chandler haywood ajincia and mahimi manning the paint, along with dirk and Marion. Dirks an underrated defender and his size in itself is enough to alter shots.... Anyway, we have one of the best defenses in the league, duncan is old and doesn't do nearly as good of a job of dominating the paint defensively as Chandler does. You have no room to talk with your interior d this season... So honestly I don't what your talking about, only Chandler?

Haywood sucks (he was pretty useless vs the Spurs in last season's playoffs, not to mention that he appears to be in Carlisle's doghouse). Ajincia? Please. Mahinmi? We know all about Yawn. I would be shocked if he gets 1 minute of PT in the playoffs. Marion is still a pretty decent post player, but his best days are long gone and Dirk is an adequate defender at best. Chandler is far and away your best post defender and it's not even close.

O, and you beat Orlando before thier big trade... Congrats. They blew you out shortly after they played us. Probably because your interior d blows and howard dominated you.

Somewhat valid, but the Spurs beat the Magic with Howard who is by far their best player and he didn't exactly dominate the game. The "new look" Magic beat the Spurs on 2nd of a B2B in a 4 in 5 stretch. Pop also threw in the towel fairly early in that game so, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I doubt that. I'm not going to brag on the internet:rolleyes about my background, but I'm not impressed by yours or anything that you have said here, Bubba. You have yet to prove that you have any deep knowledge of the game.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Charles Barkley is the Man he speaks the TRUTH!He probably lost more money than you did betting against the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Dirks an underrated defender....Probably know a bit more bout the game than you do to be honest :rolleyes:rollin

elec99
01-01-2011, 03:42 PM
So we can't win a ring with a 7 footer who can spread the floor and shoot lights out as our power forward?

I think the short answer is no. That is a great complement to another center who can back down and score. Tyson is not that. Objectively speaking, timmy at full strength is the back down 7 footer, then bonner spreads the floor.

Dirk would be the 7 footer who shoots, but you still need a 7 footer who backs down. Tyson doesnt have that kind of game against another 7 footer. Many have tried to develop that from him, bulls, hornets, etc. He can clean it up around the boards, alley oops, run the floor, but when the game slows down and you need an easy two, he is not the guy these teams have been going to. Maybe you can develop that from him, that would be huge, but no others have been able to.

I was getting nervous watching timmy in the beginning since tyson is a wall on D, but the second half was another story and timmy ends up with 17 and 11. Tyson 8 and 11, which isnt bad at all, but many of the 8 were fast breaks, cleaning up someone elses missed shots, getting fouled by a smaller guy who was helpless against him.

Who will the mavs go to when the jumpshots stop dropping (and they will)? Not tyson. We can still go to timmy if he's healthy.

Mel_13
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
So we can't win a ring with a 7 footer who can spread the floor and shoot lights out as our power forward?

You haven't yet, despite a decade-long stretch of 50-win seasons. Nothing has changed to think that formula will work now.

What good championship teams have used the zone? Try the lakers... The pistons in 03...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Check your history book, MavFan, for the team that won the NBA Championship in 2003.

Lol... You actually did the research?? Great it happened 30 some years ago, but Blair is no Wes unseld is he?

Didn't need to do any research, most NBA fans over 12 are familiar with Unseld. You were the one so certain that it never happened. Just for a reminder:

Perhaps you should do a little research before making absolute statements like that.

barbacoataco
01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
The Spurs are ranked #3 by both Stein and Hollinger right now. So if they are "overrated" does that mean they are really only the 5th-7th best team in the NBA. I don't see how they are overrated.

Mel_13
01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
The Spurs are ranked #3 by both Stein and Hollinger right now. So if they are "overrated" does that mean they are really only the 5th-7th best team in the NBA. I don't see how they are overrated.

Overrated doesn't mean what Barkley thinks it means, but we know where he was going.

maddnezz
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
So we can't win a ring with a 7 footer who can spread the floor and shoot lights out as our power forward? I think you will find most gms around the league to be in disagreement with you.

What good championship teams have used the zone? Try the lakers... The pistons in 03... A lot of teams use zone to throw their opponents off. In case you didn't notice, we used the zone once last night for an extended period of time. That was in the fourth quarter.

Lol... You actually did the research?? Great it happened 30 some years ago, but Blair is no Wes unseld is he?:deadhorseWe get it. Dallas is better than SA. Now have your team win the championship, cause all your talk and stats and opinions mean nothing until............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

maddnezz
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ..............
.................................................. .................................................. .............
.................................................. .................................................. ................
.................................................. .................................................. .................
THIS :lobt:! Silly mav fan, just silly.:flag:

Agloco
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM

This post is full of fail. Gold, pure gold.

Cessation
01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Emo mav fan getting owned.

easjer
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Lastly, your making yourself look like a newb (or a homer grasping for a straw) by blaming your team for a lacidasical effort against a division rival. So predictable.... Those that watched TNT last night knows there was no lack of effort, duncan turned it on regardless of dirks presence

1. A newb? :lol Sure thing, sweetheart.

2. A homer? Right, ok. I make no bones about the fact that I am a Spurs fan more than a basketball fan, so if that makes me a homer, whatever. But your argument there is pretty weak, because a homer doesn't critically analyze their team's efforts in a win against a division rival. A homer gets in the face of another fan and talks shit.

So, no, I don't think in this instance I'm a homer. I'm actually looking at them and their play (and yes, I watched every moment of that nationally aired game, thanks), and shaking my head over their lackadaisical (your spelling and grammar are atrocious, btw - I even spelled it correctly for you) efforts, because there were plenty of bone-headed moments and poor choices throughout.

Ohhhh, I see. Your argument is that they aren't capable of playing better, so by ascribing their mediocre game (when I have evidence that they can and have played better this season) to poor play, I'm a homer.

Ah.

You are still an idiot who can't seem to focus on making a cogent, coherent argument.

SpurAddict561
01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Lol corrupted zebras?

You should be thankful for them as a Mavs fan or we would have faced Miami that year and would have 5 rings. You guys obviously couldn't get the job done, choke artists...ha

xellos88330
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Sorry we have Chandler haywood ajincia and mahimi manning the paint, along with dirk and Marion. Dirks an underrated defender and his size in itself is enough to alter shots.... Anyway, we have one of the best defenses in the league, duncan is old and doesn't do nearly as good of a job of dominating the paint defensively as Chandler does. You have no room to talk with your interior d this season... So honestly I don't what your talking about, only
Chandler?

Ok, I know you want to believe that the Mavs will be able to beat the Spurs in the playoffs and you seem to think that the interior D of the Spurs won't be able to cope with the Dallas attack.

These are some things that I am failing to understand with your arguments

1. Dirk is a perimeter big. In no way does he really affect the paint on the offensive end consistently. He is primarily a jump shooter. No interior D needed.

2. The Mavericks are a perimeter oriented team. No superior interior "D" needed to defend them.

3. Dirk is the MVP of the Mavericks easily, so why couldn't the Mavericks take advantage of the soft interior Spurs defense since Dirk wasn't available?

4. Why couldn't the Mavericks overcome a 6'6" center? Simple, our coach knew he was getting overmatched and subbed in a decent/bigger defender. McDyess ring a bell?

5. How did Shawn Marion do against Manu last year?

All in all, the huge thing that the national media along with the fans of other NBA teams seem to be overlooking is the versatility of the San Antonio lineups. They seem to have quite a few skill sets to adapt their style of play if their gameplan isn't working as thought.

You might want to actually watch a few Spurs games before you start spouting out which team is the best. You will soon come to see that the Spurs have the personel to match any defensive scheme in the NBA. Sure teams can get lucky and the Spurs shooters will miss some shots, but that is all that an opposing team can really do to prepare for the Spurs. Just hope they miss some shots.

And the Spurs defense has been looking solid lately btw.

One more thing. The Mavericks only scored 34 points in the paint vs. Spurs. the Spurs scored the same amount against the Mavericks interior D. Is the Mavs interior defense really as good as you claim it to be? You seem to want to understand common sense. Here is some common sense by your logic...

The definition of a terrible interior defense is in how many points are scored in the paint. If the Mavs scored 34 points against a terrible interior defense, then what kind of interior defense did the Spurs score the same amount of points on in that same game? Is it a terrible one?