PDA

View Full Version : While I was at boot camp

Dim Tuncan
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
My wife says in one of her letters "Brock Lesnar lost early to Velasquez, sorry. Looked good early, got a takedown, but took some big shots and got a bad cut."

I get this letter during a particularly bad week for my recruit company where we were just getting annihilated 24 hours a day... I mean that was really what boot camp was like the whole time but this particular week was especially bad. I'm a Lesnar fan and while usually sports don't affect my emotions too bad given my circumstances I was a little upset.

So anyway I end up graduating, flying to my new unit, etc. Once I'm settled in I go on MMA-Core and watch the fight.

Let me stop here and issue a full disclosure - I like Lesnar. One because my dad put me in wrestling when I was little and every year we'd watch the NCAA finals on ESPN... And I remember him losing to Stephen Neal (who was one of the clinicians at a summer camp I attended) whereas Lesnar himself went to Minnesota (I ended up being a 2X graduate of the storied J Robinson Intensive camp).

So anyway I always felt like people who only looked at Lesnar's pro wrestling past didn't get it, because collegiate wrestling is a really gritty sport and you don't just go out an win a D1 NCAA championship because you're big.

That said, who HONESTLY didn't think there was something funny up in the Lesnar/Velasquez fight?

First of all, Velasquez landed way more shots on Rothwell/Kogo and did far less damage (though the Big Nog fight indicates that he has some nasty power in his hands). I know this is a MMAth argument but the dichotomy is undeniable IMO... Second... Lesnar's theatrics while getting beaten up by Cain just looked so.... WWE... I guess would be the word.

Combine that with how the UFC marketed the fight (as I stated above at the time I was completely cut off from the outside world save for a weekly letter from my wife but my friends tell me it was all of this hype about "there's never been a Mexican-American UFC Heavyweight champ"), the sheer number of Mexicans available for the UFC to sell PPVs to, the fact that Cain had a much harder time in the past against much softer opponents, and Lesnar's bizarre WWE-esque body physics and I believe it'd reasonable to conclude that

LESNAR TOOK A DIVE.

Flame away.

in b4 tldr

dbreiden83080
12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Good Read

I liked it.. One thing i agree is a bit of a mystery is Cains power and where it suddenly came from??

Cain in his fights with Rothwell and Kongo looked like he was seriously lacking in big power. Then he fights Nog and Brock and he looks like the hardest hitter in MMA..

Odd..

Stringer_Bell
12-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think it's odd, Lesnar did the same thing he did against Carwin...rush the opponent and hope you land on top to GnP. Only problem was Cain trained all day/every day for that shit and popped back up and punched a depleted Lesnar's face in. If it went to the next round, Lesnar could have recovered but not with 3 minutes left in the round. Lesnar's got heart, but not 3 minutes of total ass whooping heart.

Big Nog has been through too many wars, he's broken. Lesnar doesn't like getting punched, he curled up and got beaten up. It happens when you don't train for worst case scenarios.

dbreiden83080
12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think it's odd, Lesnar did the same thing he did against Carwin...rush the opponent and hope you land on top to GnP. Only problem was Cain trained all day/every day for that shit and popped back up and punched a depleted Lesnar's face in. If it went to the next round, Lesnar could have recovered but not with 3 minutes left in the round. Lesnar's got heart, but not 3 minutes of total ass whooping heart.

Big Nog has been through too many wars, he's broken. Lesnar doesn't like getting punched, he curled up and got beaten up. It happens when you don't train for worst case scenarios.

I'm not questioning how great Cain is, he is the man there is no doubt of that..

Sucks he is out a while..