PDA

View Full Version : Gary Neal, best player dollar for dollar

The_Worlds_finest
12-31-2010, 12:25 AM
The dude makes 500k a year and 800k next year....discuss

Agloco
12-31-2010, 12:41 AM
The dude makes 500k a year and 800k next year....discuss

And will most certainly make MLE money (whatever that may be) the year after that if he keeps this up.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2010, 01:57 AM
And will most certainly make MLE money (whatever that may be) the year after that if he keeps this up.

yeh him, blair and hills contract extentions are coming up

thank god timmy and ginos contract are off the books next season...they combine for 30m total i think....

DMC
12-31-2010, 02:05 AM
We will see. It's too early to say anything really. It looks favorable, but he could go tits up at any time, like get arrested for some bullshit at a nightclub. You never know.

Either way, 800,000 dollars is a lot of fucking money.

spurs1990
12-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Thought Manu signed until 2013 last year.

chazley
12-31-2010, 02:17 AM
ginos contract are off the books next season...

false

phyzik
12-31-2010, 02:54 AM
As long as he doesnt pull a ghost mode like RMJ did...

WalterBenitez
12-31-2010, 07:06 AM
We will see. It's too early to say anything really. It looks favorable, but he could go tits up at any time, like get arrested for some bullshit at a nightclub. You never know.

Either way, 800,000 dollars is a lot of fucking money.

In ARG you got to work almost 20 years to earn that money, so is f...g good money.

TP and Manu was also underpaid at the begining of their careers.

hater
12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
let's see in the postseason

mosdef17
01-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Landry Fields is on $470,000 this season. Worth a mention...

Darkwaters
01-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Nope, Neal signed a 3 year deal. Partially guaranteed no less.

Insanely good signing.

Darkwaters
01-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Completely different. Fields came in as a 2nd round draft pick with no bargaining power.

Neal came in as an undrafted free agent you had spent time in Europe proving himself and capable of signing on with any team. Fabricio came over and signed a deal in the same fashion but netted 2.5M for two years.

Em-City
01-01-2011, 08:34 AM
dude should get a nice xmas bonus..

ChuckD
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM

He's signed for three years, and the owners are likely to kill the MLE during the lockout.

TDMVPDPOY
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM

dont be fooled by the knicks players posting up stats....

we all know what happen when the spurs got butler from them...

Harry Callahan
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Spurs have picked up guys like Bowen, Stephen Jackson, and Neal off the scrap heap and turned them into players who have long NBA careers.

Any team could have signed any of these guys for a minimal salary, and they didn't.

Bang for the buck.

Also, DeJuan Blair signed a modest (for NBA standards) four year guaranteed deal and should be a solid rotation player for a long time (given good health with his knees).

boutons_deux
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Keeping Neal a Spur in 3 years will of course be a completely different situation.

He will consider himself, as many teams will, to be a legitimate starter.

But we'll enjoy him until then.

Darkwaters
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Keeping Neal a Spur in 3 years will of course be a completely different situation.

He will consider himself, as many teams will, to be a legitimate starter.

But we'll enjoy him until then.

He'll also be 29 and chasing, probably, his a long-term final contract to close out his career with.

Now, as an unathletic shooter he is likely to age much less drastically. You won't see as much of a depreciation in his returns as his legs slow down because thats not what makes him great. But it will always be a concern regardless. Neal, if he keeps his assassin attitude, could have a career into his mid-30's.

DMC
01-01-2011, 03:09 PM
The Spurs develop players. If you had a skillset where you were a great craftsman, you could take on projects that others (I will call them buyers) would pass up simply because your vision is coupled with your ability. You know what this project can mean to you, and unlike others who see it as a money pit, you know that you can fix this thing to work for you, and in the process turn a great profit. Since this project is a human being, you can sculpt him to be the best he can be, to the point where other teams' buyers see him as a steal. So what was once a piece of junk in the eyes of the buyer is now a very desirable commodity.

The Spurs have craftsmen, other teams have buyers.

SenorSpur
01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
The Spurs latest victory over the Mavs has been met with some perspective, by the locals, mainly because of the absence of Dirk. However, it seems that the latest buzz around this game has been about Gary Neal.

For those who aren't privy to the temperature of SportsTalk here in the D/FW metroplex, the latest musings on the Spurs from the locals go something like this:

"Well it looks like the Spurs have done it again."

"I've never heard of this guy Gary Neal"

"Who is this new rookie?"

"Where the hell did this guy come from?"

"First Hill, then Blair, now this new kid Neal"

ivanfromwestwood
01-01-2011, 04:23 PM
whats Neal contract look like? can he opt out after this season? btw,where's bruno?

Mel_13
01-01-2011, 04:27 PM
whats Neal contract look like? can he opt out after this season? btw,where's bruno?

3 years
minimum salary
first year guaranteed

Basically, the Spurs can keep him for three years at the minimum. If he were to become Roger Mason, they could cut him after this season and owe him nothing more.

peskypesky
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Gary Neal is God.

Agloco
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Completely different. Fields came in as a 2nd round draft pick with no bargaining power.

Neal came in as an undrafted free agent you had spent time in Europe proving himself and capable of signing on with any team. Fabricio came over and signed a deal in the same fashion but netted 2.5M for two years.

He's signed for three years, and the owners are likely to kill the MLE during the lockout.

Ahhh so, thanks to both. I was proceeding on the assumption that the OP included all of his salary. Even more of a steal in this case.

MLE was a proportional comparison. Whatever they choose to call "it" he's going to command something in the range proportional to the MLE today.

Agloco
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
3 years
minimum salary
first year guaranteed

Basically, the Spurs can keep him for three years at the minimum. If he were to become Roger Mason, they could cut him after this season and owe him nothing more.

:wow

mosdef17
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
dont be fooled by the knicks players posting up stats....

we all know what happen when the spurs got butler from them...

I have watched about 10-15 Knicks games this season and was talking based on what I saw from him. The guy is a player that every team would want. He rebounds, defends and hustles relentlessly. He leads ALL guards in the NBA in rebounding, you may say thats because he is 6'7 but if he played SF he would be third behind Melo and Gerald Wallace. He averages 11.2 rebounds per 48 minutes, Wade is 2nd amongst guards at 8.6 per 48 minutes. If he played SF, he would be second in the league in Rebounds per 48 minutes behind Matt Barnes.

You can't say that's just cause he is a Knick and their stats are inflated. The Knicks as a team are 21st in the league in Rebounding Per Game and get out-rebounded by an average of 3.22 a game which is 25th in the league. My point is, the guy hustles and defends and is a big reason as to why the Knicks have as many wins as they do. When talking about contract value dollar for dollar, he is definitely up there at $470,000

Irrelevant, there is no criteria for the selection. OP threw out there that he is the best player dollar for dollar, bargaining power or not. Tell me you wouldn't love to have Fields on the Spurs for $470,000 this season and $790,000 next season... That's great value when comparing it to his output.

I wasn't saying that he is better, or more valuable dollar for dollar. Just thought he deserved to be mentioned as $470,000 this season is a bargain for him.

Cessation
01-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Gary is a steal.

stealthjbravo
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
No doubt! Hopefully he will stay hot. :flag:

wijayas
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
The Spurs develop players. If you had a skillset where you were a great craftsman, you could take on projects that others (I will call them buyers) would pass up simply because your vision is coupled with your ability. You know what this project can mean to you, and unlike others who see it as a money pit, you know that you can fix this thing to work for you, and in the process turn a great profit. Since this project is a human being, you can sculpt him to be the best he can be, to the point where other teams' buyers see him as a steal. So what was once a piece of junk in the eyes of the buyer is now a very desirable commodity.

The Spurs have craftsmen, other teams have buyers.

Well said!!!!!! :toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast

MannyIsGod
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
The best value in the NBA dollar for dollar is Blake Griffin.

Ice009
01-01-2011, 08:14 PM
The best value in the NBA dollar for dollar is Blake Griffin.

LOL I agree. Good call. Easily the best value.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-01-2011, 08:21 PM
dude should get a nice xmas bonus..

Would be nice but disallowed under the CBA.

I can see the Spurs giving him an extension this summer if he kicks ass all year.

smrattler
01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I think only this year is guaranteed right?

What's the protocol here? Do they make him ride out at least one more year of the contract or do they (assuming he plays like this through the playoffs) give him a new deal this summer?

Because of the potential lockout, I'm sure he gets no new deal this summer. If the whole season is lost next year, he might just have to play out the whole 3 years of this deal just to get evaluated that he wasn't a one year wonder (again, assuming his play continues this way through the playoffs).

I don't know the business and rules of NBA contracts, so, I might be way off.

frodo
01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
dejuan blair has been the trigga this season and he earns just about that amount

frodo
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM

What's the protocol here? Do they make him ride out at least one more year of the contract or do they (assuming he plays like this through the playoffs) give him a new deal this summer?

Because of the potential lockout, I'm sure he gets no new deal this summer. If the whole season is lost next year, he might just have to play out the whole 3 years of this deal just to get evaluated that he wasn't a one year wonder (again, assuming his play continues this way through the playoffs).

he'll turn a restricted FA come the offseason, meaning he can sign a contract with any team but the spurs will have the 1st option to match the bid. maybe 2-3m/a will be necessary to keep his service imho

Josepatches_
01-01-2011, 11:44 PM
As long as he doesnt pull a ghost mode like RMJ did...

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-01-2011, 11:49 PM

They would be foolish to extend him before getting to see him in the playoffs and determine if he goes stone cold like Stephen Jackson, or fetal like Matt Bonner.

tw05baller
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
choo choo

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/685/choochoo.jpg

DMC
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Do they play Crazy Train when Gary is in the game? If so that's rude.

DMC
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
choo choo

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/685/choochoo.jpg

Gary has white arms... who knew?