PDA

View Full Version : Agree or Disagree-A Boxing Analogy

Man In Black
12-31-2010, 01:14 AM
For a long time, The Spurs played defense. Their tactic was to slow the game down and control the clock with a pace that favored their strongest attributes. Their defense was formidable like say...Floyd Mayweather Jr. It's been said that watching a Mayweather fight was BORING(People have said that about the Spurs for as long as they've won their first title). That only a boxing purist could like the shoulder roll defense with nary a chance at knockouts. The W's came, but the masses didn't like the way they came.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrXE6Ln5uX4cSyNyU6n1WVBRVvgrlSD gbMmeOmN7uzefj-VgMN

This year's Spurs plays offense. They attack from multiple angles, they can play slow or fast and when defense is needed, they play it long enough to help set up a knockout. Like say Manny Pacquiao.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuvrfXnsIVI9DArxbsMqCPtzYvYBTGe nwxp6xj7RyrhELT5Rli

What say you...Agree or Disagree?
I'm biased...I agree :toast

EricB
12-31-2010, 01:17 AM
I think all this talk about the Spurs abandoning defense is just ridiculous.

When they are 100%, their athleticism and length on the perimeter is pretty damn good.

When Splitter and Anderson get re acclimated and get more inducted into the rotation the defense will only get better.

Again, is the defense at 99 levels? No, but is it Phoenix Suns 2005-2007 levels? Hell no.

JR21
12-31-2010, 01:20 AM
hmm i think i can dig that... :toast

Man In Black
12-31-2010, 01:23 AM
So I take it...you disagree TPark?

I'm not saying that the Spurs play like they're coached by D'Antoni.

Both this year's Spurs and Manny Pacquiao have strong defensive skills, they just employ them less, or only strategically, and choose in favor of a stunning array of offense.

They're both taught by arguably, the BEST at their sports, in terms of Coaching. The core defensive principles are taught ad naseum but the Offensive sets help the process come to bear fruit.
:flag:

DMC
12-31-2010, 01:29 AM
http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2009/08/20/thumbs/Mike%20Tyson-RSE-001300.jpg

More like this.... they are too old and immature to do anything so they bite the hell out of the opponent.... no?

timvp
12-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Pretty good analogy. This is an undoubtedly different Spurs team from the four championship squads.

Although I don't think any of the Spurs would be wary of a blood test :stirpot:

EricB
12-31-2010, 01:52 AM
So I take it...you disagree TPark?

I'm not saying that the Spurs play like they're coached by D'Antoni.

Both this year's Spurs and Manny Pacquiao have strong defensive skills, they just employ them less, or only strategically, and choose in favor of a stunning array of offense.

They're both taught by arguably, the BEST at their sports, in terms of Coaching. The core defensive principles are taught ad naseum but the Offensive sets help the process come to bear fruit.
:flag:

I disagree in that they are "all about offense"

Man In Black
12-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Pretty good analogy. This is an undoubtedly different Spurs team from the four championship squads.

Although I don't think any of the Spurs would be wary of a blood test :stirpot:
We all know that Both camps are willing to do the full blood test. It's about whether certain court cases can be resolved in a timely manner with a favorable decision.

If that happens...:ihit this happens.

8FOR!3
12-31-2010, 11:06 AM
You know the difference? In boxing you have to incorporate defense and offense simultaneously, if you don't want to keep your hands up duck and defend, you can just go all out and attack. In basketball you can go all out and attack, but you still have to do something on the defense end. I don't like the way I explained it, but there is a point to be made.

SequSpur
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Right now spurs are making shots.. if they make shots..they beat the best...if not...they are done because they can't stop the best or the biggest...but yeah..I get your point.

L.I.T
12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I tend to think of it as a reversal of roles (superficially speaking)

In the Spurs prior incarnations their offense frequently went through extended droughts, they relied on their defense to lock down on the opponent during those stretches. They had the personal to do so.

Today, they rely on their offense somewhat to keep them afloat when their defense breaks down or goes through some bad stretches. They have the personal to play tight lock down defense, but not for a full game. What they do have is the offensive personal to blitz the opposition.

In both situations, when both their offense and defense click at the same time they are unbelievable to watch. Just this year maybe more aesthetically pleasing (for the offensively oriented).

KenziE
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
I tend to think of it as a reversal of roles (superficially speaking)

In the Spurs prior incarnations their offense frequently went through extended droughts, they relied on their defense to lock down on the opponent during those stretches. They had the personal to do so.

Today, they rely on their offense somewhat to keep them afloat when their defense breaks down or goes through some bad stretches. They have the personal to play tight lock down defense, but not for a full game. What they do have is the offensive personal to blitz the opposition.

In both situations, when both their offense and defense click at the same time they are unbelievable to watch. Just this year maybe more aesthetically pleasing (for the offensively oriented).

very well said ....