PDA

View Full Version : Question: Who is shooting 3s for a higher % than the Spurs?

Solid D
12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
The Spurs are shooting .402 from behind the arc this season, at this writing.
Who in the NBA is shooting a higher 3-Pt. percentage than the Spurs?

(hint: not an individual player)

DMC
12-31-2010, 07:31 PM
No one in the NBA unless it's GSW... not sure.

TheSullyMonster
12-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Really? This is a thread?
http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top

Well, no teams. And people can look at the individual stats here.
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/3PointS.jsp?league=00&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=

What's more interesting is the fact that other teams are shooting better.

Solid D
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Really? This is a thread?
http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top

Well, no teams. And people can look at the individual stats here.
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/3PointS.jsp?league=00&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=

What's more interesting is the fact that other teams are shooting better.

Yes, negative tone aside, you've answered the question...without stating it was your answer.

Answer: Opposing teams of the Spurs are collectively shooting .403 from behind the arc.

This is somewhat uncharted waters for the Spurs defensively. It's a weakness that needs to be tightened-up as the season moves along.

DPG21920
12-31-2010, 07:48 PM
It is no secret (especially when you watch the games) that the Spurs 3PT defense is pretty bad.

The obvious question is how can this team as currently constructed fix the problem.

ShoogarBear
12-31-2010, 07:55 PM
One thing they will probably need to do is cut back on the gambling on defense. Yeah, the steals are nice and exciting, but ballhawking the lanes results in people not able to get back to close out on the perimeter.

Steals don't win championships. Lowering opponents FG% does.

DPG21920
12-31-2010, 08:01 PM
It's funny because in the game threads you see everyone typing "how do all these scrubs keep hitting shots against us...".

Then you realize that guys are standing wide open in the corner nailing 3's. I think a problem is the Spurs lateral speed. It seems like most of the time the Spurs players are backed off their man in order to prevent the blow by because if they get too close they are not fast enough to recover.

I don't mind the gambling because the rotations are pretty good (sometimes) and they don't seem to be ill advised gambles. Meaning you don't see them giving up really easy baskets due to it.

I think they do need to crowd players a bit more and play a little more physical. I think they have to rely on muscle and use what speed they have which is North/South. A little bump or subtle grab can negate the speed advantage and it closes the gap on the 3PT shooters.

Cane
12-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Anyone have the stats on 3 pt attempts and makes for Spurs vs their opponents in addition to the %? Sorry not sure where to find it.

Solid D
12-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Anyone have the stats on 3 pt attempts and makes for Spurs vs their opponents in addition to the %? Sorry not sure where to find it.

See "Player Totals"
http://www.nba.com/spurs/stats/

Chieflion
12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Blake Griffin.

Cry Havoc
12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, negative tone aside, you've answered the question...without stating it was your answer.

Answer: Opposing teams of the Spurs are collectively shooting .403 from behind the arc.

This is somewhat uncharted waters for the Spurs defensively. It's a weakness that needs to be tightened-up as the season moves along.

I think no small part of it too revolves around the fact that the Spurs are now 28-4, and have been in the top 3 in the NBA record-wise for basically the entire season. Teams are getting up for us. They are playing their best ball, and anytime an opponent gets amped to play you, they're going to shoot/play better.

It's definitely not the only reason, as our outside coverage has been poor, but with Hill back and Anderson on his way I could see our defense becoming more consistent.

Solid D
12-31-2010, 09:09 PM
In the 4 losses,
Spurs 3-Pt stats - 30-97 (.309)
Opp. 3-Pt stats - 32-74 (.432)

Not that it's the only reason for the losses, since the Mavs just out-executed the Spurs offensively in the 4th quarter as did the Clipps for most of their win in LA. However, lots of missed 3s = long rebounds and quick transition opportunities for the opposition.

The more telling stat is the Spurs' inefficiency, so it's true that the opp. 3-pt % is less impactful than the Spurs' own ineptness in that category. However, if the opposition misses a lot of 3s, the fast break opportunities can increase for the running Spurs.

Solid D
12-31-2010, 09:49 PM
In case you are wondering, in the 4 Spurs' losses, overall FG% including 3s:
Spurs FG stats - 134-334 (.401)
Opp FG stats - 165-311 (.531)

pawe
12-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Probably another factor to consider is the fast tempo on offense. Since they are up there in fastbreak points it usually tires the players out.
It's tough to close in on shooters, catch up on rotations and scramble on defense after a double teamand at the same time keep a high octane offense going too.

You win some, you lose some. I hope they can get adequate rest though once Splitter and Anderson are integrated properly for the home stretch.

DMC
01-01-2011, 12:13 AM
It's funny because in the game threads you see everyone typing "how do all these scrubs keep hitting shots against us...".

Then you realize that guys are standing wide open in the corner nailing 3's. I think a problem is the Spurs lateral speed. It seems like most of the time the Spurs players are backed off their man in order to prevent the blow by because if they get too close they are not fast enough to recover.

I don't mind the gambling because the rotations are pretty good (sometimes) and they don't seem to be ill advised gambles. Meaning you don't see them giving up really easy baskets due to it.

I think they do need to crowd players a bit more and play a little more physical. I think they have to rely on muscle and use what speed they have which is North/South. A little bump or subtle grab can negate the speed advantage and it closes the gap on the 3PT shooters.
These are good points. You have to think they are taught this though, probably because the help defense is weak. Normally these guys get funneled into the inside defense, but these guys sagging off on the corners seems to indicate an attempt to compensate for something that's missing behind them.

Great paint defense allows defenders to stay at home on shooters. That's almost a cliche. When paint defense lacks, perimeter defense has to compensate. I have said the same thing twice, in different ways.

You have to give up something. You cannot take everything from the opponent. We seem to win by allowing them these outside looks, maybe?

Spursfanfromafar
01-01-2011, 05:27 AM
No wonder Pop sounds pissed all the time despite the team going 28-4.

Great find, Solid D. Too bad, the Spurs haven't found Solid D as part of their game yet, but it will happen, I hope as the season progresses.

Bruno
01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
While opponents shoot very well 3's against Spurs, they don't take a lot of 3's. Spurs are the 2nd worst team in opp3P% but they are the 6th best in opp3PA while they played at a quite high pace. At the end, it doesn't hurt them as much as it looked at the first sight.

More generally, Spurs are the best offense in the NBA but 9th on the defensive end. It's obvious that the main reason of Spurs 28-4 record is their offense.

The worrisome part of Spurs being only the 9th best defensive team in the league is that it seems to be their spot and not because they are underachieving. Last year, they were the 8th best with a comparable team on the defensive end. If Pop wants to improve Spurs defense, he had to give more playing time to Dice/Splitter and less to Blair/Bonner. Anderson could also help the perimeter Defense when he would be back.

Dr. Gonzo
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Ian Mahinmi

Solid D
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
While opponents shoot very well 3's against Spurs, they don't take a lot of 3's. Spurs are the 2nd worst team in opp3P% but they are the 6th best in opp3PA while they played at a quite high pace. At the end, it doesn't hurt them as much as it looked at the first sight.

Good point, Bruno. Hopefully, the Spurs are running teams off the line more than they did last year. It did hurt the Spurs quite a bit versus the Suns in the playoffs last season. The Suns outshot the Spurs from the arc in all 4 games and it was a deciding factor in at least 2 of the games.

2009-10 Playoffs versus Suns
TEAM 3-PTA 3-PTM PCT.
Spurs 23.......65.... .359
Suns 41.......89.... .461

DMC
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't think the Spurs will have to worry that much about the Suns this year. You never know though.

Cessation
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Anderson should be of great help when he gets back. Hill, Neal, Anderson, Bonner, Dice. Thats a great second unit, we 10 deep. Plus, our 3rd string scrubs aren't too bad, either with Splitter, Quin and Udoka. The FO did an awsome job this year. :tu

awktalk
01-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Trade Splitter.

Solid D
01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Trade Splitter.

Dude, just make it your sig and save the typing.

SequSpur
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Solid d's rocket science...

he who has higher fg percentage will win games

Geezus......

Solid D
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
:) I'm starting off the new year right. Stats, Black-eyed peas, tamales and going to the Spurs game tonight.

smrattler
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I blame our lack of shotblocking on the inside. We have Timmy, but otherwise nothing.

So, our perimeter players are having to play passing lanes more and collapse down, it opens up shots for the opponent.

SequSpur
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Roll tide.

Pero
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Good point, Bruno. Hopefully, the Spurs are running teams off the line more than they did last year. It did hurt the Spurs quite a bit versus the Suns in the playoffs last season. The Suns outshot the Spurs from the arc in all 4 games and it was a deciding factor in at least 2 of the games.

2009-10 Playoffs versus Suns
TEAM 3-PTA 3-PTM PCT.
Spurs 23.......65.... .359
Suns 41.......89.... .461

Damn must've been a weirder series than I remember. Teams making more shots than they were even attempting. :p:

TVI
01-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I agree that it needs to get better, but I'm not sure it's not as bad as it seems.

The Spurs have taken nearly 200 more 3-point shots than their opponents (http://www.nba.com/spurs/stats/) this year, which means they either have a whole lot more confidence shooting them, or that their floor spacing is much better, or that they're doing a better job then their opponents of chasing shooters away from taking three point shots.

Solid D
01-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Damn must've been a weirder series than I remember. Teams making more shots than they were even attempting. :p:

:lol Good catch. Oh, well. At least you can tell I did my own calculations and didn't cut & paste.

itzsoweezee
01-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Opposing 3pt fg % is not as significant of a stat as you're implying. A much more important stat is opposing 3pt fg attempts.

Only five teams in the entire league allow less 3 pt fg attempts than the Spurs.

So the takeaway is, yes, teams are shooting a good 3 pt percentage against the Spurs, but their opportunity to take those shots is so limited that it doesn't hurt the Spurs.

My guess is that opponents only get these attempts opportunistically, when something in the defense breaks down (a rare occurrence).

Solid D
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree that it needs to get better, but I'm not sure it's not as bad as it seems.

The Spurs have taken nearly 200 more 3-point shots than their opponents (http://www.nba.com/spurs/stats/) this year, which means they either have a whole lot more confidence shooting them, or that their floor spacing is much better, or that they're doing a better job then their opponents of chasing shooters away from taking three point shots.

The NBA league average is 18.13 3-pt attempts/game. The Spurs opponents are averaging 16.28 3-pt attempts/game.

Four teams are averaging more attempts than the Spurs. New York, Orlando, Indiana and Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/offense-per-game/sort/avgThreePointFieldGoalsAttempted