PDA

View Full Version : Has it Ever Happened?

DMC
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that Pop might be called upon to coach the All Star team. It's quite possible that no Spurs player will be on that team.

Has a coach ever been selected for the AS without having at least one player from the team with the best record on the roster?

Dex
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that Pop might be called upon to coach the All Star team. It's quite possible that no Spurs player will be on that team.

Has a coach ever been selected for the AS without having at least one player from the team with the best record on the roster?

No Spur will be selected by the fans, but Manu will be selected as a reserve, especially if this record holds up.

Now Tim, that's another story. His numbers don't bode for another All-Star appearance. If he got selected, it would be based only on reputation and, once again, the Spurs success. But it looks like Tim may finally get a long weekend off for a change.

smrattler
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
No Spur will be selected by the fans, but Manu will be selected as a reserve, especially if this record holds up.

Now Tim, that's another story. His numbers don't bode for another All-Star appearance. If he got selected, it would be based only on reputation and, once again, the Spurs success. But it looks like Tim may finally get a long weekend off for a change.

You don't think Tony has a shot?

DMC
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Has it ever happened?

Dex
01-01-2011, 03:41 PM
You don't think Tony has a shot?

For some reason, Tony doesn't seem to be getting the exposure that Manu is, even though both are have fantastic seasons. Really, the only time he was allowed to shine was when Manu was injured and he was carrying the team. Its no wonder ducks talks the way he does; he must've gone bonkers years ago.

On top of that, it's got to be harder to make the list as a reserve PG in the West when your competing with the likes of Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Russell Westbrook.

Not saying Tony doesn't deserve....I just think it's less likely.

Cane
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
There may be no ASG starters but as long as the Spurs are still at the top or amongst the top then they should have some players for the ASG.

Tim's boxscore averages may not hold up but his reputation, wins and advanced stats shows his defensive impact - all factors leading to Duncan being worthy of consideration. Duncan's still a force that is a big part of every coach's gameplan so I think he'll get enough attention and votes from the coaches to get in. However I doubt Duncan will get voted in an as a starter from fans like he was last season but then again the fans made a last-stretch pull to vote him in...as it stands now though Blake Griffin is going to pass him up in fan votes. It'll also be interesting to see how coaches respond to Griffin and Loves seasons but I think their lack of W's kills off serious all-star nods.

I think Tony has a shot and not too long ago he was the Western Conference player of the week. But his shot might be small considering all the other guards in the West.

Ginobili got a lot of attention early on the season and as long as he keeps being Manu I see him getting in although his scoring seems to have dropped. Hopefully its due to his cold or w/e and not fatigue or nagging injuries.

DMC
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
We all know it's a popularity contest. Small market teams are, by default, not popular on a grand scale.

BanditHiro
01-01-2011, 04:16 PM
we will probably be the first 70 win team to not have an "all-star"

smrattler
01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Has it ever happened?

Still no answer?

TMTTRIO
01-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Manu's finally coming back down to earth after having a strong start to the season so I don't know if he'll make it. I can't see Manu making another AS as long as he's in the NBA. Tony's playing great at the right time so I see he has a better shot at making it.

Dre_7
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Dont know the answer to the original question, but I think its BS that Yao and Shaq were voted on to AS Teams during years they didnt deserve it. I think Tim should be an All-Star regardless.

itzsoweezee
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Three Spurs are making the all star team this year.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Doesn't the coaching staff pick the reserves, or is it voting by all the coaches? If it's Pop's decision, either none of them will go or all three of them will go. :lol

Dex
01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Doesn't the coaching staff pick the reserves, or is it voting by all the coaches? If it's Pop's decision, either none of them will go or all three of them will go. :lol

Reserves are picked by vote by the head coaches of all teams and coaches aren't allowed to vote for their own players.

dbestpro
01-01-2011, 07:35 PM

No, it has never happened, but the players would love having the weekend off, while Pop would have to work. There is no doubt that all of the vets would prefer the rest, anyway.

kaji157
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I think if they hold on to the record the big 3 will all be coach selected.
I expect a Piston's like selection. Even more if Pop is the coach.

Muser
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Would Pop play Manu though?

DMC
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
What a statement it would make to the NBA though, that the Spurs with their best start ever, best record in the league have NO players voted in for the game. That would be a huge wake up call. Some media outlets like BSPN wouldn't give a shit, probably wouldn't even report it, but it would be obvious that media bias against covering this club leads to a nationwide lack of voters for it's players.

Pop would get in by default if the team sports the best record, but to be there without any of your team would be an interesting development to say the least.

Anyhow, the question wasn't whether it will happen or not, but has it ever happened.

What would be the fallout if any?

I realize asking a question that requires either research or knowledge around here is tricky. You start with a question and end up with a recipe for peanut butter cookies.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
What a statement it would make to the NBA though, that the Spurs with their best start ever, best record in the league have NO players voted in for the game. That would be a huge wake up call. Some media outlets like BSPN wouldn't give a shit, probably wouldn't even report it, but it would be obvious that media bias against covering this club leads to a nationwide lack of voters for it's players.

Pop would get in by default if the team sports the best record, but to be there without any of your team would be an interesting development to say the least.

Anyhow, the question wasn't whether it will happen or not, but has it ever happened.

What would be the fallout if any?

I realize asking a question that requires either research or knowledge around here is tricky. You start with a question and end up with a recipe for peanut butter cookies.

So, what's the answer?

DMC
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
So, what's the answer?

I am not smart enough to know what research terms to use. I was hoping someone else was. If you know someone who's halfway intelligent and not a Nazi, point them out.

"I don't know" is always an acceptable answer.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I am not smart enough to know what research terms to use. I was hoping someone else was. If you know someone who's halfway intelligent and not a Nazi, point them out.

"I don't know" is always an acceptable answer.

The answer is in here, but I'm not nearly interested enough to go through 60 box scores:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/

DMC
01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Ok, why respond?

hater
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Manu + Tony will be there. Duncan as reserve possibly

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Ok, why respond?

I thought you posed a trivia question. I tried to find the answer. Way too much work for a piece of trivia. So I asked if you knew the answer to the question that you posed. Apparently not.

DMC
01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't. It wasn't trivia. I am really as dumb as I act.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't. It wasn't trivia. I am really as dumb as I act.

To paraphrase Ron White: "That's a good piece of information to have".

Galileo
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM

The big three will all be reserves.

ChuckD
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
You people are on crack if you think all three Big Three are getting voted in as reserves. Best case is probably two of them, and likeliest scenario is Manu alone.

TampaDude
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm in the camp that doesn't want any of our stars to play in the ASG. It's a meaningless game and just another unnecessary chance for them to get injured.

TD 21
01-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Duncan is as much a lock as Ginobili is. There's only two center options for the West, Gasol and Duncan. Yao will win the fan vote, but won't be able to play due to injury. That shifts Gasol to center and Nowitzki into the starting lineup and gives way for the coaches to select Duncan as a center (they can pick a player based on the position they primarily play, even if they're not listed at that position) and pick a more deserving forward or guard over a true or listed center.

When you consider the team he's on, the minutes he's playing and what everyone knows he's capable of statistically (even at this point in his career), he's still a clear cut All-Star. Garnett has been as his numbers have slipped, for basically the same reasons. No one questioned his recent selections (even though he's not as good as Duncan), yet for some reason there's some big fuss about Duncan and a lot of it is coming from Spurs fans.

Dex
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Duncan is as much a lock as Ginobili is. There's only two center options for the West, Gasol and Duncan. Yao will win the fan vote, but won't be able to play due to injury. That shifts Gasol to center and Nowitzki into the starting lineup and gives way for the coaches to select Duncan as a center (they can pick a player based on the position they primarily play, even if they're not listed at that position) and pick a more deserving forward or guard over a true or listed center.

When you consider the team he's on, the minutes he's playing and what everyone knows he's capable of statistically (even at this point in his career), he's still a clear cut All-Star. Garnett has been as his numbers have slipped, for basically the same reasons. No one questioned his recent selections (even though he's not as good as Duncan), yet for some reason there's some big fuss about Duncan and a lot of it is coming from Spurs fans.

Some good points here; I'd almost forgotten about Yao's injury. Duncan probably has a chance if the coaches decide to include him as a center; otherwise I still think he gets pushed out by all of the talented forwards in the West (Gasol, Griffin, Al Jefferson, Melo, Durant, etc) simply because of his "slip in production".

However, you and I both know that Duncan is capable of playing like an All-Star, and the coaches probably do as well, so we'll see if they live up to it.

FromWayDowntown
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I think the actual answer to the question is that it hasn't happened. I did look through the old ASG boxscores from the merger forward; every All-Star game coach in that time has had at least one player from his regular season team on his All-Star squad. Frequently, it's been a 1:1 sort of thing; and often that 1 player has been a reserve. But it does appear that there has always been one.

I don't know whether it happened before the merger or not -- given the relatively small number of teams in that era, I'd be very surprised if it had occurred.

ElNono
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Duncan is going to be there. Manu/Parker possibly too. It will come from the coaches if it doesn't come from the fans.

timtonymanu
01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
KG isnt having an all star year either if we were to look at stats but he's still voted as a starter so far. Timmy will most likely get in due to past success and he's actually been very good defensively this year. He's just not the number one option anymore on offense. Manu, despite his recent struggles, is still a lock to make the All-Star Team. Tony is playing well too and is making a case to make the team but Manu is getting more of the hype.

Yao being the West center leading vote getter helps Timmy, imo. It will give Duncan an automatic spot in case he doesnt make the 12 man team, which is very unlikely.

This is probably how things will play out:

Starters: Gasol - Durant - Melo - Kobe - Paul

Bench: Manu, Dirk, Westbrook, Deron Williams, Love, Timmy.

I'm still undecided on the last spot. Griffin? Parker? Scola?

Kori Ellis
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm guessing that Duncan will be selected as a reserve and Tony/Manu will be invited to play in those extra little games on All Star weekend.

gospursgojas
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm guessing that Duncan will be selected as a reserve and Tony/Manu will be invited to play in those extra little games on All Star weekend.

Neil in the 3PC would be nice

timtonymanu
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Spurs will be busy.

Neal and Blair for rookie/sophomore game
Bonner for 3 pt shootout (Or Manu)
Parker for skills challenge
Duncan/Manu and/maybe Tony
Pop as West coach

DMC
01-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds about right. Nothing at all like the 4 Pistons that made it that one year.

Oh well.

DMC
01-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Spurs will be busy.

Neal and Blair for rookie/sophomore game
Bonner for 3 pt shootout (Or Manu)
Parker for skills challenge
Duncan/Manu and/maybe Tony
Pop as West coach

I doubt Manu makes the 3pt shootout. Even though he's taken the most 3s in the league, his percentage is only like 37%. Adjusted though it's like 53%.

Seventyniner
01-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Spurs will be busy.

Neal and Blair for rookie/sophomore game A virtual lock
Bonner for 3 pt shootout (Or Manu) Doubt it for either
Parker for skills challenge Again doubtful; the league will want "rising stars"...it'll probably be Westbrook, Tyreke, Wall, and Rondo
Duncan/Manu and/maybe Tony Yes; Duncan for sure and one of the others, but not all three
Pop as West coach I sure hope so!

easjer
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
It's an older recipe from Betty Crocker, but definitely remains one of my favorite, most reliable peanut butter cookie recipes. My own tip: It works better if you cream the sugars, then add the peanut butter and eggs. Peanut butter chips are a nice additions, as are simply regular chocolate chips.

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Mix sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
2. Heat oven to 375ºF.
3. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped into sugar.
4. Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

easjer
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Beyond that, I believe the answer to the original has been found, but yeah, there's always been at least 1 reserve player chosen by coaches. It would be insulting, and distinctly odd, not to select at least one

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Has a coach ever declined the opportunity?

DMC
01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Beyond that, I believe the answer to the original has been found, but yeah, there's always been at least 1 reserve player chosen by coaches. It would be insulting, and distinctly odd, not to select at least one
I knew someone would offer up that recipe. It's a given.

I copied though... :king

ShoogarBear
01-02-2011, 11:37 PM
If the Spurs continue at a winning percentage that exceeds that of the 1996 Bulls, the Spurs are guaranteed a player in the All-Star game. David Stern and the league aren't stupid enough to allow that not to happen.

The much more likely scenario is that the Spurs don't continue at this pace but still have the WC lead. Even then, with two easily justifiable candidates in Manu and Tony, and one Lifetime Achievement guy in TD, one of them almost certainly gets picked.

OrEmuN
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Has a coach ever declined the opportunity?

Why would they decline ? Its not like they are going to get injuried coaching. :lol
Actually I will love Pop to coach the ASG. Maybe he can do a Hack-A-Dwight on the first minute of the ASG and that will be funny.

easjer
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I knew someone would offer up that recipe. It's a given.

I copied though... :king

Well, if you're going to throw it out there like a challenge. . .

:lol

DMC
01-02-2011, 11:44 PM
If the Spurs continue at a winning percentage that exceeds that of the 1996 Bulls, the Spurs are guaranteed a player in the All-Star game. David Stern and the league aren't stupid enough to allow that not to happen.

The much more likely scenario is that the Spurs don't continue at this pace but still have the WC lead. Even then, with two easily justifiable candidates in Manu and Tony, and one Lifetime Achievement guy in TD, one of them almost certainly gets picked.

Do you think David Stern would shit himself if the Spurs won the West and faced the Heat? He wants a Kobe/Lebron matchup in the Finals, and the cards were shuffled to get that to happen because Cleveland sure as hell wasn't going to make it happen.

Some Nike exec would commit suicide.

Mr. Body
01-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Duncan will get Yao's spot. I expect Ginobili to get in as a reserve. Not sure about Parker.

Mr. Body
01-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Some Nike exec would commit suicide.

That's okay with me.

8FOR!3
01-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Pop's got to be coach of the West. You know when you haven't seen a legitimate Fuck Pop thread in a while that's not a complete troll, things are going well...

ducks
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
For some reason, Tony doesn't seem to be getting the exposure that Manu is, even though both are have fantastic seasons. Really, the only time he was allowed to shine was when Manu was injured and he was carrying the team. Its no wonder ducks talks the way he does; he must've gone bonkers years ago.

On top of that, it's got to be harder to make the list as a reserve PG in the West when your competing with the likes of Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Russell Westbrook.

Not saying Tony doesn't deserve....I just think it's less likely.

someone on the spurs will go
tp should go

DJ Mbenga
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
duncan and ginobli will likely make it. for injuries maybe parker can sneak in

BanditHiro
01-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Is it up to Pop (looks like he will be coaching the game) to choose the reserves?

if so do you think he will tell timtonymanu they are not going?

buttsR4rebounding
01-03-2011, 12:39 AM
The Spurs will have 2, maybe 3 players on the All Star team. Tim will be chosen as a center. They are literally almost extinct. Yao is the vote leader and Bynum is second. Have they played 10 games between them? Manu is #3 in the voting and will be selected. Tony deserves to be on the squad over CP3, but his rep is getting him voted in. Deron Williams deserves to be the starter, but will be selected as a reserve. Tony will make it if they take 3 point guards.

TMTTRIO
01-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Even during Manu's best years even though he played really well for a long stretch seems to either get injured or start not playing so well right before All Star selection. This is why he's only been a one time All Star. It'll be interesting to see what happens especially with him struggling right now. I hope Manu can at least make one more AS game before he hangs it up.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Is it up to Pop (looks like he will be coaching the game) to choose the reserves?

if so do you think he will tell timtonymanu they are not going?

Reserves are decided by a vote of the coaches. And coaches aren't allowed to vote for their own players.

tuncaboylu
01-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Honestly I don't think that Parker, Manu and Duncan are caring to be all star team this year. They were in that teams several times and it's really doesn't matter for them.

Galileo
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I see Richard Jefferson making the squad as well. Stern will put him on as a last minute injury replacement.

TD 21
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Some good points here; I'd almost forgotten about Yao's injury. Duncan probably has a chance if the coaches decide to include him as a center; otherwise I still think he gets pushed out by all of the talented forwards in the West (Gasol, Griffin, Al Jefferson, Melo, Durant, etc) simply because of his "slip in production".

However, you and I both know that Duncan is capable of playing like an All-Star, and the coaches probably do as well, so we'll see if they live up to it.

"Probably has a chance"? He's a lock. He'll be selected as a center, so it doesn't matter how many "talented forwards in the West" there are. Besides, Griffin and Love have no chance. Neither does Ellis, Gordon or anyone else putting up big numbers on a terrible team. Guys like that never make it, unless they're perennial guys to begin with (like Garnett towards the end of his Timberwolves days). Jefferson will only receive consideration because the West will be thin when it comes to bigs and since he'll be looked at as a center, he'll have an outside chance.

He's not just capable, he's played like an All-Star. Not a starting one, but still a clear cut one. Outside of Gasol (who's play is steadily declining), name a center in the West who's played better?

Locks: F- Anthony, Durant, Nowitzki, C- Duncan, Gasol, G- Bryant, Ginobili, Paul, Westbrook, Williams.

Odom and Parker should get the final two spots. But Gay, Millsap, Chandler, Nash (and 1-3 others who have no business being selected) are all probably under consideration.