PDA

View Full Version : The "New" Spurs style of play.

xellos88330
01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Would you consider this new style more entertaining for the casual ESPN watching NBA fan?

Is it more entertaining for you, and why?

Discuss...

Cessation
01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, who doesn't like fast pace?

CIA Pop
01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I hate it. I didn't grow up with it and whenever I was forced to root for the Suns/Warriors (against the Mavs) I almost killed myself many times at how horrible their defense was.

Defense is my favorite facet in sports whether I'm playing basketball (pick up games), watching (NBA) or playing it on a video game (NBA 2K).

I'd rather cut down on turnovers and quick shots and put the clamps on the other team defensively. I can't stand it when the other team makes shots on like, 4 or 5 possessions in a row. That never used to happen against us.

Kid, I have butt wipes older than you. Shut the fuck up and learn from people who actually know what they're talking about.

jeebus
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Kid, I have butt wipes older than you. Shut the fuck up and learn from people who actually know what they're talking about.
He's talking about way back in the day. You know, 2006.

Muser
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
It's more exciting and (so far) it's gotten results.

ulosturedge
01-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Yes this up tempo offense is much more entertaining. The fact that Pop embraces it, and understands how to use it to our advantage is what makes it awesome. The Spurs can still slow it down when they need to. Many more facets to our offense this year which makes us that much more dangerous. And to the guy that says he doesn't like it, I don't think you understand what the OP was getting at. I'm sure he didn't mean at the expense of our defense...

diego
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
as the past couple years proved,
playing to the player's strengths > playing the system
if its entertaining or not is besides the point, it is effective. props to pop for working with RJ and changing that.

NRHector
01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
yea that's why this commercial reminds me of the Spurs
gFKxQ3sy_UI

Obstructed_View
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Parker and Ginobili aren't suddenly more entertaining than they've been the last several years. This comes down to talent. Losing Bruce Bowen meant they had to do something, and Keith Bogans taught them that they had to break down and play young guys in order to develop them.

pawe
01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Even with this up tempo style, Im pretty sure a handful of "sports experts" will throw the boring team statement down the road.

Obstructed_View
01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
What makes the Spurs boring is the city they play in and the jersey on their back.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Well for one, it's Spurs, so it's exciting, but as for the casual ESPN fan's, it's still exciting. Fast-pacing is always fun to watch.

sananspursfan21
01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I hate it. I didn't grow up with it and whenever I was forced to root for the Suns/Warriors (against the Mavs) I almost killed myself many times at how horrible their defense was.

Defense is my favorite facet in sports whether I'm playing basketball (pick up games), watching (NBA) or playing it on a video game (NBA 2K).

I'd rather cut down on turnovers and quick shots and put the clamps on the other team defensively. I can't stand it when the other team makes shots on like, 4 or 5 possessions in a row. That never used to happen against us.

you dont play pick up games. you sit on this site all day and wish you played guitar

Capt Bringdown
01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Parker and Ginobili aren't suddenly more entertaining than they've been the last several years. This comes down to talent. Losing Bruce Bowen meant they had to do something, and Keith Bogans taught them that they had to break down and play young guys in order to develop them.

Finley, Mason & Bogans (shudder, gasp).

SpursDynasty
01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Nothing new about the Spurs' style...held OKC to 32.9% from the floor tonight, held Dallas to 42.7% shooting the other night, and before that, held the Lakers to 35.4%. The Spurs have played defense like they always have.

Again, nothing new here.

spurzzzz
01-02-2011, 01:55 AM
I like the fact that they are playing the passing lanes and getting more steals then they have in previous seasons. I enjoy the up tempo offense. It is exciting. But what is REALLY exciting is that they are finally starting to play good defense. I have watched the spurs since they first came to SA and this is as good as I have ever seen them play. If Splitter improves I really like our chances in the playoffs.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-02-2011, 03:00 AM
The casual ESPN watching NBA fan, unfortunately will still not be entertained by the Spurs. If, say, you could make all the players in the NBA somehow look identical, and do the same to the uniforms they wore, then absolutely. Problem is, it's never a level playing field when attempting to attract the casual fan. It used to really burn me up when I'd hear or see sportscasters gloss over information and news relating to the Spurs doing well and instead focus on a less-deserving, yet higher profile team. Not anymore--it's just a fact of life. Tony Parker really did say it best when he said that if you put this same team in Knicks uniforms in Madison Square Garden, they'd be undisputed kings of the basketball world, Timmy Duncan's quiet persona be damned. But since we're San Antonio, they spotlight will never shine as bright, thus always keeping the Spurs somewhat shrouded in mystery to the casual, ESPN-reliant NBA fan.

As far as whether it's entertaining for me, personally? Well, at the risk of appearing to make myself seem older in remembering the "good old days," I'd still much prefer that SA grab W's scoring in the 80s or 90s, as opposed to routinely toeing the century mark (and allowing opponents to do so as well). However, the games of the past half month or so have allayed more than a few of those initial fears that the Spurs were becoming "phoenix suns 2.0." These Spurs don't hesitate to put up points, but have not completely abandoned the Spurs' bedrock defensive mandates. I realize that so far it's a small sample size, but if I've taken anything away from seeing Pop coach over the years, it's that his teams always become more sound in nearly all facets of the game as the season wears on and rotations settle.

I prefer to think of these current Spurs as the ineluctable end result of what we all got a sneak peek of back in the '05 and '07 Spurs/suns series'. Those Spurs squads were reknown for their defensive prowess, and yet when Popovich chose to unfetter them, they'd run the uptempo offense better than the team that had given it a renaissance in the first place. I believe that Popovich noticed this, and stuck lessons learned from matchups such as those in his proverbial back pocket for such a time as this--the retirement of defensive ace Bruce Bowen, the aging of Tim Duncan, and the general inability of the team to produce on the offensive end while expending the same amount of energy in defense as during the Twin Towers era or the hale and hearty days of The Big Fundamental. I say that not to cast Pop as some omniscient prognosticator, but moreso to highlight the fact that he knows his players well enough to run schemes that will generate the maximum effectiveness on the court. This year, it just so happens to be a greater offensive emphasis with shades of glory days defense serving as the underpinnings.

jag
01-02-2011, 03:03 AM
What makes the Spurs boring is the city they play in and the jersey on their back.

01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
meh. i don't enjoy watching the increased turnovers. suffocating defense and tim duncan on the block is a beautiful thing to watch. i recall the 2005 finals of both teams clawing just to score two points. now that was basketball.

Man In Black
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
And the fact their best players are INTERNATIONALS. Media America can't stand it when there is a loss at a game that was invented in the US.

I like it, but to me, it's not new. It's just that Pop has the players necessary to run this style. He's shown it to you in the past at times, this uptempo style. The 1st time I saw it live, was my 1st game ever at the then SBC Center. Spurs v LAL. Manu alone with no Tony or Tim.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=231106024
On that particular day, Pop said he wanted the game to go uptempo.

analyzed
01-02-2011, 03:54 AM
I'm a fan of the international european style of play, quick ball movement, high picks and handoffs from your center and a four who steps out and hits threes. This is exactly how the " new" Spurs play.

No one has won an NBA ring with the style, however the style has proven to be the most succesful formula to international success ( Think Argentina, Creece, Spain and the former Yoguslavia) . It will really be interesting to see if it can be succesful in the NBA. Mind you we are only talking about the offensive end.
On the defensive end as the last few games have shown us , there is no reason why we shoul'nt be able to play good agressive team defense. Given the Spurs lack of size in key positions I think an aggresive pressing team defense is the only way to go ( Blair, Hill fronting and manu and tony reading the passing lanes).

I can't say if we can win a ring with it, but I will say this given the Line-up Pop has ( A declining TD, an attacking back court in Manu & Tony and good shooters from the wings in Neal, HIll, RJ and bonner) this new style is an excellent and great move from Pop and the coaching staff .
Think about it how does a team , that hasn't drafted in the lottery or signed or traded for a current all star in the last 12 years end up with the best record in the NBA ? This must be a record of sorts , i don't think any franchise has done this before.