PDA

View Full Version : Are Houston and Dallas considered small markets?

davi78239
01-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I know we are but what about them? And a city like Denver, Charlotte?

Cry Havoc
01-02-2011, 12:01 AM
wat

Buddy Holly
01-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I know we are but what about them? And a city like Denver, Charlotte?

Denver, yes, somwhat even though they have pro teams in all sports.

Charlotte, yes.

But then again I don't consider those cities or SA "small market." Maybe in the 70's and 80's and part of the 90's but not now. They're more middle market or medium market but those terms aren't used regularly in sports so you'll continue to have people use the term they're comfortable with which is small market.

Right now, small market is SLC, OKC and NO.

ShoogarBear
01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Market != City

Kori Ellis
01-02-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

MrMiller
01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Market and city population are two entirely different methods to evaluate potential audience.

Buddy Holly
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM

But with sports viewing you have to consider the Corpus, Valley and Del Rio/Laredo areas which enlarges the market.

MrMiller
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
No, those are their own markets. Small, but distinct markets.

NRHector
01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I think it does since those cities show SA tv channels specially Eagle Pass Laredo and Del Rio

ATXSPUR
01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Charlotte, Sacramento, Memphis and Milwaukee are the small market teams of the NBA.

Dallas is considered the biggest market in Texas which is stupid since they're the third largest city in Texas behind (1) Houston and (2) SA.

Something tells me that you haven't heard of a metropolitan area.

MrMiller
01-02-2011, 12:34 AM
San Antonio shows the Cowboys games on TV but we're not in their sports market.

frodo
01-02-2011, 12:41 AM

they're all big cities but are not big markets. football & hockey & other sports definitely have poached some sports fans off basketball in those cities imo, and the same happens in NYC as well (Yankees, giants etc...) therefore LA has the biggest basketball market of the nation, LA has no other sports team in the 4 major leagues outside of Lakers and clippers both of which are basketball teams

GSH
01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
When you talk about market, it's the metro area. Dallas and Houston both have metro areas that are several times as large as San Antonio's.

Mark in Austin
01-02-2011, 01:21 AM
:lol Like Quixote tilting at windmills, there will always be people arguing that San Antonio isn't a small market.

50 cent
01-02-2011, 01:33 AM
LA has no other sports team in the 4 major leagues outside of Lakers and clippers both of which are basketball teams
Say what?

LA Kings
Anaheim Ducks
LA Dodgers
Anaheim Angels

smrattler
01-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Dallas is considered the biggest market in Texas which is stupid since they're the third largest city in Texas behind (1) Houston and (2) SA.

"Size of city" in terms of people I guess you mean, is very misleading. Dallas is in reality several times larger than S.A. In terms of large corporation representation, it's easy, Dallas has tons and S.A. by comparison has none really. Houston has the same thing over S.A.

greyforest
01-02-2011, 02:45 AM

woot SAtown representing FIERCE right between Greenville - Spartanburg - Asheville - Anderson and West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce

LoneStarState'sPride
01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Say what?

LA Kings
Anaheim Ducks
LA Dodgers
Anaheim Angels

Uh, that's "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." GET. IT. RIGHT.

[/MLB]

Man In Black
01-02-2011, 03:24 AM
It's DMA- Designated Market Area or Media Area. It's defined by Nielsen, the ratings people and the key indicator is households in the area. Just based on proximity, some DMA's get an uptick. It's not just Dallas, but Dallas and Fort Worth. For LA, it's all of the city and Orange County too. San Antonio's DMA is small and Austin, according to Nielsen, is big enough to be it's own DMA, so you can't include them either. Kori's link shows you the market. And truth be told, it hasn't changed much in 10 years at the top. So yeah, Houston and Dallas aren't small market.

Seventyniner
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
lol at people getting butthurt over the size of the San Antonio TV market.

SA is a small TV market, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Let's just enjoy the kickass basketball the Spurs are playing.

Harry Callahan
01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
The SA TV market (I guess SA, Austin, Corpus, etc is a market) is small compared to Houston and DFW (Fort Worth, Mid Cities, Dallas) is a very big market.

DFW and Houston are in the top six or seven TV markets in the country.

ChuckD
01-02-2011, 09:53 AM

/thread

It's all abut television sets, and yes, we are a small market, BH.

ChuckD
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM

SA is a designated secondary market for them, and the purest play in that category in the NFL. That's one reason that no matter what he says, Jerry will fight to the death to see that we never get a team of our own, even if a time comes that we can support it.

Trill Clinton
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
lol bnsf:lol:downspin: