PDA

View Full Version : This team feels like 99030507 to me...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-02-2011, 04:26 AM
So, over 20 years of NBA-watching experience I eventually learned that the first month to 6 weeks of the season usually means very little:

many teams trot out multiple lineups as coaches try to find efficient combinations;

defenses are generally pretty ragged as players new to each other learn their teammates' tendencies, and their defensive schemes;

many players, especially veterans, ease into the season in the knowledge that they have 82 games to play by early April;

etc.

Thus, I've been watching patiently, enjoying the hell out of our winning, and reserving judgement until I've seen a big enough sample size of games to really feel out the ceiling of this team. IMHO, this is a really good one.

Winning a Larry O'Brien Trophy is all about balance, flexibility, and chemistry, and this team has those 3 qualities in spades. We are legitimately 10-deep with players to cover just about any situation (we're a bit weak guarding big, scoring SFs, but have just about everything else covered); the team D is coming along nicely and will be razor sharp by March; the offensive understanding and timing between the players is almost elite already; and team chemistry - the understanding between players of their roles and tendencies, combined with morale and overall awareness of the team rules and game plan - is already elite.

That a number of individual players still have improvement to find in their games, and that chemistry can only improve as the team plays together, suggests that this team has a championship ceiling, and, injuries aside, will certainly go deep in the playoffs.

I am so excited about this team that I've just started planning for a trip to SA in April (hopefully for one month or so). I don't plan trips like this lightly.

So let's all cross our fingers that the injuries stay away and watch this beautiful team grow towards a Championship.

:toast

:flag:

TJastal
01-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Doesn't feel like it to me with Matt Bonner logging 25 minutes a game.

jjktkk
01-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Sorry buddy, you don't count. The Op was reaching out to knowledgable Spurs fans.

jjktkk
01-02-2011, 05:45 AM
So, over 20 years of NBA-watching experience I eventually learned that the first month to 6 weeks of the season usually means very little:

many teams trot out multiple lineups as coaches try to find efficient combinations;

defenses are generally pretty ragged as players new to each other learn their teammates' tendencies, and their defensive schemes;

many players, especially veterans, ease into the season in the knowledge that they have 82 games to play by early April;

etc.

Thus, I've been watching patiently, enjoying the hell out of our winning, and reserving judgement until I've seen a big enough sample size of games to really feel out the ceiling of this team. IMHO, this is a really good one.

Winning a Larry O'Brien Trophy is all about balance, flexibility, and chemistry, and this team has those 3 qualities in spades. We are legitimately 10-deep with players to cover just about any situation (we're a bit weak guarding big, scoring SFs, but have just about everything else covered); the team D is coming along nicely and will be razor sharp by March; the offensive understanding and timing between the players is almost elite already; and team chemistry - the understanding between players of their roles and tendencies, combined with morale and overall awareness of the team rules and game plan - is already elite.

That a number of individual players still have improvement to find in their games, and that chemistry can only improve as the team plays together, suggests that this team has a championship ceiling, and, injuries aside, will certainly go deep in the playoffs.

I am so excited about this team that I've just started planning for a trip to SA in April (hopefully for one month or so). I don't plan trips like this lightly.

So let's all cross our fingers that the injuries stay away and watch this beautiful team grow towards a Championship.

The skys the limit for this team. With Pop amping up the offense, while still getting the team to improve on defense, I too am jacked up for this team.

TJastal
01-02-2011, 05:53 AM
The skys the limit for this team. With Pop amping up the offense, while still getting the team to improve on defense, I too am jacked up for this team.

Pull your head outta your ass a second. In playoff basketball everything is going to slow down and teams are going to start making the spurs play halfcourt basketball where defense will start to matter again.

Bonner getting 25 minutes a game isn't conducive to this entire concept.

jjktkk
01-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Pull your head outta your ass a second. In playoff basketball everything is going to slow down and teams are going to start making the spurs play halfcourt basketball where defense will start to matter again.

No shit Sherlock. Do you think Bonner is a fast break player? Regardless if defenses slows the Spurs down, it has no bearing on Bonner's game. Bonner just has to shed his chokes in the playoff label. Maybe instead shitting on Bonner, try pulling for him. But you seem to get off on shitting on the Spurs, so I guess just keep on keeping on.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-02-2011, 06:03 AM

This thread is more about the big picture, but you raise a fair concern. However, while Bonner is a liability if played too long in the wrong situations, he's actually playing really well this year and even played excellent defense against the Fakers (and other teams) when I was screaming at Pop (through the laptop screen :lol) for leaving him in too long. Bonner is having a better than expected season, and he doesn't seem to need his 3s to be falling to contribute this year.

I think Pop mostly knows how to use Bonner these days and yanks him when he's a liability, but I have no doubt we'll see more Dice in certain situations (remember, he's an after ASB-break player), and Splitter if he can work it out.

Spursfanfromafar
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
We are legitimately 10-deep with players to cover just about any situation (we're a bit weak guarding big, scoring SFs, but have just about everything else covered);

This link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=usw29)from Basketball-Reference tells us that the guys who have scored the most and with high percentages against the Spurs this year are mostly either PGs (Derrick Rose et al) or Front court players (Kevin Love, Dwight Howard et al).

SFs are not quite in the picture here.

DMC
01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Whether or not Bonner will choke in the playoffs isn't the point. Bonner is a part of what the Spurs are currently doing. James Anderson will return and when he does, Pop will find minutes for him. He's probably not going to take too many minutes from Hill, probably none. Neal is playing well, can take up the 3pt shooting slack that might be left if Bonner sees less playing time. McDyess has been eerily absent in the past few games. He's going to be a big part of the playoff roster, he has to be.

This team isn't full throttle. When they become that way, look out.

ElNono
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
It doesn't look like those teams at all, IMO. Those teams had an average offense extremely reliant on Duncan (even 07, which was more balanced, but still needed that dominating presence inside), and they grew up into a defensive powerhouse as the season went along. There was also fairly little usable youth in the bench for those teams.

This is a very different team. It's yet to be seen how they do in the playoffs.
Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

fotan2
01-02-2011, 02:16 PM
This spurs team is really making me excited. I haven't been to their games since a couple years ago. I feel that it is a necessity to attending the game and witnessing the victory, probably for the one last time in Timmy's era. just booked my flight back to Toronto on Feb 9th. yeah

TampaDude
01-02-2011, 06:03 PM
The Spurs will win it all. Book it. :lobt2:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
It doesn't look like those teams at all, IMO. Those teams had an average offense extremely reliant on Duncan (even 07, which was more balanced, but still needed that dominating presence inside), and they grew up into a defensive powerhouse as the season went along. There was also fairly little usable youth in the bench for those teams.

This is a very different team. It's yet to be seen how they do in the playoffs.
Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

I didn't say it "looked" like those teams, I said it "feels" like those years, and then went on to explain what that means in terms of chemistry. Of course, this team is utterly different, but they feel like a real championship contender to me. They are very good this early in the season and have room to grow. It feels like a winning year.

rascal
04-26-2011, 06:04 PM
The last two posters were totally fooled with the fast start and record and did not see who was on the roster, especially how weak the front line was.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
The last two posters were totally fooled with the fast start and record and did not see who was on the roster, especially how weak the front line was.

the way i see if ur playing out in the competitive western conference, first team to 50 wins is what it all matters the most if you wanna secure a playoff spot...whatever happens from there on all comes down to tweaking the roster and adjustments....

the half court offense is still there, but we need to crank up the defense...at times we look good and times we look pathetic....

silverblk mystix
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Bonner stepped up alright....

jeebus
04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
:lol Wow, these posters were all over Bonner's nuts. Apparently unknowledgeable Spurs fans aren't aren't blind homers.

Mal
04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Only guy who is capable of stepping up is Gary Neal, but he plays Manu and Parker spots, so he wont get his chances.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Only guy who is capable of stepping up is Gary Neal, but he plays Manu and Parker spots, so he wont get his chances.

apparently we have no player on the team atm who gives a shit no more :(

as for gary neal, his the 3rd coming of roger mason...either hitting the rookie wall in the playoffs, or doing alot of shit his not expected,

example faking his defender on a open 3pt shot and penetrating for the closer shot or passing it out....

TE
04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Great bump.

ManuBalboa
04-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Sorry buddy, you don't count. The Op was reaching out to knowledgable Spurs fans.

loooooooooooooomao fail.

widowmaker
04-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Memphis up 3-1 dude for real? Lol. I don't have a bad attitude about it, I'm just being realistic. That team out there lastnight looked non-competitive, confused and with no urgency. Even if they win tomorrow it's gonna take a miracle to win in Memphis game 6. There's always room for a miracle but what are the chances of that?

tlongII
04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
TJastal dropping some knowledge bombs in here.

tlongII
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Does Ruff still have his trip to San Antonio planned?

Russ
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM

etc.

I want some of that eucalyptus-powered weed!