PDA

View Full Version : Ok now that fabulous 2010 and New Years Day run is over, how do we stop Amare

Rummpd
01-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Or should the Spurs just let him score and stop whatever relative garbage is the rest of the Knicks?

By the way, notice for all the hype of the 18-14 Knicks for awhile they have a point differential under 1 (0.72 vs. about 5.34 for a team like the Bulls who have won just 4 more games ) and are the 17th ranked team in Hollinger's power rankings (having played a far easier schedule than the Spurs) and are free falling back to earth the last few weeks:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

They are now also projected to win only 43 games:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

Don't lay down for this one Spurs - go at them hard early and rest up for the Celtics!

TJastal
01-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Bonner's gonna shut that ass down, then take him to school on the low block.

Rummpd
01-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Bonner's gonna shut that ass down, then take him to school on the low block.

Sadly that may be Pop's plan - I see a 40 point night coming for Amare but Spurs will prevail anyway.

Brazil
01-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Or should the Spurs just let him score and stop whatever relative garbage is the rest of the Knicks?

By the way, notice for all the hype of the 18-14 Knicks for awhile they have a point differential under 1 (0.74) and are the 17th ranked team in Hollinger's power rankings (having played a far easier schedule than the Spurs) and are free falling back to earth the last few weeks:

Don't lay down for this one Spurs - go at them hard early and rest up for the Celtics!

I posted that on another thread but once again there's amare of course but there is for me the 3 pts issue too, ny has some good 3 pts threat beginning with danilo and we are not very good at defending 3s.

romain.star
01-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I posted that on another thread but once again there's amare of course but there is for me the 3 pts issue too, ny has some good 3 pts threat beginning with danilo and we are not very good at defending 3s.

This

8FOR!3
01-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I'd try to contain Amar'e to the best of our ability, but the gameplan isn't to stop him. You've got to shut down Raymond Felton, where the attack starts. From there you play tight D on the outside shooters, mainly Gallo. Ginobili's capable of frustrating Landry Fields enough as to where his intangibles don't even really show up.

Em-City
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
wilson chandler's been a beast this year too...

i think that if our shots aren't falling, our transition defense is gonna be a big factor.

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
i dont think any knick can even defend bonner out in the perimeter or down the low block, dude is just unstoppable when he backs out that junk of his, so what is he going to do with that junk, all that junk in his trunk...

ChuckD
01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
NY is getting exposed and is dropping in the standings now that they've hit a patch in their schedule of + .500 teams. I don't really care about "stopping Amare" so much as I care about "beating NY". Amare approached 40ppg in the 2005 playoffs, and we handily dispatched the Suns.

dbestpro
01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Amare should get his, but we should shut everyone else down. We should own the boards. Tough question is can Blair finally start guarding a perimeter big man?

YoMamaIsCallin
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd try to contain Amar'e to the best of our ability, but the gameplan isn't to stop him. You've got to shut down Raymond Felton, where the attack starts. From there you play tight D on the outside shooters, mainly Gallo. Ginobili's capable of frustrating Landry Fields enough as to where his intangibles don't even really show up.

Exactly. And TP has to remain aggressive, no one has been able to stop him.

Amar'e doesn't make the Knicks that much better. He can get his.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Amare should get his, but we should shut everyone else down. We should own the boards. Tough question is can Blair finally start guarding a perimeter big man?

Lamar Odom and Jeff Green say hi.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201012280SAS.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201101010SAS.html

dbestpro
01-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Lamar Odom and Jeff Green say hi.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201012280SAS.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201101010SAS.html

I would say hello to both that neither player received any passes while open at the three. That was more a failure of their team than anything Blair did on the perimeter.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I would say hello to both that neither player received any passes while open at the three. That was more a failure of their team than anything Blair did on the perimeter.

:lol

You have video of them left alone and undefended?

Blair did a good job on both of those players.

100%duncan
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
let bonner guard him he'll be confused he's so open and he'll miss his shots

CubanMustGo
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
The D'Antonis (1st in ppg, 28th in ppg allowed) are all of 5-9 against teams over .500. We play smart Spurs ball and it shouldn't be much of a contest. Let A'm'a'''r'''e get his 40 and strangle the rest of the team.

SpurSpurSpurs
01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
If Amare is unstoppable, then let him play his game. No need to waste energy with that guy, unless you have some big who can stick with him which we do not. I'd like Pop to tell his boys not to let other players of Knicks get involved. That's how you can play it. Play SOLID D against their position 1-4 and just be smart in playing their 5. If this is playoffs/finals, Pop would hack-a-MARE him. :)

weebo
01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
How are the knicks stopping the Spurs?

kaji157
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
We never cared, we just let him knock everyone out of the game, and you put pressure on felton and the shooters.

greyforest
01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
fuck the knicks, they are going to get steamrolled. boston on the b2b, who knows.

Brazil
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Overlooking the knicks like some fans here would be foolish. I watched them playing @orl and without amare fool troubles I think they could have won this game.

ElNono
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
It's SSOL vs NIW!!!

DMC
01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
A-mare always scores. Big deal. We get their shooters firing off bricks and that 7 second bullshit, we own them.

DMC
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Overlooking the knicks like some fans here would be foolish. I watched them playing @orl and without amare fool troubles I think they could have won this game.

Without Amare's foul trouble, the Suns would have a couple rings already. Amare is a foul waiting to happen. He's not very smart. That's part of his game.

That's like saying "without Shaq's FT woes, they would have won the game".

HarlemHeat37
01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant "foul trouble due to poor officiating"..Amare was taken out of the game by bad calls, the Knicks had all the momentum and would have probably won that game..

Agloco
01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Answered your own question here boss. The Knicks have a whole lot of nothing outside of Amare. Make him beat you, shut everyone else down.

boutons_deux
01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
We eliminated the Suns with Amare averaging about 35 pts/game.

And these Knicks are nowhere near where those Suns were.

Mel_13
01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
How are the knicks stopping the Spurs?

Exactly.

The Pacers have 15 offensive rebounds against the Knicks.....in the first half. Interesting to note that the Pacers are 27th in the league in offensive rebounding.

Brazil
01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant "foul trouble due to poor officiating"..Amare was taken out of the game by bad calls, the Knicks had all the momentum and would have probably won that game..

Absolutely, for once Amare is not at the origin of his fool troubles, officiating has been awful during this game. Officiating totally changed the game, a lot of the fools have been called on perfectly legit Amare's blks which lead to momentum killer.

crc21209
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Speaking of the Knicks game, I'm watching it as I type this, and Gallinari just went down with a knee injury. He was under the basket getting position for a rebound when Brandon Rush of the Pacers drove in and fell right into Gallinari's knee...

jjktkk
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM

By the way, notice for all the hype of the 18-14 Knicks for awhile they have a point differential under 1 (0.72 vs. about 5.34 for a team like the Bulls who have won just 4 more games ) and are the 17th ranked team in Hollinger's power rankings (having played a far easier schedule than the Spurs) and are free falling back to earth the last few weeks:

It will probably have to be by committee, as far as defending Stoudamire. McDyess will probably be the main guy. I would play off on Stoudamire and make him hit his jumper.

TD 21
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
"We" don't stop him . . . and the Spurs don't, either. First of all, he's not stoppable. Second of all, even if he was stoppable, the Spurs don't have the personnel to do the stopping.

What they'll do is attack his inadequate defense at the other end. That means going to Duncan early and often, since Stoudemire isn't capable of adequately defending him. They'll inevitably have to double and when they do, the Spurs will get clean looks from three. Also, this could lead to Stoudemire getting in foul trouble.

I hope Pop doesn't limit Duncan's minutes too much (first of a back-to-back and three-in-four) and play McDyess or Bonner on him too much, because they can't guard him either and can't hurt him nearly as much on the other end.

Instead, Pop should lean on Duncan, make them play Turiaf (and possibly Mozgov) more, which means they'll have to sacrifice some outside shooting, because they'll have to play two bigs together more than they normally do.

I expect the Spurs to pound the Knicks on the glass and in the paint in general. But in the process, no matter what they do (short of getting him in foul trouble), they probably won't be able to prevent him from getting 30-35.

Dex
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Answered your own question here boss. The Knicks have a whole lot of nothing outside of Amare. Make him beat you, shut everyone else down.

Pretty much this. You use the old Phoenix gameplan and let Amare try to beat you by himself. Now you don't even have Nash to worry about.

DMC
01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Duncan and Turiaf are good friends. They will take it easy on each other. Amare won't be a problem. He will pick up a technical or two, and will probably have 3 fouls midway through the 2nd (one of them offensive thanks to Manu)

jeebus
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Pretty much this. You use the old Phoenix gameplan and let Amare try to beat you by himself. Now you don't even have Nash to worry about.
Yup. Amare can score 40 points but if the rest of his team only scores 30 or 40, then that's an easy victory.

DPG21920
01-02-2011, 07:31 PM
That is not true. NY has plenty of guys outside of Amare. They are the highest scoring team in the league and Amare isn't averaging 100+ points a game :lol

Also for a team that doesn't defend the 3PT line well, NY takes the most in the league and is the 9th best 3PT shooting team.

Spurs are better, but there are things to focus on.

Dex
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
marcus haislip.

Wait.

dirk stopper!

ALVAREZ6
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
stopping Amare is not a concern for the San Antonio Spurs

They will play each other in 2 relatively irrelevant games in all of the 2010-2011 season.

Barney Stinson
01-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Seriously, I wish the Spurs all the best for the game. And I hope they'll win.
It's so much better to comfort a sad but hot Knicks-Girl after her team lost. :tu

tmtcsc
01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Duncan and Turiaf are good friends.

HUH ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/GrayWolf323/Miscellaneous/NotSureIfSerious.jpg