PDA

View Full Version : Despite pace, Spurs focus is on playoffs not milestones

duncan228
01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Despite pace, Spurs focus is on playoffs not milestones (http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/art_garcia/01/02/spurs-feature/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)
Art Garcia
NBA.com

SAN ANTONIO -- The question received a predictable eye roll and exasperated sigh from Gregg Popovich. Are the Spurs thinking about 70? Yes, as in 70 wins.

"No, Jesus," San Antonio's no-nonsense coach replied. "You still drunk?"

Spurs opponents are the ones often feeling flattened by a post-New Year hangover. Popovich's 15th team is off to the best start in franchise annals, owns the league's best record by a startling four games and, to be fair, is on a 72-win pace.

"I wouldn't give it a moment's thought -- now or ever," Popovich added when pressed on 70. "I just think it's a ridiculous thought."

Not that Pop is thinking about that, or much else these days in regards to numbers. He claims not to pay much heed to San Antonio's surprising offensive prowess -- top five in scoring, field-goal percentage and 3-point percentage -- and really could care less about any run at history or the 1996 Chicago Bulls.

"I don't try to figure things out," Popovich said. "Just play each day, go to practice, go to the game and the stats are what they are. I didn't plan on being as low as we are defensively."

That's the only possible chink in the armor with the season's halfway point about two weeks away, and those dents appear to be getting banged out. San Antonio sits middle of the pack in most defensive categories, which is surprising for a team that's forged an identity for more than a decade by locking foes down.

But guess what? The Spurs had perhaps their most impressive defensive performance of the season Saturday in destroying Oklahoma City by 27 points. The Thunder, limited to a paltry 33-percent shooting, came into the evening with the Western Conference's fourth-best record and leading the Northwest Division.

Since a 22-point loss at Orlando on Dec. 23, the Spurs have turned up the heat on the defensive end. It was after that game that Popovich made a point during a film session to show the team where its defensive numbers rank within the league. Pop then listed the top four defensive teams this season.

"They were the teams that were in the Finals the last few years," Richard Jefferson said.

Point taken. San Antonio has allowed in order during its four-game winning streak 80 points (Washington), 82 (L.A. Lakers), 93 (Dallas) and 74 (Oklahoma City). Only the Mavericks shot better than 40 percent, and that was 42.7.

"Hopefully, it turns into a trend," Manu Ginobili said of the defensive uptick.

And don't forget these Spurs run and shoot 3s, and look good doing it. Tim Duncan is the team's fourth-leading scorer -- fourth! -- and they're better because of the Hall of Famer's unselfishness. Ginobili and Tony Parker are back at All-Star level. George Hill and rookie-find Gary Neal are dynamic options off the bench.

The Spurs are beating teams because teams can't keep up with the Spurs. Strange, we know.

"This change in style has been happening for a while, but this year it's taken another step," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "And also they're healthy. This team hasn't been this healthy in years. It took them a while to get to that point, but it's been very fruitful."

Thunder coach Scott Brooks couldn't help but gush about the job Popovich has done.

"He's the best," Brooks said. "Every year he brings something new to their team and this year they're as fast as any team. They move the ball better than any team. They're a 3-point shooting threat every time down court.

"And when things don't go well, they still have Duncan. They don't seem to have to use him often, but he can still score 20 and 15 rebounds a game."

Duncan just happened to drop 21 and nine on the Thunder in three quarters of work. His drop in production -- averaging career lows in points (13.6) and boards (9.4) -- can't be viewed as diminishing skills. Carlisle and Brooks both virtually guaranteed that Duncan would make another All-Star team next month, and since the coaches decide the reserves, it's a pretty safe bet No. 21 joins his peers in Los Angeles.

The Spurs just don't need Duncan to carry the load every night anymore. Unlike Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas or Kobe Bryant with the Lakers, the Spurs can survive many nights with Duncan playing a supporting role. Again, strange.

"You can't transition away from a Hall of Famer," Hill said. "That's almost impossible. We know we can't focus on Tim. We know we have other great players that can make plays."

Thunder star Kevin Durant recalled the first meeting against San Antonio this season, a mid-November game in which Duncan scored just six.

"You looked over at the bench after they were up 10 or 12 and he was the happiest guy on the bench," Durant said of Duncan. "A young player like myself, and us as a team, we can learn from that. A guy that's a Hall of Famer, has won championships, has [six] points and contributes to a win by being a great teammate."

And then Duncan can have nights like Saturday where he knocks down 10 of 15 shots and leaves the Thunder's interior defenders looking helpless.

"They figure out ways to win and when they need him to join in the party, they give it to him," Brooks said.

Brooks called the Spurs the "best team in basketball" several times Saturday, and he wouldn't find much argument right now. San Antonio is a team steamrolling to homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs, but is 70 possible? Maybe. Just don't ask Pop.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/art_garcia/01/02/spurs-feature/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

celldweller
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
agreed. we'll probably win 58 or so

7 more games than we won last year? Yea right! I'm thinking barring injury to Parker or Duncan.....mid 60's.

Blackjack
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
New year, still ain't learned.

228, I apologize. :downspin:

igruex
01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Mostly crap, only the quotes were worth it.

EricB
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I say the beat the team record by 1. 64-18...

Rather.Unique
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
i think they can win 66-67 games this year.

boutons_deux
01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't care about 66W or 56W season, I only care about a 16W playoff season.

Sec24Row7
01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't care about 66W or 56W season, I only care about a 16W playoff season.

No homerism, but I feel this team is good enough to win 17 games in the playoffs :rollin

No seriously... we need to work on swarming bigs since we are so small... and a team that gets it going inside out has the opportunity to really hurt us.

DMC
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Who cares how many games they win? HCA throughout is the key. After that sit everyone and get the bench some minutes.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, they won't win 70. Once they lock in 1st place in the Playoff spot, Pop will start resting the starters more.

TampaDude
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, they won't win 70. Once they lock in 1st place in the Playoff spot, Pop will start resting the starters more.

^ this

I still think we win 60-65 games. We'll have to in order to lock up the top seed.

ChuckD
01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
For about a week or so, I've been thinking 65 would be the magic number. That would require slightly less than .740 ball.

duncan228
01-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Weekend Dime (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110101-03/daily-dime)
Marc Stein
ESPN

6. Marc's Quote

"We're not going to keep this pace up for the entire year."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, offering up a fairly tame entry for those of you collecting predictions for 2011.

You have little choice but to agree with Popovich, rather than dismiss the sentiment as typically pessimistic coach speak, once you do the math on San Antonio's 28-4 start. That's because Thursday night's victory in Dallas put the Spurs on a 72-win pace, which would mean we've got some huge news coming in April 2011 if Popovich is wrong, since Chicago's 72-10 record in 1995-96 is the best of all time.

Anyone out there think the Spurs really can make a run at the exclusive 70-win club?

It's no knock on them to be skeptical, because you also have to know that Popovich will be the last coach to chase such a thing. He's been riding the Spurs hard lately, worried that teamwide slippage in the focus department is somewhat inevitable when a team starts this hot, but nothing has changed in his mind. Nothing is more important to Pop than keeping Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

The Spurs unquestionably have more depth, balance and offensive weaponry than we've seen from them for ages, which has eased the offensive burden on Duncan and allowed Popovich to play him less than 30 minutes nightly without consequence. But veteran Spurs-watchers insist that the top condition their stars are in -- as well as the refreshing responsibility Ginobili and Parker feel to live up to the contract extensions they signed in 2010 -- is what's really driving them.

"This team hasn't been this healthy for years," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said of the Spurs.

This team also is suddenly more dangerous when it has the ball than anyone can remember. San Antonio's defense can still dig into elite scorers with ferocity, as Kobe Bryant found out Tuesday night, but Popovich has no choice but to talk about the shift in offensive focus from Duncan to the run-minded Ginobili and Parker when his Spurs are tops in the league in offensive efficiency at 110.3 points per 100 possessions.

He doesn't have to like it, though.

"I'm still not buyin' it," Popovich said of San Antonio's supposed new offense-first identity. "That's the truth. That's the truth. I don't know what else to tell you. I ain't buyin' it.

"That's not who we are. We don't do that."

That would appear to be who they are now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110101-03/daily-dime

Dex
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Only CIA Pop could play a trumpet to near perfection, then insist he was trying to play the tuba instead.

Spurs Brazil
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Great read

phyzik
01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Only CIA Pop could play a trumpet to near perfection, then insist he was trying to play the tuba instead.

that made me chuckle a bit. :toast

Manu-of-steel
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM
CIA Pop.lol

DMC
01-02-2011, 11:42 PM
5th ring is a milestone...

LoneStarState'sPride
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Simply put, this team has lost its goddamn mind. Even so, Pop WILL tap the brakes once we're assured HCA. Imma go with 64-66 wins for this team. Honestly, I don't see us pulling anymore W's than that because Pop will either rest the starters for the playoffs or cede the seeding battle to a team that doesn't mind playing their stars 40+ mins a night to get it.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Fuck Art Garcia

EricB
01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
I see Pop cranking up the minutes in march, backing off a bit in April.

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
lock that first seed in the west for HCA through out the playoffs

unleash the bench and roster rotation especially splitter 6 man fouls to play around with b4 playoffs start

thispego
01-03-2011, 01:41 AM
I could see us going, say 29-20 and finishing with a solid 58-24 record. The Spurs have never won more than 63 games.

lol :lmao This dude is not real. ANyone who thinks so is an idiot :lol