PDA

View Full Version : Defense and GHill

sandman
01-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Interesting that at the beginning of the season, it was generally agreed that GHill was not playing well. Interesting in how his continually improving play has made a marked difference on the overall team defense.

First 15 games (13-2) = 6 100+ points by opponents, 17th ranked scoring defense (GHill 9 ppg, 44% fga, 32% 3pa)

Next 18 games (16-2) = 6 100+ points by opponents (4 of which when GHill was out with his toe injury), 10th ranked scoring defense. (13 ppg, 51% fga, 51% 3pa)

Last 4 games (4-0) after GHill came back = opponents scoring 82.5 points per game. But, they are only averaging 98 points a game, over 7 points below their season average.

This stretch of games before the next Dallas rematch should be interesting:
Up-tempo with NY and Minny, but slowing it down against BOS, IND and MIL. I'm actually more comfortable with the up-tempo matchups than I am against the grind it out teams. Not sure that they have a consistent interior presence yet to close out those low scoring games.

DMC
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Pop broke his fucking toe, told him to straighten up or he breaks another.

Manu-of-steel
01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I liked the last four wins.

TiMMeH*faN*frOmNY
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I liked the last four wins.
Werd george hill looked like the warden out there with that lock up d these past few games

pjjrfan
01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
His help defense is very impressive. He seems to be one step ahead of the offense. And he recovers quickly enough so as not to get burned. And I see a lot of Bowen's techniques in HIll,obviously he was paying attention when Bowen played with him.

DMC
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
George's reach is deceptively long. His reach fooled Kobe a few times.

Josepatches_
01-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Obviously Bowen was a better defensive player one on one but Hill's help defense is better.He has the quickness and the speed to recover that Bowen hadn't.Hill is everywhere

They are pretty different.Bowen was on his man like a shadow all the time.He was the best doing that.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-02-2011, 11:55 PM
He has made our team defense better since coming back but I still consider his individual defense against the Lakers to be a fluke until he proves me otherwise.

On the fence about his individual defense overall.

lmbebo
01-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Figured I'd throw this out there instead of starting a new topic..

Spurs are now tenth in the league in points allowed. 14th in opponent FG percentage.

Both promising signs. I think if we can crack top 5 in each, things will better looking towards the playoffs.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 12:34 AM
He has made our team defense better since coming back but I still consider his individual defense against the Lakers to be a fluke until he proves me otherwise.

On the fence about his individual defense overall.

It seems to be locked in at times and not so good other times, but the biggest flaw I see is his inability to fight through screens sometimes. You gotta be great at this to be a truly talented lock-down defender. That said, I'll agree his help D has been good this year.

buttsR4rebounding
01-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Figured I'd throw this out there instead of starting a new topic..

Spurs are now tenth in the league in points allowed. 14th in opponent FG percentage.

Both promising signs. I think if we can crack top 5 in each, things will better looking towards the playoffs.

Last 5 games, even with the Orlando debacle 4th in points allowed and 2nd in opp FG %. It may be coming around.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Y'know, all this talk about which Spur should be an All-Star, should Manu be in the MVP discussion, etc.

If you think about it, the only Spurs who should be frontrunners in the discussion for awards are Pop for COY and Hill for Sixth Man.

Danny.Zhu
01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm still mad at him for the Suns series.

EricB
01-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Y'know, all this talk about which Spur should be an All-Star, should Manu be in the MVP discussion, etc.

If you think about it, the only Spurs who should be frontrunners in the discussion for awards are Pop for COY and Hill for Sixth Man.

Crazy talk....

Penya
01-03-2011, 09:15 AM

What about Duncan for DPOY?

silverblk mystix
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm still mad at him for the Suns series.

+1

I know it is harsh...but he really shit the bed against the suns and it will take a very strong showing IN THE PLAYOFFS for Hill to erase that stigma...

ShoogarBear
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
What about Duncan for DPOY?

If Duncan couldn't win it when he was the foundation of the unquestioned best defense in the league, no way he wins it now that his skills have diminished some and the Spurs defense is no longer the best.

Spurs7794
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
+1

I know it is harsh...but he really shit the bed against the suns and it will take a very strong showing IN THE PLAYOFFS for Hill to erase that stigma...

He played badly in games 1 and 3 and decent in games 2 and 4. He was awesome in the latter half of the Mavs series...we don't win game 6 and definitely not game 4 without him. IMO, he's already shown he's a playoff performer.

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

Spurs are actually 7th in the league in defense when using the metric of points against per 100 possessions and not that far from the 3-6 teams.

If Spurs move into the top 5 in these metrics they will be fine going forward.