PDA

View Full Version : Season Report--CBF Style--Mouse--

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Too much shit going on within the past two weeks I mostly missed out on.

Well let me say how I feel right here right now in this season because ain't to many posters expressing my sentiments already.

I have a horrible feeling that we are setting ourselves on a course to mirror the Faggity Dallas Mavericks of 2007.

Now I know all you will say that history points us to otherwise, that there were this or that reasons for the outcomes of 2007.

But with Memphis completely impaling the tonsils of Kobe tonight, I just cannot help but think this is the case.

Coming into this season, looking at the mileage of the Laker roster I knew they were in for some bumps, from a statistical and probability point of view. They were the only team I truly feared post Amare-Trade. But the Mavs got fucking Chandler. And when they were 100%, quite honestly, I did agree with Charles Barkley. I did believe they were playing the best ball in Texas.

Now The Lakers are slumping (we been there) and the mavericks are hurt (we been there)

We have been on BOTH the other sides of the current NBA equation and managed to win an NBA Championship.

My major concern is that, like it or not, with every coming win the San Antonio Spurs are in uncharted territory. And how much a fucking edge can a team have if we are cruising to victory over victory? When is CIA Pop going to kick in? Is he at all?

Popovich is the one thing about this entire season that is giving me my most solid foundation of hope.

Because if we keep schooling fools left and right, he's going to do something to bring us back down to earth. Popovich might have changed his sentiments on playing young players but he is still a very stubborn coach set in his ways. He is the main reason I'm not "worried worried"

But I cannot help but have the feeling that we're setting ourselves up for a dominant regular season and near-instant exit from the playoffs.

Look only at the season averages for offense and defense and that's a big part of it.

Out.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I hear people talking all the time about how we're a bad defensive team this year, and while I'll agree that there is plenty of room for improvement, I feel like people look too much at opponent field goal percentage and think we're a horrible defensive team. The best stat that matters at the end of the day is points allowed per possession, and the Spurs are the 8th best team in the league in that category, ranking better than the Lakers, Indiana, Utah, Atlanta, etc, even though those teams allow a lower opponent shooting percentage. This is because this Spurs squad does a good job of defensive rebounding, keeping opponents off of the free throw line, and forcing turnovers. We may not be the same as past defenses, but we're still effective enough to get the job done. While I'd like to see the Spurs getting into the top five defensively, I'll take 8th for now with the league's best offense.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
If LA or Boston were doing what the Spurs are doing now, there'd be nostop talk on ESPN about "Maybe Greatest Team Ever". But I understand your feeling, this is uncharted territory for Spur Fan. We're not sure how to act or deal with this kind of an early run.

Maybe that's even true to a lesser extent for the coaches. The Spurs have always used a SPAM-like run to tighten things up and build up their chemistry and confidence. But if they continue like this, it Pop will have his work cut out finding things to harp on to goose them up to the next level. The most exciting part is we all know that this team has the potential for being much better than they currently are playing.

In the end, the best thing the Spurs have going for them is that they have Three Guys who truly understand that the gaudy record is nice and everything, but means nothing unless they finish the job.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 01:00 AM
If LA or Boston were doing what the Spurs are doing now, there'd be nostop talk on ESPN about "Maybe Greatest Team Ever". But I understand your feeling, this is uncharted territory for Spur Fan. We're not sure how to act or deal with this kind of an early run.

Maybe that's even true to a lesser extent for the coaches. The Spurs have always used a SPAM-like run to tighten things up and build up their chemistry and confidence. But if they continue like this, it Pop will have his work cut out finding things to harp on to goose them up to the next level. The most exciting part is we all know that this team has the potential for being much better than they currently are playing.

In the end, the best thing the Spurs have going for them is that they have Three Guys who truly understand that the gaudy record is nice and everything, but means nothing unless they finish the job.

Thank you Shoog, for replying and giving your take. Worthwhile read every time.

If you think about it, Phil Jackson is the only coach of this era who has a track record of dealing with "regular season domination" equalling a championship. Popovich is without a doubt number 2 behind Phil, but this is the one, singular regular season difficulty(?) that Pop has never faced nor conquered.
I am getting antsy and tempering my true feelings about how great we are, because these are completely uncharted waters.

This December was great. It was the most fun in the regular season as a Spurs Fan I have had since my stoned drunken brain will allow me to remember. But the big picture does not appear auspicious to me. And I only say this because no one on this spurs forum is singing my tune thus far.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
If you think about it, Phil Jackson is the only coach of this era who has a track record of dealing with "regular season domination" equalling a championship.

Doc Rivers, 2008.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 01:07 AM
a-ha!
so it can be done..

Blake
01-03-2011, 01:10 AM
If you think about it, Phil Jackson is the only coach of this era who has a track record of dealing with "regular season domination" equalling a championship.

how many championships have been won with regular season mediocrity?

maybe the mid 90s Rockets?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
how many championships have been won with regular season mediocrity?

maybe the mid 90s Rockets?

You not getting me brah. Not black and white. Domination is domination. Don't think that I am saying other Spurs championships were won following mediocre regular seasons...

pawe
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
I think being the number 1 team in the league is better because other teams tend to mark their calendar for the hot ones. The extra pressure, extra preparation and inspired play from other teams will toughen the Spurs specially the new guys.

And Im pretty sure the Spur vets almost always remind the others that regular season doesnt matter and they should look to prepare for the playoffs.

thispego
01-03-2011, 01:27 AM
CBF, too worried. personally I'm so excited and confident about this team that i think the only thing stopping #5 would be an injury. knock on wood.

This team has the 2007 feel to it, they bowled through the regular season, in a slightly less impressive fashion, too. That team had its problems also but used their veteran savvy to roll through a pretty weak series of playoff opponents. A more scary comparison would be the 2006 team who also dominated the regular season, but then ran in to big problems in the playoffs; bonzi going jordan on us, then obviously the mavs and the refs. season over.

I feel like this team is more complete, though, and will find answers to their problems in the playoffs this time around.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2011, 01:29 AM
fuck you preggo you're supposed to agree with me according to others on this site!!!

thispego
01-03-2011, 01:33 AM
oh yeah, my bad, sorry i broke character :worthy:

jjktkk
01-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I think I get you CBF. Normally right now the Spurs are still struggling some what to find their rhythm, be it rotations, players injured, etc. The Spurs usually don't kick it into overdrive until after the rodeo trip. So far this year the Spurs are making it look too easy. The Spurs have never started out like this, and the offense has never been this explosive. I'm like most others though, and am just enjoying the ride.

Quasar
01-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Small ball was probably a precursor to this year's offense. Pop's love for small ball definitely had a hand in the Spur's run-and-gun style!

Perhaps he realized that he would not be able to get another player to replace the Admiral and replicate the twin towers, thereby leading to the search for an alternative.

If you think about it from the perspective of the most suitable offense fitting the Spur's best players (Big3 + Jefferson & Hill), run-and-gun is bound to be one of the options. I've always imagined how productive Manu and Tony would have been had they been on the D-less Suns team.

With some hindsight now, taking the athletic decline of Tim, Bruce, and Manu into consideration, one can only conclude it was no longer possible for the Spurs to continue with their "48 mins of hell" style defense. Pop and Bufford probably recognized this earlier, thereby resulting in Bruce's trade. Perhaps it was a gamble on their end since they also realized RJ was not panning out and they hoped the faster pace would be the carrot for RJ's "secret" summer camp.

Back to the topic - after all these years of seeing the "48 mins of hell" Spurs, I also feel quite queasy hearing about their offensive production and hearing little about defense. Moreover, consider Solid D's thread mentionning how the Spur's opponents shoot the 3 better than the Spurs, despite the Spurs leading the league in 3pt percentage!

Nevertheless, if you go back to the previous "SPAM" years, then isn't it customary to complain about bad defense till March-April? With this in perspective, the only difference is that the Spurs have not lost early games due to a better offense, even if the defense is not there yet!

The Spurs teams of recent years were characterized by long offensive droughts; I feel this is finally cured in this year's version.

My hope for this year is that the new offense + SPAM + a generous dose of elite defense = '99 style domination for the :lobt2:

trollt
01-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Does the 99 team count? The 6-8 start & shortened season make it different but they finished 31-5. Also, their magnificent run started on the first game of March so I may just be proving the OP's point.

Still, it was uncharted territory for them and they stayed grounded. My guess is the common links then and now are Pop, steely-eyed vets, and TD.

itzsoweezee
01-03-2011, 02:24 AM
I hear people talking all the time about how we're a bad defensive team this year, and while I'll agree that there is plenty of room for improvement, I feel like people look too much at opponent field goal percentage and think we're a horrible defensive team. The best stat that matters at the end of the day is points allowed per possession, and the Spurs are the 8th best team in the league in that category, ranking better than the Lakers, Indiana, Utah, Atlanta, etc, even though those teams allow a lower opponent shooting percentage. This is because this Spurs squad does a good job of defensive rebounding, keeping opponents off of the free throw line, and forcing turnovers. We may not be the same as past defenses, but we're still effective enough to get the job done. While I'd like to see the Spurs getting into the top five defensively, I'll take 8th for now with the league's best offense.

Excellent points.

carina_gino20
01-03-2011, 06:02 AM
The team sometimes reminds me of 05-06, where different guys were capable of stepping up and winning games any given night, but somehow didn't feel as 'together' as a team as other championship teams were.

It would be interesting to see how the guys deal with this ridiculous record. We're bound to hit a rough patch and what will matter is how the team comes out of it. The scary thing is if we keep on winning against good teams. What Would Pop Do?

GinobiliForTres
01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
The team sometimes reminds me of 05-06, where different guys were capable of stepping up and winning games any given night, but somehow didn't feel as 'together' as a team as other championship teams were.

It would be interesting to see how the guys deal with this ridiculous record. We're bound to hit a rough patch and what will matter is how the team comes out of it. The scary thing is if we keep on winning against good teams. What Would Pop Do?

i'm interested to see if the Spurs can continue their post-ASB dominance. if they start like this and we know their potential, will it show after the ASB when they normally kick it up a notch?

EricB
01-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I think worrying about Dallas getting it back together hinges on how bad Caron Butler's injury is...

Understand your concern about being Dallas 07, but the difference is, the team's franchise player isn't gonna shrink up come playoff time, nor will the second and third scoring options.

Bruno
01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't buy the idea that a too good record doesn't allow Pop to toughen up the team because he doesn't need a loss to call out his players.

Few days ago, after the win against Dallas, Pop wasn't pleased at all with the game even if Spurs won it. He surely had some "kind" words for his players. When you see the next game against Thunder, the players have obviously heard what he has said.

There is a reason to be worried but it's not Spurs turning into a lazy cocky team. Pop is a too good coach and Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are too experienced to let it happen. What is truly worrisome is Spurs defense.

GinobiliForTres
01-03-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't buy the idea that a too good record doesn't allow Pop to toughen up the team because he doesn't need a loss to call out his players.

Few days ago, after the win against Dallas, Pop wasn't pleased at all with the game even if Spurs won it. He surely had some "kind" words for his players. When you see the next game against Thunder, the players have obviously heard what he has said.

There is a reason to be worried but it's not Spurs turning into a lazy cocky team. Pop is a too good coach and Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are too experienced to let it happen. What is truly worrisome is Spurs defense.

so, do you think this 4-game stretch of tight defense is just a fluke for right now? serious question.

Blake
01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
You not getting me brah. Not black and white. Domination is domination.

It's not black and white, but domination is domination.

No, I don't get you.

Bruno
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
so, do you think this 4-game stretch of tight defense is just a fluke for right now? serious question.

Wizards were a D-League team and Spurs' D wasn't that good against the Dirkless Mavs, so it's just 2 great defensive games. It's a too small sample to draw conclusions. We will see if the trend continue.

silverblk mystix
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I see this season as a refreshing change all-around.

Freer offense...a commitment to winning early... a better conditioned team to start the season...no int'l play for TP & Manu...a bench with balls...

No Bogans...No RMJ... an improved and gutsier Bonner---SO FAR...

These games that the spurs are NOT throwing away or worse--- playing with a lackadaisical attitude (wait til the playoffs) ... are ACTUALLY helping to make this team TOUGHER....

Instead of waiting to be tested until april-may...they are being tested now and will be even closer and tougher in april-may...by being forced to play tougher the whole season ...

All these things add up to a formidable team on a mission...Gotta stay confident and not over-think what could go wrong...what perilous dangers lie ahead,etc...

Not overconfident but ...it is nice to regain some swagger that was missing in the last 3-4 years...

Just enjoy the ride and hope the team can weather ANYTHING.

Dice
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I feel like this team is still in the process of coming together, especially on defense. So I'm not worried about them come Playoff time. They're not over achieving, they're doing better than what it seems like they should because of some of the in game lapses us guys watching all the games see now and then.

The wins have been a product of:

A. Parker being somewhat head of the offense when the starting 5 is on the floor. The up tempo style only adds to his already great game and gives him that much more opportunity to score. Teams that know he's looking to penetrate still can't stop him because they don't have time to set up defensively. The only way I've seen teams disrupt him on the break has been by packing the lane with guys trying to take a charge. And that only works every now and then.

B. Guys like Richard Jefferson, George Hill, Gary Neal, and Blair all stepping up their overall game. Even Bonner has looked pretty good in these regular season games. All of these guys, on the nights when they have an "average performance", are playing a level or two above their average performance of last year (Neal being the exception).

C. Defensive rotations are better than they were last year. Not WAY better (if it was way better they'd be looking ridiculously good) but still better.

D. Tim Duncan. Some nights he's quiet but the rest of the time he takes over for stretches and looks like his old dominant self. His help D has been GREAT in my opinion. He anchors the D pretty well for the starting 5.

E. (Homer reason) McDyess coming off the bench has been a great substitute for Tim as far an anchoring the D for the second or small ball units. He's not a huge body clogging the lane and he's not a massive shot blocker-but he does it when it counts. There have been at least 2 different games this season where the opposing team has set a screen at the perimeter and had a one on one with Dice and both times he's blocked the shot. Both times it was for the game. He does a decent enough job that the Spurs aren't getting dominated in the paint when Duncan is out of the game. And forgive me if I sound like a super homer here, but in any game that Dice has come in and played well during his stretch in the game, the Spurs almost always go on a run.

G. nobili. When you absolutely must have a basket at the end of the game, this guy almost always delivers.

So there you go. A high scoring players who breaks defenses down, a dominant PF/C who can score and holds down the D, contributing players around them who are more than just "role players", a much better than average second unit, and a perfect closer. Add to that decent defense and a deep bench that allows Pop to rotate in a good mix of starters and role players and you're not killing your starters.

This team will go deep into the playoffs and only lose to a more complete team that can play lock down defense.

Solid D
01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
I'll add my opinion to CBFs thread. The reason this team mystifies so many people is that the Spurs are still getting 50 ppg from their 3 core players. Their new players, Neal, Splitter and Anderson have made their contributions but only Neal has played significant minutes. Why is this year's team so much better?

I would submit that it is because of the little things like FT improvement, 3-PT shooting accuracy, turnover differential and their 3rd and 4th quarter execution.

People talk about the high-octane offense the Spurs have this season, but the Spurs are only taking 1 more shot/game (82.18) than last season (81.21). They are only making 0.32 more FG/game.

2009-10 FGM 38.41 FGA 81.21
2010-11 FGM 38.73 FGA 82.18

So why are the Spurs averaging 105.6 ppg versus last season's 101.4?
The answer is:
1. FTs - The Spurs near the top 10 in FT accuracy? Really? The Spurs are answering the age-old question: How good could the Spurs be if they would just make their FTs? Last season, the Spurs shot .740 from the charity stripe averaging 17.78 makes/game. So far in 2010-11, San Antonio is shooting .773, 19.24 FTM/game. That's an additional 1 1/2 ppg this season.

2. 3-Pt Accuracy - At this writing, the Spurs are averaging .400 from the arc. That is .042 better than last season (.358). That equates to 2 more 3s made/game. That adds 2 points/game to the old scoring average.

3. Creating turnovers and TO +/- - When was the last time we have seen the Spurs lead the league in TO differential? The Spurs are averaging 8.46 steals/game...almost 2 more steals/game than 2009-10 and they rank 1st in TO +/- at +1.82. Those steals are often resulting in fouls and easier scoring chances.

4. 2nd half efficiency - the Spurs are winning close games. We all see that. Games like PHX, Houston, Charlotte, Minnesota a couple of times, Denver, Orlando...and who can forget the win against Chicago and the 2nd half turn-around in that one? Part of that difference, I would contend, is defensive execution. The Spurs seem to be trapping more (and better) than last year, in order to make up for their size limitations. RJ is staying with his assigment much, much better. Sometimes, Richard looks like he is employing some of Bruce Bowens' techniques in playing over the screen while keeping a hand in contact with his opponent. George has shown similar defensive acuity. The defensive trust as a team is at a level unseen since 2007. When the Spurs can trap their way to wins with smaller lineups, extra effort and trust, that is a dfference maker.

So there you have it. Sometimes, it's the little things that make a difference.

Mark in Austin
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Nice take Solid D. :tu

I would add that it seems to me that there is one other small thing that has changed - when Pop goes small, every position is a treat to score this year. You can't put a defensive stopper with no offensive game out there in a small ball lineup - it just doesn't work with the inherent advantage of small ball - the ability to scramble defenses.

Of course, if a shooter like Bonner goes cold in the postseason, we'll see how quickly Pop adjusts. But if defenses are forced to honor all 5 players in the Spurs lineup, look out.

I used this quote from Charlie Wilson's War in another thread but it fits my perspective on the season perfectly:

Gust Avrakotos: There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. The boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later, the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everyone in the village says, "How terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then, a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs all messed up. and everybody in the village says, "How wonderful."
Charlie Wilson: Now the Zen master says, "We'll see."

Yes, I'm excited about how the team is playing. Yes, I love watching some of the national pundits choke back their disdain and bitterness at having to talk about this team, and then showing their asses by getting so much wrong when they do speak... But can what amounts to mostly quality of play improvements like Solid D described, plus player health put this team over the hump without major structural improvements?

We'll see.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
good take Solid D and Mark in Austin. I do think the spacing is much better this year as opposed to last when Bogans/RJ couldn't hit from 3 with much consistency...

Galileo
01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I have a horrible feeling that we are setting ourselves on a course to mirror the Faggity Dallas Mavericks of 2007.

Here's a few stats that show the Spurs will be well rested for the playoffs and capable of improving over their regular season performance:

Minutes per game, for Spurs playing all 33 games:

BIG THREE

Duncan 28.9
Ginobili 31.5
Parker 33.2

OTHERS

Blair 20.4
Neal 18.1
Jefferson 31.7

These are very light minutes for all of these players.

Games Missed:

Dice 4
Hill 5
Bonner 6
Splitter 7
Anderson 27

So if these players are back, the Spurs will have even more troops for the playoffs. Pop has 11 good players that he can match up for the playoffs, depending who the other team is, performance, streak shooting, foul trouble, etc.

Pop knows what he is doing. And we still have the rodeo road trip ahead. As things stand now, we will get an easy team in the first round, maybe Portland, Houston, or Denver (minus Carmelo?).

In the second round, we get a wounded Dallas or Oklahoma City and we get home court.

Then the Lakers for the third round and the Lakers look they are in decline, plus we will get them at home.

:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Galileo
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
BIG THREE MINUTES HEAT

Lebron 1312
Bosh 1240
Wade 1195

BIG THREE MINUTES SPURS

Parker 1096
Manu 1041
Duncan 955

ANALYSIS

The Heat Big Three have 655 more minutes.

Solid D
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Mark and Mazer! There is no doubt that this season's RJ/Neal/Anderson have spread the floor with their shooting better than RJ/Mason/Bogans. RJ went from .316 from behind the arc to .433 so far this season. Mason shot .333 while Neal is shooting .394 on his 3-Pt shots. Bogans hit .357 of his 3s, whereas Anderson was shooting .500 before he went down. Udoka isn't a factor behind the arc but Quinn keeps it balanced when he plays.

Blake
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Pop has 11 good players that he can match up for the playoffs, depending who the other team is, performance, streak shooting, foul trouble, etc.

If Dallas is healthy come playoff time, it will be very difficult to match up with that length in the front court.

Galileo
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
If Dallas is healthy come playoff time, it will be very difficult to match up with that length in the front court.

you're kidding, right? The Spurs have 5 quality big men who could be starting for other teams.

:lmao

Solid D
01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Since the Spurs are getting an extra 2 points from their 3-Pt accuracy and an extra 1.5 points from their FT shooting...I say Chip Engelland deserves a raise. Since TP, Manu, George and DeJuan are all averaging more than a steal/game, whoever is influencing the active hands and passing lane awareness deserves a raise, also. As I said before, this is where the extra 4 ppg are coming from.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I actually find it interesting that this Spurs "explosively potent" offense is essentially averaging the same amount of points per possession as last year, while the defense has improved from last year. Even so, people are talking about offense more than last year, and saying the defense is worse than last year.

Solid D
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I actually find it interesting that this Spurs "explosively potent" offense is essentially averaging the same amount of points per possession as last year, while the defense has improved from last year. Even so, people are talking about offense more than last year, and saying the defense is worse than last year.

I missed seeing those ppp #s. What are they?

Brazil
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm on the side of the worried people.I'm enjoying the ride so far but, considering of course the health basics, I'm worried about the contributions of 3 / 4 important role players in POs:

- Hill is vastly contributing so far but there is a ? on his PO capacity at least for me, he did a tremendous job against Dallas but has been awful against Phoenix.

- How Neal and Anderson will help in the POs ? we will only figure out during the POs, I still remember being hyped by RMJ before the POs.

- Difficult to not recognize the very good job done by Bonner so far but at the same time we also know he will fade away when it matters, so goodbye the 3s to save the day.

- At a less extent I hope RJ will maintain his intensity.

Phillip
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM
then obviously the mavs and the refs. season over.

:cry

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I missed seeing those ppp #s. What are they?

points per 100 possessions or offensive efficiency, or offensive rating. You can find them at basketball-reference.org for previous seasons http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2010.html

That shows that 110 points per 100 possessions last year. (however while that was 9th in the league that year, 112.2 is good for first this year so the league average might be lower this year)

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Although, basketball-reference hasn't updated their stats, I think. ESPN and hoopdata both have the Spurs this year at about 110 points per 100 possessions, not 112.2 that basketball-reference.com has. I'd think ESPN and hoopdata are more up to date, so that means the numbers last year and this year are pretty much the same offensively.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Actually, in looking at these stats, there must be some discrepancy in how basketball-reference defines "offensive rating." ESPN has last year's spurs as 107.2 offensive efficiency, which is supposed to be defined the same way as basketball-refernce defines "offensive rating" but they say that last year's spurs were at 110...weird.

So my previous post is a bit wrong, the spurs are averaging 3 more points per 100 possessions than last year's squad, not exactly close to the same...

Solid D
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
The facts remain that the Spurs are attempting only 1 FG (.97) more per game than last season, yet their efficiency and point production (+4.2) have both improved.

Blake
01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
you're kidding, right? The Spurs have 5 quality big men who could be starting for other teams.

5 bigs that will have matchup problems against the mavs' length.

that aside, name the 5 bigs and name the teams they could be starting for.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
yeah, my post before was a misunderstanding using basketball-reference's stats. The Spurs are getting to the line more often and turning the ball over less than last year's teams too, not just shooting a higher percentage...

EricD
01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
SOLID D BABY!

Nice takes my friend :toast

What do you think about the game tomorrow? What will it take to win in NY and stop the Felton--Amare pick and roll?

Solid D
yeah, my post before was a misunderstanding using basketball-reference's stats. The Spurs are getting to the line more often and turning the ball over less than last year's teams too, not just shooting a higher percentage...

True statements...not significantly so, but every little bit helps.
2009-10 FTA/Game TO/Game
SA Spurs........24.01...........13.61

2010-11 FTA/Game TO/Game
SA Spurs........24.88...........13.45

Cant_Be_Faded
Since the Spurs are getting an extra 2 points from their 3-Pt accuracy and an extra 1.5 points from their FT shooting...I say Chip Engelland deserves a raise. Since TP, Manu, George and DeJuan are all averaging more than a steal/game, whoever is influencing the active hands and passing lane awareness deserves a raise, also. As I said before, this is where the extra 4 ppg are coming from.

pow pow
I have been meaning to start a thread or poll asking if people believe the improved shooting we are seeing is mostly due to Chip working with this team for as long as he has. I think this is the case. I wish the media in SA would ask pop or chip himself on the matter.

Solid D
01-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Another obvious caveat to be repeated. 33 games is only a slice.

EricD
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
33 games is only a slice.

True that my neighbor, but it could be a very indicative for what's to come as well. :hat

Solid D
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
SOLID D BABY!

Nice takes my friend :toast

What do you think about the game tomorrow? What will it take to win in NY and stop the Felton--Amare pick and roll?

This should be a high-scoring game, by all rights. Lots of early offense.

In order to stop the screen/roll with Amare, the Spurs will mix it up, varying the looks, using Hill a little more on Felton, and switching the screens while bringing help for Hill from the weakside. Another look would be for Parker or Hill to play over the top of Amare's screens and force Felton baseline while dropping everyone else (to the lane's edges).

Amare usually does well, but then again, so does Timmy in this matchup. If the Spurs don't have energy to close out to the perimeter shooters, the Knicks will eat that up. They shoot well from the arc.

awktalk
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM

5 bigs that will have matchup problems against the mavs' length.

that aside, name the 5 bigs and name the teams they could be starting for.

Duncan: Spurs
Blair: Spurs
McDyess: Toronto
Bonner: Golden State
Splitter: Toros (maybe)

Blackjack
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Solid with the goods, and some quality takes overall. :tu

I'm not a huge stat guy, but I found this to be a somewhat interesting:

The Spurs have an SRS (takes into account point differential and strength of schedule) of 8.77 to the Mavs 5.48, a difference of 3.29.

Now looking to the Eastern Conference's SRS leader, Miami, they have an 8.62 compared to the Celtics second place of 7.55, a 1.07 difference.

What stands out to me about that is, the Spurs and Mavs have played 23 and 19 games against the West respectively, the Spurs going 20-3 to Dallas' 15-4 -- the teams also happen to boast the 2 best records against .500+ teams, SA at 15-3 to the Mavs 15-4.

Conversely, Boston and Miami have played 25 and 20 games against the East respectively, the Celtics posting a 21-4 to the Heat's 16-4.

In conjunction with what Bruno astutely pointed out:

When you look at these stats, the 4 best defensive teams are in the eastern conference. At the same time 8 of the 10 best offensive teams are in the western conference.

So:
Are EC teams better defensively or are they just facing weak offensive teams in their conference?

It's likely a little of the both but WC teams are 102-78 this year against EC teams. It could lead to think that a huge reason why these EC teams have such good defensive stats is the low level of their conference.

When you compare Spurs defensive stats only to WC teams, they look way better.

One can't help but come away more and more impressed, even if the unchartered territory this team is navigating tends to allow for skepticism.

Considering the expectations and state of the Spurs entering the year and given the fact that this team has still yet to see its individual talent completely fulfilled or come to fruition, combined with the fact that the team isn't running their players into the ground in an effort to rack up wins, ain't nothing to be uneasy about.

This team will or won't get it done, it's as simple as that -- and there's nothing foreboding or ominous on the horizon because of anything that's transpired thus far.

Enjoy the ride.

Solid D
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
The scariest teams to me at this point in the season are Miami and Orlando. Orlando has a perimeter that is just as scary as the Spurs, in many ways, and radiating around a dominant Center.

Spurs Brazil
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
:tu this thread

Phenomanul
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
My only concern is still the continued health of the Spurs...

Mentally... they have it; and neither Pop, Ginobili or Duncan will allow the team to take a mental slump of epic proportions...

Depth... they have that too... especially with Anderson coming back. The young core seems to be teeming with confidence. And the right mixture of dependable savvy veterans (McDyess, Quinn, and Jefferson) is a luxury.

Chemistry and Experience... the league doesn't have a more experienced core than that of Duncan-Ginobili-Parker-Popovich. And both Parker and Ginobili are playing lights out as playmakers...

Clutchness... Ginobili-Duncan... others like Jefferson and Neal (so far) have joined the ranks...

The plus side of reaching 70 wins [not going to happen with Pop at the helm] and not having to overwork the big-3 to attain such a feat is that it may finally cement the greatness of Tim Duncan in such a convincing manner that the naysayers won't have an out. IF, of course the season culminates with another Larry O'Brien.

mazerrackham
01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Lots of good info in this thread. Good points, Blackjack, and I gotta agree with your sentiments to enjoy the ride :toast

TD 21
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Why do so many think it's necessary to apologize for the good fortune the Spurs have had this season? I don't see the Lakers apologizing for their good fortune, which is unprecedented in the history of professional sports. Yet every time things are going well for this team, people are looking for a reason not to buy in.

Not only was their record and point differential excellent in 2010 and not only did they steadily improve throughout the year, but they were excellent against good - elite teams. So that begs the question: What will it take to get people to buy in?

I've given the Lakers the benefit of the doubt for the longest time and I'm not going to be a fool and dismiss them at any point (short of a significant injury), but at this point the Spurs should be regarded as co-favorites. They're 7 games better in the loss column, even though the Lakers have played one of the easiest schedules in the league. On top of that, what the Lakers are going through can no longer be termed as a typical slump or health related. This is no longer the same team anymore, it's obvious. Their air of invincibility is gone. You'd have to be in denial or flat out delusional to term it as boredom related (funny how people always give them that, but rarely gave the Spurs that when they were on top). Their antennas were clearly up against the Spurs and they were still beaten handily.

If the Spurs were the Lakers and the Lakers were the Spurs, weeks ago people would proclaimed the Lakers the favorites. In '08, they did it almost instantly after they acquired Gasol.

Brazil
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
This should be a high-scoring game, by all rights. Lots of early offense.

In order to stop the screen/roll with Amare, the Spurs will mix it up, varying the looks, using Hill a little more on Felton, and switching the screens while bringing help for Hill from the weakside. Another look would be for Parker or Hill to play over the top of Amare's screens and force Felton baseline while dropping everyone else (to the lane's edges).

Amare usually does well, but then again, so does Timmy in this matchup. If the Spurs don't have energy to close out to the perimeter shooters, the Knicks will eat that up. They shoot well from the arc.

BTW Danilo will be out for the game (apparently 2 to 3 weeks due sprained ankle I think) which will ease the spurs work a litle to defend the 3s especially from a tall guy like Danilo.

TampaDude
01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Spurs will get :lobt2: #5 this year. Book it. Done deal.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I'll add my opinion to CBFs thread. The reason this team mystifies so many people is that the Spurs are still getting 50 ppg from their 3 core players. Their new players, Neal, Splitter and Anderson have made their contributions but only Neal has played significant minutes. Why is this year's team so much better?

I would submit that it is because of the little things like FT improvement, 3-PT shooting accuracy, turnover differential and their 3rd and 4th quarter execution.

People talk about the high-octane offense the Spurs have this season, but the Spurs are only taking 1 more shot/game (82.18) than last season (81.21). They are only making 0.32 more FG/game.

2009-10 FGM 38.41 FGA 81.21
2010-11 FGM 38.73 FGA 82.18

So why are the Spurs averaging 105.6 ppg versus last season's 101.4?
The answer is:
1. FTs - The Spurs near the top 10 in FT accuracy? Really? The Spurs are answering the age-old question: How good could the Spurs be if they would just make their FTs? Last season, the Spurs shot .740 from the charity stripe averaging 17.78 makes/game. So far in 2010-11, San Antonio is shooting .773, 19.24 FTM/game. That's an additional 1 1/2 ppg this season.

2. 3-Pt Accuracy - At this writing, the Spurs are averaging .400 from the arc. That is .042 better than last season (.358). That equates to 2 more 3s made/game. That adds 2 points/game to the old scoring average.

3. Creating turnovers and TO +/- - When was the last time we have seen the Spurs lead the league in TO differential? The Spurs are averaging 8.46 steals/game...almost 2 more steals/game than 2009-10 and they rank 1st in TO +/- at +1.82. Those steals are often resulting in fouls and easier scoring chances.

4. 2nd half efficiency - the Spurs are winning close games. We all see that. Games like PHX, Houston, Charlotte, Minnesota a couple of times, Denver, Orlando...and who can forget the win against Chicago and the 2nd half turn-around in that one? Part of that difference, I would contend, is defensive execution. The Spurs seem to be trapping more (and better) than last year, in order to make up for their size limitations. RJ is staying with his assigment much, much better. Sometimes, Richard looks like he is employing some of Bruce Bowens' techniques in playing over the screen while keeping a hand in contact with his opponent. George has shown similar defensive acuity. The defensive trust as a team is at a level unseen since 2007. When the Spurs can trap their way to wins with smaller lineups, extra effort and trust, that is a dfference maker.

So there you have it. Sometimes, it's the little things that make a difference.

Excellent post. Thanks. :tu

Responding to CBF, personally I m not worried about this team at all. Unlike last year's injury-disjointed, incomplete squad, this year's team has depth, flexibility, and above all, elite-level chemistry.

Last year the team would go through long scoring droughts every game (particularly 3rd Qs IIRC) and failed to show that they were capable of the lift in intensity demonstrated by truly elite teams. This year, the team has already shown multiple times that they have a 4th and 5th gear, and I have a feeling they'll develop a 6th as the year goes on. They are nowhere near their ceiling yet, and have a lot of room for improvement at the defensive end particularly.

A healthy Big 3, an extra year of seasoning for players like Grizzly and George, and some nice role player additions, has made a huge difference to the team this year, and I'm failing to see why they'd go downhill from here for any other reason than serious injuries.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, I say. ;)

PS Sign up here: https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/event/SportID/14/CompetitionPID/26886/RoundPID/433/EventID/1301965/MenuLevel/C
and you can get 12-1 on the Spurs winning the trophy! Don't these guys actually follow the NBA!? We're no lock, but we're a lot shorter than a 12-1 shot!

Blake
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
The scariest teams to me at this point in the season are Miami and Orlando. Orlando has a perimeter that is just as scary as the Spurs, in many ways, and radiating around a dominant Center.

Luckily for the Spurs, if they get that far in the playoffs, they'd only have to play one of those two.

Blake
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
The plus side of reaching 70 wins [not going to happen with Pop at the helm] and not having to overwork the big-3 to attain such a feat is that it may finally cement the greatness of Tim Duncan in such a convincing manner that the naysayers won't have an out. IF, of course the season culminates with another Larry O'Brien.

what naysayers? what is the "out" they currently use to naysay?

you think Tim would finally be cemented in greatness being a complimentary piece on this year's team?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Agree with many posts here about why the Spurs are better. I think one of the overlooked items is defensive rebounding. The Spurs have improved as a team in this category since the last two seasons. Back then, they would lock down the perimeter shots but only to leave an easy uncontested rebound in the hands of an opponent. That's really frustrating, to play great D only to give an easy basket after the missed shot.

Now, they hardly give those, and if they do, it's not an easy look, even when they use a zone. Everyone is doing their share in boxing out and helping in rebounds. Guys like Neal or Hill have had more than a few games near double figures in this category. The team has found improved replacements for Bogans, Mason, Finley, etc, but not exclusively in scoring.

Anyway, back to the OP point. I think it's to early to tell. It's a very long season, many things can happen. Hopefully they stay healthy, keep improving on D and Tiago and Anderson can get into the mix.

100%duncan
01-03-2011, 11:31 PM
One thing that helps also is that there wasn't a lot of significant roster changes from last year's team. And only 3 of the new additions are playing or will have to play significant minutes to help us. That helps a lot with the chemistry that we've seen so far. Outside of garbage time, they have really looked more comfortable with each other this year.

mazerrackham
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Agree with many posts here about why the Spurs are better. I think one of the overlooked items is defensive rebounding. The Spurs have improved as a team in this category since the last two seasons. Back then, they would lock down the perimeter shots but only to leave an easy uncontested rebound in the hands of an opponent. That's really frustrating, to play great D only to give an easy basket after the missed shot.

Now, they hardly give those, and if they do, it's not an easy look, even when they use a zone. Everyone is doing their share in boxing out and helping in rebounds. Guys like Neal or Hill have had more than a few games near double figures in this category. The team has found improved replacements for Bogans, Mason, Finley, etc, but not exclusively in scoring.

Anyway, back to the OP point. I think it's to early to tell. It's a very long season, many things can happen. Hopefully they stay healthy, keep improving on D and Tiago and Anderson can get into the mix.

The Spurs have actually regressed in defensive rebounding since last year, but that's simply because they're pushing the break at more opportunities...