PDA

View Full Version : How does the playoff seeding work?

Vito Corleone
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm curious how the seeding works now. Back in the good ol days when there was two divisions the top two seeds regardless of record were the division winners. Now we have 3 divisions but I'm not sure now if they still go by division winners or is the seeding all on the record now?

If the division winners get the top 3 seeds then that means that Dallas would end up as the 4th seed as of right now. Which of course means we would haver to play both Dallas and LA.

Mel_13
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Crushing that the link has to feature that picture.

Mel_13
01-03-2011, 12:08 PM

:lol

Didn't notice the picture. Sorry.

pookenstein
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Disgusting. Fucking Dirk.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm curious how the seeding works now. Back in the good ol days when there was two divisions the top two seeds regardless of record were the division winners. Now we have 3 divisions but I'm not sure now if they still go by division winners or is the seeding all on the record now?

If the division winners get the top 3 seeds then that means that Dallas would end up as the 4th seed as of right now. Which of course means we would haver to play both Dallas and LA.

The Spurs will play the Eastern Conference Champion.

D-rob fan
01-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that too. It's almost certain that we play the mavs in the second round unless the mavs drop significantly without butler or we drop to #2 somehow.

Edit: NVM, I was still thinking by the old rules. I forgot they changed the rules after 2006.

bus driver
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM

like the way you think.....:toast
this is the kind of people i like on the bus :flag:

YoMamaIsCallin
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
In a nutshell, the three division winners are each guaranteed one of the top 4 seeds, along with the team with the best record who is not a division winner. These 4 teams are seeded by their records. This system guarantees that the two teams with the best records are seeded 1 and 2 regardless of divisions.

Also, in any playoff matchup, HCA is determined by record, not by seed.

ChuckD
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
In a nutshell, the three division winners are each guaranteed one of the top 4 seeds, along with the team with the best record who is not a division winner. These 4 teams are seeded by their records. This system guarantees that the two teams with the best records are seeded 1 and 2 regardless of divisions.

Also, in any playoff matchup, HCA is determined by record, not by seed.

What's interesting is that you are only guaranteed a seed/matchup, and NOT HCA. The abortion that was 2006 produced both a second best record 4 seed and a seventh best record 3 seed. Denver won their division with a sub-50 win season, matched up with the LAC as the 6th seed, but the LAC had HCA

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 11:58 PM

damn

NRHector
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM

:lol nicely done

spurs10
01-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Still don't see the foul. Tim got hammered and got a no-call aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!:bang

ezau
01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Lol Mavs