PDA

View Full Version : The other potential Spurs big who was in camp

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/statistics/

Marcus Cousin is seemingly playing well just based on stats, and looked at times ok in the Spurs pre-season.

Pop also had good things to say about him when he was assigned there:

Coach Pop ... telling the media, “He’s a really tough kid who rebounds well, shoots the ball well, we just have enough 5′s.”

“He did a really good job”

Read more: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/austin-toros-returning-allocated-players-d-league-draft#ixzz1A0JCRqJr

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/austin-toros-returning-allocated-players-d-league-draft

Anyone seen any of their games and do the Spurs definetely still hold his rights? (It would seem if, any of the 5 bigs on the Spurs went down for even a short time they would need to plug a hole and he would at least know some of the Spurs system).

SenorSpur
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
By coincidence, I ran into young Marcus Cousin in my local fitness center over the holidays. I saw this young, tall kid with Spurs practice gear on and knew he was either a college wannabe or D-Leaguer. Despite having watched him here when, a month or so before when they played the local D-League affiliate (Frisco Legends), I didn't recognize him right away.

At the conclusion of my workout, I stopped over realized it was indeed him. I struck up a conversation with him. As a coincidence, I happened to be sporting a Spurs sweatshirt myself. He was a very nice kid and seemed humbled that someone recognized him. He indicated to me that had the Spurs elected NOT to reduce roster spots, that he figured he was a good bet to make the team.

Cousin went onto say that he's hopeful that the Spurs, or some other team for that matter, will call him up before season's end. I complimented him on his game and indicated that I'd sure like to see him get called up. I told him that the Spurs could probably use him next year for sure, as Dice would be retired. He seemed surprised to find out that Dice was scheduled to retire.

I went onto to ask him how his game was progressing, about the other D-League competition, and their travel schedule. I kidded him about that horrendous blowout that the Toros were given at the hands of the Frisco Legends. He laughed about that. From there, I wished him well for the remainder of the season and told him that I'd check them out again, whenever they come back to play the Mavs Jrs.

I hope the Spurs have him penciled into their future plans. He'd be a nice addition for next season.

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice story and he seems to be playing well and for the right price I would love to him brought up near the end of the year as insurance. Spurs need at least one more athletic and tall young big on the roster IMO.

tuncaboylu
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm not impressed with the stats of him in DL. 15 pts 8.5 rebs is not good enoguh to be a resident in NBA

crc21209
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
By coincidence, I ran into young Marcus Cousin in my local fitness center over the holidays. I saw this young, tall kid with Spurs practice gear on and knew he was either a college wannabe or D-Leaguer. Despite having watched him here when, a month or so before when they played the local D-League affiliate (Frisco Legends), I didn't recognize him right away.

At the conclusion of my workout, I stopped over realized it was indeed him. I struck up a conversation with him. As a coincidence, I happened to be sporting a Spurs sweatshirt myself. He was a very nice kid and seemed humbled that someone recognized him. He indicated to me that had the Spurs elected NOT to reduce roster spots, that he figured he was a good bet to make the team.

Cousin went onto say that he's hopeful that the Spurs, or some other team for that matter, will call him up before season's end. I complimented him on his game and indicated that I'd sure like to see him get called up. I told him that the Spurs could probably use him next year for sure, as Dice would be retired. He seemed surprised to find out that Dice was scheduled to retire.

I went onto to ask him how his game was progressing, about the other D-League competition, and their travel schedule. I kidded him about that horrendous blowout that the Toros were given at the hands of the Frisco Legends. He laughed about that. From there, I wished him well for the remainder of the season and told him that I'd check them out again, whenever they come back to play the Mavs Jrs.

I hope the Spurs have him penciled into their future plans. He'd be a nice addition for next season.

Wow...nice story. Thanks for sharing! :toast

yavozerb
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm not impressed with the stats of him in DL. 15 pts 8.5 rebs is not good enoguh to be a resident in NBA

If you are not impressed then there is no way the kid could make it...:rolleyes

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=PER48&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=1&splitType=9&splitScope=PER48&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

About 13 boards, 25 PPG and 1.9 blocks per 48 min - agree not world beating but he is better than anything else I know about in the Spurs system not on the roster and is only 25. Notably his efficiency is 4th overall among the centers down there and highest per 48 minutes!

Stats are not the end all of the D-league - if has any defensive potential and upside the Spurs ought to hold on to this guy IMO.

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
if the spurs were to call him up, he will get garbage minutes imo....

jimo2305
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM

just curious.. what's your local fitness center?

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=PER48&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=20&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=1&splitType=9&splitScope=PER48&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

About 13 boards, 25 PPG and 1.9 blocks per 48 min - agree not world beating but he is better than anything else I know about in the Spurs system not on the roster and is only 25. Notably his efficiency is 4th overall among the centers down there and highest per 48 minutes!

Stats are not the end all of the D-league - if has any defensive potential and upside the Spurs ought to hold on to this guy IMO.

thats it right there....guy who can rebound, block shots and defend...

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM

My point is that I would want to see how he does against the best of the D League and again against the Spurs in camp or in the summer league but I would hope the Spurs do hold onto him or go scouting in the to find a find like that Thunder center (Ibaka) with the incredible hops! Spurs need to be developing another center as Splitter/Blair should not be the only option for the years ahead IMO (although both will be a part of the puzzle).

Ocotillo
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't forget Ryan Richards.

yavozerb
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Nobody knows anything about Richards at this point. If Richards can be an NBA player that would be great but at this time I would not put any stock into him since he has very little experience and is coming back from surgery.

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Nobody knows anything about Richards at this point. If Richards can be an NBA player that would be great but at this time I would not put any stock into him since he has very little experience and is coming back from surgery.

how old is richards?

Ocotillo
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
19 or 20, he is unknown at this time but is in the pipeline.

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
http://icemen.fantake.com/2010/06/28/ryan-richards-international-man-of-mystery/

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ryan-richards

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ESP&PlayerID=108813&AmNotSure=1

Interesting had honestly forgot about him after his injury to his shoulder. Sadly, it looks like he is injury prone: http://www.hoopsfix.com/2010/11/richards-to-undergo-a-second-shoulder-operation/

Per one of the stories above he is only about 20 so he has time to develop and grow even bigger!

SenorSpur
01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
just curious.. what's your local fitness center?

24 hour fitness.

Oh, one last thing on my encounter with Cousin. It would appear that he's hungry. He got a taste of the perks and prestige of being part of the big club. Things like flying first class as opposed to coach, and going up against a legend like Timmy D, in practice. His eyes light up and he smiled brightly when he mentioned those two aspects of his short preseason stint.

jimo2305
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
24 hour fitness.
oh haha.. for a sec i was thinking this was in san antonio... it's austin duhh.. :lol

i was a member there as well before i moved to san antonio.. had to stop membership because there was no locations here

Cessation
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM

cool story bro

SenorSpur
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
oh haha.. for a sec i was thinking this was in san antonio... it's austin duhh.. :lol

i was a member there as well before i moved to san antonio.. had to stop membership because there was no locations here

No. He was actually here in the Dallas suburb of Little Elm. I asked him what he was doing up here? He stated that he was on a short Christmas break and was visiting his family in the area for a few days.

jjktkk
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks for posting Senor. Good read. I liked what I saw out of Cousin this past Summer and preseason, and I too want Cousins to be a Spur.

8FOR!3
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I think there's a chance we bring him in next year. Ryan Richards is still very young and I think Pop plans on storing him for a while. Maybe not, but that's how I see it. Cousin could come in and take over Dice's spot on the roster. Different role, but he'd give us 5 bigs like we have right now. But who knows what's going to happen, there's free agency and a draft who will probably give us a player. As of right now, I would give the 5th big spot to either Richards, Cousin, or a free agent and I'd draft a guy to play backup SF. I'm aware that James Anderson can do it, so drafting another SG wouldn't be terrible, but I think we need one more guy (SG or SF) depending on which position Anderson will play throughout his career .

jjktkk
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm just kinda curious why Cousins wasn't drafted? Don't know much about his collegiate career.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Cooze looked pretty good against OKC's rookie center Cole Aldrich in a couple of games. He still has no post game to speak of but showed some nice range on his jumper out to 18 feet that I hadn't seen before. He performs better against more traditional lineups; many of the smaller lineups run in the D-League get him into foul trouble. I still believe he is likely the first traditional big man to be called up this season.

The Toros are a bit of a mess right now because no perimeter player outside of Squeaky Johnson plays with any consistency. Dominique Archie is showing signs of life, but I still don't expect much from him in what is really a rehab season. They have been trying to play Lance Thomas at the three for some stretches after starting him at power forward, but the results have been mixed. Perimeter defense is killing them more than anything; as games go on it gets worse and they give up many open three pointers.

I expect they will shake up the roster sometime soon. Anyone outside of Cousin and Johnson should be in play.

Russ
01-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Forget Ryan Richards.

Darkwaters
01-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Cousin might be a candidate to be signed in March for the remainder of the year and carried through training camp (a la Jerrells, Temple and Gee). If the Spurs are going to pick up anybody in this capacity, a big is the way to go (especially considering the quality of bigs in the upcoming draft and McDyess' looming retirement).

SenorSpur
01-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Cooze looked pretty good against OKC's rookie center Cole Aldrich in a couple of games. He still has no post game to speak of but showed some nice range on his jumper out to 18 feet that I hadn't seen before. He performs better against more traditional lineups; many of the smaller lineups run in the D-League get him into foul trouble. I still believe he is likely the first traditional big man to be called up this season.

The Toros are a bit of a mess right now because no perimeter player outside of Squeaky Johnson plays with any consistency. Dominique Archie is showing signs of life, but I still don't expect much from him in what is really a rehab season. They have been trying to play Lance Thomas at the three for some stretches after starting him at power forward, but the results have been mixed. Perimeter defense is killing them more than anything; as games go on it gets worse and they give up many open three pointers.

I expect they will shake up the roster sometime soon. Anyone outside of Cousin and Johnson should be in play.

I happened to see him a month or so ago when he Toros made their first trip to Dallas to play the Legends. While he's obviously still a raw player, and one who is still foul-prone as you mentioned, he did show a penchant for setting up on the block and rolling across the lane for a variety of hook shots and even some face up jumpers. He showed a nice touch on his shot.

I agree that he needs to work on post moves, some counter post moves and even his footwork.

I liked the fact that he seemed comfortable on the block and looked to score in a variety of ways. He also looks to defend and block shots. I can only imagine how good he would be if he had the benefit of the full-time coaching by Pop and his staff.

tuncaboylu
01-04-2011, 02:43 AM
If you are not impressed then there is no way the kid could make it...:rolleyes
Maybe he can shame me :lol

I've interested in NBDL last 2 years and Courtney Sims was a real beast there. But he couldn't show too much in NBA.

I'd like to see Cousin in Spurs uniform instead of retiring McDyess next year, but as i said he should be at least 24 pts-12 rebs(not per 48 mins of course) player in NBDL to prove something.

Because he didn't prove anything in his college career, didn't drafted as a result and he is 24 years old. That's why I don't have high expectations for him.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marcus-cousin