PDA

View Full Version : From today's WSJ: Wins but no rings

toki9
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704735304576057922151015078.html

Wins but No Rings

Here are the teams that have had the best record over a 10-year stretch in their respective leagues without winning a championship.

LEAGUE TEAM, YEARS (RECORD) PCT

NFL Oakland Raiders, 1966-75 (103-29-8) 0.776
NBA Dallas Mavericks, 2001/02-2010/11 (534-236) *0.694
NHL Philadelphia Flyers, 1975/76-1984/85 (457-210-133) 0.654
MLB Brooklyn Dodgers, 1945-54 (937-607) 0.607

Source: Stats Inc. *Through Saturday

------

The Mavs' Seasons of Disappointment

For the past decade, the Dallas Mavericks have fallen into an unfortunate annual routine. They post a strong regular-season record, enter the playoffs with hype and expectations—and promptly break fans' hearts by bowing out early. The epitome of "close, but no cigar."

It turns out Dallas's recent trend of regular-season excellence and postseason futility is historic.

The Mavericks have had the best-ever 10-year stretch in the NBA without winning a championship. Through Saturday, they had gone 534-236 (.694) in the regular season since 2001-02. During that stretch, they earned a top-four seed in the Western Conference playoffs six times and won at least 60 games three times, but they reached the finals just once—losing to Miami in 2006. They have fallen in the first round in three of the past four seasons.

The Mavericks are rivaled in springtime disappointment by the Jazz of the 1990s: Utah went 542-246 (.688) from 1989-90 through 1998-99 and from 1990-91 through 1999-00. In some ways, both teams can blame Phil Jackson. Utah reached the finals in 1997 and '98, only to lose to Mr. Jackson's Bulls. Mr. Jackson went on to coach the Lakers, which won three titles during the Mavs' stretch and reached the finals five times.

But, citizens of Dallas, it could always be worse. The Oakland Raiders went 103-29-8 (.776) from 1966-75 without winning the Super Bowl, marking the best—or worst?—stretch in the history of the four major sports.

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
by reading the thread title, i knew this was about the mavs....

Giuseppe
01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
...true. If it'd a been "Wins but no repeat" then you'd be to home.

tee, hee.

4>0rings
01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
So when is Dallas going to raise the "Teams That Have Had the Best Record Over a 10-Year Stretch in Their Respective Leagues Without Winning a Championship" banner?

BUMP.
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
So when is Dallas going to raise the "Teams That Have Had the Best Record Over a 10-Year Stretch in Their Respective Leagues Without Winning a Championship" banner?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:r ollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Rummpd
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
honestly, as much as I hate Jason Terry, Cuban and Kidd = for Dirk and the rest of the Mavs and their loyal fanbase = if the Spurs do not win it just as soon the Mavs win as any of the boorish Heat/LAL/Celtics trio.

Darrin
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I remember when the same thing used to be said about the Spurs. All they have to do is tank a season, get the best big man of a generation, and they can send Dirk into retirement with 2 rings.

cheguevara
01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
can the mavs possibly tank the rest of the season to get a good 1st round pick?

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM

i thought lakers are doing that.....

Shank
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
What is the Spurfans' obsession with the Mavericks? It's bizarre.

ohmwrecker
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
What is the Spurfans' obsession with the Mavericks? It's bizarre.

I don't get it either tbh.

Edit: I mean I hate the Mavs and their fans, don't get me wrong, but starting a thread about it . . . wtf?

midnightpulp
01-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Lol at two of my teams making this list.

WeNeedLength
01-03-2011, 11:54 PM
What's the point of this list? Really, just to poke fun at how much other teams choke? Oh right, that's what it's for. I guess I'll just LOL then and move on. LOL

WildcardManu
01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Only reason I don't want the Mavs to win is Terry/Cuban but if they would win it all I wouldn't mind because of Dirk because he deserves one.

Jacob1983
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
What's up with the Mavs hate? I don't get it. I can understand the hatred for teams like the Yankees, Lakers, and Celtics but hey that's just me. Would you rather have your team go to the playoffs every year over a long period of time but win a championship or would you rather have your team have a long playoff drought like 10 or 20 seasons?

ohmwrecker
01-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Is that a rhetorical question?

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
What's up with the Mavs hate? I don't get it. I can understand the hatred for teams like the Yankees, Lakers, and Celtics but hey that's just me. Would you rather have your team go to the playoffs every year over a long period of time but win a championship or would you rather have your team have a long playoff drought like 10 or 20 seasons?

Uhhhh I like the Spurs, therefore LOL at the Mavs. I think that should answer your question. See avatar for clarification.

BUMP
01-04-2011, 12:44 AM

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 12:49 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Jollyblue/LOLMAVS.jpg

kamikazi_player
01-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I knew there was going to be some butthurt in this thread.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Hatred really runs deep between these two fan bases.
Now I don't hate any fan or Spurs player, I respect the hell out of em
But you can tell between a few posters from each side that they flat out hate each other

Times when posters make "LOL" threads about an injury or everytime one loses is a bit excessive. I can't stand when the Mavs lose and you log on to Spurstalk you see an LOL thread, same when SA loses some dumb Mavs fan makes a similiar thread.
I mean come on people teams are gonna lose during the regular season many times,no need to make fun everytime that happens.

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Hatred really runs deep between these two fan bases.
Now I don't hate any fan or Spurs player, I respect the hell out of em
But you can tell between a few posters from each side that they flat out hate each other

Times when posters make "LOL" threads about an injury or everytime one loses is a bit excessive. I can't stand when the Mavs lose and you log on to Spurstalk you see an LOL thread, same when SA loses some dumb Mavs fan makes a similiar thread.
I mean come on people teams are gonna lose during the regular season many times,no need to make fun everytime that happens.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Jollyblue/KobeNotSureIfSerious.jpg

Sorry just had to bust it out. :lmao

It is true though, injuries should never be celebrated. Unless it is to Jason Terry, fuck him. :lol

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-04-2011, 01:08 AM

It is true though, injuries should never be celebrated. Unless it is to Jason Terry, fuck him. :lol

Understandable I felt the same way about Bowen

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Understandable I felt the same way about Bowen

I honestly hate any injuries at all. You always want to beat a team at full strength so you know you beat the best. That's why when Dirk went down I was like shit, a Spurs win means jackshit now. Another playoffs match-up may be in the works. Hope Butler isn't out for the season, that would be a big blow as he was playing his best ball of the season whether he was going to be traded or not. Good luck the rest of the way classy Mavs fan :toast

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Good luck to you the rest of the way as well.

jjktkk
01-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Like your sig pic. Looks like even Kobe's wife is telling Kobe to pass the fucking ball.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-04-2011, 03:38 AM
...true. If it'd a been "Wins but no repeat" then you'd be to home.

tee, hee.

Bringing back a retired comeback for lack of any new ones. That moves you a notch down.

Giuseppe
01-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Still & all, you're bereft of repeating.

BUMP
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Bringing back a retired comeback for lack of any new ones. That moves you a notch down.

What irony.

Venti Quattro
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM

The Spurs can advise the Mavs on how to do that. Tee, hee.

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
The Spurs can advise the Mavs on how to do that. Tee, hee.

Hey, can't argue with the results. :lol