PDA

View Full Version : Shaq not the only Heat player battling health woes

ducks
05-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Shaq not the only Heat player battling health woes
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
May 28, 2005

MIAMI (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal isn't the only Miami Heat player with injury concerns.

While O'Neal's bruised right thigh has been a source of daily concern for several weeks, he's just one of many Heat players spending as much -- or perhaps more -- time in the training room than on the practice floor.

Three starters -- O'Neal, Damon Jones and Udonis Haslem -- and reserve forward Christian Laettner all were unable to practice Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
Miami coach Stan Van Gundy said he expects everyone on the playoff roster to be available Sunday night, when the Heat visit Detroit for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals.

``We've been all season with guys out of practice and in and out of the lineup,'' guard Dwyane Wade said. ``We want guys to get healthy, so we don't worry about it. As long as they're watching and getting mentally prepared for the next game, that's what matters.''

O'Neal's thigh limits his mobility, although he has averaged 33 minutes, 18.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in the series. Jones has an injured heel that won't get significantly better until the offseason. Haslem has a dislocated finger on his left hand and Laettner has battled foot problems for much of the season.

``I can't get enough rest for it to heal 100 percent,'' Jones said after doing some shooting following Friday's workout. ``The time I do have off, I use it wisely, get a lot of treatment and get ready to go out when the ball is thrown in the air. ... After the season is over, then I'll go about taking care of my injury.''

And even though they're banged up, the injured Heat players have come through with some solid numbers so far in these playoffs.

Jones had a big bounceback effort in Game 2 against Detroit, shooting 5-for-7 from the field, 2-for-3 from 3-point range and finishing with 14 points, seven rebounds, four assists and one turnover in 32 minutes.

Haslem had seven rebounds in 25 minutes and Laettner -- who drew Van Gundy's wrath after Game 1 -- got plenty of praise after four points, three rebounds and some solid defense in Game 2.

``More of anything, it's a mental thing for me,'' said Haslem, who dislocated the finger in practice before Game 1 against Detroit. ``Every time I catch a pass, get a rebound, go up and shoot, anything that includes using my left hand, it gives me pain. Somehow, someway, it's got to be blocked out. I've got to play.''