PDA

View Full Version : Internships with the Spurs

ashbeeigh
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
These are for next season...

Public and Government Affairs Intership - Spurs Sports and Entertainment (San Antonio, TX)

GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:

This position is identified for a current student pursuing a degree in Communications or Political Science and is currently enrolled in a college graduate or undergraduate program. The paid internship offers flexible hours and a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the area of government relations, public affairs & strategic corporate development. Pay: $7.25/hr, Hours/Week: 20hrs/week

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS (KCAs): (include but not limited to)

1. Assisting with events & activities including elected & appointed officials, i.e. coordinating meetings & presentations, responding to ticket & appearance requests and managing gifts.
2. Assist in coordinating selected community non-profit special events and fundraisers.
3. Provide special project support and assistance to fellow co-workers, executives and directors as needed.
4. Assist with various department projects.

CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:

• Have a flexible schedule with the ability to work nights and weekends.
• Internship must be related to major or current course of study
• Reliable transportation
• Have excellent written, verbal and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point)
• Be dependable and detailed oriented
• Self-starter, highly motivated individual
• Ability to work with all types of people
• Ability to adapt to changing projects
• Must be able to work a minimum 20 hours a week

Internships are paid positions (minimum wage), but are not guarantees of employment once the internship is completed. Internships last approximately one school semester based on successful completion of duties and fulfillment of all responsibilities.

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Are you a Communications or Political Science degree major?

2. Do you have experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point?

3. Do you have excellent time management and project management skills?

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=spurs#33150

Community Responsibility Internships - Spurs Sports and Entertainment (San Antonio, TX)

POSITION: Community Responsibility Internship
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
REPORTS TO: Assigned Senior Community Responsibility Employee
CAPSULE POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under general direction of our Community Responsibiltiy Staff, the interns are responsible for assisting with general administrative duties, education programs, donation requests, ticket distributions, and event or fundraising support. This internship provides an experience in community relations, event planning, fundraising, volunteerism, administration, organization, and non-profit business management.

Dates of Internship: August 2011 – April 2012 (NBA REGULAR SEASON & MAY BE EXTENDED UNTIL JUNE 30TH.)
Pay: $7.25/hr
Hours: Range of 20-40 hrs/week

Internships Available: 3

This position requires the intern to have a flexible schedule, good communication, computer, organizational and interpersonal skills as well as be detail and multi-task oriented.

The incumbent in this position is expected to model the following practices on a daily basis:
1) Demonstrated alignment with the company's mission and core business values;
2) Collaboration with key internal/external resources
3) Ongoing self development

KRA'S (Key Responsibility Areas):
General Administrative Duties
• Filing, photocopying, faxing, and inventorying supplies, able to lift 30 pounds
• Assist with mail-outs
• Database work in Excel, Access; Archtics is a plus.
• Assist with various department projects

Donation Requests
• Respond to donation requests as well as solicit donations on behalf of Silver & Black Give Back
• Database maintenance (as well as being able to merge letters and labels)
• Answer phones and respond to inquiries
• Assist with ticket distribution & tracking for all franchises
• Update mailing lists of auction item solicitations
• Assist with pick up of auction items (must have reliable transportation)
• Assist & organize NBA team jersey trades for auction use

Education Programs
• Manage incentive fulfillment for programs
• Communicate with teachers, parents, and students regarding programs
• Assist with community events

Silver & Black Give Back Fundraisers
• Submit all internal materials for in-arena fundraising promotions
• Work some game nights including weekends
• Assist with merchandise sales such as raffles or annual Spurs calendars
• Support the maintenance of online programming such as registrations, auctions, merchandise or the like.
• Maintain the inventory of SBGB specialty items from internal departments

Minimum Qualifications for position and INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
• Must be a college Junior, Senior, enrolled in a Master’s program or recent college grad to apply
• Have excellent written, verbal and communication skills
• Be dependable and detail-oriented
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and work independently with limited supervision
• Work in a fast-paced environment
• Computer experience in Microsoft Office programs including Access and Excel; Archtics knowledge a plus
• Previous professional experience preferred
• MUST be able to start no later than September 1st

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Do you have a desire to work in the non-profit sector of sports entertainment?

2. Do you have experience with Microsoft Office programs, including Access and Excel?

3. Do you have experience with Archtics?

4. Are you a college Junior, Senior or enrolled in a Master's program?

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=spurs#33018

ashbeeigh
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Those all pay less than minimum wage. I know accounting interships that pay 20 an hour wtf? Spurs really are cheap.

Accounting is always going to pay more than non-profit.

That being said, I'm pretty sure all their internships are minimum wage. It's weighing the pros and cons of the internship. Getting a snazzy internship with an NBA team or just getting by with a so-so one at the SAMM shelter or AACOG? I'll take the Spurs. That's going to get your resume noticed no matter where you go. I read an article somewhere (I think CNN) that said a girl had something like 11 internships before landing a real job. So, you take what you can take.

ploto
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Those all pay less than minimum wage. I know accounting interships that pay 20 an hour wtf? Spurs really are cheap.

Actually, those look better than they used to be. It used to be you received $500 per month and they worked you about 40 hours per week with the games you had to work.

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
My brother took up one of these I believe a few years ago. The pay is shit and he didn't really learn much. Take it for what it's worth..

The Reckoning
01-04-2011, 05:06 AM
looks like alot of bitch work

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
7.25 hr? gtfo this aint the 90s, even a clown at the checkout maccas earn more then that

CosmicCowboy
01-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Assisting with events & activities including elected & appointed officials, i.e. coordinating meetings & presentations, responding to ticket & appearance requests and managing gifts.

I initially wondered why they wanted poly-sci majors.

They get to intern learning the fine art of bribery.

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Both those internships are actually in my field of study. But I think I'd be better off staying with HEB, working entry level at the arsenal in public affairs and going that route. Plus, I won't have to take a huge pay cut.

And since HEB is such a huge sponsor of the Spurs, I could probably make the jump that way a lot easier.

PakiDan
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I personally slaved away at one of these internships before being hired full time. This organization makes millions upon millions of dollars and pays it's employees shit. There are a select few that have been with the organization for years that get paid decently, the rest are a never ending revolving door of bright eyed twenty somethings more psyched with the allure of being able to run around the AT&T center with an all access pass around their neck then paying the rent. They last a few, the Holt brings in the next bunch. Spurs Internships are to white college students as Home Depot is to Mexican Migrant Workers. If you want a sports related internship of value and merit, look up Sportslink and the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on NBC.

ashbeeigh
01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I thought about the second one as it is non-profit and it would help me be a bit more marketable adding the development aspect to my resume, but I think the time constraints are just too much. Helping with half or so of the 40 games would be appropriate but not slaving away at all 40 games and then being in the office on top of it. Not with working full time and 6 hours of Grad School classes. That's not possible.

boutons_deux
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
"organization makes millions upon millions of dollars and pays it's employees shit"

interns, esp well qualified ones, are widely known to be exploited, worked as hard as full employees, but paid min wage or whatever.

With 22% mal/un/underemployed, and an even higher %age for the 20-30 age group, interns are especially vulnerable to exploitation.

Even MS got its exploitative contractor abuse shutdown, working contractors as hard and as long for years as employees, but without the employee benefits pkg.

If corps can fnck you, they will. Like all capitalism, employee-employer relationship is essentially adversarial, with the employer holding all the good cards. That's why the Repugs are dead set on bankrupting state/local govts, estimate are 1000 cities will declare bankruptcy, and busting the few remaining unions and annulling their pension plans.

alamo50
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
GUARANTEED PLAYOFF TICKETS!!!

And the pride of working in silver and black.

SpursWoman
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I interviewed several years ago for a senior level finance position. Trust me, they count on people being so in awe of being able to work for someone oh, so cool that they just have to count on it as compensation. Because what they offer is almost insulting.

I love the Spurs, but not for that big of a pay cut. :lol

Shelly
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
My friend's daughter was doing an intership with the season ticket holders, but she just got promoted over xmas to part time for some new VIP room they have for the the first 2 or 3 rows of season ticket holders and basically just has to mingle and make sure they have everything they need. Pay still isn't stellar, though!

ploto
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Person I know worked a whole season of 40+ hours per week for almost nothing and at the end was offered a job paying $8 per hour with a college degree.