PDA

View Full Version : 4. Which team is the most formidable threat to the Lakers in the West and why?

Man In Black
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Fool ass LAL Bandwagon told us that the Spurs were done. What up TOBEY?
:hat
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5984788

4. Which team is the most formidable threat to the Lakers in the West and why?

Adande: The Spurs. In addition to their trio of championship veterans they have a nice group of youthful players such as DeJuan Blair, George Hill and Gary Neal in the mix. The Lakers weren't that much better than the hobbling Spurs in 2008, and if the Spurs are healthy and hold home court this year they could end the Lakers' run.
Hollinger: San Antonio, because it'll have home court in a playoff matchup and the Lakers can't cover Tony Parker.

A. Kamenetzky: San Antonio. The Spurs have the best combination of talent, experience and coaching. They've also been remarkably fortunate on the injury front, which has allowed them to jell with everybody accounted for.

Markazi: If I have to pick one I'll go with the Spurs. San Antonio is 29-4 and clearly the class of the league at the moment and the Spurs are doing it with Tim Duncan playing just 28 minutes per game and essentially serving as the team's fourth option behind Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Richard Jefferson.

Ireland: In the West, San Antonio and Dallas could both knock the Lakers out. The Spurs have become younger and faster, and Dallas is playing the best team defense in the league right now. Both teams also take care of the ball, which the Lakers haven't been doing. If LA finishes as the third seed, it would have to beat both as the road team -- which would be a huge challenge.

B. Kamenetzky: San Antonio. The Spurs have great depth at multiple positions, veterans with championship experience, and are playing at a phenomenal level right now. Plus, it hasn't come at the expense of guys like Duncan, whose minutes are still being kept down.

Miller: The Spurs. They are healthy. They are playing like a young team with veterans; a lot of players are contributing on both sides of the ball. Richard Jefferson has been the X factor.

McMenamin: The Mavericks. They can match the Lakers' size with Tyson Chandler and Brendan Haywood and they have hungry veterans like Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry who realize this could be their last best shot at a ring.

Stein: Flip a coin. Provided that the Mavs can weather the loss of Caron Butler, Dallas has legit size to throw at the Lakers. San Antonio, meanwhile, is as hard to guard as the Spurs have ever been while still capable of the lockdown D of yesteryear ... as Kobe would tell you after last week's post-Christmas reunion. Both teams are far more dangerous than we thought back in October. A first-round series with Oklahoma City, as the teams were lined up as of Monday morning, wouldn't be much fun, either.

5. If you were forced to decide right now, will the Lakers win a third straight championship?

Adande: No. Usually championship teams show some indication of their worthiness by now. The Lakers haven't.
Hollinger: Unlikely. I'm sure they'll play better and can probably get back to the conference finals, but unlike the past three years they may not be favored once they get there ... let alone in the Finals.

A. Kamenetzky: Yes. There is enough time (albeit not enough to waste) to right the ship and when they are playing at their best I don't think this team needs home court to win it all.

Markazi: No and it's not just because of their current struggles. They'll right the ship at some point but I just don't think they'll go far in the playoffs as the No. 3 seed in the West behind San Antonio and Dallas. The Lakers haven't won a playoff series without home-court advantage since 2004 (remember how they fared against the Celtics in the 2008 NBA Finals without home court) and I'm not sure if they're strong enough to win a Game 7 on the road.

Ireland: I certainly think they are still among the favorites, but no longer at the top of the list. They haven't won a road playoff series since 2004, and the way they're playing now, they would have home court only in Round 1. Unless their position improves, my answer would be no. Having said that, I do think they have plenty of time to improve, and it's too early to panic.

B. Kamenetzky: I picked them to win, and it's too early to come off that prediction. But right now I think I'm going to be wrong. They simply haven't shown themselves to be the best team. Until they build to something better, I'll say no parade.

Miller: Yes, when you add up the coach, the roster and the experience, these factors beat youthfulness any day of the week.

McMenamin: Tough one, but yes. There is a lot of basketball to play between now and June.

Stein: Right now? The only reason I would say yes is because I picked them to win it all before the season started and feel it's morally wrong to change picks midstream. The biggest problem L.A. has, above everything else out there, is that the competition is so much tougher than anticipated. The Spurs are reborn and, to a degree, so are the Mavs with Tyson Chandler in the middle. Boston and Miami look as dangerous as feared and Orlando is a wild card no one quite knows how to peg after the Magic's big trades. Three-peats are tough enough, but this one is going to be way tougher than the Lakers thought because of the competition.

WeNeedLength
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice read. It's funny how it takes a historic start for the Spurs to get recognized. Here's a few picks from the preseason of threats to the Lakers. LOL at Blazers and Thunder. No one expected the Mavs and Spurs to kick ass but here we are...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5658157&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5658157

WildcardManu
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Mavs are still scarier than the Lakers right now.

TE
01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Mavs are still scarier than the Lakers right now.
I agree, for some damn reason, the Mavs always play their best ball against us, and vice versa, we give them everything we got.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Good read.
Insane how much hype we heard this offseason about the Thunder and the Blazers.
Not saying they won't be a tough out, but I feel both SA and Dallas are better

DJ Mbenga
01-04-2011, 01:50 AM
it still seems size bothers the spurs. i wonder if pop is gonna give up on splitter. would be a mistake cause they will need him. the 3 is what it is. they rely on it so they gotta live with the results .

Hoops Czar
01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Good read.
Insane how much hype we heard this offseason about the Thunder and the Blazers.
Not saying they won't be a tough out, but I feel both SA and Dallas are better

Yeah, its always a good read when they're not bitch slapping the Spurs. Otherwise, they wouldn't know what they are talking about.

phyzik
01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
it still seems size bothers the spurs. i wonder if pop is gonna give up on splitter. would be a mistake cause they will need him. the 3 is what it is. they rely on it so they gotta live with the results .

I call BS on the whole "Spurs live and die by the 3" hype machine. While they are shooting more 3's its not a central focus to our gameplan..... the reason why its highlighted is because of the % we have been hitting them at.

Examples of how overrated the Spurs 3pt attempts are.....

Over the first 33 games, Spurs have taken a total of 733 3pters.... that averages out to about 22 a game....

The Lakers on the otherhand, who are supposed to be this huge inside presence, have attempted 659 3pters over their first 34 games.... That averages out to about 19 a game.... again, for a team thats supposedly an inside dominant offense.

Dallas, the second best team in the west, record wise, have attempted 665 3pters over 33 games.... thats an average of 20 a game....

So, the Spurs are shooting a HUGE, WOPPING, GAUDY 2 or 3 more 3pters per game than the other 2 top teams in the west..... Damn, they are screwed if they dont hit those extra 2 or 3 attempts..... :depressed :lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
:lol "The Spurs are reborn"

I feel like we're some sort of alien

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, its always a good read when they're not bitch slapping the Spurs. Otherwise, they wouldn't know what they are talking about.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/35/captain_obvious.jpg

boutons_deux
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
The Spurs are rollin, the Lakers are crashin.

But sports "journalists" can only talk about the Lakers, and It'-All-About-Egomaniac-Me Kobe.

elec99
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Some good analysis there Phyzik. Hopefully teams will be misled into thinking they are a perimeter team when in fact they are just taking better shots, resulting in a higher percentage shot, which is what you would want as a coach.