PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss most of the late 90's-Early 00's.?

TE
01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
I grew up during this era. For one, I feel sorry for kids nowadays growing up with the shit that comes out on television, the shitty music they hear, and the "oh this is just xmas and new years again" cliche feeling. I come to think of it, nowadays, life just fucking sucks. Along with the inevitable fact that life becomes boring as you get older (due to gain of knowledge and experiencing things you always wanted to experience), life sucks right now. I'm bored. IDK, any constructive and appropriate non-trollish thoughts out there ?

silverblk mystix
01-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I grew up during this era. For one, I feel sorry for kids nowadays growing up with the shit that comes out on television, the shitty music they hear, and the "oh this is just xmas and new years again" cliche feeling. I come to think of it, nowadays, life just fucking sucks. Along with the inevitable fact that life becomes boring as you get older (due to gain of knowledge and experiencing things you always wanted to experience), life sucks right now. I'm bored. IDK, any constructive and appropriate non-trollish thoughts out there ?

Quite a few different topics here, but I got some thoughts for you.

#1) I personally miss the friends I had and the place I lived in the 90's (Southern California). And my getaway trips to Northern Cali were some of the most memorable times in my life.

But I am enjoying today as much as I enjoyed that time...

#2) The music/tv/popular culture of any decade or time frame are kind of relative...each person loves/hates their own thing...I work with people who play 80's music all day...and I personally want to stab someone with a fuckin' pencil through the eye every time I hear an 80's song...but oh well...to each his own..
Later on in life...you may feel nostalgic about YOUR music...and some little prick will ridicule you and call you an old fuck....

#3)I think that your boredom is stemming from some false ideas in your mind.
What I mean is that you sort of implied that it is inevitable to become bored as you get older...I guess because you have already fulfilled a few thrills.
Well, I have to strongly disagree that boredom is inevitable.
The thinking/programming in your head is something that can be changed easier--than trying to re-arrange the planet to suit your mind and to prevent boredom.

Instead of trying to carpet the entire planet...just get a comfortable pair of shoes.

In other words...the present and the near future is a great time to work on your mind/programming to understand how one gets bored and how one sets themselves up for boredom by thinking it is necessary to chase thrills and chase things that you mistakenly believe will make you happy.

I cannot honestly remember being bored very often in my life.

I used to need a thousand things/thrills/toys/gadgets,etc... to keep me interested and fulfilled...

but now I only have a very few things ...but I learned to really enjoy,taste,feel, experience--everything completely...and I don't need a thousand things anymore....

As I have gotten older...I seem to find excitement in almost everything that I do...I have learned to enjoy each moment...and then let that moment go without clinging to it and ready to enjoy the next and the next....

Try working on your mind...it is fascinating what you will discover...boredom is something that you can understand...and when you begin to understand anything...it ceases to be a burden...

Good luck

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
white kids wearing FUBU

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
also, black kids wearing FUBU

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I saw an episode of Seinfeld for the first time in many, many months. Maybe even a year. I've seen that episode so many times, I knew what was coming long before it happened.

And it still made me laugh my ass off. I miss Seinfeld, that's for sure.

I would say I miss being able to come and go as I please, but then again, I enjoy my kids more than I could have possibly imagined when 10 years ago.

If anything, I get what you're saying about getting older and more knowledgeable though. While I think it's a good thing, being a naive teen isn't always a bad thing in the sense that it was much, much less stressful.

RandomGuy
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Being in my late 20's and early 30's. Easy question. :)

mrsmaalox
01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm not one who wastes much time looking back; but I'm also curious enough that there's never been an opportunity to get bored with my life.

But for the 90's, my 3 kids were born in the mid to late 90's and I do miss how they were then.

RandomGuy
01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
The economist did an interesting article on how happy people are as they get older.

The studies they did will surprise you.

The thread and link to that article can be found here:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168404

RandomGuy
01-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm not one who wastes much time looking back; but I'm also curious enough that there's never been an opportunity to get bored with my life.

But for the 90's, my 3 kids were born in the mid to late 90's and I do miss how they were then.

I love having my kids little now, but look forward to all of the things I can teach them as they get older.

It's all good for me. :toast

mrsmaalox
01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I love having my kids little now, but look forward to all of the things I can teach them as they get older.

It's all good for me. :toast

I'll tell you what....it just gets more and more amazing with every year. It has been the most mind blowing experience of my life having them around---being a witness and participant in this adventure. And it is ALWAYS an adventure :lol

admiralsnackbar
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
SilverBlk was more eloquent, but if you're bored, you need to find a way to un-bore yourself and try new things.

We all get that "nothing new under the sun" feeling (I used to get it a lot when I was 18... as if I knew anything then), and we all have a tendency to romanticize our youth, but both are more a symptom of hanging on to an out-grown definition of self than anything outside our skulls.

Cold off the presses, but you're not going to be here forever so you may as well entertain yourself in the meantime even if that means putting yourself out there and risking things. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin', as the man said.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Someone needs to watch OWN.

Winehole23
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
At any rate, boredom is under-appreciated.

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
At any rate, boredom is under-appreciated.

As anyone who has kids, especially more than one, can attest, time is vastly under-appreciated.

A friend of mine was thinking of getting a second job on weekends to earn some extra cash, and I told him not to because since he's single, he doesn't appreciate how valuable time is. Get a job working on your two days off, thereby taking away your free time will get you reacquainted with that real quick.

I love my kids. My problem is that I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do.

So if there's one thing I do miss from my teen\early 20s years, it's just having time.

desflood
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Join the Peace Corps.

Das Texan
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I miss airport security of the late 90s.

CuckingFunt
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Is there anything from the late-90s/early-00s that you don't still have access to? In terms of music/movies/TV, I mean. It's not as if any of those things have been lost to us forever.

The rest of it... yeah. If you're that bored at such a young age, you've really got to find some new interests. That's no one's fault but your own. I find new things to interest and engage me on a daily basis.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I miss airport security of the late 90s.

With some punctuation that could set off another thread. :tu

But seriously, I prefer the groping they do now :toast

Spurminator
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
To each his own, but in my opinion music and television are MUCH better today than in the late 90's/early 00's.

That era was a low point for music, frankly, unless you like stuff like Staind. Even the popular music out today is 10x better than the pop music of that time.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
:lol Are you a teenager?

leemajors
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I missed it not being the early to mid 90s?

PakiDan
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
2 Words: Z Cavaricci

Spurminator
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
2 Words: Z Cavaricci

That was early 90's.

1991 to be exact.

I remember because I wore my first pair the very day they went out of style.

Duff McCartney
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't know if I miss them but I recall fondly technology taking a larger grip of our lives around that time.

First time my mom and step-dad owned a cell phone circa 1999. The longing for high speed internet when all I had was dial up (AOL, Netzero) the fun and excitement of Yahoo chat rooms and meeting random people.The dot com bubble and the burst that followed. The birth and subsequent demise of Napster and all the songs that you could easily download for free.

I look back fondly on the late 90s and early 2000s....but the time I remember the most was 1999 to 2001.

LnGrrrR
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM

How old are you? Serious question.

TE
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
how old are you? Serious question.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Damn. I was far from bored at 22. Turn off the gaming console and get some fresh air. Got get out, brah.

TE
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Damn. I was far from bored at 22. Turn off the gaming console and get some fresh air. Got get out, brah.

I don't play video games all that often. And I do like doing outdoor stuff (hunting, camping, outdoor/park b-ball, football, etc). It's none of that stuff.

I can't help but say I am truly bored with life. :bang

Viva Las Espuelas
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't play video games all that often. And I do like doing outdoor stuff (hunting, camping, outdoor/park b-ball, football, etc). It's none of that stuff.

Hmm. Don't know what to tell you.

Glenn Holland
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
i miss watching new episdoes of dawsons creek

i got a boner when the mom had an affair on the dad

oh crap
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
damn, this kid is only 22 and already hitting a wall? what in the fuck?? at that age, i was on top of the world.

baseline bum
01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Tim Duncan's athleticism? Other than that, not much from that era.

Drachen
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, that era was complete trash. I mean, Limp bizkit was a big band then. That is pretty much all you need to know about the virtues of that period of time.

Also if you are 22 now, how can you miss the late 90s and early 2000s. You were 12 or under!

Were you more fulfilled playing little league?

Go to college or something.

JoeChalupa
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
The 70's and 80's were much better.

resistanze
01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
also, black kids wearing FUBU

lol fubu

baseline bum
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
lol fubu

JNCO was way worse than FUBU.

oh crap
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
dammn. forgot all about jnco's.

resistanze
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
JNCO was way worse than FUBU.

JNCO! Oh Man. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM

How can life be boring at 22? Are you still living at home? At college? What do you do for a living?

You should be independent, doing your own thing. (Of course, being in the military, I got to travel a bit during this age.)

ChuckD
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I miss the NASDAQ at 4000

ashbeeigh
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I always thought of jncos as a mid 90s thing like 95-97. That was a total middle school fad.

I miss Justin Timberlake's white hair.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/101011/celeb_makeovers/makeovers-timberlake-before24.jpg

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that era was complete trash. I mean, Limp bizkit was a big band then. That is pretty much all you need to know about the virtues of that period of time.

Also if you are 22 now, how can you miss the late 90s and early 2000s. You were 12 or under!

Were you more fulfilled playing little league?

Go to college or something.
:rolleyes

And now Kesha, Katy Perry, Chris Brown and tons of other mainstream hiphop artists are the biggest names being listened to. I can literally, literally, and literally turn on a mainstream poppy radio station (I'd give you an example but we probably don't live in the same area) and not enjoy one single song all day. In the 90s, not really the case. There actually were some good songs out there on the biggest of stations. Of course you can still hear good music from time to time on classic rock stations or some other alternative stations, but they're not playing much of anything new. That's why I'm strictly speaking of "the radio station" (the biggest, most normally listened to across the board, the shit young kids listen to because it's realistically all they have access to for music influences while you and your wife have some mainstream station on in the car)(well, this isn't as true anymore since all young kids do anymore is fuck around on the computer, but you get the point).

Now, all you will hear is anywhere from 5-7 different terrible poppy hip hop songs (by artists such as Chris Brown, Akon, etc.)....and that's it. Maybe 8 if in your town the biggest station is somewhat better than the norm, but god damn it is bad.

Spurminator
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Maybe you should try video games.

CharlieMac
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
One of my students was wearing a Vampire Weekend t-shirt and said that Stone Temple Pilots suck. They also threw in a "lol" in one of their narratives. F-

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM
:rolleyes

And now Kesha, Katy Perry, Chris Brown and tons of other mainstream hiphop artists are the biggest names being listened to. I can literally, literally, and literally turn on a mainstream poppy radio station (I'd give you an example but we probably don't live in the same area) and not enjoy one single song all day. In the 90s, not really the case. There actually were some good songs out there on the biggest of stations. Of course you can still hear good music from time to time on classic rock stations or some other alternative stations, but they're not playing much of anything new. That's why I'm strictly speaking of "the radio station" (the biggest, most normally listened to across the board, the shit young kids listen to because it's realistically all they have access to for music influences while you and your wife have some mainstream station on in the car)(well, this isn't as true anymore since all young kids do anymore is fuck around on the computer, but you get the point).

Now, all you will hear is anywhere from 5-7 different terrible poppy hip hop songs (by artists such as Chris Brown, Akon, etc.)....and that's it. Maybe 8 if in your town the biggest station is somewhat better than the norm, but god damn it is bad.

weren't you like fucking 6 years old back in the late 90's? shut the fuck up brah. just because you jammed out to the Kidz Bop version of Hit Me Baby One More Time doesn't mean late 90's shitty pop > 2010 shitty pop.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
weren't you like fucking 6 years old back in the late 90's? shut the fuck up brah. just because you jammed out to the Kidz Bop version of Hit Me Baby One More Time doesn't mean late 90's shitty pop > 2010 shitty pop.
Is that mono yet again trying to push me into shame for my age??? Being born in 1989 and 21, I actually am very comfortable with my age :lol

And yes, I agree pop music overall blows, but back then you could listen to some decent and new rock songs on said pop station.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
mono, when are you gonna ask me out for a first date???

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
back then you could listen to some decent and new rock songs on said pop station.

:lmao did 10 year old Alvarez think that Creed was super cool? Did you get the Kidz Bop version of "Higher"?

desflood
01-04-2011, 10:35 PM

You're too old to play spoiled brat. 8-year-olds whine about boredom.

You're old enough to do something important with yourself - go do it. Like outdoor stuff? Go be a camp counselor or Big Brother or something. Find a local organization (or start one) that takes needy/high-risk kids into the wilderness and teaches them survival skills.

I had a family at your age. Occupying yourself with the needs of others ensures that you find no time to be bored.

Spurminator
01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Is that mono yet again trying to push me into shame for my age??? Being born in 1989 and 21, I actually am very comfortable with my age :lol

And yes, I agree pop music overall blows, but back then you could listen to some decent and new rock songs on said pop station.

I agree that rock is all but dead on pop stations but that has more to do with radio format changes than the quality of music. Even then, I'd struggle to name 3 good rock bands heard on pop radio stations between 1998-2003.

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Even then, I'd struggle to name 3 good rock bands heard on pop radio stations between 1998-2003.

Creed
Staind
Evanescence

booyah. I'm the smartest boy in the world!

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I agree that rock is all but dead on pop stations but that has more to do with radio format changes than the quality of music. Even then, I'd struggle to name 3 good rock bands heard on pop radio stations between 1998-2003.

Oh I agree, rock has been dying since the early 90s, there weren't many good ones in the late 90s early 2000s, but I remember there simply being some decent singles out there that you could hear regularly.

IDK if it's just my area, I doubt it, but the most popular/mainstream radio station these days literally plays the same 5 terrible songs over and over all day.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Answer my question mono... you're gonna be all on my nuts for a while now before ever asking me out?

monosylab1k
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh I agree, rock has been dying since the early 90s, there weren't many good ones in the late 90s early 2000s, but I remember there simply being some decent singles out there that you could hear regularly.

please inform us of those decent singles, and god help us all if you put limp bizkit, korn, staind, POD, evanescence, linkin park or any other shitty nu metal band on that list.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
please inform us of those decent singles, and god help us all if you put limp bizkit, korn, staind, POD, evanescence, linkin park or any other shitty nu metal band on that list.

Incubus: several songs
Oasis: several songs
RHCP: several songs
Sublime - what i got (could be heard on regular stations)
The occasional U2, Third Eye Blind, goo goo dolls song

Only off the top of my head, sorry if you were looking for a thought out and massive list, because I never said the list was massive. But the radio was not as bad as it is now.

I'll save you some time:

HAHAHA what a pussy you listen to bands like TEB and U2?!?!?!!?!?!

By no means any of my favorite bands, but could definitely tolerate all that shit over most of what you hear these days on your local most popular mainstream station.

jeebus
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Join the military. When I was 22, I was in Iraq/Japan, which was fun. Go hunt some Taliban or some shit.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
This thread makes me sad.

silverblk mystix
01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
The occasional U2, Third Eye Blind, goo goo dolls song

Only off the top of my head, sorry if you were looking for a thought out and massive list, because I never said the list was massive. But the radio was not as bad as it is now.

I'll save you some time:

By no means any of my favorite bands, but could definitely tolerate all that shit over most of what you hear these days on your local most popular mainstream station.

+1,000,000

Any of the 90's stuff would be preferable to today's garbage on mainstream radio...

EricB
01-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I miss seeing Lane from AIC in person in concert from the 90s.

I miss the rock from the 90s.

Dr. Gonzo
01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Lsd

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Lsd
It's still available

monosylab1k
01-05-2011, 12:07 AM
The occasional U2, Third Eye Blind, goo goo dolls song.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

good job, you found one decent song.

Damn, I forgot all about Incubus and the shitload of suck they dropped on everyone in the 90's. PARDON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHILE I BURST INTOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLAMES :lmao

TE
01-05-2011, 12:34 AM
How can life be boring at 22? Are you still living at home? At college? What do you do for a living?

You should be independent, doing your own thing. (Of course, being in the military, I got to travel a bit during this age.)

I graduated from college during the summer, and applied to med school. I got several interviews, namely from two schools I really targeted (which is so far my biggest accomplishment). Currently, I am working in a lab, doing research on polymer chemistry to pad up my resume. Basically, I've accomplished A LOT of my personal goals, with still the one of becoming a physician for me to pursue. imo, the entire primacy of life is a damn cliche...which makes life itself boring, which is depressing all in itself.

ALVAREZ6
01-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Damn, I forgot all about Incubus and the shitload of suck they dropped on everyone in the 90's. PARDON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHILE I BURST INTOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLAMES :lmao
You personally hate everything that isn't rap, sorry you do not like the genre.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 01:08 PM
My youth . . .

The Gemini Method
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Music isn't dying--you just have to put some effort into finding good music.

I don't know if I'd miss about the late 90's because alot of it was done without the concern of others involved. I look back and say that I had a ton of fun and lived it up, but I most certainly don't 'miss' much from that time, because it was all fond memories.

leemajors
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Clue: His screen name is a song with no rapping in it.

ALVAREZ6
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Music isn't dying--you just have to put some effort into finding good music.

No one's arguing otherwise, it's more specific: overall quality of music on mainstream radio

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
No one's arguing otherwise, it's more specific: overall quality of music on mainstream radio

Mainstream radio has always sucked tbh. Pick a decade and look at the top 40. Mostly shitty.

Spurminator
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Mainstream radio is a dying barometer for what is popular, and a long-ago-dead barometer for what is good.

Duff McCartney
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I had a family at your age.

You must be Mexican.

monosylab1k
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM

I actually hate the large majority of rap, but you're the 18 year old faggot who knows everything. And apparently that means thinking nu metal isn't total fucking shit :lmao

monosylab1k
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Clue: His screen name is a song with no rapping in it.

:toast

what's shadow been up to lately? I read something about a new album in the works, but with him who knows. I still remember being in NYC and seeing his show at the Bowery Ballroom in 2002, best concert I've ever been to still. He played right up to the midnight release of Private Press, then we all got a copy and he signed them for everyone.

redzero
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Why name yourself after something on Private Press when Endtroducing is way better?

Changeling or Napalm Bomb are much better names.

monosylab1k
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Why name yourself after something on Private Press when Endtroducing is way better?

:lol such a hipster thing to say. but in this case it's true.

In/Flux is even better than those for a name, but I like my song over all of them. And I'm pretty sure it's Napalm Brain.

redzero
01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Fuck, edit my quote so it says Napalm Brain.

leemajors
01-05-2011, 06:30 PM

what's shadow been up to lately? I read something about a new album in the works, but with him who knows. I still remember being in NYC and seeing his show at the Bowery Ballroom in 2002, best concert I've ever been to still. He played right up to the midnight release of Private Press, then we all got a copy and he signed them for everyone.

The 4 track era albums were pretty good, but that was all really old stuff. Hopefully he quit trying to be a hyphy DJ. Hopefully the new one he is working on does really sound different than the last.

leemajors
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Even though it's just a collection of singles, Preemptive Strike is better than both of those tbh, but I like the extended overhaul of Organ Donor a lot.

Darrin
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/the-west-wing-cast-708368.jpghttp://boredshit.com/flashgames/sopranos.jpg

I miss my TV shows. The Sopranos and The West Wing were the last two shows that were an experience for me. I wouldn't miss an episode and even found myself watching them over and over. And we had some shows that I enjoyed but weren't an experience: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Law and Order, Everwood, Friends to name a few. There's not a television show on today that I will watch religiously.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
It's still available

Ketamine then?

ALVAREZ6
01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Mainstream radio has always sucked tbh. Pick a decade and look at the top 40. Mostly shitty.

No doubt.

Don't pick little pieces of posts, you're getting the wrong idea. I never said it was ever any good, simply that it is flat out atrocious right now. And only 1.5 genres covered, 6 songs on repeat, period. That is all, I'm done talking about mainstream radio :lol

ALVAREZ6
01-05-2011, 07:01 PM
I actually hate the large majority of rap
As do I, however I do like a good amount.

but you're the 18 year old faggot who knows everything. And apparently that means thinking nu metal isn't total fucking shit :lmao
:lol more age hate, gotta love it, you mad that I'm young or something bro? You bring it up every single post against me, it's an echo by now.

"nu metal" is a pretty broad genre...and I don't like most of it. lol limp bizkit

You love slightly twisting literally everything I post douche bag, when did I say I like nu metal?? Umm....never.

I did however mention the RHCP, a very small part of my point, in the context that I can take some of their songs, specifically earlier shit. You take that, a band that's barely nu metal, and somehow I love the genre.

Keep it up douche bag

leemajors
01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

I wish I knew wtf eddie def and DJ Disk are up to as well. The 90s were a very good time for the return of the dj, albeit deep underground. DJ Quest was the last person out of the Piklz/Travlerz/Shadow Bay Area DJ scene to put out an album, and that was 2008

LnGrrrR
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I graduated from college during the summer, and applied to med school. I got several interviews, namely from two schools I really targeted (which is so far my biggest accomplishment). Currently, I am working in a lab, doing research on polymer chemistry to pad up my resume. Basically, I've accomplished A LOT of my personal goals, with still the one of becoming a physician for me to pursue. imo, the entire primacy of life is a damn cliche...which makes life itself boring, which is depressing all in itself.

Sounds like you have some pretty shitty goals, if you're not excited to meet them.

Have you thought about trying to get laid lately? :lol

LnGrrrR
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Seriously, the thing I miss about the late 90's is being home with my family, chilling with my little brother playing video games or something along those lines.

I left for basic training in '99, and have maybe gotten to see my family a total of 3 to 4 months in the eleven years I've been gone.

desflood
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
You must be Mexican.
No, just married one.

Dr. Gonzo
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
It's still available

Not to me it isn't.

Tinystarz
01-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Old people are never gonna like the new stuff. That goes for every generation.

200 miles
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM

One thing I did find amusing:

May 1999: I saw all of the Star Wars geeks being ultra-pumped to watch The Phantom Menace when they poured into the theater. After the movie ended, I saw some of those same geeks look very disappointed. :lol

TE
01-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Sounds like you have some pretty shitty goals, if you're not excited to meet them.

Have you thought about trying to get laid lately? :lol

Sex ain't the issue.

And to answer other posters, no I ain't hitting the wall, just a boring/conservative time in my life.

Hopefully this year will get better, the movies coming out later this year are something to look forward to, as well as the Spurs beasting in the playoffs.

LnGrrrR
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sex ain't the issue.

And to answer other posters, no I ain't hitting the wall, just a boring/conservative time in my life.

Hopefully this year will get better, the movies coming out later this year are something to look forward to, as well as the Spurs beasting in the playoffs.

So, let's just get this straight:

Achieving lifegoals = boring

New movie = Exciting

Gotcha.

Nathan Explosion
01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Sex ain't the issue.

You claim you're active and doing things, but yet are bored. As an aspiring doctor, it should be readily apparent to you that you are suffering from depression.

Or, it could be that you really aren't living, just doing things. When I was 22, I was already winding down in my partying. But I had been smoking, and going out and doing my own things since I was 14.

Still, at 22 I was taking off when I wanted to wherever I wanted to go. I would do simple things like drive to Austin from Krispy Kreme because everyone said the donuts were the shit and were waiting in line for 2 hours to get some, or about the same amount of time it would take to drive to Austin in back.

I was seeing every band that played a club in San Antonio and Austin, sometimes one city one night and the other the next. I would drive to Corpus for the day, not to do anything, but just because I could.

Even though you've accomplished your goals, it seems like you were too focused on the destination that you didn't enjoy the journey to get there. Going to Austin or Corpus, or Bandera at 2 am wasn't about going to those places (Bandera is nice, but what's so exciting about it really?), it was about just doing something on a whim because I could, and enjoying the freedom associated with it.

Again, having goals is nice, but if you just focus solely on completing the journey instead of the journey, in the end, you're feel bored and unfulfilled.

Dr. Gonzo
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I set the bar really low for myself at a young age so my life goals were reached when I was 13. Everything after that is a bonus.

leemajors
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I set the bar really low for myself at a young age so my life goals were reached when I was 13. Everything after that is a bonus.

Aim low is what I say, you CAN reach your goals!

TE
01-06-2011, 11:46 PM
You claim you're active and doing things, but yet are bored. As an aspiring doctor, it should be readily apparent to you that you are suffering from depression.

Or, it could be that you really aren't living, just doing things. When I was 22, I was already winding down in my partying. But I had been smoking, and going out and doing my own things since I was 14.

Still, at 22 I was taking off when I wanted to wherever I wanted to go. I would do simple things like drive to Austin from Krispy Kreme because everyone said the donuts were the shit and were waiting in line for 2 hours to get some, or about the same amount of time it would take to drive to Austin in back.

I was seeing every band that played a club in San Antonio and Austin, sometimes one city one night and the other the next. I would drive to Corpus for the day, not to do anything, but just because I could.

Even though you've accomplished your goals, it seems like you were too focused on the destination that you didn't enjoy the journey to get there. Going to Austin or Corpus, or Bandera at 2 am wasn't about going to those places (Bandera is nice, but what's so exciting about it really?), it was about just doing something on a whim because I could, and enjoying the freedom associated with it.

Again, having goals is nice, but if you just focus solely on completing the journey instead of the journey, in the end, you're feel bored and unfulfilled.

Those things sound a little out of scope for me, but it's something that I should try, just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the ideas :toast

LnGrrrR
01-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Those things sound a little out of scope for me, but it's something that I should try, just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the ideas :toast

You haven't done those already? You're a weird 22 year old. :lol

If you don't have at least 3 drinking stories by now (and if you don't drink, you should at least be hanging out with other friends who do), then you need to reevaluate your life.

Nathan Explosion
01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
You haven't done those already? You're a weird 22 year old. :lol

If you don't have at least 3 drinking stories by now (and if you don't drink, you should at least be hanging out with other friends who do), then you need to reevaluate your life.

Funny thing for me, I started smoking weed when I was 14, but stopped when I turned 18 (on a consistent level) because I had to get a job. I didn't start drinking until I turned 21, and only because I found vodka.

I don't have exciting drinking stories, and have only been hungover twice in my entire life (I don't have a high tolerance for alcohol these days, but I always could hold my liquor), but I have tons of memories of just being good and drunk and having fun. And I was NEVER bored.

Jacob1983
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Buffy, Angel, and a lot of the shows on the WB. I know a lot of them were cheesy but that's what made them good in my opinion. I miss the surplus in America that we had back in the late 1990s and early 2000. I also miss cheaper prices on basically everything too. And the thing I probably miss the most from that time period is probably just the whole atmosphere of the world and America. Things were so much better back then.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know years in particular but I graduated HS in '98. Maybe we were losers but we really didn't listen to much new music after '96. Guess once i fell for the early to mid ninety's alt/punk i never cared much to stay too current. Anyone that names Oasis as good music has still yet to discover the Beatles. Linkin/stand is like a bunch of pothead 7th graders got together and never matured.

By far the 60's then I'll go straight to the early to mid nineties. I'll put the 50's above the 70's and 80's. How can anyone who didn't love punk or disco say the 70's were good? The 80's were all about shitty techno-synthesizer crap or over the top hair metal boringness.

A good song is timeless whenever it would be released. "Revoltion" rocks harder than most modern songs on the radio today.

The "singer-songwriter" artist is dead.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 12:29 AM
I liked Seinfeld too but watch the reruns as if you've never seen them before, I know, hard to do. Its not funny at all. Heck, Growing Pains, Full House, and Family Matters were hits too but there also not funny.

Try watching Tosh.0 or Family Guy to see how lame some of those older shows are. I just think the sitcom is mostly dead also.

monosylab1k
01-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I liked Seinfeld too but watch the reruns as if you've never seen them before, I know, hard to do. Its not funny at all. Heck, Growing Pains, Full House, and Family Matters were hits too but there also not funny.

Try watching Tosh.0 or Family Guy to see how lame some of those older shows are. I just think the sitcom is mostly dead also.

Um, Family Guy is fucking retarded. Give me Seinfeld any day over Family Guy. Give me basically anything over Family Guy.

And Tosh.0 is funny but it's a complete ripoff of The Soup which is better anyways.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Not to make any assumptions but I've found that unless you get most of the obscure references, you don't appreciate Family Guy all its worth. Those two shows are the only ones I've ever seen that makes me gasp for breath and tears come down my eye.

Nothing is an original concept anymore. Really, all TV has been done already. The Soup isn't a groundbreaking concept. And I really have a hard time thinking that with, what, 2 different hosts, they were both funnier commentators than Daniel Tosh?

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Although the new Family Guys I've been DVR'ing lately have mostly been pretty dumb.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 12:51 AM
The Seinfeld jokes themselves aren't really funny. George plays real life frogger with an arcade machine. He's too cheap to buy expensive envelopes and kills his fiance. Kramer stuffs asian men in his drawer's. Sounds like a poor grade school skit in theory. Those guys made it work but the material or concept really isn't that funny. Media today needs to be faster paced. Kids want funny, a split second and there browsing youtube video's or what not. Sitcoms like seinfeld are very SLOW to develop.

Nathan Explosion
01-08-2011, 11:14 AM
The Seinfeld jokes themselves aren't really funny. George plays real life frogger with an arcade machine. He's too cheap to buy expensive envelopes and kills his fiance. Kramer stuffs asian men in his drawer's. Sounds like a poor grade school skit in theory. Those guys made it work but the material or concept really isn't that funny. Media today needs to be faster paced. Kids want funny, a split second and there browsing youtube video's or what not. Sitcoms like seinfeld are very SLOW to develop.

But that's what's so great about Seinfeld, you had to invest a little time into the show to get the payoff. Every episode was funny, but they were always funnier in the end than when they started. Now days, everything tries to do everything right away. When you break down a joke to it's core, almost all of them aren't funny. But the punchline is only funny if journey to get there is done right. Seinfeld always set up the joke in such a way that the punchline always delivered.

I think it was the Sportsguy who was talking to a stand up about how these days guys do standup, get famous quickly and then get movie deals and TV deals and fail miserably at it. The reasoning between the two was that standups like Seinfeld and Steve Martin and all others was that they worked clubs and did live shows for so long, it honed their delivery and ability to set up a joke. They became great comedians. And as such, they were able to transfer that process to their TV shows (or movies in Martin's case). Now days, see how long it takes for a sitcom to deliver it's first real joke. I guarantee you won't get far into the show before it tries.

I was listening to Adam Carolla and he was talking about how movies love to just jump into things (action movies start with a big shootout and what not). The movies these days don't take time to get the viewer invested in the characters and the story first.

About a month after hearing that, I watched Risky Business, and was surprised about how slow the movie develops. It takes about 30 minutes (by my estimate although I wasn't really paying attention) to really "start" the movie. But the movie is so good, you don't really notice, unless you've been watching the ADD stuff that comes out these days.

Finally, the problem with Family Guy is that it appears that Seth McFarlane is so intent on putting in obscure jokes that the show appears as if he and the writers are only putting out a show for them. It isn't to terribly funny at all. It has it's moments, but overall, I've seen better, more obscure and subtle jokes in the Simpsons over the years that have stood up better than anything Family Guy (or American Dad or the Cleveland Show for that matter) ave every done.

Oh, and the "that reminds me of the time..." and the Conway Twitty stuff is just so stupid and over played now it's ridiculous. I haven't watched an episode of Family Guy in over a year, and I'm probably not missing much.

JoeChalupa
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Um, Family Guy is fucking retarded. Give me Seinfeld any day over Family Guy. Give me basically anything over Family Guy.

And Tosh.0 is funny but it's a complete ripoff of The Soup which is better anyways.

Seinfeld was great. I still watch it almost every nigth and I still laugh. I know it wasn't for everyone though. I don't watch many of the current sit-coms.

ohmwrecker
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Speaking of TV shows that required an attention span . . . I miss Twin Peaks. That's damn good coffee!

CuckingFunt
01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Speaking of TV shows that required an attention span . . . I miss Twin Peaks. That's damn good coffee!

I just re-watched the entire series for the first time since it was new. There's a noticeable decline in the second season after ABC forced them to reveal Laura's killer, but the pilot, the first 17 episodes, and the last six or so episodes are fucking genius.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Sad to say I've never seen one episode of Twin Peaks. Same for the movie.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I thought it was funny back in the day too. I still think of the sun whenever i see a nice rack. One glance then look away! But like I said, I also thought Full House was watchable too. Watch a rerun sometime, I'll seriously watch Sesame Street or Thomas than that, its like banging your head against the wall.

I understand the comment about obscure jokes and how Family Guy crams them in there too much. My time is much too valuable to sit through 30 minutes and truely get one or two good chuckle. I'm over 30 now, it takes a LOT for me to ROFL and those shows do it.

Bugs Bunny has some pretty good obscure chuckles too but Family Guy and Tosh have the ones that make me think "I thought I was the only one who caught that"

The "Wild Thing Rick Vaughn" comment about the dart player still makes me gasp for air EVERY TIME I see it.

monosylab1k
01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Not to make any assumptions but I've found that unless you get most of the obscure references, you don't appreciate Family Guy all its worth. Those two shows are the only ones I've ever seen that makes me gasp for breath and tears come down my eye.

the references in family guy aren't obscure in the least bit. They're incredibly obvious and not the least bit clever, which is why the show blows.

The Soup isn't a groundbreaking concept. And I really have a hard time thinking that with, what, 2 different hosts, they were both funnier commentators than Daniel Tosh?

Joel McHale >>>>>>> Daniel Tosh. I like Tosh, but he's not as good.

Barfunk
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Damn, I guess music really is subjective. Have you heard that song Aqueous Transmission by Incubus? That chorus melody, imo is pretty nice. I used to hate Linkin Park and the like, but that "Pandora Radio" app thing on my android re-introduced me to them. Some pretty nice rhythms which I guess you could call somewhat "heavy" grooves off of the "Hybrid Theory" album, which imho were very catchy riffs and shit.

Barfunk
01-08-2011, 05:58 PM
As for the late 90's and early oh's, alot of the mainstream music wasn't too bad. I think some of the mainstream music is pretty good today as well. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I love me some over polished sounding music. Breaking Benjamin has some pretty catchy melodies such as that one off the radio "I Will Not Bow". I also heard an acoustic album of the band Seether which was fucking awesome. Only "SOME" of the autotuned music I like as well. I think that song "Only God Knows Why" had autotune on it and I'm thinkin it came out around the late 90's??

ohmwrecker
01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I just re-watched the entire series for the first time since it was new. There's a noticeable decline in the second season after ABC forced them to reveal Laura's killer, but the pilot, the first 17 episodes, and the last six or so episodes are fucking genius.

Sad to say I've never seen one episode of Twin Peaks. Same for the movie.

Agree. The movie isn't that great, but the series is some of Lynch's best work. Like Cucking Funt said, it does bog down in the middle, but the first season is superb and they wrap it up really well.

Nathan Explosion
01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Damn, I guess music really is subjective. Have you heard that song Aqueous Transmission by Incubus? That chorus melody, imo is pretty nice. I used to hate Linkin Park and the like, but that "Pandora Radio" app thing on my android re-introduced me to them. Some pretty nice rhythms which I guess you could call somewhat "heavy" grooves off of the "Hybrid Theory" album, which imho were very catchy riffs and shit.

Anything Incubus did after Science was shit in the end. It was just the same rehashed formula over and over. I actually liked Make Yourself but it hardly stands the test of time. As for Linkin Park, well, Limp Bizkit had songs that had harmonies and catchy grooves (the bass line for Rearranged is quite catchy) but no one would call it timeless or ground breaking. Again, and I liked Significant Other.

Spurbanana
01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm in the same boat here: just turned 22, about to start my final semester of college and my life is great, yet I'm in a funk. I think it's a combination of the uncertainty of the future and the "lasts": last time to visit SA and Sacramento for a while (two places I love), last time to be in college, see college friends, not pay bills, etc.

The worst part, though, is the cyclical aspect: Once I realized I was bored/sad/whatever, it just made me sadder. I get frustrated at myself just like you guys are getting frustrated with us "dumb kids" for being bored at such a young age. And yet nothing seems to be turning around.

Just gotta hang in there and start being spontaneous, I guess.

I don't really miss anything music/TV/movie-wise from my youth, though. :P

Viva Las Espuelas
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Agree. The movie isn't that great, but the series is some of Lynch's best work. Like Cucking Funt said, it does bog down in the middle, but the first season is superb and they wrap it up really well.

I see.

sickdsm
01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
the references in family guy aren't obscure in the least bit. They're incredibly obvious and not the least bit clever, which is why the show blows.

Joel McHale >>>>>>> Daniel Tosh. I like Tosh, but he's not as good.

I'm not saying that you need to have a Master's to get the laughs. But your typical minimum wage worker gets lost in a lot of the jokes. You know that as well as I do. Seinfeld by no means is clever. Jerry Seinfeld isn't even that funny as a stand up comedian.

If McHale is so immensely better why is his ratings worse?

CuckingFunt
01-09-2011, 01:47 AM
The movie isn't that great

That's putting it nicely. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me pretty much sucks, flat out. And that's coming from a pretty big Lynch fan. I'm normally willing to go to whatever crazy dream world he wants to take me to, but that film is just a jumbled mess.

ididnotnothat
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm not saying that you need to have a Master's to get the laughs. But your typical minimum wage worker gets lost in a lot of the jokes. You know that as well as I do. Seinfeld by no means is clever. Jerry Seinfeld isn't even that funny as a stand up comedian.

This is one ridiculous post. Minimum wage worker doesn't get it? That is just plain stupid. Most of my friends are not college educated and they loved Seinfeld.

Duff McCartney
01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I've always hated Family Guy as being nothing more than a rip off of The Simpsons.

Family Guy to me overkills all their jokes and also brings in jokes that do nothing to advance the plot of the show.

One absolute one I remember is when Peter Griffin says something about it reminds me of when I botched Tara Reids boob job. Since when is Peter a plastic surgeon? And what does flashing back to that joke have to do with the show. At least The Simpsons jokes while some were obscure were built into the storyline of the episode.

As far as their jokes go, they often times make a joke with a punchline and then repeat it 5-6 times immediately afterward in case you "didn't get it" I suppose like it's supposed to be funny but it really is just annoying.

Nathan Explosion
01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I've always hated Family Guy as being nothing more than a rip off of The Simpsons.

Family Guy to me overkills all their jokes and also brings in jokes that do nothing to advance the plot of the show.

One absolute one I remember is when Peter Griffin says something about it reminds me of when I botched Tara Reids boob job. Since when is Peter a plastic surgeon? And what does flashing back to that joke have to do with the show. At least The Simpsons jokes while some were obscure were built into the storyline of the episode.

As far as their jokes go, they often times make a joke with a punchline and then repeat it 5-6 times immediately afterward in case you "didn't get it" I suppose like it's supposed to be funny but it really is just annoying.

The funniest thing about Family Guy is Peter fighting the chicken. Other than that, I can do without if I had to.

To me, you know a joke holds up over time when it's an episode that you've seen many times, you know the joke is coming and when it happens, you still laugh your ass off. Seinfeld and The Simpsons still do that for me after all these years.

TE
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
The funniest thing about Family Guy is Peter fighting the chicken. Other than that, I can do without if I had to.

To me, you know a joke holds up over time when it's an episode that you've seen many times, you know the joke is coming and when it happens, you still laugh your ass off. Seinfeld and The Simpsons still do that for me after all these years.

If you believe the only funny moment in Family Guy is the Peter Griffin-Chicken fight scene, you are completely delusional.

TE
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM

I agree, Seinfield ain't all that funny. However, it is a good show tbh.

I learned that the hard way by being forced to watch seinfield with my parents after dinner all throughout my younger years.

TE
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm in the same boat here: just turned 22, about to start my final semester of college and my life is great, yet I'm in a funk. I think it's a combination of the uncertainty of the future and the "lasts": last time to visit SA and Sacramento for a while (two places I love), last time to be in college, see college friends, not pay bills, etc.

The worst part, though, is the cyclical aspect: Once I realized I was bored/sad/whatever, it just made me sadder. I get frustrated at myself just like you guys are getting frustrated with us "dumb kids" for being bored at such a young age. And yet nothing seems to be turning around.

Just gotta hang in there and start being spontaneous, I guess.

I don't really miss anything music/TV/movie-wise from my youth, though. :P

Where do you go to school and what's your major?

crazylakerfan001
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
i would have to say read a book. i mean some of the greatest writers were also bored of life when they were writing and you can gain a lot of knowlege out of them. Maybe you might be inspired by one and start a writing career and pass on your story to the next generation.

Duff McCartney
01-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I thought that was funny too. But even then when I saw it I was like what's the point of this? What does it have to do with the storyline? It reminded me of the fight between Homer and Tom in Brother from the Same Planet. Except the Family Guy one had no point.

sickdsm
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM

LMAO "advance the plot of the show"? We're comparing to a show that is advertised as the show about nothing. Riigggghhhhhtttt. :lol

Duff McCartney
01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
LMAO "advance the plot of the show"? We're comparing to a show that is advertised as the show about nothing. Riigggghhhhhtttt. :lol

I'm not comparing it to Seinfeld.

boutons_deux
01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
I miss the absence of US invading/occupying countries for natural resources, countries that are even more corrupt that US, wasting 100s of 1000s of lives and many $Ts.

sickdsm
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Regardless, i'm done with this Seinfeld BS. Watched Family Guy tonight and there were three different pop culture reference's in before the credits were done rolling. Seinfeld is one big inside joke. Two reference's that I didn't get. But I'm sure everyone else gets all the completely non obscure jokes that I don't.

Keep on pretending that nostalgia = best.

sickdsm
01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I miss the absence of US invading/occupying countries for natural resources, countries that are even more corrupt that US, wasting 100s of 1000s of lives and many $Ts.

How can you miss it if its still happening?

xellos88330
01-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Not having to worry about buying a shitty videogame. The market is completely flooded with them now.

boutons_deux
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
How can you miss it if its still happening?

RIF

I MISS THE ABSENCE back then, not the presence now.

lefty
01-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Not having to worry about buying a shitty videogame. The market is completely flooded with them now.
Haha, true :tu

Duff McCartney
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Why would you have to worry about that now? That's why they have the internet so you read reviews on them first.

Back before mass internet there was no way to know which games were shitty or which were good. That's why they had the video game crash of 1983.

DarkReign
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Nothing. Not one damn thing, save for my youth.

BTW, Seinfeld blows.

Spurbanana
01-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Where do you go to school and what's your major?

Linguistics at Rice University

IronMaxipad
01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Early 90's:

Twin Peaks - Greatest show ever, up there with The Wire. tbh imo.
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/108/1082428/twin-peaks-20100408030743997.jpg

TE
01-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Linguistics at Rice University

Nice, great school :tu

monosylab1k
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Nothing. Not one damn thing, save for my youth.

BTW, Seinfeld blows.

so says the guy with the Tool avatar.