PDA

View Full Version : What's the craziest thing have you done just to watch a spurs game?

Manu-of-steel
01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
i cancelled my first date with a new girlfriend just to watch a spurs game!

101A
01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Vacationing in Uray, Co in 2003 - no chance of a TV; through my Avalanche into 4 wheel drive, and headed UP a trail to the top of the Rockies - to pick up 'OAI's signal & hear Q4 Game 6 of the finals.

"Where did you have to go to find bread?"

And

"How'd the truck get so dirty?"

phyzik
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I was a diesel clerk at Loves travel stop a few years ago. During the playoffs I was working nights. The manager had been letting me put a radio on so I could hear the games (usually at night, its very slow at a diesel stop, truckers are usually already asleep in their rigs).

For whatever reason the manager turned into a little bitch and wouldn't let me put the radio on for the game after the Horry hip check, I asked a few times and then asked for an explanaion why I couldnt put it on and never got one so I said fuck it, and quit on the spot... went home and watched the game.

Doctor J
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I didn't attend a very important wedding in order to watch the Lakers-Spurs game last week.

And I am sure that I made a very good decision that day.

Here in Australia, the Spurs games start usually at around 12:30 PM.

tp2021
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I didn't attend a very important wedding in order to watch the Lakers-Spurs game last week.

And I am sure that I made a very good decision that day.

Here in Australia, the Spurs games start usually at around 12:30 PM.

Haha, I was at a wedding at a hotel right before that game. The room we had the reception in was right across the hall from the bar with the game playing on the biggest screen. As soon as I finished the catered dinner I dipped OUT that bitch!

TwelveGs210
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
i cancelled my first date with a new girlfriend just to watch a spurs game! How do you have a girlfriend you haven't gone on a date with yet? Are you going to hit it for the first time after the divorce?

edgar
01-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I was in the hospital for 3 days and was worried that I would miss a playoff game between the spurs and the suns.

I had the nurse reel in a tv to my room. Thank God it was on local tv.

MI21
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
In 2005 during the finals against Detroit, I quit my job the night before Game 7 because my boss was not allowing me the following day off to watch the game.

It was just a part-time grocery job I had while studying, but still, very much worth it :)

FromWayDowntown
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
My suspicion is that if alamo50 is still around and pops into this thread, he's going to win.

jimo2305
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
My suspicion is that if alamo50 is still around and pops into this thread, he's going to win.

lol why's that?

boutons_deux
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
When I was travelling monthly, I bought a Slingbox, $250 to watch Spurs games in some San Diego hotel.

I've spent way too much money in sports bars, too much beer, too much shitty food (that fried whole onion grease pile in Outback? :lol Smarter now) to watch Spurs games when away from SA.

wontstartdumbthreads
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I lassoed a Bengal Tiger, drugged him, and smuggled him back home to Texas. He awoke to find a saddle on his back. I rode him through the streets of backwoods East Texas, stopping at every third juke joint, and charged the locals 5 shillings apiece to hear me play my guitar and sing songs of the Dark Ages. Once I had enough money, I engaged the services of a crackwhore and had unprotected sex with her. Just so I could see the Spurs/Pistons game 5 on her small B&W tv.

sananspursfan21
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
oh wow... well my story's nothing compared to most of these... well i left everybody at work hangin to go watch the mavs last week... didnt do like even half my job... idk, that's my craziest lol

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Ha. Quit your job so far is the winner. I cancelled a date with a girl too.

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I didn't quit a job, but a coworker once got 4 free tickets so he told me to come with. I was closing work. At his suggestion, I closed my photo lab down early, told the store manager the machine was broken and we'd have it looked at in the morning, told another guy to cover me because it was dead anyway, and left with 2 coworkers and another former coworker to the game.

The next day I found out my department got a huge rush and lots of customers were angry. The friend with the suggestion, my boss. :)

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
i watch bthe game on my phone while driving

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
i watch bthe game on my phone while driving

Man, that's just wrong

8FOR!3
01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
And his name is Trainwreck...hahaha

Rummpd
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Live drove straight through from Philly where I lived at the time to see them play in the finals vs. Detroit game 5 (after the Spurs had been blown away in games 3 and 4) and paid several hundred dollars for some scalped "nose bleed" seats and peering through some binoculars saw Robert Horry's big game winner. Horry had not only the game winner but 21 second half points but this game should not have been close as TD who had been brilliant otherwise with 26 and 19 missed 6 straights FTs and a bunny putback that would have won the game in regulation for the Spurs. Manu was brilliant for the Spurs as was Billups for the Pistons and the Wallace "brothers" were blocking shots all night like crazy. It is still one of the most exciting games I have ever seen in person and the Piston fans were just crushed at the end. Drove half way back on a high from the exciting game and I recall I was able to pick up 1210 radio accross the miles before stopping for some rest.

TV= got up at a bizarre hours to watch them in St. Petersburg Russia in the lobby of a hotel with a couple of Russian serious fans of the SAS when on a public health trip there for 2 games in a row. Sadly that did not end as well as that was the year the LAL hammered the Spurs in 4 straight after I recall Derek Anderson went down and the Spurs just could not score enough against a very talented LAL team.

Dr. Gonzo
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I committed arson.

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Man, that's just wrong

no different than some cow putting on her makeup and driving. Besides i perfected my technique during the world cup this year

nkdlunch
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
busted nuts after 5 mins to catch the 1st quarter :p

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
And his name is Trainwreck...hahaha
:lol I see! Well, If you press me, I choose the cow with the make up

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
:lol I see! Well, If you press me, I choose the cow with the make up

:lol choosing a woman driver over a man

SpursWoman
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM

My first date with my husband WAS a Spurs game. lol

wildbill2u
01-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Way back in the day, my date, another couple and I were going to an important game. Probably a playoff game though I can't remember.

We got to the parking lot and everyone got out of my 4 Dr. Lincoln Towncar. Somebody hit the door lock button. I walked around the car to help my date out. After we shut all the doors, I realized that in the hurry and confusion, I'd left the keys in the ignition and the car was running with the radio on. No extra key.

What to do? Call a key guy or wrecker and miss the game? Not me. We left the damn thing running and went to the game. Ran out of gas while we were at the game, and I had to pay a bunch to a wrecker guy to get in and up and running--but it was worth it.

Don't ask.

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
:lol choosing a woman driver over a man

I'd choose a female alligator on cannabis too, provided she keeps looking the road.

bus driver
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I was a diesel clerk at Loves travel stop a few years ago. During the playoffs I was working nights. The manager had been letting me put a radio on so I could hear the games (usually at night, its very slow at a diesel stop, truckers are usually already asleep in their rigs).

For whatever reason the manager turned into a little bitch and wouldn't let me put the radio on for the game after the Horry hip check, I asked a few times and then asked for an explanaion why I couldnt put it on and never got one so I said fuck it, and quit on the spot... went home and watched the game.

:worthy:

you should get your own seat next to pop on the bench for being this hardcore, if it is a vote i vote for this one

ajballer4
01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Way back in the day, my date, another couple and I were going to an important game. Probably a playoff game though I can't remember.

We got to the parking lot and everyone got out of my 4 Dr. Lincoln Towncar. Somebody hit the door lock button. I walked around the car to help my date out. After we shut all the doors, I realized that in the hurry and confusion, I'd left the keys in the ignition and the car was running with the radio on. No extra key.

What to do? Call a key guy or wrecker and miss the game? Not me. We left the damn thing running and went to the game. Ran out of gas while we were at the game, and I had to pay a bunch to a wrecker guy to get in and up and running--but it was worth it.

Don't ask.

This the winner so far.

Back during the 07 Finals, they had a game watching party at the AT&T Center for Game 4. Work ended just before tip time (I cant remember the exact time), but just to be safe, I called in sick. Problem was, my boss decided to go to the same game watching party after he was done working, so the whole game I had to avoid being put on the jumbotron and avoid being seen by him.

TwelveGs210
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
no different than some cow putting on her makeup and driving. Besides i perfected my technique during the world cup this year This. Women behind the wheel is bad enough, but add makeup to the equation and it's vehicular homicide/suicide waiting to happen..

not to start a male/female war, but 9/10 times some moron in front of me is doing something stupid as hell, pull up beside and its a stupid ass cunt on her cell phone yakkin it up.

SsKSpurs21
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
This the winner so far.

Back during the 07 Finals, they had a game watching party at the AT&T Center for Game 4. Work ended just before tip time (I cant remember the exact time), but just to be safe, I called in sick. Problem was, my boss decided to go to the same game watching party after he was done working, so the whole game I had to avoid being put on the jumbotron and avoid being seen by him.

HAHA, this happens to Elaine on Seinfeld!

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
This. Women behind the wheel is bad enough, but add makeup to the equation and it's vehicular homicide/suicide waiting to happen..

not to start a male/female war, but 9/10 times some moron in front of me is doing something stupid as hell, pull up beside and its a stupid ass cunt on her cell phone yakkin it up.

Well, actually, the thing is a bit more complicated, at least according to a telephone survey by AAMI Insurance Company:

- 55 per cent of men – 30 per cent of women – drink drive.
- 47 per cent of men – 38 per cent of women – have rudely gestured at other drivers.
- 84 per cent of men – 77 per cent of women – have crashed their vehicle,
- 51 per cent of men – 40 per cent of women – have been distracted by billboards while driving
- 46 per cent of men – 36 per cent of woman – admitted to verbally abusing another driver.
- 22 per cent of men – 15 per cent of women – admitted to using their mobile phones without hands-free accessories while driving.

polandprzem
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know if anything extraordinary but the games are at night here in Poland from 12 -4am mostly. So I was lacking some sleep and still do.

Still I do not have a chanel with NBA games and I have to use streams and sometimes they are F'ed up and you try to look for a goos one and sometimes you just have a night full of being pissed off.

Also I was going to my moms friends to watch games at night - in 2005 on crutches 30 minutes walk. Then I got a sleep of 2 hours then got up for the game [recording it as well] and then back home.
Good times

So many times as a kid I was waking up for ASG and Finals even though my Mom was against it. It was tough to outsmart her. But back then we only had ASGs and Finals live on tv.

F - right now I'm sitting on a night shift and NY game is at 1:30am
Not much happening this time of year so I will be able to watch the game.

diego
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
living in chile for the 05 finals, there was no broadcast, the only way to watch was to download the game after it was over, so together with a friend we asked for vacation and took a 7 hour bus to argentina and stayed there for almost a week to catch games 5, 6 and 7. It was well worth it, even though our family and friends thought we were crazy or gay. We only regret not having left sooner.

in 07 for the WCF, I was with my wife in a rural part of chile on vacation, there was one house in the closest town with a satelitte dish, I knocked on the door, the guy who lived there was a city guy that just moved out there, I explained to him I wanted to watch a game (game 2), we found it on ESPN and he let me stay to watch. After the game I offered him to go to our apartment in santiago and let us stay at his place, and he accepted. So not only did I get to watch the series, we got a free place to stay too, and to top it off I'm still friends with the guy (who ironically enough hates sports)

phyzik
01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, actually, the thing is a bit more complicated, at least according to a telephone survey by AAMI Insurance Company:

- 47 per cent of men – 38 per cent of women – have rudely gestured at other drivers.
- 51 per cent of men – 40 per cent of women – have been distracted by billboards while driving
- 46 per cent of men – 36 per cent of woman – admitted to verbally abusing another driver.
- 22 per cent of men – 15 per cent of women – admitted to using their mobile phones without hands-free accessories while driving.

So, the survey confirmed that there are a lot of women that lie about there driving habits. Gotcha.

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
So, the survey confirmed that there are a lot of women that lie about there driving habits. Gotcha.
Haha, it may well be. Or pehaps men lied to look bolder and tougher.

TwelveGs210
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM

This in a poll of ALL 11 customers..

Bukefal
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I've have f*cked up a lot of exams/tests, classes and other important things over the years because of staying up all night just to see the Spurs games and being a sleepless zombie the next day.

Anyway, nice to read all your stories :toast Great thread idea OP!

CosmicCowboy
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
1999. Long weekend fishing at the coast. 10am we are just KILLING the trout...I'd just caught a 28" speck and was hitting them on almost every cast. My buddy and I looked at our watches and looked at each other and without saying anything I started to pull the anchor...the other two guys were like WTF??? WHY ARE WE QUITTING? WTF? We just said "Spurs" and hauled ass to the landing, loaded the boat, got back to the fishing shack and watched Spurs/Portland on the little color TV and watched Sean E hit the Memorial Day Miracle.

LoneStarState'sPride
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Back in high school ('03-04), my family was living in Greece (do NOT get me started on that shithole of a country), and I'd get up at 2 or 3 in the morning just to watch Spurs' playoff games (provided I didn't slack off in school lol). Some of the best experiences of my life--me and my little brother turning the heaters on in the living room and silently cheering the Spurs while the family slept.

Well, in the case of the 2003 mavs series, not so quietly. Little bro went back to bed depressed when SA was down 15 in game 6 of that series, and I ended up waking him and the entire house up with my shouting when Steve Kerr decided to go nuts. As for the '04 playoffs.........well, we won't talk about .4 lol. Let's just say that that was a LONG fucking day :P

UnWantedTheory
01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I gave my wife away for the weekend to my boss "indecent proposal" style. That is how important the 05 Finals were to me.

UnWantedTheory
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Nah, I didn't....but looking back at our divorce, it probably would have been a good idea.

kjhip1
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I was in the hospital for 3 days and was worried that I would miss a playoff game between the spurs and the suns.

I had the nurse reel in a tv to my room. Thank God it was on local tv.

diddo for me on that one....I had just got out of surgery and was drugged up on morphine...had the nurse turn the TV on for the Spurs game...they laughed they're asses off at me..:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Traveled from Australia. Twice. Beat that! :lol

Manu-of-steel
01-04-2011, 10:15 PM
living in chile for the 05 finals, there was no broadcast, the only way to watch was to download the game after it was over, so together with a friend we asked for vacation and took a 7 hour bus to argentina and stayed there for almost a week to catch games 5, 6 and 7. It was well worth it, even though our family and friends thought we were crazy or gay. We only regret not having left sooner.

in 07 for the WCF, I was with my wife in a rural part of chile on vacation, there was one house in the closest town with a satelitte dish, I knocked on the door, the guy who lived there was a city guy that just moved out there, I explained to him I wanted to watch a game (game 2), we found it on ESPN and he let me stay to watch. After the game I offered him to go to our apartment in santiago and let us stay at his place, and he accepted. So not only did I get to watch the series, we got a free place to stay too, and to top it off I'm still friends with the guy (who ironically enough hates sports)
Cool, bro.

Manu-of-steel
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories. Toast to all the crazy spurs fans!

DMC
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Was pulling my boat to the Texas coast from Austin, listening to the Finals. Pulled over near the end of the game to listen to Manu's god like performance. My friend and I were on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere screaming "he's a fucking god".

Capt Bringdown
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Not exactly "crazy," but I sorta commandeered a TV satellite system at a Scandinavian bakery in Vientiane, Laos in order to watch a Spurs playoff game one morning back in 2003. Luckily ended up finding the game on Chinese TV.
If you're ever in Vientiane, I recommended The Scandinavian Bakery (http://www.scandinavianbakerylaos.com) for your baked goods/Spurs needs.

jimo2305
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
well the craziest thing i ever did was rush thru a test so i could submit it and catch the game in time.. this was when i was back in college

Spursmania
01-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Haha! :lol

Here's to the Spurs and the fans that will do whatever it takes to watch them play.:toast

carina_gino20
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
2008 Game 7 of NO series. Watched the game at a roadside eatery with my dad and bro because the cable provider of the hotel we were staying in didn't have the basketball channel. There was no way we were missing that game. :lol