PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to miss the playoffs??

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
The End of an Era: Why The San Antonio Spurs Will Miss The 2011 Playoffs

By Andrew Pierluissi (http://bleacherreport.com/users/9217-andrew-pierluissi)
(Featured Columnist) on July 22, 2010

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/994/175/98875946_crop_340x234.jpg?1279820522
Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Forever in sports history, the San Antonio Spurs of the late 1990’s and 2000’s will rank as one of the best NBA Basketball dynasties of all time. No question about. But all great things come to an end. The Spurs will not go down without a fight, but eventually will be beaten, hang up their gloves, and call it day.

It has not been the first time the Spurs have faced adversity. They have been counted out before. It happened at the start 2008-2009 season, and again in the 2009-2010. After surprising many experts in the first round of the 2010 playoffs, it will happen again in 2010-2011, but this time it will be different.

At the start of 2008 the Spurs were one year removed from being crowned NBA Champions. They have lost key championship run players in Robert Horry, Brent Barry, and Beno Udrih, while Bruce Bowen was already indicating his retirement. Yet, they pulled through a tough regular season and eventually were knocked off by Dallas in the first round.

In 2009, they were once again counted out while losing Bruce Bowen to retirement, and Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili coming off injuries that significantly slowed down their play, while also showing age was catching up to them. After posting an impressive performance against the Dallas Mavericks in the first round, they were ousted 4-0 by Phoenix in the second. It could have been lack of energy, age, experience, but San Antonio looked like a team ready to call it a decade.

This coming year, the roster did not go through major changes. They Spurs are about to see a few players walk away and only have Tiago Splitter at center and emerging players George Hill, Blair, Gee, and Hairston as any significant upgrade. They also have a year older Tim Duncan, and re-signed Manu Ginobili. Among these players there is no Robert Horry, Brent Barry, or Bruce Bowen.

The Western Conference will once again be reserved for teams that get close to the 50-win mark. While the Spurs have the ability to get it done, there are many “ifs” that can prevent this from happening. They will need a healthy Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, a refreshed Tony Parker, a more experienced George Hill, and a rejuvenated Richard Jefferson, and an NBA ready Tiago Splitter, not to mention a steadily improving bench.

The truth is that too many players on that list are a few years away from reaching their potential. And in two or three years, there will be no Tim Duncan, and possibly no prime Manu Ginobili. We might even see Tony Parker in another uniform with the amount of rumors going around regarding his future.

The Spurs have all the pieces they need to build for the future. Jefferson is still young, and their group of young players like Hill, Blair, Splitter, Gee, and others have enough upside to make the Spurs contenders in the near future. But their generation gap with Duncan and Ginobili will not match up.
The Spurs youngsters have a chance of a lifetime to spend the next 2 years next to one of the best power forward and intelligent players to ever play the game, and a shooting guard proven among the best in the NBA and internationally. They will also be coached by one of the best coaches in NBA history.

The Spurs will give it a shot this year and a chance for their players to show what they’ve got. Ultimately, it won’t be enough and they will miss the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Spurs fans, this is not a time to fear. Some dark years will come, but the Spurs will regain their form soon enough with fresh faces and young talent.

I understand many fans will disagree and feel quiet discouraged. Let me know your take on this commenting below. Feedback is appreciated and discussions are encouraged.

I think someone may have posted this a few months back for us to laugh at. Well, here it is, with much more laughs to throw at it LOL. He's a writer for the Mavs so no surprise really...

EJFischer
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Same author, a few months later: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/551514-nba-western-conference-power-shift-la-lakers-no-longer-team-to-beat

jimo2305
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Same author, a few months later: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/551514-nba-western-conference-power-shift-la-lakers-no-longer-team-to-beat

lol great.. now he's gonna be wrong about the lakers as well :(

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm sure if the Kings went on a 15 game winning streak, he would write an article saying they are the new team to beat. It's bleacher report, so you can take that for what it's worth.. which is basically nothing really.

tdunk21
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
i wonder why he still has his job after he is completely wrong.......

honestfool84
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
:lmao hahahaha.

itsamanuthree
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
what a douche

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone notice how the years on wrong in his column. In 2008 the Spurs lost to the Lakers in the WCF. In the first round they beat the Suns. Game 1, Tim for 3.

In 2009 they were ousted by Dallas.

In 2010 it was the Suns (finally).

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Anyone notice how the years on wrong in his column. In 2008 the Spurs lost to the Lakers in the WCF. In the first round they beat the Suns. Game 1, Tim for 3.

In 2009 they were ousted by Dallas.

In 2010 it was the Suns (finally).

You're right. He's even more of a dumbass than initially realized. :lol

Nathan Explosion
01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Also, Hollinger predicts the Spurs have no shot either.....of missing the playoffs.

hater
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
"The Spurs will give it a shot this year and a chance for their players to show what they’ve got. Ultimately, it won’t be enough and they will miss the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Spurs fans, this is not a time to fear. Some dark years will come, but the Spurs will regain their form soon enough with fresh faces and young talent.

I understand many fans will disagree and feel quiet discouraged. Let me know your take on this commenting below. Feedback is appreciated and discussions are encouraged."

:lmao

wow, some ppl are just pathetic

I remember hearing some commentators (ESPN, etc) saying Spurs might not make the playoffs.

hater
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
About Andrew

Hi, my name is Andrew, and I am a die-hard NBA fanatic. I have been following the NBA since my early years and hope to keep following it for years to come.

I commonly follow underdog teams with young talent. I like to make bold predictions and explore trade scenarios that would benefit all teams involved.

I mainly write about the Dallas Mavericks and the Western Conference teams. I am currently a Featured Columnist for the Dallas Mavericks team page.

I hope you enjoy my postings as much as I enjoyed writing them.

Andy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/009/217/andy_crop_257x257.jpg

mavfan :lmao

tdunk21
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
^ lol....that makes sense...another mav douche

easy7
01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Gee

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
About Andrew

Hi, my name is Andrew, and I am a die-hard NBA fanatic. I have been following the NBA since my early years and hope to keep following it for years to come.

I commonly follow underdog teams with young talent. I like to make bold predictions and explore trade scenarios that would benefit all teams involved.

I mainly write about the Dallas Mavericks and the Western Conference teams. I am currently a Featured Columnist for the Dallas Mavericks team page.

I hope you enjoy my postings as much as I enjoyed writing them.

Andy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/009/217/andy_crop_257x257.jpg

mavfan :lmao

this clown looks like manu but a wider face

hey he looks like that clown on that show 'numbers'

WildcardManu
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
A lot of grammar errors too.

Old School 44
01-04-2011, 01:52 PM
The Western Conference will once again be reserved for teams that get close to the 50-win mark. While the Spurs have the ability to get it done, there are many “ifs” that can prevent this from happening. They will need a healthy Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, a refreshed Tony Parker, a more experienced George Hill, and a rejuvenated Richard Jefferson, and an NBA ready Tiago Splitter, not to mention a steadily improving bench.

Actually, all his "ifs" came true, except the "NBA ready Splitter", but there's still time for that one to develop.

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Actually, all his "ifs" came true, except the "NBA ready Splitter", but there's still time for that one to develop.

Yeah, but he completely missed Gary Neal being a factor. But I think the same can be true for 99% of us fans as well. So, keep it up Neal! :toast

xmas1997
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Is he blind, deaf, and dumb???????????
Doesn't he even pay attention to the standings at all?
He doesn't even mention Neal or Anderson.
What a total idiot to think they won't even be in the playoffs with a record that is best in the league!

WeNeedLength
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Is he blind, deaf, and dumb???????????
Doesn't he even pay attention to the standings at all?
He doesn't even mention Neal or Anderson.
What a total idiot to think they won't even be in the playoffs with a record that is best in the league!

Well to be fair it was written way before the season started. But yes, he's still an idiot.

greyforest
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Andrew Pierluissi would not be a good fortune-teller.

galvatron3000
01-04-2011, 02:13 PM
"The Spurs will give it a shot this year and a chance for their players to show what they’ve got. Ultimately, it won’t be enough and they will miss the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

I understand many fans will disagree and feel quiet discouraged. Let me know your take on this commenting below. Feedback is appreciated and discussions are encouraged."

wow, some ppl are just pathetic

I remember hearing some commentators (ESPN, etc) saying Spurs might not make the playoffs.

This section you picked out is so hilarious. Obvious, Mavs fan writer hating on the team that eliminated his team from the playoffs in 2010 and MOST of the 2000's. Looks like his team maybe the team that COULD slipp out of the playoffs as the season continues...smh

TE
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Retard

Fabbs
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
i wonder why he still has his job after he is completely wrong.......
tough standards that sports journalist biz...:lol

xellos88330
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
He looks like a slimmer version of this guy...

AwwHy-PZTR8

DesignatedT
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

sa_butta
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Bleacherreport is horrible...

DMC
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
"They have lost key championship run players in Robert Horry, Brent Barry, and Beno Udrih, while Bruce Bowen was already indicating his retirement"

This is all you need to read to know this guy is a fucking tool. None of the guys he mentioned were wanted by any other team, certainly not as great players that could get you to the championship. They go the distance with the Spurs and suddenly they are necessary.

It reminds me of a tournament I fished a few years back. I was sitting at the weigh in with the biggest bass of the day so far, waiting to get bumped out so I could resume fishing, when this kid walks by with a bass about the size of the one I just weighed in. He caught it from the bank right behind the weigh in. He didn't have a boat. We all had 50K dollar boats and more tackle than Bass Pro Shops. One guy asks the kid "what were you using" and the kid says "a yellow spinner bait". They all had to dig out their yellow spinner baits.

Some people are so fucking clueless that they think the only way to win is to have what someone else has. In fishing we call that potlicking. Many teams potlick other teams to get these Trevor Ariza type players that don't do shit for them, but with Kobe and Gasol running the show, look like fucking Meadowlark Lemon. They acquire them for big pay, and then they dump them a year later when they realize the turd they passed on two years ago is still a turd.

The Spurs have found ways to win that no one else recognizes before it's too late. This author is just another ass clown in that long series of ass clowns to be shown the light way down the road.

Hind sight is 20/20.