PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson DID talk trash

thispego
01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Why did that last thread get closed?

There has not been a lot of losses this season so I feel like this is a legit topic.

What was the knicks shooting % tonight? No team is going to shoot like that with some sort of motivation.

UnSpurlike smacktalk by Jefferson.

You only been playing good one season, Rich, and you've been playing marginally good at that. Don't get cocky bc you're still making up for last year.

ALVAREZ6
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
He's got no business being cocky. He can barely ever create for himself.

Pop should shut him the fuck up

DMC
01-04-2011, 11:52 PM

There has not been a lot of losses this season so I feel like this is a legit topic.

What was the knicks shooting % tonight? No team is going to shoot like that with some sort of motivation.

You only been playing good one season, Rich, and you've been playing marginally good at that. Don't get cocky bc you're still making up for last year.
He wasn't talking trash. He was correcting a myth that the Knicks are a powerhouse. They aren't. They aren't anywhere close to what the Suns were and even the Suns didn't win shit. But because they went from nothing to something with the acquisition of Amar'e, suddenly people want to pretend they are a threat to win it all.

RJ is right. He played in NJ for years when NY was a better team than they were for the past several years.

He has a right to run his mouth. He's a Spur. You don't have to be drafted to be a Spur. How do you expect a guy to fit in if you keep him on the outside. Get over it. Move on.

ohmwrecker
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Why is everyone so stupid lately?

EricB
01-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Saying the Knicks haven't won anything since 1973 is talking trash?

Alrighty...

thispego
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
That's locker room board material. And again, rich has nothing to be cocky about

greyforest
01-05-2011, 12:07 AM
RJ was very dumb in that comment; that's the kind of thing that inspires teams. RJ needed to say they are great competitors, etc, that type BS since it plays in to the opponents' hands to say what you really think.

TE
01-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Stupid comment by RJ.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Who gives a shit? LOL @ locker room material for a regular season game in Jan.

That shit just validates what RJ said.

thispego
01-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Good for you, greyforest :tu

LongtimeSpursFan
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Muchado about nothing. Knicks are highly overrated because they play in the Big Apple. New Yorkers think that the world revolves around them. The Knicks are a mid level team that is not going to do much in the playoffs. If the Knicks need this type of material to get up for the best team in the league then they are not a well-coached team. But then again this is a Dantoni team.

DMC
01-05-2011, 12:13 AM
That's locker room board material. And again, rich has nothing to be cocky about
Says you. Prove it.

IF the Spurs hit 3 more of those 3pt shots, they are tied. Otherwise they played as good as New York.

If you are afraid to talk because you can BARELY beat a team and then only if they aren't up for the game... well, you fucking deserve to lose. I would rather know mid season that my team is a poser than find out in the 1st round, like Dallas/Cleveland does/did every year.

thispego
01-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Who gives a shit? LOL @ locker room material for a regular season game in Jan.

That shit just validates what RJ said.

Hey Manny, I'm spoiled now, I want to win every game for the rest of the season and 16 in the playoffs. Rich can talk his shit on his river barge.

thispego
01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Muchado about nothing. Knicks are highly overrated because they play in the Big Apple. New Yorkers think that the world revolves around them. The Knicks are a mid level team that is not going to do much in the playoffs. If the Knicks need this type of material to get up for the best team in the league then they are not a well-coached team. But then again this is a Dantoni team.

so spurs got outdominated by a mid level team. cool

and what do you mean by "this type of material"? Making every shot they take?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Hey Manny, I'm spoiled now, I want to win every game for the rest of the season and 16 in the playoffs. Rich can talk his shit on his river barge.

lol you said barge

Dex
01-05-2011, 12:22 AM
thispego = Crickets?

greyforest
01-05-2011, 12:25 AM
the spurs are usually very good at the diplomatic parts of competition. pop will kindly discuss this with RJ.

timaios
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM

You know what's more stupid... the Spurs record, 29-5 !
The Spurs have the best record in the NBA, and poor them, everyone in the league is motivated against the Spurs.

So why not lose some games, then everyone will be kind when they will play the Spurs. I think it's a good plan. :wakeup

DMC
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I think the Spurs should just bat their eyes and smile when asked about other teams. They should praise Baron Davis like he's Jordan because you don't want that team getting inspired to beat you.

21_Blessings
01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Dick is well-versed in winning championships.

Spursmania
01-05-2011, 01:23 AM

:lol

itzsoweezee
01-05-2011, 01:32 AM
This is one of the worst threads I've ever had the misfortune of clicking on.

urunobili
01-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Alrighty...

It is. You don't do that prior to a game to fire up the team you're playing against. that's what happened like it or not. You were all pissy yesterday when i predicted the Loss because of this, it's like math you know, in the NBA it happens that way.

I'm surprised that with your many years following basketball you don't know this. It's the ABC of motivation in sports.

I don't know about the game as much as you know, though i do know more than the average poster here about the spirit of an athlete and a team.

This loss is on RJ. PERIOD

Muser
01-05-2011, 07:12 AM
RJ's comments didn't cause everyone on the roster to play shitty D.

Texas_Ranger
01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
LOL @ it's Jefferson's fault cause they all sucked.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL @ it's Jefferson's fault cause they all sucked.

Rj's defense was HORRID. That's about all I can say about his game.

Anyone still think a first round pick is too much for Wilson Chandler? That guy KILLED US.

gameFACE
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree with RJ. Spurs have more championships than the Knocks. I mean what are they gonna do - show another Willis Reed clip if they make the playoffs. What a snore.

I guarantee the Knicks won't win like that again when they're in SA.

jag
01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
If what he said was perfectly fine then Popovich wouldnt have come out and corrected him. The FO obviously wasn't ok with it.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
If what he said was perfectly fine then Popovich wouldnt have come out and corrected him. The FO obviously wasn't ok with it.

When did they correct him? I saw the video of the initial comments from RJ, but wasn't aware they corrected him or said something about it.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
You can't just say shit like that without a link or a quote. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
You can't just say shit like that without a link or a quote. I'll believe it when I see it.

Believe what?

ElNono
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Alrighty...

It's not like if Kobe said "the Spurs haven't won shit since '07" you wouldn't be all over it. :rolleyes

Ice009
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
It's not like if Kobe said "the Spurs haven't won shit since '07" you wouldn't be all over it. :rolleyes

I even saw a Spurs fan in this forum write that the Knicks haven't been to the finals in over 15 years.

LOL how the fuck do you forget the Spurs played the Knicks in the 1999 finals?

Trill Clinton
01-05-2011, 09:26 AM
The fact this this was an up and coming team with a point to prove and they hosted the NBA's best team is pretty much why the knicks won. They didn't play intimidated and have been playing good ball all season. A loss to them this early in the season isn't really a big deal.

ElNono
01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
The fact this this was an up and coming team with a point to prove and they hosted the NBA's best team is pretty much why the knicks won. They didn't play intimidated and have been playing good ball all season. A loss to them this early in the season isn't really a big deal.

I don't think the loss itself is a big deal either. We only play them twice a season and they're unlikely to come out of the East anyways.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Believe what?

That Jefferson was admonished by Pop or the FO . . . what the fuck are we talking about here?!

Ice009
01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
That Jefferson was admonished by Pop or the FO . . . what the fuck are we talking about here?!

I have no idea about that, that is why I replied to JAG and asked him since he is the one saying it.

jag
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
When did they correct him? I saw the video of the initial comments from RJ, but wasn't aware they corrected him or said something about it.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/02/jefferson-not-buying-that-knicks-resurgence-is-good-for-nba/

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said that having the Knicks thriving is important to the health of the NBA.

“You have to be realistic,” Popovich said. “It’s a huge market. Having good basketball teams in huge markets like New York would be a no-brainder. It’s good for the sport. It’s good for everybody.”

I initially assumes Pop's comments were made after Jefferson's. I guess it doesn't say who commented first, but regardless there was still a difference of opinion on the matter. It's probably safe to assume Popovich doesn't want a player publicly sharing his negative opinions about another team's city. Especially when those opinions are contradictory to public statments made by Popovich.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/02/jefferson-not-buying-that-knicks-resurgence-is-good-for-nba/

I initially assumes Pop's comments were made after Jefferson's.

And . . . Fail.

jag
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
And . . . Fail.

So Popovich agreed with Jefferson?

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I have no idea about that, that is why I replied to JAG and asked him since he is the one saying it.

I was agreeing with you . . .

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
So Popovich agreed with Jefferson?

The bolded part of your statement never happened. You are trying to use two separate quotes as one being an answer to another when that is completely false. Both of those quotes came from the same shoot around session on the same day. Pop was not responding to Jefferson, he was answering a question.

There are 3 or 4 threads about this and not one has any quote from Pop, Spurs FO, or Knicks players stating that RJ's comments were out of line or used as a motivating factor in the game.

Not one.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
The counterpoint RJ was trying to make was that good teams in small markets are equally as good for the NBA as good teams in large markets.

As Spurs fans you should all agree

Shitheads.

hater
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
so what if he did talk trash????

did we lose the game cause of it???

wake the fuck up

jag
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
You do realize the point is whether or not RJ should have made those comments, right? It doesn't matter if random Spurs fan agrees with what he said or not.

It's fairly obvious that Pop would rather players not make negative comments publicly about other cities. It doesn't help matters that they were in disagreement.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
You do realize the point is whether or not RJ should have made those comments, right? It doesn't matter if random Spurs fan agrees with what he said or not.

No, that's not the point as I see it. He was asked a question and gave an honest, intelligent answer. It wasn't "trash talk", he didn't insult anybody and he told the truth. I don't see the problem.

It's fairly obvious that Pop would rather players not make negative comments publicly about other cities. It doesn't help matters that they were in disagreement.

Is it obvious? Are they in disagreement? They gave two different answers to the same question. That is not a disagreement by any standard. Pop gave a diplomatic answer. RJ gave an honest answer. That is all that happened.

hater
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
You do realize the point is whether or not RJ should have made those comments, right?

who are we to judge that? do you seriously feel empowered enough to be able to judge that??

Possible. But that's Pop's call. Us fans have no position to bitch. The team got asses beat Dick smack or not.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
The counterpoint RJ was trying to make was that good teams in small markets are equally as good for the NBA as good teams in large markets.

As Spurs fans you should all agree

Shitheads.

I agree with you. I think he was saying just because they are in New York doesn't make them any more important than the other teams in the NBA. He didn't say it too well though.

Killakobe81
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
LOL scapegoating RJ ...

i know it's the Spur way to nut ruffle feathers ...but there was nothing wrong with what he said ...compared to what Pierce said RJ's comments were mundane. the problem is Pierce backed his up with an all-star performance ...RJ witha solid rotation player's performance.

Spurs were due for a bad loss ...no need to overreact HCA through the finals is still the spurs to lose

jag
01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
No, that's not the point as I see it. He was asked a question and gave an honest, intelligent answer. It wasn't "trash talk", he didn't insult anybody and he told the truth. I don't see the problem.

I don't think he should have made comments that could have been taken negatively by a team the Spurs were about to play. It doesn't benefit anyone.

His feelings about NY not winning anything since the 70's shouldn't be a headline the day before a game.

Is it obvious? Are they in disagreement? The gave two different answers to the same question. That is not a disagreement by any standard.

By the definition of "disagreement" their comments were in disagreement.

8FOR!3
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Rj's defense was HORRID. That's about all I can say about his game.

Anyone still think a first round pick is too much for Wilson Chandler? That guy KILLED US.

Chandler's definitely worth a 1st round pick.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't think he should have made comments that could have been taken negatively by a team the Spurs were about to play. It doesn't benefit anyone.

Gross misinterpretation doesn't change what he said.

His feelings about NY not winning anything since the 70's shouldn't be a headline the day before a game.

Where? I've been asking for a link and no one can provide it.

By the definition of "disagreement" their comments were in disagreement.

Wrong. Pop would have had to make his comment in response to RJ's for there to be a disagreement between the two. They gave two different answers to the same question without awareness of what the other said. Also, there are no real diametrically opposed ideas between the two separate comments.

BlairForceDejuan
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
The Truth Hurts.

jag
01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Where? I've been asking for a link and no one can provide it.

not that hard really

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/r-j-unimpressed-with-new-york-revival-1.2583523

Wrong. Pop would have had to make his comment in response to RJ's for there to be a disagreement between the two. They gave two different answers to the same question without awareness of what the other said. Also, there are no real diametrically opposed ideas between the two separate comments.

I didn't say there was a disagreement between the two people involved. I said their comments were in disagreement. You get that right? Regardless, there was an obvious difference of opinion which became public.

Do you think Pop liked that?

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I didn't say there was a disagreement between the two people involved. I said their comments were in disagreement. You get that right? Regardless, there was an obvious difference of opinion which became public.

You do understand the difference, right?

Do you think Pop liked that?

I have no idea since the link you provided, once again, fails to prove . . .

a) That Pop and/or the Spurs FO had a problem with RJ's comments

b) The Knicks staff or players used RJ's comments as a motivating factor.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
lol bloggers

jag
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I take it you don't realize that Newsday is the daily newspaper in Long Island?

a) That Pop and/or the Spurs FO had a problem with RJ's comments

So you actually think Pop liked that RJ made those comments? And please link to a quote where I mention anything about the Knicks players or staff using RJ's comments as a motivating factor.

cube1980
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM

+1. Given the fact that the Knicks' shoot was hot even when they played against the Celtics last time (FG: 53%, 3P: 39%).

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Was that article in the paper or on the blog? It still proves nothing. This is really a semantic argument at this point tbh.

So you actually think Pop liked that RJ made those comments? And please link to a quote where I mention anything about the Knicks players or staff using RJ's comments as a motivating factor.

I don't know if Pop liked it or not.However, since there is nothing "controversial" about what RJ said, I can't imagine that Pop cares one way or the other. I am sure that Pop is more upset about the way the team performed.

The link I asked for was one that confirms or denies the two criteria I mentioned. Whether that is your opinion or not is irrelevant.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 11:43 AM
The FACT remains that Pop and RJ made their two individual comments without prior knowledge of what the other had said. Finding an article that assumes that one was in response to the other is irrelevant and bad journalism to boot.

thispego
01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
lol at needing proof that knicks used rj's comments as motivation.

D'antoni loves that shit... "...and Richard Jefferson unzipping his fly and relieving himself on the notion that basketball was back in New York." :lmao

honestly, when is the last time a spur player had anything even mildly negative to say about another team? It's not a big deal, just one loss, but we definitely could have done without it.

LOL at spur fans getting just as cocky and complacent as rj, I guarantee you pop told rj behind closed doors to stfu and be humble.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
lol at needing proof that knicks used rj's comments as motivation. I guarantee you pop told rj behind closed doors to stfu and be humble.

Link?

ajh18
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Personally, I think that RJ wasn't taking a swipe at NY as much as the media. It's not the team's fault ESPN considers them a powerhouse, with "basketball back in NY" with a team that was positioned to be seeded sixth in their conference.

Pop just took the perspective that because of the market size of NY, of course that kind of hype is going to happen. And also because of the market's size, a decent team in NYC is going to benefit the league as a whole.

thispego
01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Link?

Zelda?

thispego
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Personally, I think that RJ wasn't taking a swipe at NY as much as the media. It's not the team's fault ESPN considers them a powerhouse, with "basketball back in NY" with a team that was positioned to be seeded sixth in their conference.

Pop just took the perspective that because of the market size of NY, of course that kind of hype is going to happen. And also because of the market's size, a decent team in NYC is going to benefit the league as a whole.

I'd be happy if that were the case but regardless of what Jefferson meant, NY media used it to insult and motivate their team

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
And the dumb just keeps on rollin'!

thispego
01-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm right, you're wrong, end of discussion. Thanks for participating, kid. :p

DMC
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM

I never understood why people resort to shifting the burden of proof. The argument is that Pop didn't like the comments. When told that evidence has not been shown to support that argument, you resort to shifting the burden to the other person to prove Pop does like it.

I also don't see any reason to think RJ's comments made a difference. People don't hit more shots because they are motivated. Motivated people still miss shots.

I think people with little basketball knowledge, little common sense and naught for reasoning skills spend way too much time dissecting games like these.

DMC
01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm right, you're wrong, end of discussion. Thanks for participating, kid. :p

Is "thispego" Spanish for "this prick"?

DMC
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
lol at needing proof that knicks used rj's comments as motivation.

D'antoni loves that shit... "...and Richard Jefferson unzipping his fly and relieving himself on the notion that basketball was back in New York." :lmao

honestly, when is the last time a spur player had anything even mildly negative to say about another team? It's not a big deal, just one loss, but we definitely could have done without it.

LOL at spur fans getting just as cocky and complacent as rj, I guarantee you pop told rj behind closed doors to stfu and be humble.

Your guarantee and a condom can prevent unwanted pregnancy.

jag
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I never understood why people resort to shifting the burden of proof. The argument is that Pop didn't like the comments. When told that evidence has not been shown to support that argument, you resort to shifting the burden to the other person to prove Pop does like it.

I also don't see any reason to think RJ's comments made a difference. People don't hit more shots because they are motivated. Motivated people still miss shots.

I think people with little basketball knowledge, little common sense and naught for reasoning skills spend way too much time dissecting games like these.

I already admitted I was wrong in thinking Pop made those comments as a way of correcting RJ. I don't know who made which comment first.

I simply find it hard to believe that Popovich approved of RJ making those comments. Especially considering it was essentially the opposite of what Pop said.

spurtech09
01-05-2011, 02:02 PM
can't believe your still talking about the knicks lol....one loss and spurs fans already losing there minds.....get over it....you win some and you lose some....now lets move on and get ready for boston

DJB
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM

DMC
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
I already admitted I was wrong in thinking Pop made those comments as a way of correcting RJ. I don't know who made which comment first.

I simply find it hard to believe that Popovich approved of RJ making those comments. Especially considering it was essentially the opposite of what Pop said.
You don't have to agree with someone's opinion to understand why they feel that way. Pop could approve, just not agree.

jjktkk
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
I thought RJ was smacktalking alittle bit, but to each their own. It is just how each individual interepts his comments. We as Spurs fans are just not use to Spurs players talking shit. At least to the media, etc...

Mel_13
01-22-2011, 10:27 AM
RJ was right.

JR3
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
What Jefferson said was the truth! BUT he has not yet learned how to be a Spur! Spurs DON"T CARE what the media is saying or what teams they are over rating. So they don't say anything about it. It has helped us fly under the radar. So its bothersome that Jefferson didn't deflect it like a real Spur would.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Well, it's good that RJ was mixing it up, being a little outspoken. In my opinion, he wasn't trying to offend them, he was trying to point out the idiocy of the NBA and the media hyping up the Knicks because they got a few wins, & it must be frustrating, when you're on the team who is coasting to the HCA, but a mediocre team like the Knicks gets more mention, more recognition. In this strange world, the media still thinks the Spurs are "getting lucky".

So I say, talk all you want RJ, fuck the establishment.

Spurs da champs
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Calm the fuck down, RJ hasn't been getting the ball much and what's wrong with talking shit btw? We've had way too many pussies on the team for a while.

bigdog
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Stating facts is not talking trash.

DMC
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
What Jefferson said was the truth! BUT he has not yet learned how to be a Spur! Spurs DON"T CARE what the media is saying or what teams they are over rating. So they don't say anything about it. It has helped us fly under the radar. So its bothersome that Jefferson didn't deflect it like a real Spur would.
I don't like this stance. There's no such thing as a "Spur" in human terms. It's a franchise of players, all of whom have distinct personalities. They hired RJ knowing full well his personality., RJ cannot simply morph into what fans think a Spur should be on and off the court.

Should a Spur sext his teammate's wife? Of course not. No one should. It's not about being a Spur. It's about contributing to the team. Be who you are, but contribute to the team. Does your workplace expect you to change who you are on and off the job? (some do).

Also, the whole "under the radar" thing is fucking stupid. Who here that knows a fucking thing about this game actually believes that other teams aren't aware of the Spurs? Raise your hands so I can slap the hell out of you for being so stupid.

These myths get repeated so often that people start believing them. They are talking points, mostly false though.