PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man with golden radio voice

Bukefal
01-05-2011, 08:13 AM
uTysXITBCmk

Smooth Talking Homeless Man Finds Fame

A homeless man in the US has become an internet hit after using his "God-given gift of voice" to beg for money.

Ted Williams was spotted by a videographer in Columbus, Ohio and filmed delivering his smooth baritone for spare change.

The video of him giving voiceover lines has been viewed over 400,000 times and he is being chased to appear on several television chat shows.
In it he says he become obsessed with radio as a teenager after meeting a station announcer who looked nothing like his voice would suggest.

"He said to me: 'Radio is defined as theatre of mind'," Williams added.
"I can't be an actor, I can't be an on-air personality. The voice became something of a development."

Williams said he attended broadcasting school but problems with alcohol, drugs and "a few other things" ended his ambitions. He now claims to have been sober for two years and begs for money with a sign saying: "I have a God-given gift of voice.

"I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times. Please! Any help will be greatly appreciated."

Local newspaper the Columbus Dispatch says Williams is wanted by WBNS-TV to narrate promotional spots during its first ever 'One Day To End Homelessness' telethon on Jan 31.
He has also received a $10,000 (£6,398) offer for voiceover work from the Ohio Credit Union League.

"We're on pins and needles," said Tony Florentino from local radio station WNCI.
"I think he really has no idea how big this is going to be."

Bukefal
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
'Golden-voiced' homeless man lands radio spot

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Internet video of a homeless man showing off his self-described "God-given gift of a great voice" has landed him a spot on a local radio show.

A reporter from the Columbus Dispatch came across Ted Williams while Williams was panhandling near Interstate 71 recently. Williams was carrying a sign explaining he was a former radio announcer who had fallen on hard times.
"Any help will be gratefully appreciated," the sign said.

A roadside interview on YouTube demonstrates the homeless man isn't exaggerating. He's as smooth as any announcer heard on radio or television.
The popularity of the "the voice" video has soared on the Internet, spawning coverage in the N.Y. Daily Post and CBS News.

Williams said he grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., and at 14 took a field trip to a radio station. While there, he was struck that one of the on-air announcers looked nothing like he sounded.

"Radio is a theater of the mind," the worker said. Williams was hooked. He said it took years to develop his voice and he also "went to school for it."

"Alcohol and drugs — and few other things — became my life," he said, but since has "been two years clean."

Now, he will get another chance to unleash his voice on radio again and possibly even something more promising.

A morning radio show in Columbus called " Dave and Jimmy" plans to interview "the homeless man with the awesome voice" in studio on Wednesday, CBS reported.

"We're going to find some way to help this guy!" Dave and Jimmy said on their Facebook page.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40916364/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/

ashbeeigh
01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
He'll land a job...be employed for maybe 6 months and hen fall off the wagon because he has no support system.

BlackSwordsMan
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh wow Ash. So mean.

BlackSwordsMan
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Through christ anything is possible. Amen.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
He'll land a job...be employed for maybe 6 months and hen fall off the wagon because he has no support system.
Man, what a _______. Are you still battling the bulge? :wakeup

SourCandy
01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Saw this on inside edition last night. great voice. At least guy is trying,or appears so.

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM
He could do voice overs for movies. :tu

mrsmaalox
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Ash is being pretty realistic. I don't remember and haven't checked recently, but isn't the rate of recidivism usually greater than 65%? The way the economy is now, it can only be higher.

Hopefully, with this exposure, someone will accept the responsibility to become the support system for this man or he won't make it. Just putting him on tv doesn't do anything.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
eh

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
The Cleveland Cavaliers offered him a job and a house. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
hopefully a support system as well............

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
:toast

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Let's make it official.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15605

mrsmaalox
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Why are you being so snarky about that?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Grab yourself another K-cup.

boutons_deux
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
If he finds Christ, he doesn't need a job or money, right? He will meekly inherit the earth, like any meek "Christian".

If he could catch some after-hours infomercials, maybe in a store window, he could get some Miracle Spring Water, or even better, a Green Prosperity Handkerchief.

Somebody send this guys some Ayn Rand novels, all will be OK.

Jesus
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
through christ anything is possible. Amen.

+1

JudynTX
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
:)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/05/earlyshow/main7215450.shtml

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
:)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/05/earlyshow/main7215450.shtml

Awesome. I wish him alllllll the best. :tu

Sal Monella
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Good for him.

ashbeeigh
01-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Man, what a _______. Are you still battling the bulge? :wakeup

I was just being honest. I wish the guy the best. He has a pretty awesome voice...and cool hair. And yes. I'm still going to the gym.

Ash is being pretty realistic. I don't remember and haven't checked recently, but isn't the rate of recidivism usually greater than 65%? The way the economy is now, it can only be higher.

Hopefully, with this exposure, someone will accept the responsibility to become the support system for this man or he won't make it. Just putting him on tv doesn't do anything.

I don't know what the recidivism rate is either but I think we're on the same track. Part of recovery is having someone who supports you through recovery and if you don't have people to tell you that you're doing well or to take you out of the environment where there is alcohol or drugs you can't get better.

They were talking about this on 96.1 this morning (Kidd Kraddick). They mentioned that back in the day DJs were alcoholics and didn't have their shit together and that this guy isn't out of the ordinary. DJs would get trashed and then sleep on the couch in a sales person's office. I just hope that he doesn't repeat the cycle.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I highly doubt that no one would support him. I mean damn, isn't the two years of sobriety he spoke of speak any volumes to anyone?????? Must've had a pretty damn good support system while he was a frickin' bum, right? Geez Louise.

Dex
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I saw the video of this guy a couple days ago before news of all the jobs got out, and I figured he would find SOME work due to it, but had no idea he would blow up like that.

Still, seems like a nice guy who just made some mistakes. Everybody deserves a second chance. Cool story.

timvp
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Word is he turned down that job with the Cavs. He decided to take his talents to South Beach.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/evanescence_ep/Emoticons/drum-1.gif

Kori Ellis
01-05-2011, 02:46 PM

What a weird comment. He's been clean for two years, why would you think he'd fall off the wagon in six months? How do you know that he hasn't been going to AA or had a support system in the last two years?

Spurminator
01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Let's all enjoy this story while it's still in the "feel good" stage, because the "let's thoroughly dissect his past, hey wait, he's not THAT homeless, did you know he was an accused sex offender in 1972, why does he have a cellphone anyway" stage is forthcoming... because we can't resist.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
what a weird comment. He's been clean for two years, why would you think he'd fall off the wagon in six months? How do you know that he hasn't been going to aa or had a support system in the last two years?

thank you
thank you
thank you

fraga
01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
His voice really could replace that movie trailer guy...he's just..THAT...GOOD...

JoeChalupa
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I hope he stays clean and makes the most of this opportunity.

ashbeeigh
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
What a weird comment. He's been clean for two years, why would you think he'd fall off the wagon in six months? How do you know that he hasn't been going to AA or had a support system in the last two years?

It was more of an opinion.Could be 6 months, could be 2 more years. I don't know. I don't know that he doesn't have a support system either. It's just from experience and research, like maalox said.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
His voice really could replace that movie trailer guy...he's just..THAT...GOOD...

He's dead.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
It was more of an opinion.Could be 6 months, could be 2 more years. I don't know. I don't know that he doesn't have a support system either. It's just from experience and research, like maalox said.

For f@ck sakes, man.

Blake
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM

If you read the current stories, he has been offered a job by the NFL among plenty of other suitors. If the NFL doesn't have a solid enough support system set up to help this guy, nobody does.

fraga
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
He's dead.

Uh yeah I know...that's why I said he could replace that guy...

ashbeeigh
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
If you read the current stories, he has been offered a job by the NFL among plenty of other suitors. If the NFL doesn't have a solid enough support system set up to help this guy, nobody does.

I never said I wasn't in the guy's corner. I applaud happy endings. The story just hasn't ended yet. I want to know where he is January 4, 2013. That's all I'm saying.

For f@ck sakes, man.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, Viva. And You know there isn't a filter at ST. You can say fuck.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Uh yeah I know...that's why I said he could replace that guy...

He's been replaced as well.......

Blake
01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I never said I wasn't in the guy's corner. I applaud happy endings. The story just hasn't ended yet. I want to know where he is January 4, 2013. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't say you weren't rooting for him.

You questioned if he will have a support system. I'm telling you that based on what I am seeing, he probably will have access to one.

ohmwrecker
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
http://dlisted.com/node/40282

Sisk
01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
http://dlisted.com/node/40282

:lmao Hot slut of the day

That guy's voice is incredible imho

Viva Las Espuelas
01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry to rain on your parade, Viva. And You know there isn't a filter at ST. You can say fuck. Oh you're not raining on my parade. I'm just recalling you whining like an old whore about whatever stupid things you've whined about in the past and getting all pissy when everyone "ganged up" on you. Plus, this is probably the best thing that's happened to the guy, probably ever, and you're already pissing on him. Yeah, what should I care?, but for someone that didn't care for being pissed on in the past, figurative not literally, you sure do have a disconnect from those same feelings now that you have a job and things are, I'm assuming, going well for you. In other words, quit being a fucking Debbie Downer, Juggs.

fraga
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Mmmmm...juggs...

ashbeeigh
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Oh you're not raining on my parade. I'm just recalling you whining like an old whore about whatever stupid things you've whined about in the past and getting all pissy when everyone "ganged up" on you. Plus, this is probably the best thing that's happened to the guy, probably ever, and you're already pissing on him. Yeah, what should I care?, but for someone that didn't care for being pissed on in the past, figurative not literally, you sure do have a disconnect from those same feelings now that you have a job and things are, I'm assuming, going well for you. In other words, quit being a fucking Debbie Downer, Juggs.

I'm just being a realist.

BlackSwordsMan
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
I thought it said racist at first until I re-read your post.

DisAsTerBot
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I thought it said racist at first until I re-read your post.

mouse
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
The man will do fine as long as he doesn't do an Allen Iverson parody on the ticket, or say "nappy headed ho's" live on the radio.

One thing is for sure those other homeless guys have their work cut out for them.

But the truth is ashbeeigh does bring up a great point all the breaks and money in the world can't help you if your weak and are determined to find a way to fuck things up.
Just look at Lindsay Lohan and others who win the Lotto.

Change must come from within.

oh crap
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
i don't think this bum is going to change his stripes long term. more likely scenario is he ends up found in one of these

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlA3rM_J7tDY_mZGunu4u-_GsqgXY_QjPnmBwmez-dt4PfgVoFyw

Viva Las Espuelas
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
If I may.....
Sorry for the long read, but it's a great article.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CNN) -- By now, millions of Americans have heard from Ted Williams.
He's "the homeless man with the golden voice," a panhandler whose stunning vocal skills were recorded for an impromptu video that's netted at least 4 million views on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTysXITBCmk&feature=player_embedded).
But what about the good Samaritan with the video camera?
What made him stop for Williams on a dreary, overcast day when scores of people ignored the African-American homeless man during the peak of the Christmas season?
It turns out that Doral Chenoweth III, the man who filmed Williams, has a story of his own.
Videographer has played this part before
Five weeks ago, Chenoweth was returning home from Lowe's with his wife, Robin, when he spotted a thin man with wild, unruly hair at an intersection. The man held a cardboard sign that read, "I have a God-given gift of voice. ..."
"Hey, I'm going to make you work for your dollar," Chenoweth said as he rolled down his window and took out his flip camera. "Let me hear you say something."
What comes out of Williams' mouth is startling. It's a rich, baritone that doesn't match his craggy exterior at all. His enunciation is crisp, his tone smooth as suede.
Williams isn't holding that cardboard sign anymore.
After Chenoweth posted the video, it went viral. Williams did interviews on national television and radio. (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05/homeless-man-with-golden-voice-lights-up-web-gets-job-offers/) He's received several jobs offers, including one that comes with a home. A reunion with his 92-year-old mother is being arranged.
But the other character in this contemporary parable had played this part before.
"The first time we dated, he stopped and gave a blanket from the back of his car to a man who was homeless," said Robin Chenoweth. "I thought to myself, if he has this kind of compassion for a man on the street, he's going to make a great husband and father."
Chenoweth is paid to notice people. He's a multimedia producer for The Columbus Dispatch (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/multimedia/video/video.html?videoUrl=http://www.dispatch.com/live/export-content/sites/dispatch/videos/2011/01/03/golden-homeless-voice-092457.xml) newspaper in Ohio. He said he stopped because he thought Williams might make a good video.
Still, he wasn't so sure after the filming. He said he sat on the video for five weeks until he finally decided to use it because it was a slow news week. Then he watched the video take off.
"I never anticipated this," he said. "A week ago, he was living in a tent behind a station in the middle of December, and now he's being flown to New York and his video is everywhere."
Looking through the lens of faith
But the reason Chenoweth stopped goes deeper than his job.
It's "standard operating procedure" for him, he said, to stop and talk to people who are homeless, whether he's carrying a camera or not.
"It's part of my faith," he said after some prodding about his motivations. "You may not be able to help someone with money, but you can at least say hello, how you doing, and look at them."
About 14 years ago, Chenoweth said he was assigned to photograph a homeless ministry at New Life United Methodist Church in downtown Columbus. He was so impressed by the ability of the 50-member congregation to help the homeless that he and his wife joined.
The church's pastor said that Chenoweth routinely invites people who are homeless to the church for meals and medical attention. He's also photographed people on the street and displayed their photographs to emphasize their humanity, said the Rev. Jennifer Kimball Casto, New Life's pastor.
When asked if she was surprised by Chenoweth's action, Casto said: "Absolutely not. Doral has a special heart for people who are homeless and in need."
Chenoweth's concern for people goes beyond Columbus, and even the United States. His wife said they are regular Habitat for Humanity volunteers. They've also taken seven trips to Africa with their two children, Cassie, 12, and Kurtis, 10, to serve impoverished communities. Chenoweth has documented many of the trips on his website (http://doralchenoweth.com/).
"He's taken me all over the world," Robin Chenoweth said. "He's a fabulous husband. It's the best decision of my life to be with him."
Chenoweth sounds thrilled to see where the new-found fame will take Williams.
He had a reunion with Williams after their video went viral. A local radio station interviewed Williams, and Chenoweth was there for the interview.
"We had a big hug and shook hands," Chenoweth said. "He almost cried when he saw me."
Chenoweth was watching a local radio station interview Williams when he saw something that touched him.
"He still has my business card," Chenoweth said. "He's been carrying it the whole five weeks since I gave it to him. He was carrying it right in his fingertips."
Filming a visual parable
The Rev. Tom Long, a professor of preachingat the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, watched the video of Chenoweth's encounter and saw a visual parable unfold. It reminded him of Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan.
In the parable, a Samaritan, a group of people hated by many first-century Jews, stops to help an helpless man wounded by robbers after two Jewish religious leaders -- a Levite and a priest -- pass the man by. The story was shocking because the hero was a villain (imagine the parable of the Good Crack Dealer).
Chenoweth didn't see Williams as "visual white noise" to tune out, Long said. "He sees possibilities others don't see and acts on them and, wow, here we go," Long said.
Long said there's more to the story than the importance of treating people in need with compassion because miracles may happen. "His (Chenoweth) experiences expose what is already true about people, that even an homeless person who doesn't have a golden throat is nonetheless a child of God."
Casto, Chenoweth's pastor at New Life, said Chenoweth taught another lesson with his encounter with a panhandler.
"We are all broken in some way, but we are also gifted in some way," she said. "Mr. Williams is a perfect example of that."

Ignignokt
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, Viva. And You know there isn't a filter at ST. You can say fuck.

with floppy tits and a crack whore smile, you'd have to rely on happy endings ashbeeighSON.

JudynTX
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
If I may.....
Sorry for the long read, but it's a great article.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CNN) -- By now, millions of Americans have heard from Ted Williams.
He's "the homeless man with the golden voice," a panhandler whose stunning vocal skills were recorded for an impromptu video that's netted at least 4 million views on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTysXITBCmk&feature=player_embedded).
But what about the good Samaritan with the video camera?
What made him stop for Williams on a dreary, overcast day when scores of people ignored the African-American homeless man during the peak of the Christmas season?
It turns out that Doral Chenoweth III, the man who filmed Williams, has a story of his own.
Videographer has played this part before
Five weeks ago, Chenoweth was returning home from Lowe's with his wife, Robin, when he spotted a thin man with wild, unruly hair at an intersection. The man held a cardboard sign that read, "I have a God-given gift of voice. ..."
"Hey, I'm going to make you work for your dollar," Chenoweth said as he rolled down his window and took out his flip camera. "Let me hear you say something."
What comes out of Williams' mouth is startling. It's a rich, baritone that doesn't match his craggy exterior at all. His enunciation is crisp, his tone smooth as suede.
Williams isn't holding that cardboard sign anymore.
After Chenoweth posted the video, it went viral. Williams did interviews on national television and radio. (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05/homeless-man-with-golden-voice-lights-up-web-gets-job-offers/) He's received several jobs offers, including one that comes with a home. A reunion with his 92-year-old mother is being arranged.
But the other character in this contemporary parable had played this part before.
"The first time we dated, he stopped and gave a blanket from the back of his car to a man who was homeless," said Robin Chenoweth. "I thought to myself, if he has this kind of compassion for a man on the street, he's going to make a great husband and father."
Chenoweth is paid to notice people. He's a multimedia producer for The Columbus Dispatch (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/multimedia/video/video.html?videoUrl=http://www.dispatch.com/live/export-content/sites/dispatch/videos/2011/01/03/golden-homeless-voice-092457.xml) newspaper in Ohio. He said he stopped because he thought Williams might make a good video.
Still, he wasn't so sure after the filming. He said he sat on the video for five weeks until he finally decided to use it because it was a slow news week. Then he watched the video take off.
"I never anticipated this," he said. "A week ago, he was living in a tent behind a station in the middle of December, and now he's being flown to New York and his video is everywhere."
Looking through the lens of faith
But the reason Chenoweth stopped goes deeper than his job.
It's "standard operating procedure" for him, he said, to stop and talk to people who are homeless, whether he's carrying a camera or not.
"It's part of my faith," he said after some prodding about his motivations. "You may not be able to help someone with money, but you can at least say hello, how you doing, and look at them."
About 14 years ago, Chenoweth said he was assigned to photograph a homeless ministry at New Life United Methodist Church in downtown Columbus. He was so impressed by the ability of the 50-member congregation to help the homeless that he and his wife joined.
The church's pastor said that Chenoweth routinely invites people who are homeless to the church for meals and medical attention. He's also photographed people on the street and displayed their photographs to emphasize their humanity, said the Rev. Jennifer Kimball Casto, New Life's pastor.
When asked if she was surprised by Chenoweth's action, Casto said: "Absolutely not. Doral has a special heart for people who are homeless and in need."
Chenoweth's concern for people goes beyond Columbus, and even the United States. His wife said they are regular Habitat for Humanity volunteers. They've also taken seven trips to Africa with their two children, Cassie, 12, and Kurtis, 10, to serve impoverished communities. Chenoweth has documented many of the trips on his website (http://doralchenoweth.com/).
"He's taken me all over the world," Robin Chenoweth said. "He's a fabulous husband. It's the best decision of my life to be with him."
Chenoweth sounds thrilled to see where the new-found fame will take Williams.
He had a reunion with Williams after their video went viral. A local radio station interviewed Williams, and Chenoweth was there for the interview.
"We had a big hug and shook hands," Chenoweth said. "He almost cried when he saw me."
Chenoweth was watching a local radio station interview Williams when he saw something that touched him.
"He still has my business card," Chenoweth said. "He's been carrying it the whole five weeks since I gave it to him. He was carrying it right in his fingertips."
Filming a visual parable
The Rev. Tom Long, a professor of preachingat the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, watched the video of Chenoweth's encounter and saw a visual parable unfold. It reminded him of Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan.
In the parable, a Samaritan, a group of people hated by many first-century Jews, stops to help an helpless man wounded by robbers after two Jewish religious leaders -- a Levite and a priest -- pass the man by. The story was shocking because the hero was a villain (imagine the parable of the Good Crack Dealer).
Chenoweth didn't see Williams as "visual white noise" to tune out, Long said. "He sees possibilities others don't see and acts on them and, wow, here we go," Long said.
Long said there's more to the story than the importance of treating people in need with compassion because miracles may happen. "His (Chenoweth) experiences expose what is already true about people, that even an homeless person who doesn't have a golden throat is nonetheless a child of God."
Casto, Chenoweth's pastor at New Life, said Chenoweth taught another lesson with his encounter with a panhandler.
"We are all broken in some way, but we are also gifted in some way," she said. "Mr. Williams is a perfect example of that."

Cool story bro. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Sure is, Judy. Sure is.

Zelophehad
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

tbh if he was clean for two years while homeless he probably didn't even have a support system. That would speak volumes as to well he would do if they tried to even give him a basic one.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
That!!!

fraga
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
He's from....THE FUTURE!!!

oh crap
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
lol everyone getting emotionally invested in an alcoholic and crack head. this guy can be found on every corner here in austin, everyone of em motherfuckers got a trick or two. dude would be dime a dozen here. lol feel good story. can't wait for his 15 minutes to expire so he can be alone with his crack pipe again.

Clandestino
01-07-2011, 06:36 AM
I side with assbeigh... the only reason he is on the streets is bc his habits were too expensive... as soon as he gets money he will go back to partying and do the same shit all over again...motherfucker has 9 kids!!! That means he doesn't learn for shit!

fraga
01-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I actually had a white lady say that to me yesterday...you know...he looks like Obama...mahahahaha...

ashbeeigh
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Behind golden-voiced Ted Williams is ex-wife Patricia Kirtley, the story's real hero

Joanna Molloy

Friday, January 7th 2011, 4:00 AM

Patricia Kirtley raised her and Ted Williams' four daughters, as well as one of the children he had with a druggie girlfriend.

Patricia Kirtley raised her and Ted Williams' four daughters, as well as one of the children he had with a druggie girlfriend.

A viral video vaulted Ted Williams and his golden voice to fame, but the real hero of this story is the woman he left behind.

Patricia Kirtley raised four daughters alone after Williams split 23 years ago and dove down the rabbit hole of drugs.

Not only that, Kirtley took in the baby boy the radioman had with another woman and raised him as her own.

Oh, and by the way, she's partially blind.

"We survived," Kirtley said Thursday in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. "My children are survivors. They know if we get a little bit that God provides, we make it into a lot. I'm a soup maker. I make potato soup and throw in a lot of vegetables and a little meat. We always ate."

Except that Williams, who seems to be a nice guy, just wasn't strong, wasn't around and wasn't contributing financially.

Kirtley had to go on the dole. "I still remember my case number," she says ruefully. She eventually went to school and got licensed as a blind vendor.

"My mother and sisters pitched in and drove me because I can't see to drive," said Kirtley, now 58, over a din of some of her 16 grandchildren playing.

As if that weren't enough, Kirtley said two of her sisters and a cousin each took in a child Williams and his druggie girlfriend couldn't, or wouldn't, care for.

"I didn't want to see those children in no foster home," she said.

Exactly. It's an all-too-familiar story to the strong members of poor communities - usually women. They are the ones who must provide the backbone, as well as the hugs, for children whose parents get hooked on drugs.

Williams called once in a while, and Kirtley would hear that baritone voice she fell in love with at first sound. They stayed friendly, and he might come for Thanksgiving dinner, but otherwise, he would remain AWOL.

Daughter Julia Pullien, 30, said she was 7 when Williams left.

"He wasn't involved," she said. "Our mom was our sole provider. She is a more than phenomenal person. My father is a nice guy, but he fell victim to the streets. We prayed for him and we worried about him, but we became accustomed to the fact that he just wasn't there."

Kirtley said the kids felt some resentment.

"They didn't understand why he was never there for their school functions, or just to help with their homework," she said.

"That's when I really could have used help, because I couldn't see their pages. My kids are really good readers, though, because I made them read everything to me out loud."

They're grown now, with jobs and kids of their own.

Maybe Williams can redeem himself personally as well as professionally.

Maybe he can be there for his grandchildren in ways he could not for his kids.

Still, all the credit must go to Kirtley, the woman who truly deserves the fame her ex has been getting the past few days.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/07/2011-01-07_behind_goldenvoiced_ted_williams_is_exwife_patr icia_kirtley_the_real_hero_of_the.html#ixzz1ANNjkC ew

mrsmaalox
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Argh!! Quick everyone plug your ears and cover your eyes!

That mean ol' Ashbeeigh has struck again! :lol

ashbeeigh
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Argh!! Quick everyone plug your ears and cover your eyes!

That mean ol' Ashbeeigh has struck again! :lol

:lol I know.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
And off into the sunset you ride :rolleyes

We'll see what happens. It just came out today. I'm sure if he was lying about his 2 year sobriety on the street, along with that excellent, all-encompassing street support system he had that's oh so needed, it would've been reported as well by now. It's been almost a week. Any news on any withdrawals? Hmm. Huh. I just tend to have an optimistic point of view of someone that's tryin to better his life, especially right off the bat. Do you tell your newlywed friends that so and so a percentage of marriages end in divorce at their reception? I think not, but to each their own. If you really can't grasp where I'm, and a few other people, are coming from then there's really no use. But continue to shit on the dude :toast
If the dude falls on his ass, he falls on his ass.

Blake
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Photo is first when you search ted williams obama lol

nicely done. :tu

Soul_Patch
01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
It just me or has this dude already jumped the shark? Im seriously sick of hearing about him.

JudynTX
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
It just me or has this dude already jumped the shark? Im seriously sick of hearing about him.

The hate for this guy is unreal. :lmao

Spurminator
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Let's all enjoy this story while it's still in the "feel good" stage, because the "let's thoroughly dissect his past, hey wait, he's not THAT homeless, did you know he was an accused sex offender in 1972, why does he have a cellphone anyway" stage is forthcoming... because we can't resist.

oh crap
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
oh get real, judy. this guy is on every media outlet, newspaper, blog and every other source he can be shoved down everyone's collective throats and in a thread 3 pages deep we can count on one hand the negative posts while the rest are gagging on this guys cock so lets use a little perspective here.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Hate? Where? Comparing to the "Do you give change to homeless guys on street corners" and "Homeless guys have cell phones?" threads, this one is pretty fucking rosy!:lol I haven't seen any post here that says "I hope the guy fails and dies" or "He doesn't deserve a second chance", but I have seen some very realistic observations made, perhaps in a callous or cynical way that is suddenly not acceptible in this case. It's weird that for some reason (maybe because he seems likeable?) some people don't want to hear that this poor guy's troubles may be too deeply rooted for him to overcome. That's not hate, that is just the glaring truth. He does deserve a second chance. It would be wonderful for him to succeed, and it appears that he is being handed one of the tools he'll need to be victorious over the huuuuge odds that are stacked against him. That there would be the true feel good story :toast

xellos88330
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM

If you read the whole article, you will see he had got back in touch with his mother.

JudynTX
01-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I think some people have been waiting for this. :wakeup

LOS ANGELES – Ted Williams, the Ohio homeless man whose smooth radio voice made him an Internet sensation, had to do some quick talking to Los Angeles police.

Officers were called when Williams and his daughter got into a heated argument Monday night at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa, Officer Catherine Massey said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110111/ap_on_re_us/us_homeless_radio_voice

sa_butta
01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I think some people have been waiting for this. :wakeup

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110111/ap_on_re_us/us_homeless_radio_voice

Although he says he has been clean for more than two years, the recovering addict has acknowledged that it has been challenging dealing with sudden fame.
"I wanted a nerve pill yesterday, to be honest with you," he told CBS on Friday.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh well. I wonder what they were arguing about.

Blake
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
http://freshtildeathonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ted-williams-homeless_man.jpg

"If you are listening to a heated argument between former homeless man and his daughter, you must be staying at the luxurious Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa"

mrsmaalox
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh well. I wonder what they were arguing about.

Just a wild guess, but it's possible the daughter has years and years of pent up anger from being abondoned by her father.`

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Just a wild guess, but it's possible the daughter has years and years of pent up anger from being abondoned by her father.`

Let's hope it's the same amount of pent up anger from the drugs and booze he was addicted to at the time.
And, Hell--If your obvious theory is right, I'd have done that the first night :lol
http://mychinaconnection.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/get-down-to-brass-tacks.jpg

jeebus
01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Z-MWuX7_arA

JudynTX
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM

You're probably right. The argument could have also been about money.

Shelly
01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, it looks like Ashbeigh was right...

Headed back to rehab... (http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/01/12/ted.williams.rehab/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

ashbeeigh
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, it looks like Ashbeigh was right...

Headed back to rehab... (http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/01/12/ted.williams.rehab/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

damn right I was right.

Clandestino
01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
damn right I was right.

:toast

I sided with you!

BlairForceDejuan
01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
9 kids lmao. Really? You couldn't just admit you were a shitty father and quit at around 5 or so?

jeebus
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
damn right I was right.
Didn't take a fortune teller to figure it out tbh

The Reckoning
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
lmao dr phil

oh crap
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
jesus fucking christ, this is such a groundbreaking surprise now ain't it?? :rolleyes:rolleyes

EricB
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
:lol so much for him being this heartwarming story :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Damn. Oh well. :lmao what a jackass :lol

I guess his street support system was da bomb. :D

Dr.Phil
01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
He is on the right track and facing his demons and until he is honest with himself the road to recovery will be a bumpy one indeed.

Blake
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
damn right I was right.

feels good to be right about predicting that someone else will self destruct, doesn't it

JudynTX
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Damn. Oh well. :lmao what a jackass :lol

I guess his street support system was da bomb. :D

He should have gone to Rehab first, oh well. :toast

I hope all those that wanted him to fail feel good about themselves. Pat yourself on the back. :tu

tmtcsc
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Liars are liars, cons are cons and addicts are addicts. Did he work his way back to success ? No. He was on a street corner looking to make a quick buck or two.

You don't get a haircut, clip your nails, take a shower and say "I'm back ! See mom !". This guy needed rehab a long time ago, not publicity whores who wanted to cash in on his story. And BTW, what story ? Just because he has a deep voice he gets pub ? nnnnyaaaawwww. How many single moms and dads are out their busting their asses to take care of their kids and this joker gets job offers left and right ?

The bigger story here is how America loves a comeback story without having to work for it.

Whatever...get clean dude and stop stealing people's shit.

Blake
01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I hope all those that wanted him to fail feel good about themselves. Pat yourself on the back. :tu

I think some thought he would fail and some were tired of hearing about this guy's story over and over, but I don't think anyone really wanted him to fail.

JudynTX
01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I think some thought he would fail and some were tired of hearing about this guy's story over and over, but I don't think anyone really wanted him to fail.

:toast They were negative from day one.

mrsmaalox
01-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually, nothing anyone here said, wanted, expected, or hoped for had any effect on the outcome of this guy's story.

ashbeeigh
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Should I update that to January 13, 2011?

batman2883
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
now he's in rehab

Bukefal
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/ted-golden-voice-williams-on-dr-phil-show/

koriwhat
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
fuck him and every other dead beat dad like him... drugs? just another excuse not to take care of your own.

eat shit and die!

BlackSwordsMan
01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
from being a nobody to being the most famous in america back to being a nobody
only in america

ashbeeigh
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
fuck him and every other dead beat dad like him... drugs? just another excuse not to take care of your own.

eat shit and die!

Wow. Talk about harsh words. I wasn't even that harsh.

koriwhat
01-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow. Talk about harsh words. I wasn't even that harsh.

harsh is acting like you're down on your luck and asking for a handout, something this dude did but he didn't mention how shitty he is as a human, how he had no backbone to deal with his duties as a father, or how he's a pos who begs because it's easier then working. i have no respect or sympathy for dipshits like him. fuck him and his sob story.

Glenn Holland
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Now hes outta rehab-checked himself out after 12 days

Glenn Holland
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41255104/ns/today-today_people/

Viva Las Espuelas
01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Julia Williams says she's broken-hearted but not surprised that her newly famous son, Ted Williams, the man with the golden voice, has left rehab in Texas after barely two weeks.

"I'm very sorry that he left, and I'm very upset," Williams, 90, tells PEOPLE. "Certainly I want him to go back. He needs help."

Julia says she heard from family that Ted went to California, perhaps to Hollywood, to record children's books. She says she's optimistic he'll keep busy and not return to a life on the streets, but doesn't think he can stay sober without professional help.

"I know he doesn't stick at things for long. Whatever it is, he soon tires of it," she says. "He thinks he can make it on his own, without rehab. And I'm sure he can't."

She adds: "It's a very sad story."

A family friend told UPI that Williams was disturbed by the sight of cameras at the Origins Recovery Center, by a medication regimen so heavy that "when he wasn't in [therapy] class, he was asleep," and by more interview requests from Dr. Phil McGraw, who had convinced him to enter rehab in the first place.

Williams became an overnight sensation earlier this month after a videographer with the Columbus Dispatch spotted him by a freeway off-ramp holding a sign claiming he had "a God-given gift of voice" and that he had fallen on hard times.

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20461210&feed=2%5Burl%3DdlUrl%5D&dlUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.people.com%2Fpeople%2Fmedia rss%2Fmobile%2Farticle%2F0%252C%252C20461210%252C0 0.xml

mrsmaalox
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
She adds: "It's a very sad story."

MiamiHeat
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
dude's a loser.

he was given the WORLD on a silver platter, and now he's squandering it all. getting arrested, still drinking, and quitting rehab.

dude is a certifiable loser. he's given the chance, and he throws it away. moving on. don't want to hear about this bum anymore. there are much more deserving people on the planet, worthy of a 2nd chance, that make good use of it. this loser is not one of them.

i don't want anyone to spend a second helping someone who does not help themselves.

koriwhat
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
like i said before.... fuck him and i hope he eats shit and dies!

Glenn Holland
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
He is just another victim of the system that was created by the evil white man designed to keep blacks down on a lower level, right?

jeebus
01-27-2011, 03:23 PM
He missed his booze and alcohol. He will be on the street again soon enough.

The Reckoning
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
culture of poverty

http://www.blacksacademy.net/content/3253.html

kidding...

but it seems like this guy made a choice a long time ago to take to the streets, and if he wasnt under pressure from the entire country to get a job, im sure he'd be back there in an instant. it's home for him. it's all he's ever known. yeah, we should help him, but ultimately it's his choice.

ashbeeigh
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Some people, like Ted Williams won't be helped until they feel they are ready for help. He obviously doesn't feel he is ready to get help.

Sure, you could go with the critical bs race theory that "the white man is keeping him down" and they only wanted to help him because he had an awesome voice and could increase their profits...but for me it's all about giving him the ability to see that he has to choose when to make the change. He obviously doesn't feel like there are more valuable reasons than drugs and alcohol to change. It's messed up. Again, I wouldn't go as far as koriwhot in saying that he should 'eat shit and die' but there's a certain point at which the average person cannot help.

Bukefal
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
'Golden Voice' -- The Secret Homeless Money Drop

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/01/28/0128-ted-williams-ap-youtube-ex-credit.jpg

Ted Williams just pulled off a HUGE surprise for the homeless man he shared a tent with on the streets of Ohio -- when he drove up to his friend's corner and dropped off a MAJOR wad of cash.

Sources connected to "Golden Voice" tell us ... shortly after Ted ditched rehab, he reappeared at his old stomping grounds Monday ... but this time he was being driven around in a black SUV.

We're told Ted located a man named Victor (pictured right) -- his best friend and tent-mate on the streets --and immediately pulled over the car.

The reunion was emotional -- and after the men exchanged a hug and some kind words, Ted gave Victor a wad of cash and promised to help him out once he gets his own life back in order.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/01/28/golden-voice-ted-williams-secret-money-drop-homeless-cash-friend-victor/

PakiDan
01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Some people, like Ted Williams won't be helped until they feel they are ready for help. He obviously doesn't feel he is ready to get help.

Sure, you could go with the critical bs race theory that "the white man is keeping him down" and they only wanted to help him because he had an awesome voice and could increase their profits...but for me it's all about giving him the ability to see that he has to choose when to make the change. He obviously doesn't feel like there are more valuable reasons than drugs and alcohol to change. It's messed up. Again, I wouldn't go as far as koriwhot in saying that he should 'eat shit and die' but there's a certain point at which the average person cannot help.

Damn Ash... did you type this while wearing your pointy white hood?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

mouse
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I get ridiculed time after time since 1996 for saying 99% homeless people you see by the hwy choose that life. I also pointed out how you don't see many Asian and hardworking illegal Mexicans looking for change to buy beer and crack.

They come to this country not only broke and jobless they have to figure out a way to get by without a legal state ID.

After being homeless a few months myself I know this first hand.

Not only was I able to find work and educate myself, I became the very successful film producer that I am today. It's all in the motivation you have in life and doesn't have a dam thing to do with luck or loss of personal possessions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001851864376
on location final day of shooting film in can.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/vlcsnap-1567301.png

The Reckoning
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
:wow you went to MIT?

mouse
01-29-2011, 07:42 PM
:wow you went to MIT?

I applied for a scholarship in 1986 after the Army.

http://web.mit.edu/sfs/scholarships/VA_benefits.html

I was able to keep all this a secret until now. My bio is going to be public at this years SAFilm festival so why try to hide it now?

ashbeeigh
01-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Damn Ash... did you type this while wearing your pointy white hood?

I'll be glad to e-mail you the journal articles that I used to write that response.

ashbeeigh
05-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Back to rehab again.

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=614582

Viva Las Espuelas
05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
That's weird. I thought about this guy when I saw a guy on the street favor him earlier this week. Oh well. I guess Ash is happy :toast

ashbeeigh
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
no one cares. hes just another black man that has failed.

Oh my god. Get off my ass. I called out your spelling. Cry me a river.

mrsmaalox
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
And the cycle continues....

Viva Las Espuelas
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Ever wonder what happened to Ted Williams, the homeless man with the “Golden Voice,” after he was plucked out of obscurity and thrust into the viral limelight?It’s been just over a year since Williams became a star, after a YouTube video featuring the then-homeless Columbus, Ohio man presented his pitch-perfect, classic radio voice to the world. Entertainment Tonight caught up with the Williams to see how the past year has dramatically changed the former panhandler’s life.In the video, Williams shows off his spacious home that he shares with his girlfriend and sober living coach, saying he’s still in disbelief: “A year ago today I was living in tents, under bridges, smoking crack, doing all the wild things—now this is where I live. I have a fireplace.” He also has a walk-in closet that doubles as a recording booth, where he records his spots for his job as the official voice of the New England Cable News.The past year has been a busy one; in addition to going to rehab twice, Williams has been working with Entertainment Tonight (whose producers also helped him with achieving sobriety), landed a voice over spot in a Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese commercial last year, and is set to release a book chronicling his story this May.“What a difference a year makes,” he said. “It’s a ‘hallelujah’ moment every day I wake up.”
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/13/whatever-happened-to-ted-williams-the-golden-voiced-homeless-man/

Don't be too sad, Ash

RandomGuy
02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Ever wonder what happened to Ted Williams, the homeless man with the “Golden Voice,” after he was plucked out of obscurity and thrust into the viral limelight?It’s been just over a year since Williams became a star, after a YouTube video featuring the then-homeless Columbus, Ohio man presented his pitch-perfect, classic radio voice to the world. Entertainment Tonight caught up with the Williams to see how the past year has dramatically changed the former panhandler’s life.In the video, Williams shows off his spacious home that he shares with his girlfriend and sober living coach, saying he’s still in disbelief: “A year ago today I was living in tents, under bridges, smoking crack, doing all the wild things—now this is where I live. I have a fireplace.” He also has a walk-in closet that doubles as a recording booth, where he records his spots for his job as the official voice of the New England Cable News.The past year has been a busy one; in addition to going to rehab twice, Williams has been working with Entertainment Tonight (whose producers also helped him with achieving sobriety), landed a voice over spot in a Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese commercial last year, and is set to release a book chronicling his story this May.“What a difference a year makes,” he said. “It’s a ‘hallelujah’ moment every day I wake up.”
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/13/whatever-happened-to-ted-williams-the-golden-voiced-homeless-man/

Don't be too sad, Ash

So basically, he had a bump or two in the process of breaking years of bad habits, but now is not a broken human being.

Good to hear. I'm glad I didn't post any self-righteous, judgemental bullshit about the guy. I would feel like a total douchebag about now.

SA210
02-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Don't be too sad, Ash

That's awesome

mrsmaalox
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
That is so great. The odds were overwhelmingly against his success and he's done a pretty amazing thing :toast

SA210
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
So basically, he had a bump or two in the process of breaking years of bad habits, but now is not a broken human being.

Good to hear. I'm glad I didn't post any self-righteous, judgemental bullshit about the guy. I would feel like a total douchebag about now.

oh crap
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

He's been a crackhead for years and years, left his kids for the streets and the pipe but he's had a "fireplace" for a few months and all a sudden he's made a life change? Thanks guys, I needed this laugh today more than most.. knew I could count on you!

SA210
02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
he's had a "fireplace" for a few months and all a sudden he's made a life change?

um..yea. Pretty much.

lebomb
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

He's been a crackhead for years and years, left his kids for the streets and the pipe but he's had a "fireplace" for a few months and all a sudden he's made a life change? Thanks guys, I needed this laugh today more than most.. knew I could count on you!

I guess you have lived a flawless life. :rolleyes

Heath Ledger
02-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Odds on this guy staying sober..... I've watched the Macaroni and Cheese commercial. The first time i saw it I knew it was him.

mouse
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm glad I didn't post any self-righteous, judgemental bullshit about the guy. I would feel like a total douchebag about now.

or at least until you see photos of him dead with a crack pipe still glued to his mouth.

mouse
02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Watch "Nissan Man" to be released in the fall of 2013.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/homeless.jpg

About a homeless man in San Antonio who lived 2 years in the backseat of a 1989 Nissan Stanza who is out to prove you can change your life in less than 3 weeks if you "really" make an effort.

My camera was there to document it.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/nissan-man.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/officer-oconnor.png

"Nissan Man" ~ Joe Chalupa from the Thrifty Nickle magazine gives it four...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/images.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/images.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/images.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/images.jpg

m>s
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
mono & this dude just be the same tbh except that mono still has a home