PDA

View Full Version : What's in store for the Mavericks?

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Per Marc Stein

The Mavericks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=dal) will make a trade eventually in the wake of Caron Butler's season-ending knee injury.

How can we be so sure?

Simple: The Mavs always make a trade.

Don't they?

Yet while sources with knowledge of the team's thinking say there is indeed some sentiment within the organization to pursue Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=378) -- who was hoping to land with the Mavs last season when Golden State dealt him to Charlotte instead -- one source told ESPNDallas.com that the smaller-scale acquisition of a player who can fit into the Mavs' available $3 million trade exception ranks as the more likely move for now.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1210/nba_g_jackson11_288.jpg Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty ImagesCharlotte guard Stephen Jackson could be a viable option to fill Caron Butler's void.

Could that stance change? Sure. The trading deadline isn't until Feb. 24.

But the immediate plan, as covered in this cyberspace Sunday (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4672989/sources-mavs-wont-rush-to-replace-butler), is giving the players on the current roster some time to prove they can -- or can't -- cover for Butler. Pointing to the Boston Celtics (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos) and how they've consistently weathered injuries without much dropoff since their championship season in 2007-08, Mavs owner Mark Cuban said: "That's more the model than anything else."

Some evidence to illustrate Dallas' deliberate-for-now pace when it comes to making changes: Word arrived Wednesday that the Mavs want to take their time filling the roster spot vacated by Wednesday's release of little-used Steve Novak (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3018) as opposed to immediately signing a fill-in to a 10-day contract.

The Mavs, though, are indeed huddling to assess their trade options already, so they're ready to pounce if Roddy Beaubois' worryingly slow recovery from a broken foot continues to drag. Or if the regular-season load on Dirk Nowitzki (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=609) and Jason Kidd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=429) gets even heavier than it is now, when it's already pretty daunting.

Team officials consider the Mavs' in-house harmony to be the best seen in their locker room for years, but sources say that it's really not chemistry concerns that would put them off the edgy Jackson. Not with Nowitzki and Kidd -- veterans Jackson respects -- around to bond with him. And not with Jackson's proven abilities to make 3s, play dogged D and perform in the playoffs ... all of which would have sounded appealing even with Butler healthy.

PODCASTESPN NBA senior writer Marc Stein joins Ben and Skin to talk all things Mavericks, the NBA trade market and much more.

Listen (http://spurstalk.com/forums/#) http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/listen.pngThe pause with Jackson would be mostly financial, since Jackson turns 33 in April and is only in the first year of a new three-year contract valued at $28 million. Dallas would be discouraged further if Bobcats owner Michael Jordan holds out for more than a mere Butler-for-Jackson salary dump.

The ex-Warrior wouldn’t be as pricy as going for Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2386) -- who isn't as well-rounded offensively as Jackson and thus not nearly as appealing from a fit standpoint -- but one source close to the situation says Cuban would have to be sold that acquiring Jackson is an “over the top” move.

Even in a West far more wide open than anticipated, Dallas isn't quite sure.

Houston's Kevin Martin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2394) remains a fantasy target -- coveted by the Mavs since last winter -- but the Rockets have made it clear that trading Martin is not in their plans ... and that trading him to an in-state rival probably never will be.

As Cuban noted in his Tuesday night session with reporters, speaking generally about players he'd want to go for: "The other side has to want to make the trade."

Memphis' O.J. Mayo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3450), although he's not a small forward, is an interesting name and presumably not untouchable given all the troubles Mayo is having in Memphis. Sacramento's Omri Casspi (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3554) -- whose modest $1.3 million salary more than fits into the $4.3 million and $3 million trade exceptions Dallas has available through July 13 -- is a small forward and is another name known to intrigue the Mavs.

The price for either, however, would be high. The Grizzlies are expected to ask for a lot in return for Mayo, no matter how mad they are about his role in this week's fight with teammate Tony Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2367) on the team plane, largely because they gave up Kevin Love (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3449) to get him in the 2008 draft. Casspi, meanwhile, has several teams chasing him, but sources say Sacramento wants a point guard or another need-filler in return for the Israeli, who is treasured by Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof. It remains to be seen whether the Kings will eventually be willing to work with a team offering, say, a future first-round pick and a willingness to take on Francisco Garcia's or Beno Udrih's contract.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0826/nba_g_martin_b1_288.jpg Bill Baptist/NBAE/Getty ImagesWhile the Mavs would love to acquire Kevin Martin, he, along with the likes of O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love, remains a long shot.

But Dallas apparently has begun scouring league rosters for potential trade targets in the $3 million-or-less category who, thanks to their trade exceptions, could be acquired for as a little as a future second-round pick if another team out there is simply looking to get off some money.

The Mavs, meanwhile, also continue to cling to hope that a big second-half comeback looms for the dynamic-in-theory Roddy Beaubois, who has the unquestioned ability to provide scoring on the weakside opposite Nowitzki in ways no one else the roster (including Butler) can ... but who still hasn't practiced once since October's re-aggravation of the foot he broke in August.

Will Beaubois be the closest thing to a marquee in-season addition we see from the Mavs? You never want to assume anything with Mark Cuban's operation, but that is the vibe emanating from Mavsland as we speak, with the trade deadline still XX days away.

"Other than the Spurs," Cuban said Tuesday night, "it's not like the other teams aren't having their issues, too."

Translation: Cuban wants to see how the deepest team Dallas believes it has assembled in years can cope with a season-ending injury before deciding it's fatal to their title chances.

"We're a much better team with Caron, obviously, but we're still a better team than we were last year even without Caron," Cuban said.

Roddy Beaubois
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Im 100% for a trade for Sjax. Thats the move we need to look into.
Martin I'm real iffy about.

sefant77
01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I say Jax or Iggy if the Sixers doesnt demand too much...

Troll Translator
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
If Butler was a make it or break it for a NBA championship, you fags weren't going to win anyways.

MavFan6488
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
i want sjax, now!!

dude has balls..with him on the roster, dirk wouldn't be the only one showing up in the playoffs.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
As I stated a couple days ago in another thread if Cuban feels like a deal needs to be made I think it's going to be for Jackson and it should be if ones made.
I don't think it's a smart move to get somebody like Omri Casspi considering we should wait and let Marion and Stevenson fill in for now(so far so good) and wait for Roddy who began taking jumpshots finally.

I don't believe a drop in the standings is in store so I think we wait it out see how things develop (Roddy) and then make a play if necessary for Sjax.

kamikazi_player
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Meh, I think the Mavericks should take G Wall over S Jax if possible. Much better player defensively and doesn't need the ball as often to be dominant.

Roddy Beaubois
01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Meh, I think the Mavericks should take G Wall over S Jax if possible. Much better player defensively and doesn't need the ball as often to be dominant.

1. Wallace is out with a major injury.
2. Even if he wasn't, Jackson is the much better fit. We don't need defense as much as we need offense. Wallace goes through shooting slumps that kill his team often, and really doesn't bring much we don't have in Marion. Jackson is the ball handler we need.

#41 Shoot Em Up
Personally I have no interest in Martin or Iggy.
I feel like if a trade is made we should go after a player who is as close to a 2 way player as possible, hence SJax

#41 Shoot Em Up
2. Even if he wasn't, Jackson is the much better fit. We don't need defense as much as we need offense. Wallace goes through shooting slumps that kill his team often, and really doesn't bring much we don't have in Marion. Jackson is the ball handler we need.

Agreed

Darthkiller
01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
the mavs dont need sjax, trust me. sjax is another jumpshoot. mavs have plenty of those , they need someone who can slash and draw fouls consistently. iggy would be a better fit.

MavFan6488
01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
wouldn't mind to let jackson bring up the ball a lot. that would mean kidd would get some rest and less jj barea probably..:toast

Shank
01-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Casspi!

Shank
01-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Are you really Roddy Beaubois?

Ghazi
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
No to the Zionist fuck !

Roddy Beaubois
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Are you really Roddy Beaubois?

oui

Ghazi
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Melo to the Mavs

Shank
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Jordan would be killed if he did a straight Jackson-Butler salary dump trade.

Phillip
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Man it would be sweet if they could get Mayo, but I doubt that happens. Jackson would be cool, although he's sort of a jacker. But it seems like a lot of players become considerably more efficient offensively when playing with guys like Dirk and Kidd, and in a more disciplined system that is ran here in Dallas.

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Jackson is overrated and like Butler, isn't a legit #2 option, but I guess it would be a good move if the Mavs didn't have another choice..he does bring toughness and his balls scrape the floor, he also seems to dislike Kobe and the Lakers, so that would be another incentive, since they could very likely play them in the playoffs..

He's an underrated passer(especially on the P&r with cutters, so Chandler would benefit) and wouldn't be a defensive downgrade from Butler(probably around the same defensively, Jax might be a little better), and he has a better chance of getting hot from outside..

His main flaw is that he has horrible shot selection and he takes up a lot of time in the clock on every possession, similar to Caron Butler..his shot selection might be different with the Mavs, since they have more offensive options than Charlotte, so he would have less "freedom"..

I would make the move, since there doesn't appear to be a better option..Iguodala would be pretty much the same IMO..Martin is much better than any of these guys offensively, but he would obviously be a defensive liability, so I'm not sure I would go for it..

Phillip
01-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Iggy would be nice because hes young and super athletic, but is quite expensive, and I dont know how well his skillset would fit with the Mavs.

If Jackson becomes more disciplined by playing in the Mavs system, his skill sets would fit extremely well, as he is a solid and versatile defender, great jumpshooter, decent at getting to the line, good passer, and best of all he has balls and will not just take but make big shots. This way the Mavs have 3 legit crunchtime options in Dirk, Terry, and Jackson, making things a lot easier overall in those moments.

Shank
01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Jackson is overrated and like Butler, isn't a legit #2 option, but I guess it would be a good move if the Mavs didn't have another choice..he does bring toughness and his balls scrape the floor, he also seems to dislike Kobe and the Lakers, so that would be another incentive, since they could very likely play them in the playoffs..

He's an underrated passer(especially on the P&r with cutters, so Chandler would benefit) and wouldn't be a defensive downgrade from Butler(probably around the same defensively, Jax might be a little better), and he has a better chance of getting hot from outside..

His main flaw is that he has horrible shot selection and he takes up a lot of time in the clock on every possession, similar to Caron Butler..his shot selection might be different with the Mavs, since they have more offensive options than Charlotte, so he would have less "freedom"..

I would make the move, since there doesn't appear to be a better option..Iguodala would be pretty much the same IMO..Martin is much better than any of these guys offensively, but he would obviously be a defensive liability, so I'm not sure I would go for it..

In crunchtime, Dirk is still going to get the ball the majority of the time. Terry has shown a knack for some big 4th quarters so far this season, but we all know how that fades when the playoffs roll around. If a guy is lacking somewhat defensively, I don't think it's going to kill this squad. More than anything, they just need someone that can score. Hell, give us 12-18 a night and don't fuck up the chemistry. Jackson can do that, gives that playoff experience and toughness and isn't the sort that can cost you games, especially not on a roster like this. (That and it would be a real kick in the nuts for Spurs fans to see him in the blue). He seems like the most likely.

Melo is a pipedream. Iggy doesn't seem financially responsible. I like the ideas of Mayo and/or Casspi if at all possible. Cheap, young and suitable. Darrell Armstrong can check Mayo's ass in a game of cards.

Shank
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Essentially, the Mavs will go to some teams that are out of the picture and/or looking for salary cap relief and asking for their best player. Who's willing to give up their guy?

kamikazi_player
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree with some of your points, but you can never have enough defense, especially in the playoffs. G Wall will be healed by playoff time I believe and that's when the Mavs need to showcase that their regular season is a preview of what they can do in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Wallace wouldn't fit with the Mavs IMO..his jump shot is too poor and he doesn't move the ball well..

His main strength on offense is over-dribbling that leads to drives to the basket, where he can draw cheap FTs, similar to Corey Maggette and Kevin Martin..on Dallas, when you already have Dirk and Kidd, along with multiple other potential offensive weapons, it's better to have a perimeter player that can shoot and pass, obviously..

Shank
01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I agree with some of your points, but you can never have enough defense, especially in the playoffs. G Wall will be healed by playoff time I believe and that's when the Mavs need to showcase that their regular season is a preview of what they can do in the playoffs.

It would depend on the cost of Wallace. If Dallas can get Jackson for Butler's contract, that's almost a no-brainer. I actually like what Stevenson is doing for this team and would like to hang onto him instead of including him as a part of any package that doesn't turn into Carmelo.

jjktkk
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM

H

Maybe overrated, but provides offense and toughness. The mavs could do worse, but Charlotte's is probably gonna ask for too much.

Shank
01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm still not 100% sold that the backup PG position is shored up. I still can't stand Barea out there.

kamikazi_player
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm still not 100% sold that the backup PG position is shored up. I still can't stand Barea out there.
Isn't Beaubois supposed to be the backup PG when he comes back?

Shank
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Isn't Beaubois supposed to be the backup PG when he comes back?

He would have been, no doubt, if he'd been playing through the summer and showed something in Summer League. As it stands, he didn't show well in those auditions and is a huge question mark for that position.

Shank
01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
there are bigger things to worry about than backup PG when you already have kid, jet, beaubois, etc who can dribble the ball down the court for fucks sake. someone to create in the halfcourt and backup PF are both much bigger concerns tbh.

I didn't say it was a priority. I just figure if we're putting together a shopping list for shit, why not kick that little fag Barea out?

sribb43
01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
if a trade isnt made then its 1 and done again for the Mavs. If the Mavs FO thinks that Roddy is going to come back and put them over the top this year, they are sadly mistaken. With a lockout looming, this old aging core does not have the legs left to piss away another season. Mavs are fooling themselves is they think they can win anything with this roster sans Butler. A trade needs to made and Omar Fuckin' Casspi is not the answer

ezau
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
oui

:lmao:lmao:lmao

frodo
01-05-2011, 11:40 PM
getting mayo or cassipi would be great imho.

frodo
01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
if a trade isnt made then its 1 and done again for the Mavs. If the Mavs FO thinks that Roddy is going to come back and put them over the top this year, they are sadly mistaken. With a lockout looming, this old aging core does not have the legs left to piss away another season. Mavs are fooling themselves is they think they can win anything with this roster sans Butler. A trade needs to made and Omar Fuckin' Casspi is not the answer

sand trigga hits 3s and plays D, he'd not make us elites instantly but he'd be certainly a +. trade exceptions + picks + minimums for mayo or cassipi and butler's 10m will be used elsewhere for another big name, like sjax, iggy-brand or probably even melo

u4lakers14
01-05-2011, 11:46 PM
are you really roddy?

oui

its true.

i saw him with a chick with braided armpit hair at the pants store.

:lol if you were roddy, cuban wouldnt let you use a computer for fear of breaking your wrist.

Shank
01-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Casssssssssspi. Say it with me now. Casssssssssspi.

sribb43
01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
sand trigga hits 3s and plays D, he'd not make us elites instantly but he'd be certainly a +. trade exceptions + picks + minimums for mayo or cassipi and butler's 10m will be used elsewhere for another big name, like sjax, iggy-brand or probably even melo

Casspi couldn't be combined with another player I believe until 90 after after he is acquired and by the time that deadline passes, the trade deadline would have passed as well

in2deep
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
How can we be so sure?

Simple: The Mavs always make a trade.

:lol trigger happy Cuban