PDA

View Full Version : Mental errors and poor judgment

Ice009
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
This Spurs team has made so many mistakes this season and shown poor judgment at times I'm starting to wonder if they will ever clean it up.

They've been doing it all season, but won games by out shooting the other team and a little bit of luck. The last few games that poor judgment and mental errors are being capitalized by the other team and they are making us pay for it.

It's been going on all season on both offense and defense. Unless they clean that up and start playing smarter they have no shot at the championship.

Now that we have a lot of road games coming up we're not going to win games playing like that.

It's amazing that we have some high BBall IQ players, but the decisions they are making this season at times are so DUMB.

Will they turn it around or are the low BBall IQ players going to drag us down?

EDIT : Why didn't Tim pass Manu the ball the first time he was open. Poor Judgment is this teams MO.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
So no one thinks this is a problem at all?

ElNono
01-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, we're not even halfway there yet... Some things will probably not change. But I think BBall IQ is one of the lesser problems. There's bigger fish to fry than BBall IQ, I think.

Ice009
01-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Well, we're not even halfway there yet... Some things will probably not change. But I think BBall IQ is one of the lesser problems. There's bigger fish to fry than BBall IQ, I think.

Yeah sure, but do you remember the Spurs continuously making this many mistakes on offense and defense. Even guys like Tim, Manu and Tony are now starting to make this dumb errors in judgment. Can't win road games with all those mental errors.

One example is the Denver Nuggets game that Manu won we had a ton of errors in the last 5 minutes and were lucky to win that one. That is really uncharacteristic of the Spurs.

These guys HAVE to start playing consistently smarter for us to go anywhere.

EricB
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Agreed.

Their turnovers and I know this sounds like a broken record, but they always turn the ball over terribly early mid season and down the stretches of seasons they clean it up.

frodo
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
the current spurs squad contains more young callows than they ever had in the past decade, so it appears they're not playing smart as they used to. things will only get better as the youths learn more any more about spurs game and start to contribute big

ElNono
01-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah sure, but do you remember the Spurs continuously making this many mistakes on offense and defense. Even guys like Tim, Manu and Tony are now starting to make this dumb errors in judgment. Can't win road games with all those mental errors.

One example is the Denver Nuggets game that Manu won we had a ton of errors in the last 5 minutes and were lucky to win that one. That is really uncharacteristic of the Spurs.

Our top basketball IQ guys are playing less minutes now. Plus there's probably some degree of complacency after the fast start. They're human after all. The focus is obviously not all there. It's reflected in many things, including sloppiness. I just don't think players regress on the basketball IQ department. They need to clean it up, period.

EricB
01-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Our top basketball IQ guys are playing less minutes now. Plus there's probably some degree of complacency after the fast start. They're human after all. The focus is obviously not all there. It's reflected in many things, including sloppiness. I just don't think players regress on the basketball IQ department. They need to clean it up, period.

When the minutes get ramped up to playoff level in March, and the squad is hopefully 100% this obviously gets better.

Capt Bringdown
01-06-2011, 12:21 AM
More worried about being outclassed than mental mistakes. Our core problem is Blair/Bonner & McMummy being simply not good enough to compete for a title.

Good enough to rack up some fun regular season wins, but in the playoffs fuggetaboutit. Unless we see some an upgrade in this area we'll be second-round cannon fodder again.

rascal
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
More worried about being outclassed than mental mistakes. Our core problem is Blair/Bonner & McMummy being simply not good enough to compete for a title.

Good enough to rack up some fun regular season wins, but in the playoffs fuggetaboutit. Unless we see some an upgrade in this area we'll be second-round cannon fodder again.

Good post. The spurs don't have the horses on the frontline to be a serious contender when the playoffs roll around.

in2deep
01-06-2011, 09:45 AM
not worried about that.

its a long season. WHen playoffs come, the errors will be less and less. this is a veteran team.

Ice009
01-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Just watched the Pacers Vs Spurs game as I couldn't watch it live and WOW, Spurs yet again made a ton of mistakes. Great game and win, but the Spurs just keep making mistakes.

I just feel the team isn't clicking together. Blair in the starting lineup isn't working IMO. Some of the pieces don't seem to fit together. I don't know if we need a trade, but to me the chemistry and trust just hasn't been there at all this season on the defensive end. I don't know if it's just the pieces that are incompatible or the team needs more time to play together?

I'd try a lineup change first, but that's hard as Pop doesn't want to start Dice and since the current players who know the system are struggling so that makes it even tougher on Pop to try starting Splitter who hasn't shown enough.

Personally I would try starting Splitter and use Blair off the bench. I'd much rather have both players playing than only Blair when he is having a good game. Splitter has been in big games before and I think Pop should use him in the same role he was using Blair. If Splitter is playing well then you can give him more minutes if not then you can sub him out like Pop does with Blair. I think Splitter would bring more defense to the starting 5 and help set a better tone.

spurspokesman
01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Agreed.

Their turnovers and I know this sounds like a broken record, but they always turn the ball over terribly early mid season and down the stretches of seasons they clean it up.

True post Eric but lets be honest. Our interior is a drive thru and when the season tightens if we cant get better defense in the interior I dont see number 5. We wont shoot 45% from three thru the playoffs and cant hang our hats on offense. Defense wins championships as you know and we suck in that category overall barring a few great spurts of D here and there. How we get better D on the interior dont ask me. Im not FO.:bang
It's frustrating to see knowing the way the spurs have always prided themselves on D. We miss you BRUCE.

Agloco
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
This Spurs team has made so many mistakes this season and shown poor judgment at times I'm starting to wonder if they will ever clean it up.

They've been doing it all season, but won games by out shooting the other team and a little bit of luck. The last few games that poor judgment and mental errors are being capitalized by the other team and they are making us pay for it.

Soooooo, what's the point? They hold the best record in the league. These sorts of comments should wait until the Spurs face an elimination game in the playoffs.

Agloco
01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Just watched the Pacers Vs Spurs game as I couldn't watch it live and WOW, Spurs yet again made a ton of mistakes. Great game and win, but the Spurs just keep making mistakes.

I just feel the team isn't clicking together.

How did you feel when they played OKC and LA?

rmt
01-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Well, OKC was on a back-to-back and Kobe went into chuck-mode. He won't do that in the playoffs if he wants to win another one. I'm hoping he still makes that mistake.

The problem with this team is defense. I think that Pop should use Hill on iso-players and Parker on those who use screens to score (like Allen). When Anderson comes back, hopefully Pop will play him and Neal should get better with more than another 1/2 season left.

Popovich needs to incorporate Splitter so that he will have more choices in the playoffs. I'd willingly give up Bonner's offense for more defense from Splitter. He's got height, quick feet and doesn't get push around (even by Bynum). I know that Splitter is not in his plans for this year but the Spurs have the pieces to get it done.

With the exception of Splitter and giving up on the Knicks game, I think that Pop's done a masterful job this year. After what's happened the last 2 games, down 10 with someone at the free throw line and 3 mins left against a relatively young team wouldn't be impossible to win. HCA is all-important this year (only secondary to health).

Back to the OP, for some reason I had confidence that they'd pull it out against IND and they did. Part of the problem are the youngsters but that's part of the package along with the fresh legs and energy. It was much worse on the 03 team. I think that I'd rather see mental errors than (Hill) passing up so many open shots. Fortune favors the bold and being afraid to take the open shot is not going to cut it in the playoffs.

DMC
01-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Sorry, but TP could never guard Ray Allen. It's impossible. Manu would do a better job with Ray than Parker would, simply because Manu is good at creating turnovers (on both ends). All you can do with Ray is get a hand up, and Parker could do that and Ray would never see it. Manu is so chaotic in his approach that shooters have no idea if he's going to stop or just run over them. I've seen guys airball with Manu slapping all over them. He's no Bruce, but then Tony isn't either.

I do miss Bruce.

Ice009
01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Soooooo, what's the point? They hold the best record in the league. These sorts of comments should wait until the Spurs face an elimination game in the playoffs.

Wait until an elimination game? LOL. That would be a little late to sort out those issues don't you think?

Sorry, but TP could never guard Ray Allen. It's impossible. Manu would do a better job with Ray than Parker would, simply because Manu is good at creating turnovers (on both ends). All you can do with Ray is get a hand up, and Parker could do that and Ray would never see it. Manu is so chaotic in his approach that shooters have no idea if he's going to stop or just run over them. I've seen guys airball with Manu slapping all over them. He's no Bruce, but then Tony isn't either.

I do miss Bruce.

TP has chased Richard Hamilton before so why can't he chase Ray Allen around? It's obvious G.Hill sucks at getting around screens. He was schooled badly.

The problem with this team is defense. I think that Pop should use Hill on iso-players and Parker on those who use screens to score (like Allen). When Anderson comes back, hopefully Pop will play him and Neal should get better with more than another 1/2 season left.

Yep, TP when focused defensively might be a lot better than George Hill chasing players around screens. I'd like to give him a go at that because George got totally destroyed. He really needs to work on that.

Popovich needs to incorporate Splitter so that he will have more choices in the playoffs. I'd willingly give up Bonner's offense for more defense from Splitter. He's got height, quick feet and doesn't get push around (even by Bynum). I know that Splitter is not in his plans for this year but the Spurs have the pieces to get it done.

I don't see why Pop won't start Splitter? Surely Splitter could help set a better tone defensively and if he isn't playing well you can yank him after 5 minutes or so like Pop does with DeJuan. DeJuan also could be better off the bench and I'd much rather have both these guys play than having Splitter sit. You don't think they are worried about DeJuan's confidence if he was going to be benched do you?

With the exception of Splitter and giving up on the Knicks game, I think that Pop's done a masterful job this year. After what's happened the last 2 games, down 10 with someone at the free throw line and 3 mins left against a relatively young team wouldn't be impossible to win. HCA is all-important this year (only secondary to health).

He's done a pretty good job, but he can't keep playing Bonner and Blair and keep getting angry about the defense. Those pieces don't fit together defensively. This is a big glaring problem IMO. He keeps talking about defense, but then you see Bonner and Blair getting lots of court time.

Back to the OP, for some reason I had confidence that they'd pull it out against IND and they did. Part of the problem are the youngsters but that's part of the package along with the fresh legs and energy. It was much worse on the 03 team. I think that I'd rather see mental errors than (Hill) passing up so many open shots. Fortune favors the bold and being afraid to take the open shot is not going to cut it in the playoffs.

With the example you used I can accept the mental errors if that player is not afraid out there. Stephen Jackson is the example from that team that I like to compare shooters to since then.

George Hill was horrible last night every time he passed up a shot, that pissed me off. I can accept a missed shot if he is not afraid to shoot it and take that shot with confidence, but last night he looked scared as shit to shoot the ball. Gary Neal on the other hand I had no problem with his shot as he is not afraid to shoot it which gives it a better chance to go in. If you shoot like Hill did last night from 3 point range with no confidence then you may as well go sit on the bench because none of those shots had a chance of going in.

DMC
01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
TP has chased Richard Hamilton before so why can't he chase Ray Allen around? It's obvious G.Hill sucks at getting around screens. He was schooled badly.

TP has been going around instead of through screens all year. He's been getting burned when he does. You cannot do that with Ray Allen. George Hill had a bad defensive game, but he's a much better option for Allen.

Like I said before, the problem isn't Ray Allen. You have to be able to stop the role players like Davis. When a role player has 20+ on you, he's nullified your double team elsewhere.

It's not easy to stop Boston. There's no secret combination of Spurs that can make it easier. It's just hard work and sticking to the defensive game plan. If they do that they will be fine.

Ice009
01-09-2011, 10:06 PM
More mistakes tonight to let the Wolves back into it. Have the players tuned out Pop or is his coaching the problem? He made some weird decisions tonight to keep playing Hill.

pjjrfan
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
They are making a lot of sloppy mistakes. Careless passes, failure to go after loose balls, lapses on defense, although the defense has stepped up not counting the Knicks game. I'm sure it's a concern, the hope is that they will eliminate them as the season goes along and they execute much better in the playoffs. The Spurs have had phases where they can't seem to do anything right and have turned it around what's happening this season is a little strange, since the Spurs have been more of a second half of the season team.

Ice009
01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
They are making a lot of sloppy mistakes. Careless passes, failure to go after loose balls, lapses on defense, although the defense has stepped up not counting the Knicks game. I'm sure it's a concern, the hope is that they will eliminate them as the season goes along and they execute much better in the playoffs. The Spurs have had phases where they can't seem to do anything right and have turned it around what's happening this season is a little strange, since the Spurs have been more of a second half of the season team.

That's actually a point I am saying. The Spurs seem to be playing worse as the season goes on, not better.

Other seasons they've started sloppy and gotten better. This season they are getting sloppier and worse as they go along.

I don't know what Pop is doing with his lineups? Calling for defense, but playing Blair and Bonner a lot of minutes.

EricB says Blair got benched in the second half so Pop has cut his minutes back that way. I disagree. I say Blair has played so poorly that he's still getting too many minutes. If we go by the way he's played lately he should be the one on the bench getting no minutes. Bonner has actually played good enough to at least get some minutes.

Maybe if Pop benches Blair and cuts him out of the game completely we'll see the real Blair show up again.

ElNono
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think Pop is that kind of guy anymore. He used to do that a lot, but mostly because he had a core of solid veterans and some more on the bench to fall back to.
Right now, if he had to sit every player that missed a rotation, then we don't have anybody to play. Again, I'm personally not too concerned about the mental aspect, at least on the offensive end. I am concerned about where that focus, or lack of focus, converges with the defensive end.

Ice009
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't think Pop is that kind of guy anymore. He used to do that a lot, but mostly because he had a core of solid veterans and some more on the bench to fall back to.
Right now, if he had to sit every player that missed a rotation, then we don't have anybody to play. Again, I'm personally not too concerned about the mental aspect, at least on the offensive end. I am concerned about where that focus, or lack of focus, converges with the defensive end.

Who brings the biggest lack of focus on the defensive end with the most lapses. I understand everyone is making mistakes, but DeJuan is making the most and just shows no focus or awareness at all defensively most of the time. He has had some good games, but more often than not he makes too many mistakes defensively for him to start.

Is it worth giving Splitter a shot or is Splitter that bad that he can't get some minutes with Tim at the expense of Blair? Is Splitter worse defensively than one of the worst defensive starting centers in the NBA?

Blackjack
01-09-2011, 10:36 PM
This team just ain't a typical Spurs team and trying to be, well, it ain't gonna cut it.

Jefferson, Hill, Blair and Neal aren't the cerebral or savvy players that know how to read-and-react to the circumstance in the confines of a complex scheme. They're prone to mistakes and missed assignments at inopportune times. It just is what it is.

It's why I've always stated how important Splitter and Anderson were to this team and their championship endgame. It's not that I know they're the answer, it's that I know they have the potential to be those small pieces of glue that complete the puzzle -- players capable of stepping up to fulfill need for a few minutes, a game, a series or the duration of the playoffs.

But if they're not the answer -- which means you've found out for sure via playing time -- then they've got two choices: make a trade; or play to your strengths and hope you can get it done in a way you never have before (offensively, essentially).

ElNono
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Who brings the biggest lack of focus on the defensive end with the most lapses. I understand everyone is making mistakes, but DeJuan is making the most and just shows no focus or awareness at all defensively most of the time. He has had some good games, but more often than not he makes too many mistakes defensively for him to start.

Is it worth giving Splitter a shot or is Splitter that bad that he can't get some minutes with Tim at the expense of Blair? Is Splitter worse defensively than one of the worst defensive starting centers in the NBA?

You don't have to harp to me about handing 10mpg to Tiago. I don't think we're going anywhere if he's not a rotation guy come playoff time.

Ice009
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
But if they're not the answer -- which means you've found out for sure via playing time -- then they've got two choices: make a trade; or play to your strengths and hope you can get it done in a way you never have before (offensively, essentially).

Great take Blackjack.

I'd be OK with taking either approach, either playing to their strengths and not trying to play like a typical Spurs team because we don't have the personnel to do it, but having said that when are we going to find out if Splitter can be that guy?

What you said is exactly what I thought Splitter could be. A very good glue guy like Oberto. I never expected him to be a star. I did expect him to be a smart glue guy like Oberto though. Is Pop going to give him a chance?

You don't have to harp to me about handing 10mpg to Tiago. I don't think we're going anywhere if he's not a rotation guy come playoff time.

That is all I am asking for. The best time to give him those minutes are with Tim. I want to see what they can do defensively together. If he plays well then keep increasing his minutes. Give Blair 10-15 minutes a game he is getting now and cut Bonner's minutes down slightly, unless he is playing well Bonner doesn't need 30 minutes a night.

Mugen
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Barring any injuries to the bigs, Splitter won't be getting any meaningful mins this season. These last 4 games have showed that.

If Pop isnt even willing to give him 5-10 mins in either Back 2 Back game then it pretty much means hes in the doghouse.

We'll get the same ol' Pop spiel about regretting how he could have better managed Splitter's development/minutes this season after we get bounced out in the WCFs or something and appease the Pop apologists.

TD 21
01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
This team just ain't a typical Spurs team and trying to be, well, it ain't gonna cut it.

Jefferson, Hill, Blair and Neal aren't the cerebral or savvy players that know how to read-and-react to the circumstance in the confines of a complex scheme. They're prone to mistakes and missed assignments at inopportune times. It just is what it is.

It's why I've always stated how important Splitter and Anderson were to this team and their championship endgame. It's not that I know they're the answer, it's that I know they have the potential to be those small pieces of glue that complete the puzzle -- players capable of stepping up to fulfill need for a few minutes, a game, a series or the duration of the playoffs.

People need to, if not embrace, then at least accept that this is what this team is now. This notion that, if they're to do it, it has to be done how they used to do it, is foolish. This isn't that time and this isn't that team. It's a different team, with different strengths and weaknesses than the teams of yesteryear. Not that they can't out savvy and out guile a team anymore, but they're more likely to out talent a team now.

In saying that, they're still a top ten defensive team (with playing a lot of their best defensive personnel either limited minutes or hardly any minutes at all) and they've played well defensively in six of their last eight. And despite the faster pace, they're still one of the best in the league at taking care of the ball and one of the two best at not fouling. All stats that indicate that they're not exactly the Clippers, Wizards, etc., when it comes to basketball IQ.

Ice009
01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
People need to, if not embrace, then at least accept that this is what this team is now. This notion that, if they're to do it, it has to be done how they used to do it, is foolish. This isn't that time and this isn't that team. It's a different team, with different strengths and weaknesses than the teams of yesteryear. Not that they can't out savvy and out guile a team anymore, but they're more likely to out talent a team now.

People would accept the team for what it is more if Splitter was given a chance. Lots of people feel Splitter needs that chance to see if he is good enough or not.

easjer
01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Every time I've personally seen Splitter, he's been shit. Perhaps others who have seen more games see something I don't. But based on what I've seen, I'm getting the impression that there is a reason he's not getting minutes beyond what Pop-haters want to cling to (Pop never plays/develops rookies correctly).

I think the reality is that the team is what it is. Barring a trade - which I don't see happening for multiple reasons, and I question what our pieces can bring that would result in miraculous improvement for the team - what we see is what we're getting.

Continuing to whine that they aren't what they were - when they are keeping up the best record in the league over nearly half the season - is getting tiresome. I recognize there are problems. There were with the championship teams as well. I'd like to see them make fewer mental errors; but as mentioned above, they are only human. It's a long slog and they've got little incentive to make that effort towards improvement.

They had a wake-up call in NY & Boston. It seems they've responded to some degree; defense is better than it was. I hope that things will go as they have in the past; the rodeo trip helps refine them, the starters get more minutes, and the rotation tightens up.

But I doubt very much that things will change drastically, outside of working Anderson in. I've yet to see a reason for Tiago to be on the floor, no matter how much people think he'll be a golden god out there. If that ultimately means we lose, well, 29 teams will. Won't be the end of the world. The end of an era, perhaps, but that was always going to come eventually.

200 miles
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Every time I've personally seen Splitter, he's been shit. Perhaps others who have seen more games see something I don't. But based on what I've seen, I'm getting the impression that there is a reason he's not getting minutes beyond what Pop-haters want to cling to (Pop never plays/develops rookies correctly).

I think the reality is that the team is what it is. Barring a trade - which I don't see happening for multiple reasons, and I question what our pieces can bring that would result in miraculous improvement for the team - what we see is what we're getting.

Continuing to whine that they aren't what they were - when they are keeping up the best record in the league over nearly half the season - is getting tiresome. I recognize there are problems. There were with the championship teams as well. I'd like to see them make fewer mental errors; but as mentioned above, they are only human. It's a long slog and they've got little incentive to make that effort towards improvement.

They had a wake-up call in NY & Boston. It seems they've responded to some degree; defense is better than it was. I hope that things will go as they have in the past; the rodeo trip helps refine them, the starters get more minutes, and the rotation tightens up.

But I doubt very much that things will change drastically, outside of working Anderson in. I've yet to see a reason for Tiago to be on the floor, no matter how much people think he'll be a golden god out there. If that ultimately means we lose, well, 29 teams will. Won't be the end of the world. The end of an era, perhaps, but that was always going to come eventually.

Was the 1st half against the Thunder on Jan. 1 the only time this season you have seen Splitter play? If not, you should give him a bit more credit than just "shit".

Ice009
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I've watched every game and this is my take percentage wise on the time he's been on the floor. I'm not going to count garbage time. How many games have you seen Splitter play?

offensively - I'd say 30% he's been good 70% he's been bad
defensively - 65% he's been good and 35% he's been bad

compare that to Blair who I'd rate

Offensively - 30% good 70% bad
Defensively 15% good and 85% bad

I haven't been impressed with Blair much at all this season. He's had some very good games, but other than that he's been pretty average. That could be attributed to him playing against other teams starters though, but it's hard to know cause Pop won't bench him. He could absolutely start going off if he is matched up against other teams benches, but if he continues to play bad against other teams starters and only get 10 minutes a game he could continue to look bad.

What is the point of having 10 minutes of Blair struggle against other teams starters when you could have 20 minutes of beast Blair against other teams reserves? Blair could start playing a lot better if he wasn't matched up against the starters of the other teams all the time. The defensive chemistry just doesn't seem to be there between Tim and DeJuan either.

Do you guys think Pop is using Blair as a placeholder? I mean will he start Antonio later on?

SenorSpur
01-09-2011, 11:26 PM

Yes, it is a definite concern. I do find it amazing that with the veteran core of this roster having played together for so long and the coaching excellence they have, that this team would continue making such careless mistakes.

You can understand why teams like the T-Pups have high turnover rates and collapse down the stretch of ball games - they have a host of young players that are inexperienced. The Spurs are not that type of team. Which makes this consistent rash of mistakes even more unforgiveable.

Sean mentioned on the telecast that the Spurs have slightly reduced the number of turnovers this year. However, the problem STILL persists. The traveling calls, stepping out of bounds, 3-second violations, ill-advised technical calls, etc. And the Big Three are leading the way in those categories.

Spurs7794
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Splitter was playing very well both on offense and defense until Bonner came back. Then Splitter started getting erratic minutes and his confidence plummeted. Now I don't want to take Bonner out of the rotation, I think he's important but I cannot fathom why Blair hasn't been benched yet. Blair constantly fakes a pass to one of our ball handlers and tries to shake n bake his way to the hoop which he usualyl completes like 20% of the time (I'm not counting when he turns it over, only the shot he throws up...if I was counting turn overs on those plays, it would be like 5% of the time). I HATE WATCHING HIM...if he is thinking he is gonna shoot in a possession, NO WAY the ball is getting out of his hands. That and his D is awful.

Brazil
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Do you guys think Pop is using Blair as a placeholder? I mean will he start Antonio later on?

I do think so but with Pop you never know.

As of today Bonner deserves more minutes than Blair. If Blair doesn't rebound / hustle he is a pure liability in O and D. If Pop was serious about his D phylosophy he should bench Blair and give a chance to Splitter. Splitter is doing what we could expect, he is a D presence and O he is good on pick and roll situation.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
We give away to many possessions in games now. This has been going on since 2008.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Spurs are on a record pace at 31-6 and have beaten Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets and Suns. How is it that we are making 'mental errors and poor judgement' but still capable of beating all Western Conference playoff contenders? All teams commit errors just be glad that most teams are 'stupid' to commit more than we do.

sa_butta
01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Spurs are on a record pace at 31-6 and have beaten Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets and Suns. How is it that we are making 'mental errors and poor judgement' but still capable of beating all Western Conference playoff contenders? All teams commit errors just be glad that most teams are 'stupid' to commit more than we do.
I don't think the complaint is in the record, but in the games they are making mistakes and errors that could cost them games...Luckily there is still time to fix these things, but if they don't clean it up they will find themselves struggling in the playoffs. We should be mopping the floor with a team like the Timberwolves, but we let them get back into it with errant passes and mental mistakes...I notice alot of times the guards get caught in the air and try to make cross court passes or trying to thread the needle between defenders...

Sofaking
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Blair with all his problems is still better than Splitter who had shown shit thus far but all of his fans are on his jock still. Dude reminds me of that French bum center we let sign with the mavs when it comes to his fans on here. Honestly I've seen splitter make a bunch of mistakes on both ends but I guess we should just keep giving minutes huh? Bonnar gets a lot of hate but this yr>>> Split.

Sofaking
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I do think so but with Pop you never know.

As of today Bonner deserves more minutes than Blair. If Blair doesn't rebound / hustle he is a pure liability in O and D. If Pop was serious about his D phylosophy he should bench Blair and give a chance to Splitter. Splitter is doing what we could expect, he is a D presence and O he is good on pick and roll situation. I commend you for sticking up for ur country man but splitter is not all as advertised on d and his offense is close to terrible. He's not a better pick n roll player than Blair by far(on offense) on D he's the far better pick n roll defender but he doesn't rebound nor block shots. Statistically on d, Blair is better.

George Gervin's Afro
01-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think the complaint is in the record, but in the games they are making mistakes and errors that could cost them games...Luckily there is still time to fix these things, but if they don't clean it up they will find themselves struggling in the playoffs. We should be mopping the floor with a team like the Timberwolves, but we let them get back into it with errant passes and mental mistakes...I notice alot of times the guards get caught in the air and try to make cross court passes or trying to thread the needle between defenders...

what butta said

Brazil
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I commend you for sticking up for ur country man but splitter is not all as advertised on d and his offense is close to terrible. He's not a better pick n roll player than Blair by far(on offense) on D he's the far better pick n roll defender but he doesn't rebound nor block shots. Statistically on d, Blair is better.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, I'm not brazilian, I'm french and I'm living in Brazil so I have 0 reason to be a homer regarding Splitter.
For the rest, considering his size he has a much higher ceiling than Blair to defend againts the toughest front courts mainly LA and Boston and I do consider he is a better defender than Blair. Offensively I agree he is a mess but he has the tools to be the guy who can take D load off Duncan back.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-10-2011, 04:28 PM

All teams make mistakes. I find it humorous that Spurs fans somehow think that only their team is the one to make mistakes or that other teams can somehow magically correct their issues moreso than the Spurs. Common locus of control theory...base others woes on circumstantial while ours are self-inflicted.

DubMcDub
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Every team makes mistakes and has lapses in judgment, even the great ones. It's not a big deal (and this is coming from someone who has no bias for the Spurs). Winning is all that really matters, and besides, these type of mistakes are more random than anything. You can't assume it's some trend that will continue into the playoffs.

Ice009
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Exactly. You shouldn't have to explain this though.

Blair with all his problems is still better than Splitter who had shown shit thus far but all of his fans are on his jock still. Dude reminds me of that French bum center we let sign with the mavs when it comes to his fans on here. Honestly I've seen splitter make a bunch of mistakes on both ends but I guess we should just keep giving minutes huh? Bonnar gets a lot of hate but this yr>>> Split.

Blair got a chance when he was a rookie. He got a chance to start games. Why can't Splitter get that same chance? I know you're a Blair fan, but IMO Splitter deserves a real chance like Blair got last season and then if he doesn't perform at all then you can bench him.

Blackjack
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Great take Blackjack.

I'd be OK with taking either approach, either playing to their strengths and not trying to play like a typical Spurs team because we don't have the personnel to do it, but having said that when are we going to find out if Splitter can be that guy?

What you said is exactly what I thought Splitter could be. A very good glue guy like Oberto. I never expected him to be a star. I did expect him to be a smart glue guy like Oberto though. Is Pop going to give him a chance?

Unfortunately, looks like next year.

With every game that passes and each opportunity for Splitter to play being opted out of by Pop, it gets harder and harder to honestly make the case that the Coach will come to rely upon him come the playoffs.

Unless Tiago just plays some undeniably good and helpful ball in a stretch of sporadic outings -- against good competition (i.e., extremely tough to do and unlikely) -- he's heading towards being the Spurs' 2011 victory cigar.

Unfortunate . . .

DMC
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Every team has problems. Like Pop once said (or he may have said many many times), it's a game of errors. You just try to minimize them. I guess in between the errors is where your game lives. Pop didn't say all that, or maybe he did and I didn't hear it.

DMC
01-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Exactly. You shouldn't have to explain this though.

Blair got a chance when he was a rookie. He got a chance to start games. Why can't Splitter get that same chance? I know you're a Blair fan, but IMO Splitter deserves a real chance like Blair got last season and then if he doesn't perform at all then you can bench him.
Blair showed up for training camp. Blair practiced all Summer and played in the Summer games. Tiago was busy modeling underwear, or playing for that fag team he played for.

Speaking of fag teams, how faggish is "Kinder Bologna"? A more friendly sausage... great.

TheChillFactor
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
you guys act like the teams we had in the past were perfect. we have four banners won by teams that fucked up constantly:

1999- People thought we would choke in the playoffs like always. I remember game 2 vs. Minnesota and game 2 vs. Portland and thinking, "aww fuck here we go again."

2003- This team gave up 20 point leads fucking constantly. Esp that bullshit shot by Marbury in game 1 of the first round...the Dallas game where they were 49 of 50 from the line or some fucking bullshit. Game 6 vs. Dallas when they had us down 20 points in the 2nd half. We'll never win with this Euro dumbfuck Ginobili turning the ball over constantly...

2005- This team didn't have the toughness to beat the mighty Detroit Pistons. Esp the way they took our lunch money in games 3 and 4. Pop on the bench patting Tim's knee....AWW FUCK IT'S OVER DOOOOMMMZZ.

2007- There was no fucking way we were going to beat Dallas in the playoffs with our old and shitty roster. Dirk fucking owned us that year...yikes, Devin Harris! what will we do???

Currently we have the best record in the league and a hell of a shot at 1) getting HCA throughout 2) beating LA in the playoffs 3) facing an old Boston team or a not-quite-there-yet Miami team.

Please chill the fuck out until further notice...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Nice post, ChillFactor. I was going to say something similar but will take a different tack.

It sounds trite, but we're 31-6 and that indicates to me that we're making fewer mental errors than our opponents... in fact, a lot fewer.

Sure, mistakes are being made, but I challenge you to watch other teams and count the number of mental errors they make. It is easy to nit-pick when you're only intent upon the object of your desire.

That being said, is this team complete or yet playing at a Championship level? No sirree. The D has a way to go to be elite, although we've already seen the elite-level defense this team is capable of at times, especially down the stretch. And, yes, the offensive decision-making also has some way to go.

However, I'm glad we're not championship-ready yet because if we were we would have peaked too early. It is simply not possible for most teams to hit their Championship level and maintain it for half the regular season plus playoffs. That's what SPAM is about, Peaking After March.

The thing we should be thankful for is that this team looks capable of a strong SPAM, and in that case can probably contend. Last year's team never even looking like SPAMing.

Finally, I would note that we've been in a bit of a slump since the LAL-DAL-OKC-WAS victories, and quite frankly, we were due one. The team will break through this funk soon enough and start clicking again, and I think that when they do we'll see them jump another gear, into 3rd. We'll find 4th in SPAM, 5th in the early rounds of the playoffs, and if everything comes together, 6th in the Finals. ;)

The road to a trophy is a delicate balance, but at least this team looks to have a shot at it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Blair showed up for training camp. Blair practiced all Summer and played in the Summer games. Tiago was busy modeling underwear, or playing for that fag team he played for.

Speaking of fag teams, how faggish is "Kinder Bologna"? A more friendly sausage... great.

Homophobic slurs against our players. :rolleyes

...and then ignorant dismissal of anything foreign. Charming. :nope

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of what the rest of the world hates about America.

DPG21920
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

That, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of what the rest of the world hates about America.

:lol Because only America is racist and homophobic? I take it you have never traveled Europe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
:lol Because only America is racist and homophobic? I take it you have never traveled Europe.

No, I've traveled Europe, and I'm aware that the whole world is racist and homophobic. However, I have seen ignorant Americans making fun of things they don't understand far more than I have people of other races. For example, the prcatice of many Americans to mangle a foreign name and then dismissively say "whatever" and continue to mock said name (all because they are embarrassed by their ignorance deep down) is commonplace, and it shits me to tears. Show a little fucking respect. We all get things wrong and misunderstand things from toher cultures, but mockery does not have to accompany ignorance.

frodo
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM

spain is more racism-minded than any country imho. Athletico Bilbao consists of only local players who were all brown and grew up in Basque.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
BTW, my comment was centred on the ignorant comment, not the homophobia. Homophobia is endemic worldwide, especially on sports message boards. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
spain is more racism-minded than any country imho. Athletico Bilbao consists of only local players who were all brown and grew up in Basque.

Read what I said. I am not talking about racism. I am talking about mocking what you don't understand, which is a subtly different thing, and goes hand-in-hand with anti-intellectualism (ie. mocking those who do understand things that you don't understand).

All racists certainly mock what they don't understand (ie. other races/cultures), but all of those who mock what they don't understand aren't necessarily racists.

In other news, it looks like the Rockets are going to beat the Celts at home! :wow

frodo
01-10-2011, 09:42 PM
No, I've traveled Europe, and I'm aware that the whole world is racist and homophobic. However, I have seen ignorant Americans making fun of things they don't understand far more than I have people of other races. For example, the prcatice of many Americans to mangle a foreign name and then dismissively say "whatever" and continue to mock said name (all because they are embarrassed by their ignorance deep down) is commonplace, and it shits me to tears. Show a little fucking respect. We all get things wrong and misunderstand things from toher cultures, but mockery does not have to accompany ignorance.

america is an immigrant country with an immigrant population of nearly 100m, and that doesn't include those born in america to immigrant parents (like mono picklebreath brothers). those "arrogant" americans you've met are more likely to be immigrants rather than "real americans" tbh. immigrants are prolific like rats

their procreation/proliferation has been just uncontrollable tbh.

DPG21920
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Well we can all agree that mocking something you don't understand is a mental error and racism shows poor judgment.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
america is an immigrant country with an immigrant population of nearly 100m, and that doesn't include those born in america to immigrant parents (like mono picklebreath brothers). those "arrogant" americans you've met are more likely to be immigrants rather than "real americans" tbh. immigrants are prolific like rats

their procreation/proliferation has been just uncontrollable tbh.

I never used the word "arrogant", I said "ignorant". Very different words. You really need to work on your reading comprehension and stop imagining what I said.

I have a broad experience of wonderful and horrible people from many countries, but I find Americans (in general, of course, certainly many aren't) to be the most dismissive of things they don't understand and won't even try to understand because of their firm belief in the superiority of their nation over all others.

As for your ideas about your "immigrant nation", you have no idea what you're saying, do you? You think Caucasians spontaneously arose in North America? You're all immigrants except the First Nations, just as 21.75mil of Australia's 22mil are immigrants (all but the Aborigines). Also, the largest proportion of the US population is Caucasian, so Caucasians too "breed like rats". Check your head, kid, because you got some messed up notions in there. It ain't a case of US vs THEM. Humans are humans, and in general we all behave in pretty much the same way. Birth rates have far more to do with level of education and wealth than anything else (ie the richer and more educated a nation, the lower its birthrate in ganeral).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Well we can all agree that mocking something you don't understand is a mental error and racism shows poor judgment.

...and that pointing out DMC's mental error and poor judgement was a mental error and a porr judgement on my part! :lmao ;)

frodo
01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I never used the word "arrogant", I said "ignorant". Very different words. You really need to work on your reading comprehension and stop imagining what I said.

I have a broad experience of wonderful and horrible people from many countries, but I find Americans too be the most dismissive of things they don't understand and won't even try to understand because of their firm belief in the superiority of their nation over all others.

As for your ideas about your "immigrant nation", you have no idea what you're saying, do you? You think Caucasians spontaneously arose in North America? You're all immigrants except the First Nations, just as 21.75mil of Australia's 22mil are immigrants (all but the Aborigines). Also, the largest proportion of the US population is Caucasian, so Caucasians too "breed like rats". Check your head, kid, because you got some messed up notions in there. It ain't a case of US vs THEM. Humans are humans, and in general we all behave in pretty much the same way. Birth rates have far more to do with level of education and wealth than anything else (ie the richer and more educated a nation, the lower its birthrate in ganeral).
those who moved to america in the 70s last century shouldn't be equated to the earliest european settlers, just saying. Maoris were the only residents in australia when james cooke discovered that island, it was not until then that australia started urbanizing and developing. australia was only a crude land back then tbh.

America was roughly the same figure when the Columbus crew first discovered this continent, imho. europeans settlers transformed the crude land into an industrial country.

however, america/australia were already developed countries in the 70s last century, when hoards of immigrants surged in for better living circumstances. immigrants only gnawed at the wealth of the countries which were already well developed

DMC
01-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Go cry over a tube of Vagisil you faggot.

That's a prime example that this American don't give a fuck what you or the rest of the world think. We aren't here following some Aussie rugby team or dart competition.

Don't get me started on you wankers.

DMC
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
No.

Mocking what you don't understand is fun. When you understand it, it's not fun anymore.

Why you take our fun and squoosh it like a bug, man?

Racism? Some of you have no idea what that means.

DMC
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM

I have a broad experience of wonderful and horrible people from many countries, but I find Americans (in general, of course, certainly many aren't) to be the most dismissive of things they don't understand and won't even try to understand because of their firm belief in the superiority of their nation over all others.

RuffnReady sounds too fucking homosexual. If someone here said they were ruff and ready, there would be 200 threads with every video and photoshopped gay pic in the world about it in two hours.

Texas has a higher population than your country, dickhead.

DMC
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
You want separation, go to Finland. They openly proclaim the N word in restuarants. One old lady asked me "What did Obama do to become Nobel prize winner besides be "N". She said it loud and no one looked. She said then "I know you don't say that word in your country, but that's what he is".

I've been all around this globe for years, racism is alive and well everywhere, and the States just gets all the publicity.

DMC
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
you guys act like the teams we had in the past were perfect. we have four banners won by teams that fucked up constantly:

1999- People thought we would choke in the playoffs like always. I remember game 2 vs. Minnesota and game 2 vs. Portland and thinking, "aww fuck here we go again."

2003- This team gave up 20 point leads fucking constantly. Esp that bullshit shot by Marbury in game 1 of the first round...the Dallas game where they were 49 of 50 from the line or some fucking bullshit. Game 6 vs. Dallas when they had us down 20 points in the 2nd half. We'll never win with this Euro dumbfuck Ginobili turning the ball over constantly...

2005- This team didn't have the toughness to beat the mighty Detroit Pistons. Esp the way they took our lunch money in games 3 and 4. Pop on the bench patting Tim's knee....AWW FUCK IT'S OVER DOOOOMMMZZ.

2007- There was no fucking way we were going to beat Dallas in the playoffs with our old and shitty roster. Dirk fucking owned us that year...yikes, Devin Harris! what will we do???

Currently we have the best record in the league and a hell of a shot at 1) getting HCA throughout 2) beating LA in the playoffs 3) facing an old Boston team or a not-quite-there-yet Miami team.

You sir, are a great man. Chill there in your avatar was cool as shit too. No one cares, but him and I used to hang out. Now he's got more kids than Jerry.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2011, 11:21 PM
those who moved to america in the 70s last century shouldn't be equated to the earliest european settlers, just saying. Maoris were the only residents in australia when james cooke discovered that island, it was not until then that australia started urbanizing and developing. australia was only a crude land back then tbh.

America was roughly the same figure when the Columbus crew first discovered this continent, imho. europeans settlers transformed the crude land into an industrial country.

however, america/australia were already developed countries in the 70s last century, when hoards of immigrants surged in for better living circumstances. immigrants only gnawed at the wealth of the countries which were already well developed

Wrong in so many ways. Maoris were indigenous to NZ, Aborigines indigenous to Australia. Of course Australia "developed" after it was colonized by the British, just as the US did shortly beforehand. We are both recent immigrant nations derived mostly from the Brits (who are themselves mostly Germanic after said Germanic peoples slaughtered most of the true Celts). Your point? We all immigrants, and even if we're not, so what? You're saying a "true American" cannot have immigrated to the country recently - why, exactly? Surely the "truth" of one's nationhood lies in what one contributes, not how long one has been resident. And to pretend that recent immigrants don't work as hard or harder than people who have been in a country a few more generations is a media-created fantasy.

Go cry over a tube of Vagisil you faggot.

That's a prime example that this American don't give a fuck what you or the rest of the world think. We aren't here following some Aussie rugby team or dart competition.

Don't get me started on you wankers.

No.

Mocking what you don't understand is fun. When you understand it, it's not fun anymore.

Why you take our fun and squoosh it like a bug, man?

Racism? Some of you have no idea what that means.

RuffnReady sounds too fucking homosexual. If someone here said they were ruff and ready, there would be 200 threads with every video and photoshopped gay pic in the world about it in two hours.

Texas has a higher population than your country, dickhead.

And the ape-like moron proves my point perfectly with his ignorant non-sequiturs and homophobic insults. Well done, sir. :toast

Capt Bringdown
01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
RuffnReady, did you know that you can become a moderator of this site? That's right, the ignore list feature allows you to have your own personalized/moderated view of the forum. I love it!

As it happens, when ignorance and hate gets challenged on internet forums, the result is most often even more ignorance and hate by the perpetrators and their little friends. Best to file them to your own personal ban list IMO.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2011, 12:38 AM
RuffnReady, did you know that you can become a moderator of this site? That's right, the ignore list feature allows you to have your own personalized/moderated view of the forum. I love it!

As it happens, when ignorance and hate gets challenged on internet forums, the result is most often even more ignorance and hate by the perpetrators and their little friends. Best to file them to your own personal ban list IMO.

True. I just felt like having some fun.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Before the flamewar, here's what I actually posted on topic:

Nice post, ChillFactor. I was going to say something similar but will take a different tack.

It sounds trite, but we're 31-6 and that indicates to me that we're making fewer mental errors than our opponents... in fact, a lot fewer.

Sure, mistakes are being made, but I challenge you to watch other teams and count the number of mental errors they make. It is easy to nit-pick when you're only intent upon the object of your desire.

That being said, is this team complete or yet playing at a Championship level? No sirree. The D has a way to go to be elite, although we've already seen the elite-level defense this team is capable of at times, especially down the stretch. And, yes, the offensive decision-making also has some way to go.

However, I'm glad we're not championship-ready yet because if we were we would have peaked too early. It is simply not possible for most teams to hit their Championship level and maintain it for half the regular season plus playoffs. That's what SPAM is about, Peaking After March.

The thing we should be thankful for is that this team looks capable of a strong SPAM, and in that case can probably contend. Last year's team never even looked like SPAMing.

Finally, I would note that we've been in a bit of a slump since the LAL-DAL-OKC-WAS victories, and quite frankly, we were due one. The team will break through this funk soon enough and start clicking again, and I think that when they do we'll see them jump another gear, into 3rd. We'll find 4th in SPAM, 5th in the early rounds of the playoffs, and if everything comes together, 6th in the Finals.

The road to a trophy is a delicate balance, but at least this team looks to have a shot at it.

GSH
01-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Before the flamewar, here's what I actually posted on topic:

The thing we should be thankful for is that this team looks capable of a strong SPAM, and in that case can probably contend. Last year's team never even looked like SPAMing.

Finally, I would note that we've been in a bit of a slump since the LAL-DAL-OKC-WAS victories, and quite frankly, we were due one. The team will break through this funk soon enough and start clicking again, and I think that when they do we'll see them jump another gear, into 3rd. We'll find 4th in SPAM, 5th in the early rounds of the playoffs, and if everything comes together, 6th in the Finals.

I've been harping on this subject since early in the season. The problem is that a lot of the really egregious mental errors are coming from the vets. When I think of other championship teams, most have been groups that strive for, and expect, excellence. And they drill it into the rookies from the day they show up. I don't get that feeling out of this bunch. I know I'm getting a little tired of seeing Tim and Manu (in particular) barking at some of the other guys, in games where they have been very loose themselves, to say the least.

But whether this team operates like a machine or not, those mental errors often make most of the difference late in the playoffs. A lot of time the momentum swings on a few more unforced errors by one team. If the Spurs don't cut down on them now, they aren't going to do it in the post-season.

Some people may not think it's that important, but it's still probably my biggest concern for this team. I think they can overcome their limitations in the middle, and I think they can (and will) improve somewhat on the defensive end. But I think that 5-6 bonehead plays per game could be eliminated without expecting too much of anyone. And if they aren't eliminated, it will cost them trophy number five. This team isn't going to bulldoze through the playoffs. They are good but not that good. They are going to have to play smart. And right now they could stand to improve in that regard.

Ice009
01-11-2011, 05:14 AM
I've been harping on this subject since early in the season. The problem is that a lot of the really egregious mental errors are coming from the vets. When I think of other championship teams, most have been groups that strive for, and expect, excellence. And they drill it into the rookies from the day they show up. I don't get that feeling out of this bunch. I know I'm getting a little tired of seeing Tim and Manu (in particular) barking at some of the other guys, in games where they have been very loose themselves, to say the least.

But whether this team operates like a machine or not, those mental errors often make most of the difference late in the playoffs. A lot of time the momentum swings on a few more unforced errors by one team. If the Spurs don't cut down on them now, they aren't going to do it in the post-season.

Some people may not think it's that important, but it's still probably my biggest concern for this team. I think they can overcome their limitations in the middle, and I think they can (and will) improve somewhat on the defensive end. But I think that 5-6 bonehead plays per game could be eliminated without expecting too much of anyone. And if they aren't eliminated, it will cost them trophy number five. This team isn't going to bulldoze through the playoffs. They are good but not that good. They are going to have to play smart. And right now they could stand to improve in that regard.

Great post mate.

This is exactly what I am talking about. A lot these errors are coming from the vets. I recall past Championship teams made errors too, but the vets didn't usually make as many as the young guys on the team.

Manu has yelled a Dice a few times and then made the stupidest pass a few plays later.

It's all about the playoffs and like you said if they make these errors then we are screwed. We have a chance to win, but not if we keep making these mistakes. Gotta play a lot smarter than this because other teams have advantages against us and we can't simply out talent them to win. The only chance we got is if we play smart. We've got to start striving for excellence now and get that ingrained sooner rather than later.

SenorSpur
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Great post mate.

This is exactly what I am talking about. A lot these errors are coming from the vets. I recall past Championship teams made errors too, but the vets didn't usually make as many as the young guys on the team.

Manu has yelled a Dice a few times and then made the stupidest pass a few plays later.

It's all about the playoffs and like you said if they make these errors then we are screwed. We have a chance to win, but not if we keep making these mistakes. Gotta play a lot smarter than this because other teams have advantages against us and we can't simply out talent them to win. The only chance we got is if we play smart. We've got to start striving for excellence now and get that ingrained sooner rather than later.

For the vets (TP, Tim & Manu) they're living in the proverbial "glass house", so throwing stones at others may be somewhat dicey.

How many times have we seen Tim draw a careless defensive foul, get called for an ill-advised defensive 3-second violation, or shuffle his feet before putting the ball on the floor for a drive and getting called for traveling? How many times do we see Manu force a terrible pass into traffic or draw an unnecessary frustration foul? How many times has TP stepped on the out-of-bounds endline, as he's preparing to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket?

The point is the Big Three will always have more opportunties to make errors simply because they handle the ball so much and are afforded many more opportunities to make plays for the team. While I believe team chemistry is very strong, however they need to be careful about chastizing others, when they're making more than their share of boneheaded errors and turnovers themselves.

slayermin
01-11-2011, 12:21 PM

What up, ChillFactor? I'm with you. I'm just enjoying this season like a fine wine, or in my case, sipping a double or triple shot of Herradura. All my friends here in SA are doing the same. Let's see where this team takes us. It's a long season and we aren't even at the halfway point yet.

arodz
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm homophobic, but not racist...homosexuality is a choice, being born a skin color is not.

OK this thread has really skewed into something else.

:deadhorse

mingus
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM

never heard that, been everywhere throughout the U.S., have a german-jewish last name that is pretty rare wherever i go and though people butcher it from time to time, i've never heard anyone say "whatever" or be disrespectful.

Wilford Brimley
01-12-2011, 03:26 AM
never heard that, been everywhere throughout the U.S., have a german-jewish last name that is pretty rare wherever i go and though people butcher it from time to time, i've never heard anyone say "whatever" or be disrespectful.

I've heard it plenty of times, but it's not so much in the mispronunciation of names as it's in the misidentification of ethnicities. Slopes get this all the time, cause people think all asians are chinese.