PDA

View Full Version : Last play block or foul?

Rummpd
01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
From the angle I had it looked like a blatant foul on Pierce on Manu's shooting arm but the homer announcer said it was a block???

Amarelooms
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
flop

:elephant

Ice009
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
It was a clean block.

Tim should have passed him the ball the first time when he was open so he had time to do something.

FUCKING stupid team.

Rummpd
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
There was no flop - something stopped that ball going forward and it looked on the replay that even the Boston announcer said Pierce was all over Manu's arm..

Spurs Brazil
block

jag
:lol a foul?

cd98
Block. Dice was wide open on the roll.

Refocus
Meh, it was clean.

but i'm willing to bet that's not exactly what Pop had in mind for the last play. :wakeup

Rummpd
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok if it was a clean block I accept it as Manu should have just drove the lane anyway - tx

Texas_Ranger
Don't really care if it was a foul. They deserved to lose. 60% shooting by Boston is just pathetic for the Spurs defense.

Sean Cagney
F in shitty team is gonna start losing now it seems :( I hope not but I am pissed tonight.

Lady M
stupide play Bonner or Dice was alone

ShoogarBear
01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
No way there should have been a call on the last play.

Sean Cagney
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Don't really care if it was a foul. They deserved to lose. 60% shooting by Boston is just pathetic for the Spurs defense.

Yep, my concern and it will continue to be is the D! This teams D is horrible compared to the past. If the threes are not falling like crazy etc. etc. this team has no D to rely on anymore, which is why they will not go far in the playoffs IMO.

I hope it changes, but the D is pathetic and definitely not nearly as good as it was.

timvp
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Clean block. The correct move would have been passing to McDyess. Duncan was holding Big Baby and there wasn't another Celtic within 20 feet.

Oh well. Can't blame Ginobili ... he makes the right play there 90% of the time.

Mugen
01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Clean block. The correct move would have been passing to McDyess. Duncan was holding Big Baby and there wasn't another Celtic within 20 feet.

Oh well. Can't blame Ginobili ... he makes the right play there 90% of the time.

the other 10% usually happens during Game 7 WCSFs.

romsho
01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
That ball did not fly like a blocked shot..it flew like either arm or hand on the follow thru. Pierce or Allen might get that call at home.

baseline bum
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Looked like a great play from Pierce. He really made up for that dumbass turnover a couple of plays before.

stealthjbravo
01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
That ball did not fly like a blocked shot..it flew like either arm or hand on the follow thru. Pierce or Allen might get that call at home.

Yep

xmas1997
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been enjoying the wins this year, but I've been worried and cautious all along that without CONSISTENT lock down D, there will be no championship this year regardless of regular season record.
Hopefully they will address this and solve it during the rodeo road trip.

timvp
01-05-2011, 10:16 PM
the other 10% usually happens during Game 7 WCSFs.

That's the first play I thought of ... Ginobili not passing it to a wide open Robert Horry in the last play of regulation :pctoss

senorglory
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
flop

:elephant

lol.

freakin mavs fans. :downspin:

TampaDude
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I've been enjoying the wins this year, but I've been worried and cautious all along that without CONSISTENT lock down D, there will be no championship this year regardless of regular season record.

Yup...without a good defense, we're just the 2007 Mavs. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Shoogar, you'll never be a great announcer like Tommy Heinsohn with that attitude.

Repeat after me:

"That was a BLATANT FOUL by Pierce there! Are the refs blind? They call him the Truth, they should call him the THUG!"

senorglory
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I hope it changes, but the D is pathetic and definitely not nearly as good as it was.

Does our D look worse because our offense is sputtering, compared to earlier in the season?

Sean Cagney
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM

I agree, without that D we are an O team who will not get far in the playoffs! We all used to make fun of teams who did not play D and said no title to all of them and we were right! The Spurs right now are that high scoring team with little D it seems :( I know the record is great but honestly in the back of mind I know as is this is not a title team.

I hope they improve alot on that, hell they have to.

BTW don't just look for the rodeo trip to solve all problems, we have said this the last few years and it did not solve the deficiencies on this team. There are glaring spots, some can be fixed some I am afraid can not (Lets face it POP is gonna play that bum Bonner too much in games like this and it hurt tonight).

u4lakers14
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
From the angle I had it looked like a blatant foul on Pierce on Manu's shooting arm but the homer announcer said it was a block???

i didnt see the play but it was most surely a foul.

manu is lucky to still be alive after the refs allowed him to be raped and assaulted like that. (but i didnt see the play, just going by your post)

i think the league should look into it, and then the police should be called.

emanueldavidginobili
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
it was a obvious block manu didnt even try to support his case he just walked off

Spurminator
01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Block. Your angle must have been the blind one.

UnWantedTheory
01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
It didn't look like a clean block to me, but I dont care. He missed Dice & we shouldn't have been in the situation regardless.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Easily a block. Celtics deserved the win. We'll get back at Boston on March 31st.

Seventyniner
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I understand wanting a 3, but an open 2 is much better than that junk Manu threw up.

mingus
01-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Manu made the mistake of not passing it to a wide open McDyess.

KaiRMD1
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
It was neither, it was a terrible looking shot is what it was. Celtics team played hard.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Block.

Come on, rummpd.

dav4463
01-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Celtics played their absolute best tonight. They cannot shoot the ball any better. Yet, they only manage to win by two points at home.

Spurs are still 29-6 ! That is a great record!

Yet, we still bitch!

Please, enjoy the ride.........we could be Raptor or Bobcat fans with nothing to ever look forward to!

DeadlyDynasty
01-06-2011, 02:09 AM
i didnt see the play but it was most surely a foul.

manu is lucky to still be alive after the refs allowed him to be raped and assaulted like that. (but i didnt see the play, just going by your post)

i think the league should look into it, and then the police should be called.

:rollin

Hoops Czar
01-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Celtics played their absolute best tonight. They cannot shoot the ball any better. Yet, they only manage to win by two points at home.

Yet, we still bitch!

Please, enjoy the ride.........we could be Raptor or Bobcat fans with nothing to ever look forward to!

Isn't it funny how often its said that (insert team) played their absolute best tonight. They cannot shoot the ball any better. Logic would tell you that the Spurs have a lot to do with that. Here's the thing... When you leave players wide open, they tend to make the shots. This is the NBA, not the CBA.

What will a 29-6 record net you in the playoffs? I mean that is still the goal isn't it? To win in the playoffs?

SenorSpur
01-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Clean block. If Manu wasn't going to raise up and take the 3 to win it, he should've hit Dice who was alone alone rolling to the hoop. At least, they would've had the momentum and a chance to win it in OT.

jermaine
01-06-2011, 06:50 AM
That was just good basketball you like to see! To bad we was on the losing end!

Manu-of-steel
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
A block, clean one. Manu could have passed it McDyes. Or just lunged to get a shooting foul from Marquis Daniels, who is airborne already.

Rummpd
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugV4vLag7o

This video does show it does appear to be a clean block from a better angle, on the live feed and replay I had watching the game on a Boston channell it was not as clear.

Boston deserved to win anyway but it would have been awesome to see them leave the court stunned or at least have another 5 minutes of fun to watch basketball!

Boston is a damm good team and Rondo is a wizard but to the Spurs credit they did not give up when a lot of teams would of, albeit with the strange happening of Allen missing two straight FTs, late last PM.

Fabbs
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
A foul in the 1st 10 seconds should be called exactly the same as a call in the last 2 seconds. Idiotic NBA culture.

Seems like tv station refused to do a closeup. :rolleyes

LongtimeSpursFan
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Yet, we still bitch!

I agree. I can accept a 2 pt loss to the 2nd best team in the NBA on their home court. Neither team had a great defensive showing. Hope we see them in the Finals.

Fabbs
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugV4vLag7o
Wow! I knew Dyss was open but this video shows he was unguarded.
WIDE OPEN for uncontested layup.

Cut with the Kobme bullcrap, Manu.

kaji157
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
It was a clean block.

Tim should have passed him the ball the first time when he was open so he had time to do something.

FUCKING stupid team.

Agreed Tim brain farted on that one.

Agloco
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Clean, no question about it. The Celtics sniffed it out and didn't even cover the guy rolling to the bucket. They sold out on covering the three.

Good play call by Pop though. Go for the win on the road.

Bad execution by Manu. He got greedy. Should have passed it to McD.

On another note, the thing that bothers me most about Manus shot attempt is that it would have been a two anyway........

Wow! I knew Dyss was open but this video shows he was unguarded.
WIDE OPEN for uncontested layup.

Cut with the Kobme bullcrap, Manu.

Ok if it was a clean block I accept it as Manu should have just drove the lane anyway - tx

Yeah, Boston sold out on guarding the three. They realized that the Spurs would probably go for the win. They also knew who was going take take the shot as well.

Bad execution by Manu.

Agloco
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Clean block. If Manu wasn't going to raise up and take the 3 to win it, he should've hit Dice who was alone alone rolling to the hoop. At least, they would've had the momentum and a chance to win it in OT.

Gotta respectfully disagree here Senor.....

Go for the win on the road, especially on the second night of a back to back. Boston realized this and sniffed it out.

gsmith78
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
While Dice was open, the pass would have been difficult to make and very likely stolen. You can see the angles better on the video in this thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169778). Immediately after the pick Manu could have tried to hit Dice between the two defenders, but the pass would have been in easy reach for both of them, and the hesitation move Manu made at that point likely was him looking for an opening to pass. After that initial hesitation dribble, the two defenders had a solid wall blocking the pass to Dice. Once Manu swung around the 3 point line Timmy cut from the right side of the lane to the left and brought his defender with him right in front of Dice. In my opinion Dice rolled too far down the lane here with Timmy already hanging out in the paint. Had Dice stayed a few steps out, there would have been an open pass to him for a jumper at the corner of the paint as Manu swung around the 3 point line. Since Dice dove all the way to the bucket though, Timmy's defender effectively covered both big men and Manu was forced to try and take that shot 1 on 2.

It looked to me like it was just a very solid defensive stand for Boston. If Manu had tried to squeeze out a pass through the double team he likely would be getting ripped for throwing the ball away instead of failing to make that shot.

Agloco
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Isn't it funny how often its said that (insert team) played their absolute best tonight. They cannot shoot the ball any better. Logic would tell you that the Spurs have a lot to do with that. Here's the thing... When you leave players wide open, they tend to make the shots. This is the NBA, not the CBA.

What will a 29-6 record net you in the playoffs? I mean that is still the goal isn't it? To win in the playoffs?

Um no dumbass. Watching the game tells you that the Spurs had a lot to do with it. Logic alone doesn't get you there. :lol

Fact remains that the Spurs had a legit shot at both games despite the bad D. I'd be much more concerned if the Spurs played great in all phases and still lost.

DMC
01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
stupide play Bonner or Dice was alone

Dice I can see, but Bonner needs 400ft of space between him and the defender in order to get off a shot. Otherwise he puts the ball on the floor and... you know.

DMC
01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
If the team isn't playing great, that's as much of a concern as if they are playing great and losing. Losing is losing. You aren't guaranteed to ever start playing great.

There are many many more mistakes in the game than good plays. It's typical for any game to be that way. When you can get a win with that many mistakes, you are doing something right. Most here don't know what that was, exactly, but it's there. You just have to go through the film and see why the Spurs were so close at the end.

The Spurs normally make a 3rd quarter push. They didn't do so this time. Could be because of rotations, Pop was a bit quick on the trigger to start the game, or it could be because of tired legs (George wasn't attacking like he normally would in the 3rd). I also have no idea why Neal was pulled for so long, yet Bonner stayed in. I know his role, but he blows goats for a nickel a herd and still cannot find his dignity.

Waps1980
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Pierce played that very well, block all the way was no foul.

Josepatches_
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
While Dice was open, the pass would have been difficult to make and very likely stolen.

This.

It seems very easy from home.

Manu had the ball to win but this time we lost the game.That's all.

dbestpro
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM

I disagree. When you look at the replay Duncan goes to the hoop at the same time as Dice, which drags his man into the passing lane. Manu did not have a clear path pass as many think because he had drifted to his right while being double teamed. Duncan cam fron the right side. If Duncan had stayed put then Manu could have made the pass.

Solid D
01-06-2011, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=timvp;4876524]Clean block. The correct move would have been passing to McDyess. Duncan was holding Big Baby and there wasn't another Celtic within 20 feet.

My first thoughts, as well. The only foul on that play was Timmy pulling Big Baby close to his bossom.

Solid D
01-06-2011, 11:21 PM

My first thoughts, as well. The only foul on that play was Timmy pulling Big Baby close to his bossom.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
01-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Today Manu passed it and Duncan made a dumbass offensive foul. No bitching from the short bus brigade today? :toast

greyforest
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Today Manu passed it and Duncan made a dumbass offensive foul. No bitching from the short bus brigade today? :toast

i bitched a little, the refs were atrocious

manu the best
01-08-2011, 12:08 AM

AGREE .. we don't deserve the win if we play this bad defense ..

DMC
01-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I never pay attention to those last plays. It's like a last second KO when you've been getting your ass handed to you all match. Sure you won, but damn you look like shit now and your fight wasn't justified by your lucky blow.

Then again, it takes a significant effort to overcome a slump, so maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. In those final minutes, players don't care about foul trouble. They go all out, like the last round of a fight. Sometimes that effort was all they needed in the first place, but for some reason they were trying to play cerebral ball instead of instinctive ball. Pop might be the cause.