PDA

View Full Version : Final Play Call?

Mugen
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Somebody please explain Pop's logic of putting three bigs on the last play with basically no 3pt shooters to space the floor (Bonner doesnt count in the 4th).

Rito3d30
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
he bet all-in for Manu
Doc knew it

fucked up the play:bang

Yuixafun
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Too bad Manu wasn't looking to pass to a wide open Dice when his man left him to double.

greyforest
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
you're not gonna get the call on the road, usually. manu was almost able to get off the 3pt to be honest.

i think pop really wanted a 3, didn't want OT on a b2b.

Warlord23
01-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Here's the logic:

4 rings

EricB
01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Somebody please explain Pop's logic of putting three bigs on the last play with basically no 3pt shooters to space the floor (Bonner doesnt count in the 4th).

Bonner is a three point shooter and was guarded closely.

McDyess was wide open by the basket.

Ditty
01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I think Manu completly blew off the play. There was some reason that Mcdyess was out there, unless Ginobili was supposed to force it high to Duncan, and throw it down to Mcdyess for the easy lay-up.

Dyess can shoot those open 3's also I've seen him before games knock him down I rather have seen that also if he is open, but they should of went for the tie, the momentum would of swinged the spurs way in overtime.

Yuixafun
01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Yea I agree... the Celtics would have felt like shit after that stunning comeback to tie in the last minute and I believe the Spurs would have been flying around reinvigorated in the OT.

Manu...fuck... why didn't you dish off the Dice he was so open, Celtics were overloaded to the right.

Timmy seals his man Manu could even bounce pass and Dice is jamming home the tie.

Dex
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Manu's foot was on the line on the last shot, so it would've been a two anyways. Therefore, there was absolutely no benefit to him trying a contested shot from the perimeter with a wide open layup there for the taking.

Pretty sure Manu just couldn't see Dice rolling to the basket over the double-team, but still frustrating.

ducks
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
pretty stupid of manu to take that shot

ducks
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Manu's foot was on the line on the last shot, so it would've been a two anyways. Therefore, there was absolutely no benefit to him trying a contested shot from the perimeter with a wide open layup there for the taking.

Pretty sure Manu just couldn't see Dice rolling to the basket over the double-team, but still frustrating.

if tp missed the open dice
they would be 15 threads about it

Dex
01-05-2011, 11:19 PM

That's silly, ducks.

Everybody knows Parker never looks to pass anyways. :stirpot:

DMC
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM

There was a perceived benefit. That's how the players work. They don't get the benefit of Captain Hindsight.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
we need another closer, teams know ginoboli will always take that last play

DMC
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
You mean the guy who hit the side of the backboard on a wide open 15 second three point attempt? Is that the same guy who turned the ball over 3 times before the tipoff and, at last report, turned it over again just before boarding the plane?

Andy25
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
We played like shit the whole game. Fuck. It shouldn't of came down to the last shot anyways.

u4lakers14
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
IT WAS A FOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: oh you meant the actual play called,,,,,,,, nevermind

spurtech09
01-06-2011, 12:09 AM
should of had more 3pt shooters out there....like neal and hill

ElNono
01-06-2011, 12:12 AM
They've actually run that play before. Boston did a great job on it with the help defense.
The way that play is supposed to be, is Manu pretending to get the ball on the inbound side of the court, then running all the way around to the other side to take an open three, while his defender is picked by the big in the middle, in this case Dice. The problem was that the guy that was guarding Dice figured it out and started to help on Manu. When Tim couldn't inbound to the ball to Manu, the actual play broke off. We obviously didn't have any more timeouts then, so we had to improvise.

Props to the Celts. It looks like they scouted that pretty well.

Dex
01-06-2011, 12:13 AM
There was a perceived benefit. That's how the players work. They don't get the benefit of Captain Hindsight.

Fair enough. Easy to call that pass from the replay; much harder in action.

Still, Manu rushed that shot. As soon as he got doubled should have been a sign that someone had to be open, and the Spurs had a few ticks left to find a better look.

Either way, didn't happen. Sometimes you just gotta give the ball to the closer and go out guns blazing, for better or worse.

ElNono
01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
i think pop really wanted a 3, didn't want OT on a b2b.

That's a 3 point play, yes

Mugen
01-06-2011, 12:21 AM
They've actually run that play before. Boston did a great job on it with the help defense.
The way that play is supposed to be, is Manu pretending to get the ball on the inbound side of the court, then running all the way around to the other side to take an open three, while his defender is picked by the big in the middle, in this case Dice. The problem was that the guy that was guarding Dice figured it out and started to help on Manu. When Tim couldn't inbound to the ball to Manu, the actual play broke off. We obviously didn't have any more timeouts then, so we had to improvise.

Props to the Celts. It looks like they scouted that pretty well.

I thought there might have been too much time for a play designed for a catch and shoot.

With 8 sec. left, i don't see why Pop doesnt draw up an iso at the top of the key for Manu, a la Milwaukee game, and spread the floor with shooters.

didnt agree with the play call and i think Pop is the best at designing plays out of timeouts.

ElNono
01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I thought there might have been too much time for a play designed for a catch and shoot.

With 8 sec. left, i don't see why Pop doesnt draw up an iso at the top of the key for Manu, a la Milwaukee game, and spread the floor with shooters.

didnt agree with the play call and i think Pop is the best at designing plays out of timeouts.

Maybe they just thought Manu would draw a lot of people and then he could just pass inside for an easy two. I don't know. You can definitely see Duncan trying to make the pass to Manu then pulling back when he realizes he's covered. That's when he inbounds to Dice.

Yuixafun
01-06-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm just thinking there should have been a contingency plan, in the event Manu got double teamed in that scenario.

So when he did, he would know exactly where to go with the ball, like a hot read.

Which would have been dropping it off to Dice, since his man stepped up to double, everyone else was on the right side of the floor.

Granted so easy for us to know this now...

Silver lining is that we can come up with a counter for the future.

EricB
01-06-2011, 12:29 AM
The play in certain areas worked well.

Bonner set the back pick on Daniels and went to the inbounds side as a decoy.

The Celtics defended it well.

Props to them.

Hoops Czar
01-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Here's the logic:

4 rings

That's past logic.... Got anything else to contribute?

duncan228
01-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Buck Harvey: Even after the block, a Spurs edge remains (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/05/buck-harvey-even-after-the-block-a-spurs-edge-remains/)
Buck Harvey

Antonio McDyess said he was open. So open, he felt like waving.

“But I didn’t want everyone to see I was that open,” he said.

This often happens to the Spurs coming out of a timeout. Someone is open.

It didn’t matter this time. Manu Ginobili didn’t see McDyess, and that fit with Gregg Popovich’s night. He was fighting food poisoning, yet had to swallow defensive breakdowns, Ray Allen’s shooting stroke and the first losing streak of the season.

But if there is a reason the Spurs can believe things would be different next time, it’s because of what Popovich might draw up next time.

Next time, maybe the Spurs will need more. Kevin Garnett continued to be out of uniform because of an injury, yet the Celtics still displayed the balanced efficiency that has taken them to two of the last three Finals.

Only a breakdown by the Celtics at the end gave the Spurs an opening. Two Boston turnovers preceded Allen, who ended a night of uncommon shooting by even his standards with two free-throw clunks. This is what happens when you hang around Shaquille O’Neal too much.

Keep Reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/05/buck-harvey-even-after-the-block-a-spurs-edge-remains/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/05/buck-harvey-even-after-the-block-a-spurs-edge-remains/

sa_butta
01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Manu knows he messed up, Im sure he is still beating himself up for that...Luckily this is a REGULAR SEASON game and I think it is a lesson learned...I think Boston is a very good team with loads of talent and we played them very close the whole game...to me it says we can hang when the comp. gets tough...No need to hit the panic button just yet...

urunobili
01-06-2011, 08:07 AM
TD didn't pass the ball to Manu when he was wide open and could have created something else. instead, he went to Dice and then the play went to hell.

Bito Corleone
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think we actually saw the play that was called. i'm pretty sure that the inbounds pass wasn't supposed to go to McD, and that instead it should have gone to Manu, who would (should have anyway) gone to the basket trying for two or kicked it to Tony in the corner, who was wide open.

dbestpro
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Blew the play up to 400% and Manu did get fouled. No doubt about it. The reason that Manu could not pass to Dice when he rolled to the basket was that Duncan rolled to the basket at the same time and dragged his defender into the passing lane.

Take your pick the non-call or Timmy blowing up the pick and roll.