PDA

View Full Version : Pop Right Now

Dex
01-05-2011, 11:51 PM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/s-it-feels-good-man-dog-window-1273930839c.jpg

So now that we've officially initiated our first SpursTalk Meltdown of the season, let's put things back into perspective.

Spurs are still 29-6. They are still the best in their division, in their conference, and in the league. Meaning we, as fans, have had to deal with less frustrating nights than any other fans so far.

This Spurs team may still have a long ways to go, and it may or may not get there. But had we been asked in the offseason, any one of us would've taken this record at this point in time, even with a fresh two-game losing streak against one pretender and one contender.

Keep pounding the rock. Championships aren't won in January, and we all know the Spurs Play After March.

Pop...time to start working that magic.

Believe.

EricB
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Pop couldn't have asked for two better games to smash their heads with in film meetings.

DMC
01-05-2011, 11:55 PM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/s-it-feels-good-man-dog-window-1273930839c.jpg

So now that we've officially initiated our first SpursTalk Meltdown of the season, let's put things back into perspective.

Spurs are still 29-6. They are still the best in their division, in their conference, and in the league. Meaning we, as fans, have had to deal with less frustrating nights than any other fans so far.

This Spurs team may still have a long ways to go, and it may or may not get there. But had we been asked in the offseason, any one of us would've taken this record at this point in time, even with a fresh two-game losing streak against one pretender and one contender.

Keep pounding the rock. Championships aren't won in January, and we all know the Spurs Play After March.

Pop...time to start working that magic.

Believe.
Good logic except we aren't "still" 29-6. We just became that. After the next loss it could be still 29-7, then still 29-8.

You cannot simply ask fans to be happy about a loss. We aren't pounding a rock. We are pounding our puds.

Dex
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Good logic except we aren't "still" 29-6. We just became that. After the next loss it could be still 29-7, then still 29-8.

You cannot simply ask fans to be happy about a loss. We aren't pounding a rock. We are pounding our puds.

I don't mean to break the suspense, but the Spurs aren't going on a 57-game losing streak just because of this.

I suppose you wanted the team to go 82-0?

Step away from the ledge.

DMC
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I did want that, but it's a fallacy to say "still" as if we kept our ground. We didn't.

We have done well against struggling teams, but struggled against teams who are doing well.

You cannot simply throw aside the games against tougher opponents as a learning tool and consider the blowouts against the Wolves as the test results. That's what this forum seems to be all about though.

EricB
01-05-2011, 11:59 PM
He means still in the fact that, they've lost 6 games out of 35.

Perspective...

ElNono
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I said it after the Knicks game. This is a plot to avoid coaching the ASG... :lol

DMC
01-06-2011, 12:01 AM
He means still in the fact that, they've lost 6 games out of 35.

Perspective...
No shit.

You don't say "we are still" you say, "still, we are".

Otherwise I can say "I am still here" and imply I have been here a while, but in reality I mean "still, I am here" meaning, although I struggled to get here, here I am.

EricB
01-06-2011, 12:02 AM
No shit.

You don't say "we are still" you say, "still, we are".

Otherwise I can say "I am still here" and imply I have been here a while, but in reality I mean "still, I am here" meaning, although I struggled to get here, here I am.

So your acting like a jackass over semantics.

Congrats.

Dex
01-06-2011, 12:03 AM
I did want that, but it's a fallacy to say "still" as if we kept our ground. We didn't.

We have done well against struggling teams, but struggled against teams who are doing well.

You cannot simply throw aside the games against tougher opponents as a learning tool and consider the blowouts against the Wolves as the test results. That's what this forum seems to be all about though.

I really shouldn't have to do this, but...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Still

still 1 (stl)
adv.
1. Without movement; motionlessly: stand still.
2. At the present time; for the present: We are still waiting.

Context, context.

I mean regardless of the two losses, Spurs are still in good shape at this point in time. I was in no way inferring that two losses isn't negatively affecting the record or the team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-06-2011, 12:03 AM
another 2 close games they lost, either its pop or the guys...

EricB
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
another 2 close games they lost, either its pop or the guys...

Better get John Lucas back in here....

Yorae
01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
This is pop's way of killing the 70 wins talk and keep things in perspective and focus on the real and only goal...

crc21209
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Sometimes it's good to get your ass handed to you to remind you that you aren't "all that" and winning a title takes hard work...hopefully the guys regroup and improve on the D as the season goes on.

timaios
01-06-2011, 12:53 AM
This is pop's way of killing the 70 wins talk and keep things in perspective and focus on the real and only goal...

Spurs don't win the 5th ring without HCA.
The 1st goal is to finish at the 1st place of the regular season.

jjktkk
01-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Where is Tjastal, so he can shit all over Pop and Bonner?

4>0rings
01-06-2011, 01:01 AM
and focus on the real and only goal...
To lose games and putting the Spurs in danger to lose home court advantage and seeding in the playoffs? Fucking genius!

Hoops Czar
01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Sometimes it's good to get your ass handed to you to remind you that you aren't "all that" and winning a title takes hard work...hopefully the guys regroup and improve on the D as the season goes on.

Its funny how it take two losses to get some heads out of the sh!t bowl. What took you so long top come around? If you haven't learned anything from watching the first 35 games, you would know by now its 3-point makes or bust. Defense was never part of the equation. It takes a team effort to play good defense and half of them just don't care to try or are overwhelmed when they do try.

xmas1997
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
There is no CIA Pop scheme going on to get out of coaching the ASG, or Pop causing them to lose games on purpose to make a point about crappy defense!
No, if you have watched all the games so far, then you will have seen that they seem capable of occasional defensive greatness at times.
The problem I see is CONSISTENCY. Hopefully all that it takes is practice and the will to do it.
From reading reports from interviews with Pop, he is very very concerned.
He, and we, know that it will take a much better defense, on a consistent level, in order for this team to win a championship this year, regardless of Ws and Ls.
That is the reality of the matter!

wontstartdumbthreads
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
There is no CIA Pop scheme going on to get out of coaching the ASG, or Pop causing them to lose games on purpose to make a point about crappy defense!
No, if you have watched all the games so far, then you will have seen that they seem capable of occasional defensive greatness at times.
The problem I see is CONSISTENCY. Hopefully all that it takes is practice and the will to do it.
From reading reports from interviews with Pop, he is very very concerned.
He, and we, know that it will take a much better defense, on a consistent level, in order for this team to win a championship this year, regardless of Ws and Ls.
That is the reality of the matter!

It's been beaten to death but I blame a lot on Bonner's playing time. Whenever he's in the game, it's an open invitation for whoever he is "guarding" to start taking it to the hole. Inevitably, his cover will begin scoring, forcing other Spurs to have to sag to help out. Then it all falls to shit. It's impossible to maintain any good defensive consistency once he comes in. In the past, there's been a Mohammed or Rasho to at least alter a shot or two.

dbestpro
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I didn't see too much of a meltdown. Maybe a quarter of an inch shed from the mile high glacier.

DMC
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
So your acting like a jackass over semantics.

Congrats.
Semantics matter if you are making a statement to the forum. If they don't just keep writing in your fat crayons, ignore the drool.

DMC
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I really shouldn't have to do this, but...

Context, context.

I mean regardless of the two losses, Spurs are still in good shape at this point in time. I was in no way inferring that two losses isn't negatively affecting the record or the team.

Still does mean at the present time, with the caveat "as previously".

What if, after their previous win, the Clippers who only beat the Spurs ONCE in the last, oh... 18 games, stated "we are still beating the Spurs". Would you still homer that one to death like you did the other?

Just admit the shit was sloppy and move on.

Dex
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Still does mean at the present time, with the caveat "as previously".

What if, after their previous win, the Clippers who only beat the Spurs ONCE in the last, oh... 18 games, stated "we are still beating the Spurs". Would you still homer that one to death like you did the other?

:rolleyes If you still want to twist my words around and insist on being pedantic, then nobody said you have to agree with me.

I'm not gonna draw you a diagram. If you can't figure it out from the examples provided, then it's not my problem.

DMC
01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes If you still want to twist my words around and insist on being pedantic, then nobody said you have to agree with me.

I'm not gonna draw you a diagram. If you can't figure it out from the examples provided, then it's not my problem.

You made a post, a new thread actually, and I commented on it. If you don't want to be corrected, don't start new threads saying wrong things. Easy enough, right?

Dex
01-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Wrong how?

All you've done is argue over your incorrect interpretation of the word "still", and made yourself look like a jackass in the process.

That does nothing to derail the point of this thread, which is that the Spurs are 29-6 and that, regardless of two tough losses, now is not the time to panic.

But yes, thank you for enlightening me with your misguided grammatical opinions. Go ahead and post again so you can feel like you are getting the last word in if it helps you sleep better at night, boss.

I know it's gotta be awful rough these days, thinking about those poor 1st place Spurs and all...

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Have to agree with the OP the Spurs are fine for the time being.
This season seems like it's been going on alot longer than it really has for some odd reason. Anybody else feel this way?

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm not worried about these two games. Both games could've been won. We'll swipe back at Knicks and Celtics at home. As for now, it's time to kick some Pacer ass.

DMC
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Any team named after that piece of shit car needs to have their asses kicked.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1151/1/2875000081_medium.jpg

UnWantedTheory
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow, this thread took a turn toward bitter & childish with a quickness.

Dex
01-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow, this thread took a turn toward bitter & childish with a quickness.

http://derrilickt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/haters-gonna-hate-cat.jpg ?

Cessation
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think these two losses are a big deal, or that unexpected. East coast, knicks have a great offence, they've been hot last month, and just shot lights out at home. Celtics, are the best team in the east, at home and on a b2b, when spurs have shown again and again they are the weakest. Not to mention spurs made a game of it, and only lost by 2, with davis playing like an allstar to make up for kgs absence. I believe spurs can hold on to the one seed in the west, with butler out, and lakers playing bad.

DPG21920
01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I am not happy with how they are playing defensively. I am not happy with the energy (but I am used to that in the reg season from them).

Having said that, with all of their problems, they are still in almost every single game. So even with deplorable defense and play, they are having a chance to win. That is a good sign. If they just don't play terrible anomaly type defense, they win these games against really solid teams.

rmt
01-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Seeing the huuuuge difference in Hill's (and other role players' ?) home vs road stats, HCA is a necessity. Why play the big 3 so few minutes (TD - 32, Manu 34, TP 33) while Pierce plays 35, Allen 39, Rondo 44 with a game the next day? Now Boston is only 1 game behind the Spurs with the tiebreaker and playing in the easier East.

Pop played Bonner over 30 mins while Dice played less than half that. It's a big, important game. What's he saving Dice for? Dice had half the points as Bonner and wouldn't get abused so in the post. When Bonner is adjusted for in the second half, why not try Splitter? Even if he doesn't contribute offensively (same as Bonner when covered), Davis wouldn't be able to back him down.

All this talk about giving up 60 FG% and only losing by 2 is fool's gold. Celtics messed up royally at the end and were without KG and Perkins. When's Ray Allen - one of the purest shooter in NBA history ever going to miss 2 straight free throws?

Dr. Gonzo
01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
http://derrilickt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/haters-gonna-hate-cat.jpg ?

haha that cat is walking funny