PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain gets a PC facelift... or censorship?

ElNono
01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
It's an AP story, so I'll just provide the linkie.

New Edition Removes Mark Twain's 'Offensive' Words (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132663590)

ChumpDumper
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
The government didn't do it, so it's not censorship. It's more an overreaction to censorship.

ElNono
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
The government didn't do it, so it's not censorship. It's more an overreaction to censorship.

I don't think censorship is exclusive to the government though... doesn't private media has the ability to censor too?

elbamba
01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't think there is a need to remove it from the book. Its like they are trying to erase the fact that Twain wrote in a different era. The logic that people writing harsh letters do not use the word "######" does not mean that they are offended by reading it in a novel. Times have changed an people do not use it b/c of the offensive nature of the word. However, a book about where a slave in the south is a major character loses credibility if it leaves the word out. Its as if history never happened.

If they are offended by content, a rating system would help readers, or parents who might not want to allow their children to read classics.

ElNono
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't think there is a need to remove it from the book. Its like they are trying to erase the fact that Twain wrote in a different era. The logic that people writing harsh letters do not use the word "######" does not mean that they are offended by reading it in a novel. Times have changed an people do not use it b/c of the offensive nature of the word. However, a book about where a slave in the south is a major character loses credibility if it leaves the word out. Its as if history never happened.

If they are offended by content, a rating system would help readers, or parents who might not want to allow their children to read classics.

That's basically where I stand on this. I think the book reflects a specific timeline in history. Trying to 'update it' so it becomes more 'popular' in contemporary times I think takes away from the book.

Why not just write a similar novel that's PC in the way this author wants to present it?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't think censorship is exclusive to the government though... doesn't private media has the ability to censor too?Guess it depends on your definition, but there are still n-word versions widely available. I guess it'll be interesting to see how many of these editions make it into actual curricula -- it could spark discussion on why this is such a big deal in the first place.

ElNono
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Guess it depends on your definition, but there are still n-word versions widely available. I guess it'll be interesting to see how many of these editions make it into actual curricula -- it could spark discussion on why this is such a big deal in the first place.

Agreed. The article mentions this has been tried before and gained no traction.
From the commercial appeal side, I think we'll have to wait and see.

BlairForceDejuan
01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Censor books kids read in school that 85% couldn't care less about, and then go home and watch their favorite hilarious comedian drop the n-bomb 50 times in one hour. Makes sense.

The only people that are still using the n-bomb in a vicious manner are the bubbas who took on the habit from their pappy. Censoring Twain will not change this.

Spurminator
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't like it, but it's not like the real version is going away. This is just a new edition. It's like a rap CD at Walmart. If it gets people to read Huck Finn who wouldn't have read it before, I guess it's a net positive.

Still stupid though.

caribbean_spur
01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
This is as silly as talking about the word without saying the word. Removing a word deliberately chosen by the author is just plain wrong. There is a reason why this book was taught in school. It's because it was meant to teach something to the kids, the way it was written. I was talking about it with a friend and here is what she said that sums up what I think about the issue:

"Twain deliberately chose words that would make the reader uncomfortable. In fact, the more you get to know the characters, the more uncomfortable it should be. The word "######" dehumanizes people and Twain's characters are very human. Twain WANTS you to feel offended for Jim. Twain wants you to have the same revelation that Huck does during the book. All of this is taken away by "sanitizing." Huck Finn would just be another coming of age story. There are millions of them. "

caribbean_spur
01-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't like it, but it's not like the real version is going away. This is just a new edition. It's like a rap CD at Walmart. If it gets people to read Huck Finn who wouldn't have read it before, I guess it's a net positive.

Still stupid though.

Then they need to make sure we know it is not the original version when we go in a bookstore.

In any case, just the idea of doing that regardless of the fact that the original version is still out there is just wrong imho.

Sisk
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I say you're all just too god damn sensitive
it's censorship and it's downright blasphemous
let's end this shit now cause I won't stand for this
and Christopher Reeves won't sit for this neither

Creepn
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Just a clash of generations is all it is. First of all, it's just a new addition. The old one is still there. Being one of the two black kids in the classroom, I remember having to read this in class and when ever the N-word came up, it was so fucking uncomfortable to say it and to hear it. It was so embarrassing, and the looks I got from the other kids that had to say it....as if they pity me or something...

On the second hand, I can understand that actions like this doesn't help because it only makes the word stronger. That's all I have to say about that.

LnGrrrR
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
So that's what Glenn Beck was ranting about today...

Wild Cobra
01-07-2011, 01:24 AM
So that's what Glenn Beck was ranting about today...
I have a very hard time listening to his rants, but when I do, he does make sense...

LnGrrrR
01-07-2011, 04:37 AM
I have a very hard time listening to his rants, but when I do, he does make sense...

It was on in the chow hall today. The guy derails his own trail of thought constantly. Its hard to follow.

DarrinS
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
And it happened in the same year that F-You was nominated as song of the year.

Interesting.

MannyIsGod
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
You think fuck you and ###### are comparable?

I would rather not have his work messed with at all, but comparing the phrase fuck you to the word ###### is stupid as hell.

DarrinS
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
You think fuck you and ###### are comparable?

I would rather not have his work messed with at all, but comparing the phrase fuck you to the word ###### is stupid as hell.

F-you song has the N-word in it (albeit misspelled).

ChumpDumper
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Darrin wants to be able to use the N-word at work.

DarrinS
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Darrin wants to be able to use the N-word at work.

N-word please.

Spurminator
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/3949785/aint-that-some-shit.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Cee-Lo-Green

MannyIsGod
01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
F-you song has the N-word in it (albeit misspelled).

It actually has nigga. Its not the same word as ######. Its not misspelled.

MannyIsGod
01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
And why the hell do you type out N-word instead of ######? You're saying the exact same thing.

ChumpDumper
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
And why the hell do you type out N-word instead of ######? You're saying the exact same thing.I prefer not to type it or say it. Just don't. Were I writing the great American novel, perhaps I wouldn't feel the need to self-edit.

Winehole23
01-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Were I writing the great American novel, perhaps I wouldn't feel the need to self-edit. But you're not, so you do.

(I'd have thought it would run in the other direction, but I guess that only shows how much I know.)

Creepn
01-08-2011, 06:45 AM
And why the hell do you type out N-word instead of ######? You're saying the exact same thing.

It's more respectful imho. You know the word "######" still offends people whether they to try hide it or not so why say it if saying "N-word" translate to the same thing?

Wild Cobra
01-08-2011, 11:21 AM
It was on in the chow hall today. The guy derails his own trail of thought constantly. Its hard to follow.
Maybe that's why I understand him. I do the same thing.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2011, 12:27 PM
It's more respectful imho. You know the word "######" still offends people whether they to try hide it or not so why say it if saying "N-word" translate to the same thing?

Because I expect people to be more adult than that. I'm not a fan of censoring myself to begin with, but I'm certainly not of fan faux censorship where you commit a few letters and the word somehow becomes more tactful. It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Nword is ######.
F*ck is fuck.

It just doesn't make any sense why one is better or more respectful than the other and I personally find it insulting to be told that I can't tell the context of when its used in an insulting manner.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Because I expect people to be more adult than that. I'm not a fan of censoring myself to begin with, but I'm certainly not of fan faux censorship where you commit a few letters and the word somehow becomes more tactful. It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Nword is ######.
F*ck is fuck.

It just doesn't make any sense why one is better or more respectful than the other and I personally find it insulting to be told that I can't tell the context of when its used in an insulting manner.If I said "that word" in this thread, you would think the same thing? I don't really care if you're insulted Manny; I don't like using that word (see?) in speech or text at all.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Fair enough.

Creepn
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Nword is ######.
F*ck is fuck.

It just doesn't make any sense why one is better or more respectful than the other and I personally find it insulting to be told that I can't tell the context of when its used in an insulting manner.

There's a fine line between claiming something is faux censorship or wanting to be a rebel by not following some mainstream political correctness. But I'll take your word for it.

But I tell you one thing, "######" should be and is a special case. Changing those letters around definitely makes the word more tactful. Most definitely. I could read through a sentence that says "n-word" much much more easier than that other word. The context of which the word was used in could be agreeable but still, seeing that word just conjures up shit that makes me feel dirty. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder but I do appreciate people who types out "N-word". :tu

MannyIsGod
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, well upon further thought it would be hypocritical of me to understand why nigga is a different word but not recognize that the same element that leads people to say "nword".