PDA

View Full Version : STAT help

Creation88
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
compiled all the stats for the Spurs oppt FG% in the 1st qtr. here's what i found:

overall oppts are shooting 48% [344/717] in the 1st quarter (Spurs avg 46% overall)
26 of 35 oppts have shot over 40% in the 1st quarter [18 of those 26 shot over 50%]
in the Spurs 5 losses the oppts have shot a whopping 55.9% [66/118] in the 1st quarter :wow
The Knicks and Celtics shot a combined 63.4% in the 1st quarter

overall the FG% is high and oppts are getting off to a hot start against us, however the % is actually not as high as i thought it would be. my prediction was over 50% allowed in the 1st.

Creation88
01-06-2011, 11:58 PM
edit

Dex
01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice stat work. IMO this is one of the biggest reasons Spurs miss Bruce. He played the role of fire extinguisher right from the start, and as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

When opponents used to come to play San Antonio, their leading perimeter scorer was immediately handcuffed by Bowen, while Tim could typically negate any post threat. That would generally take teams out of their basic game plan, and the rest of the Spurs was able to clamp down on the role players.

Opponents used to fear San Antonio defense. It would be in the back of their head before the ball was even tipped. That affects shooters and scorers when they are constantly watching over their shoulder.

Now, some teams just seem to be brimming with confidence like they solved the puzzle or something. All of these "great shooting nights" cannot just be an anomaly. Teams didn't just learn how to shoot in the last five years.

Hoops Czar
01-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Where is 2-4 quarter analysis? Basketball is a 48 minute game.