Now that's old school!

I miss it..:(

Old School 44
01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Yep...lots of memories in that place.
BTW...it's Hemisfair Arena.

TwAnKiEs
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
My first Spurs game! It was against the rockets, double OT. we lost but it was a damn good game :king

sa_butta
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Checking in...loudest arena in SA.

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Checking in...loudest arena in SA.

Loudest in either League!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even before they raised the roof!

Taco
I used to have Spurs season ticket there !

NRHector
those were the good ol' days :toast

SenorSpur
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I cut my "Spurs fan teeth" in that building during my innocent youth days. Lots of memories in that old hallowed building. From sneaking in the doors past the elderly ushers to scalping tickets for pocket change along the outside periphery of the facility, to watching the bums sprinkle guacamole on the noggin of former Nuggets coach Larry Brown. Ah yes, the memories of the Hemisphere Arena are endless.

DMC
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Back when it was still fun to shoot the big indian with a bow.

Soul_Patch
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Did tickets eve matter in that place? I remember as a kid going to games there and always getting the cheap seats, because once the game started, we just moved down to court side.

George Gervin's Afro
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yep...lots of memories in that place.
BTW...it's Hemisfair Arena.

You're right.. Hemisfair Arena..

DMC
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Obstructed view.

fyatuk
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
My first Spurs game! It was against the rockets, double OT. we lost but it was a damn good game :king

Same here!

Actually, that was the only game I got to go to at Hemisfair...

George Gervin's Afro
http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/SanAntonioSpurs/oldaerial.jpg

xmas1997
I remember them raising the roof. That was a trip!

ohmwrecker
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
My dad took me to a Spurs game that I don't remember well since I was very young. I do remember the atmosphere was insane and the noise was overwhelming. I saw Neil Young/Sonic Youth/Social Distortion there in '91, I think. That is still the loudest show I've ever seen.

greyforest
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
back when arenas weren't named after a corporation

George Gervin's Afro
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Who remembers when they played the "Cotton Eye Joe" at the arena?

George Gervin's Afro
01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Who went to a playoff game at the Hemisfair and then headed downtown during Fiesta week?

LongtimeSpursFan
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Besting Sixers 4-3 in '79. Absolutely amazing.

JsnSA
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
As a kid I think I spent as much time running around the ramps in that building with my friends than I did watching the actual games.

mexicanjunior
01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Who remembers when they played the "Cotton Eye Joe" at the arena?

That would get the crowd up and moving more than any of the rap stuff they play now...they definitely need to bring that back...

My first Hemisfair game was pre-Robinson, Elliott and Terry Cummings era and a close game against the Lakers. The thing that sticks out most in my head was the kid behind me yelling "STEAL THE BALL ALVIN" every time we were on defense.

I think this might have been the game, I think it was a close loss...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198802120SAS.html

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
It was a great, great place to watch a game (if you could avoid sitting behind a pole!). For those who never got to experience that, I don't know that trying to tell the story will ever do the actual experience justice.

mark of a champion
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Didnt matter where you sat. That place was always electric. We had the Spurs and they were all we had. So many good memories watching Artis and Johnny Moore and Iceman.

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Can't find any photos of the summer of 1977 roof raising of the Hemisfair Arena, but they showed every stage of it going up.

George Gervin's Afro
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
It was in the Hemisfair Arena that the Baseline Bums were truly drunken and disorderly..! They were located right over the visitor entrance/exit onto the floor.

(no offense to present day Baseline Bums)

jb4g
01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Moved to San Antonio just a few weeks before Hemisfair was demolished, never got to set foot inside. Any time I would see a game on tv I remember thinking what an odd arena it was with all the stairs/ramps in the upper level, shame I never got to see it firsthand.

GrandeDavid
01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Fun times at Hemisfair! Saw my first Spurs game ever there during Robinson's rookie season.

SpursWoman
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
In the 86/87 season our high school band played played the National Anthem for a game. The seats they gave us were the worst, and the rest of the Arena was a ghost town. Don't remember who they played, but the Spurs got annihilated. :fro

Very fun, though.

silverblk mystix
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
checkin in...

+1 on sneakin' in past the ushers...

Gervin was unstoppable when he was on...

george karl #22 with the long hair

red white & blue ball

good times

redskinfan
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I wonder who were the architects that planned the roof raising! Bad job so many obstructed view seats and just looked bad, that being said the electricity was magical at spurs games and rock concerts, wish there would be a way to create another 10,000 seat or so arena for concerts and maybe UTSA basketball when and if they ever can become a mid major type school.

JWest596
01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
You're right.. Hemisfair Arena..

Not to be nit-picky but it was properly titled 'HemisFair Arena' for the world's fair.

The Great Fantastic
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I was young but I have a few memories of HemisFair. My most vivid memory is of, what felt like, the entire stadium doing the wave. The seats were the type that would fold back up when someone was not sitting in them. I must've fell on my ass about 3 times when trying to sit back down.

Also, I think every game I went to see at HemisFair was against the Jazz. I think we lost every one of them. I hated the Jazz for that reason.

redskinfan
01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Not to be nit-picky but it was properly titled 'HemisFair Arena' for the world's fair.

Why do I remember Convention Center Arena as well?

suitedkings
01-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Checking in.

My dad took me to the Spurs Lakers game when the Spurs won a protest and had to replay the ending of their previous meeting.

THis is the same day the Coyote debuted.

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I wonder who were the architects that planned the roof raising! Bad job so many obstructed view seats and just looked bad, that being said the electricity was magical at spurs games and rock concerts, wish there would be a way to create another 10,000 seat or so arena for concerts and maybe UTSA basketball when and if they ever can become a mid major type school.

UTSA is in the process of drawing up plans for one as well as other projects because they are expanding like crazy.

baseline bum
01-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Great place to watch a game. It never felt the same once they went to the cavernous Alamodome. Regular season games in Hemisfair were louder than Finals games at the Dome or AT&T.

Solid D
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Yep. Pre- and Post- raising the lid on it.

JudynTX
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Present :D

I remember the loudness of what used to be the Baseline Bums. I remember when you could smoke in the arena, sometimes the smoke was so thick you couldn't see the players. :lol You can't forget the $2.00 beer.

G-Nob
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Can't find any photos of the summer of 1977 roof raising of the Hemisfair Arena, but they showed every stage of it going up.

I've got one. I will try to scan it in and post it.

G-Nob
01-07-2011, 02:39 PM

They were more concerned with getting the arena NBA-ready. The obstructions added to the uniqueness.

TXstbobcat
01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I still remember my first spurs game against the Bucks in Hemisphere Arena and I also remember going to the last two games played there against the Suns in the playoffs.

Rebounds
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
My sweetest memory of HemisFair Arena is the first and only time I got my dad and 2 of his surviving brothers of 7 to join up for game night there, must have been around '87. That was their first NBA experience.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Used to sit in the cheap seats with my dad and brother. Moved to SA right when the lid was being raised. Lots of memories. :tu

SenorSpur
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
As a kid I think I spent as much time running around the ramps in that building with my friends than I did watching the actual games.

:lol

So did I. Too funny. Those ramps were really cool. They were like large walking highways. Had we done some of the outlandish things now that we did back then, we would've been permanently banned from the facility.

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I've got one. I will try to scan it in and post it.

WOW! No shit?
Please do. I think everyone would like to see that again or for the first time.

SenorSpur
01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I remember once purchasing a cheap obstructive view aisle seat. However, the view was so bad that I just gave up sat in the aisle. :lol

slayermin
01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I saw Metallica there.

And yes, it got loud in that place.

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Unlike the Alamodome, the Arena was a great place to go to a concert. The acoustics were much better than the Alamodome will ever be.
I was once told that they screwed up when they were installing the acoustic tiles in the Alamodome and installed them wrong side out.

spurs10
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
My dad took me to a Spurs game that I don't remember well since I was very young. I do remember the atmosphere was insane and the noise was overwhelming. I saw Neil Young/Sonic Youth/Social Distortion there in '91, I think. That is still the loudest show I've ever seen.
Neil was quoted saying that was his intention, to be "the loudest band you've ever heard!" He succeeded!

Blake
01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
yup, did the obstructed view seats.........sometimes obstructed by the overhang (or was that alamodome) mostly obstructed by the giant pillars.

yup, remember the thick smoke at some games.

yup, remember the ceiling being filled with more bats flying around than Manu would be able to swat.

greatest day for me was having our middle school team play there before a game. At age 13, compared to our school gym, I recall thinking that it took forever to run from one end of the NBA court to the other.

I recall trying an NBA 3 pointer for the hell of it and having it airball in the middle of the lane.

I recall us getting autographs from the Spurs before shoot-around.

I recall getting George Gervin's autograph.

I recall him signing it "Ice #44".

I recall being pissed.

Good times.

Lizard
01-07-2011, 05:07 PM
It was cool, buying $2 (with a $1 coupon)seats to see the Memphis Tams or Kentucky Colonels. I hated Louie Dampier - until he ws a Spur.

Ya Vez
01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I remember the live band there, the place had it's own unique feel...

Ya Vez
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
The ABA Site some cool stuff in there about the Spurs I liked the Spurs gray home jersey with the small number in front..

http://www.remembertheaba.com/San-Antonio-Spurs.html

romsho
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
I remember the live band there, the place had it's own unique feel...

Al Sturchio and The Sound of the Spurs. The Blues Brothers music with "Spurs just can't lose now" lyrics..the huge Baseline Bum who gets the spotlight on him and serenaded, beer in hand...good times.

awktalk
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Alamodome FTW!

MannyIsGod
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
:lmao

This thread should basically be the 30 and older roll call.

I saw my first Spurs game there along with a lot of other sporting events.

Good times.

MannyIsGod
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM

:lmao !!!!

My cousins and I spent one night there during a golden gloves event running and sliding down those things till an usher threatened to throw us out. Shit was fun.

SenorSpur
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Anybody remember the hallowed "Spurs Corral"? I was too young to go in there back then, but always wanted to.

Big P
01-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Good times!

Capt Bringdown
01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Remember when many/most NBA arenas featured live bands? Al Sturgio and The Sound of the Spurs.

ChuckD
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
My sister and bro in law used take me to the home game in December closest to my birthday. I remember a game against Utah where the fountain outside froze solid. They moved away in 93, but are still huge Spurs fans, and they always want Spurs gear when we have a River Parade. I usually drop several hundred dollars on them and their two daughters when the Spurs hoist the trophy.

scottspurs
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I saw my first ever Spurs game there. Spurs vs Bulls. Jordan vs Robinson. Spurs won and I've been a fan ever since.

Avitus1
01-08-2011, 12:05 AM
My first Spurs Game against the Knicks we lost... but I won those tickets at school so that was cool.

ShoogarBear
01-08-2011, 01:08 AM
SRO seats, bidchess.

I was at their first NBA playoff game against the Celtics. The Spurs got a two-minute standing O from the arena at the introductions (no video prompting necessary).

Old School 44
01-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Occassionally, my dad would get "box seats" from his boss.
They were mid court about 10-15 rows up. Red McCombs sat behind us when he was a mere millionaire. :lol

spurs10
01-08-2011, 03:05 AM
SRO seats, bidchess.

I was at their first NBA playoff game against the Celtics. The Spurs got a two-minute standing O from the arena at the introductions (no video prompting necessary).
That is awesome.

Dutch13
01-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Opposing teams were quoted as saying it was the loudest & rowdiest arena..

Great place, except if you had seats behind the pillars..lol

bighappy
01-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Damn, i miss that place it was the shit

Harry Callahan
01-08-2011, 07:36 AM
My first game there was in the spring of 1979 (78-79 season) when SA played the Kansas City Kings. Phil Ford was a rookie for KCK that year - ROTY as well. I think out of all the games I have seen in person in San Antonio through the years (probably 25 or 30 games), I think they've lost only 4 or 5 at the most.

If memory serves me, as my dad and I were walking to the arena through the parking lot that day in '79, we saw a very tall and skinny guy get out of his car as he was going into the arena to change into his uniform. Mr. George "Iceman" Gervin running late (not an uncommon occurance, from what I understand).

I'm pretty sure the Spurs won a very competative game that day. I've been a fan ever since, through the mostly good times as well as the occasional bad times.

Hemisphere Arena did have a unique atmosphere in those days. It was loud, the beer flowed like water, the "Sounds of the Spurs" provided live music (not the canned crap you hear now). The Baseline Bums were featured at the end of the 3rd? quarter and the "Cotton Eyed Joe" was played every game.

buttsR4rebounding
01-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I turned 16 in 1975. My dad had taken us to games for a couple of years, but me and my brother went to a couple of games a month. Tickets in the upper level at the time were $2 each behind the backboards. That's when the Baseline Bums were in their prime. Who can forget: "Rah, rah, rah, zoot, zoot, zoot! Who's that ass in the referee suit?!" When the DRob era started I split season tickets with a friend of mine. We were in section 312 (in the new upper deck). It was so loud the whole game you had to yell to talk to the person next to you. You were worn out at the end of the game. When I transferred my season tickets to the Alamodome I got lower level, but it wasn't the same. I cancelled my season tickets after 2 years in the Alamodome.:lobt2:

FromWayDowntown
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii170/lexmoose51/?action=edit&current=HemisFairoriginal.jpg

Budkin
01-08-2011, 12:49 PM
My first game was in 1993 against the lowly Sacramento Kings in their baby blue uniforms. Obviously we lost. It was a bummer but I was just thrilled just to be at the game seeing David Robinson with my own eyes. I actually took a little video at the game and almost got my tape taken away by an usher. Nowadays with cell phone cams and such they wouldn't blink an eye at that. I need to find some of that footage and post some clips.

baseline bum
01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
:lmao !!!!

My cousins and I spent one night there during a golden gloves event running and sliding down those things till an usher threatened to throw us out. Shit was fun.

Are you talking about after they put that red rubber top on the ramps there? Man, that was great sliding down that slick motherfucker. If you spilled a drink and then stepped on it on the way down you were screwed. :lol

FromWayDowntown
01-08-2011, 02:33 PM
The old place before the 1973-74 season -- before they raised the roof:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii170/lexmoose51/HemisFairoriginal.jpg

JWest596
01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I first went to the Arena for the "Chep Beer Nights" to see the Spurs in the ABA. Didn't care at first who or what they were as the liquid refresments wer the primary concern. and remembering passing Bongo Joe playing all the time to get there.

The arena was the venue for most concerts though the Municipal Auditorium was sometimes used as well. Saw 'Chicago Transit Authority' in 1969 at the MA. My mom worked for the SA Light advertising dept and Joe Mueller (JAM Productions) would come in to place ads in the paper and would sell to Mom tickets for concerts at the arena he had in his front shirt pocket. Went to many concerts and never sat further back than the 15the row except when the Doobie Brothers came and they gave seats to the people of China Grove when the song hit the charts. Saw many times bands like Chicago, Doobie Brothers, even the Carpenters, Three Dog Night, the Stones in '75, (no one believed me in school when I said they were coming), Frampton, etc. it was a special place with a lot of great memories in my youth.

BTW that's a great picture

xmas1997
01-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I remember seeing Steppenwolf there and Jethro Tull there.

JWest596
01-08-2011, 02:48 PM
TULL!!!

yes! How could I forget...getting old. Never saw Steppenwolf though.

Capt Bringdown
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
The old place before the 1973-74 season -- before they raised the roof:

Great picture - looks pretty intimate, doesn't it? Sigh...

ShoogarBear
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
:lol before they raised the roof it was a glorified high school gym. I had forgotten what that looked like.

FromWayDowntown
01-08-2011, 08:34 PM
That picture is actually the inside cover of the Spurs' 1973-74 media guide. I thought maybe another of the guides from the mid-to-late 70's would have a picture of the roof raising, but none seem to. It's odd that such a curious event wouldn't have at least one picture on the internets.

It's pretty easy to see, from that picture, why the Arena ended up with those quaint obstructed view seats.

my2sons
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Loved the arena, right across from, wait for it: LA VILLA FONTANA:]

spurs10
01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Seeing that picture really brought back some memories. Saw Hendrix there...

Blackjack
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Last two memories of that place, in no particular order:

Rodman getting a last-second tip-in to secure a win over the Magic, IIRC;

and hockin' a gnarly loogie off the parking garage on to JR Reid's black Porsche -- I was young, dumb ... and completely justified. :hat

bigfan
01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
One time I hung a sign that said "Lakers welcome to your Chamber of Horrors" that was 5 feet tall and as long as the basketball court off the railings of the upper deck. It got mentioned in the paper even. I used to love that mariachi band that played at the end of the 3rd quarter "Volver" (maybe they still do that, I live in Dallas). Best of all, after the first quarter you could move down to the good seats. Oh yeah, I was there the night they beat the Lakers twice in one night.

Jose Ole
01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Growing up as a kid in the 80s and going to games at Hemisfair Arena was the best way to become a Spurs fan. I mentioned this in another thread about Hemisphere Arena last year but I took my first steps there and then proceeded to eat shit and roll down the orange studded ramps inside! Greatest Baby's-Day-Out ever thanks to dad, but mom was a little bummed she missed seeing me walk for the first time... I've been a Spurs fan ever since :toast

Russ
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
The best thing about that arena was the mind-numbing noise.

I remember watching the opposing team become so flustered by the sheer volume that they would call time out, hoping the crowd would somehow forget how loud they had just been.

The arena would go almost dead during the TO.

Then the ref would hand the ball to the opposing player for the inbound.

As if on cue the crowd would immediately become even louder than when the TO was called and you could just see the other team wither as if to say, what more can we do?

If ever a crowd roar had a collective smile on its face, it was then. :)

Das Texan
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
First game there was against the TPuppies, in their first or second year in the league.

Got them for Christmas.

Sat behind a pole. Thought that was standard operating procedure at the time.

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Last two memories of that place, in no particular order:

Rodman getting a last-second tip-in to secure a win over the Magic, IIRC;

Not trying to be an ass, but that happened at the Alamodome, not the HemisFair. Rodman came to SA for the 1993-94 season, which was the first season in the Dome and left after the 1994-95 season.

He played at HemisFair, but only as a Piston.

Blackjack
01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Not trying to be an ass, but that happened at the Alamodome, not the HemisFair. Rodman came to SA for the 1993-94 season, which was the first season in the Dome and left after the 1994-95 season.

He played at HemisFair, but only as a Piston.

You're right. I used to go to the games with a coach of mine and his son -- used to hook us up with all sorts of autographed paraphernalia, cards and whatnot -- the majority of which happened to be at the HemisFair. That just happened to be the last memory that came to mind when thinking about going with them.

But that loogie definitely happened at the HemisFair. :hat

baseline bum
01-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I gotta admit I don't miss the Hemisfair bathrooms. The line was always at least 15-20 people long.

tlongII
01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I saw the Blazers play the Spurs there. The place was a dump.

dbestpro
01-09-2011, 06:40 PM

My first game was a playoff game (we lost) against the Bullets.