PDA

View Full Version : The Game/The Team/The Player

DMC
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
We are all fans of one of these three, some of us are fans of all of them.

It's often not difficult to tell whether you are talking to a game fan, a team fan or a player fan. With Spurs fans, I have noticed the majority are game fans; they just love basketball. With some other teams, especially teams like the Lakers, there are plenty of team fans. They like their team, and don't follow the game otherwise. When their team is out of the playoffs, they stop watching.

Then there are the player fans. These are the people who were Cavs fans but became Heat fans when Lebron moved to Miami. These are those posters who adopt the Kobe name or number somewhere in their user name, or they only watch their favorite player. They started watching the game because of this person, and they will probably stop watching the game when this person retires, or they will find another superstar to watch, regardless of team.

Which are you?

Mugen
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
i'm a Game fan but i thought LAX was a pretty disappointing album.

DMC
01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Big ups to you for representin' da West Coast... yo

Mrlunt925
01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
For me, I'm more of a fan of the Game. Followed basketball since I was real young and learned about it more as I grew up.

It's funny though, bringing up those 3 different areas, when I was really little it was all about Michael Jordan. Then I actually learned about basketball and started playing it and watched it more. Then came the Spurs. So I guess I've experience them all.

DMC
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
LOL Caude or Claude... Henry.... Smoot... HEAL!

WeNeedLength
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
For me, I'm more of a fan of the Game. Followed basketball since I was real young and learned about it more as I grew up.

It's funny though, bringing up those 3 different areas, when I was really little it was all about Michael Jordan. Then I actually learned about basketball and started playing it and watched it more. Then came the Spurs. So I guess I've experience them all.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/mastacasta1/blog2/deep_thoughts_by_jack_handey.gif

But really, it's all about dem Spurs!! :flag:

xmas1997
01-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm a team fan, specifically the Spurs, always have been since they moved here.
And when they are knocked out of the playoffs, I quit watching.
But I supported them through the ups and downs, never a bandwagon fan.
Because of that, I am insulted when accused of being a bandwagon fan, but don't mind being called a homer because I am. :flag:
I could care less about the rest of the teams in the NBA, and actually find them quite boring. :flag:

DMC
01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I intentionally did not list anyone as a bandwagon fan. Those are .... obvious.

Mrlunt925
01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
LOL Caude or Claude... Henry.... Smoot... HEAL!

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Team fan

tp2021
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
The game is what I love, the team is what I'm passionate about.

Cane
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Most will probably be all three, for me the ranking goes: Team, Player, then Game. Since they're all intertwined it can be hard to completely exclude any of those three but I am not much of a fan of watching non-NBA basketball.

Imo basketball and sports in general becomes just a much more exciting and entertaining experience when the team and players you like are competing.

And as team-oriented as basketball is its also where individual players can shine the most out of nearly any other major team sport; players are huge for this game and I've got no beef with watching some of the GOATs play like MJ in the past or up-and-coming superstars like Durant.

As for the game itself...I like the NBA game and I like playing basketball but I don't like watching lower level league play. Basketball at lower levels, including the professional leagues overseas, can be incredibly painful to watch because of the quality of the players and rules.

Dex
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Growing up in San Antonio, I was probably a team fan first. I've never known anything other than the San Antonio Spurs, and I feel lucky to have gotten to witness the Tim Duncan era firsthand.

The more I watched the Spurs, though, the more I became just a fan of the game. Especially with their fundamental brand of basketball. I knew it had gone over the edge when I'd find myself watching random teams play, and then college and D-League games just to have basketball on the screen.

8FOR!3
01-07-2011, 02:14 PM

:lol LAX was pretty bad.

I'm basically a team fan. Granted, there's certain players that I like on other teams and there's certain teams I don't dislike, the only team I'm going to really sit down and watch on a consistent basis are the Spurs.

jjktkk
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Team, game, and player.

Dice
01-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I am a player fan. I started playing basketball right after I got out of high school. Wasn’t any good and couldn’t do much of anything correctly but fell in love with the game. This was all around 94 and I was watching the Bulls a lot because WGN was one of our cable stations. They showed a lot of games so I tried to watch and learn. Around the same time a young Antonio McDyess was playing college ball for Alabama. I watched him play in every televised game and have followed him and his career from that moment on. I’ve watched other guys careers but he’s always been my favorite. I followed him from team to team (was really disappointed he left the Suns that first time) and literally wouldn’t watch the NBA the seasons he was out. I’ve gotten the league pass every season since he signed with Detroit and watch every game unless he wasn’t playing.

Got to say I was very pleased that he signed with the Spurs last season. He didn’t play as well as I’d expected but is doing much better this year. When he retires, I’ll be nothing more than a casual NBA fan at best.

Brazil
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm a game fan but always rooting for something mainly spurs to win and lakers to loose. After a Spurs exit on the POs I always choose a side of a confrontation, weird thing is that sometimes I didn't even know what are my motivation.

Let's imagine a knicks atlanta serie, I will certainly root for atlanta but I'm not sure to have a clear reason why.

portnoy1
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm a Game Fan 1 - Spurs 2 - Celtics 3- Raptors and then if all of them get knocked out of the playoffs or dont make it, I just enjoy analyzing the teams that are left and what makes them successful.

DMC
01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I am not as enthusiastic about watching other remaining teams, but I still watch them. I have a hard time picking a team, but usually I root for the underdog. I've never been a franchise fan. The Spurs became that dynasty while I've been a fan. Some people just like good teams because they are good. Hell, a lot of NBA players started playing ball because they watched Jordan every game. TP said he used to get up at 3am to watch MJ, and I am sure TP thought he was a Bulls fan but when MJ retired, Parker probably stopped watching the Bulls.

Another sport example: TDF. I started watching because of Lance, but I still watch and he's not even in it anymore. I just like the race, and there's a lot more to it than it seems to the casual person channel surfing.

DMC
05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
OKC all the way. If not, then any team out of the West before the East, but Miami is a beast.

stnick2261
05-14-2011, 09:58 PM
team fan all of the way.... I don't care about the sport in general, but I love following the team and the players and knowing everything about them (in a non-stalkerish way).... one team (Spurs) already takes up all of my time and I can't imagine putting so much time into following more than one team

20beastie45
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
1) Game
2) Team
3) Player(s)

gospursgojas
05-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Red Rocket fan

Caeman
05-14-2011, 10:35 PM
We are all fans of one of these three, some of us are fans of all of them.

It's often not difficult to tell whether you are talking to a game fan, a team fan or a player fan. With Spurs fans, I have noticed the majority are game fans; they just love basketball. With some other teams, especially teams like the Lakers, there are plenty of team fans. They like their team, and don't follow the game otherwise. When their team is out of the playoffs, they stop watching.

Then there are the player fans. These are the people who were Cavs fans but became Heat fans when Lebron moved to Miami. These are those posters who adopt the Kobe name or number somewhere in their user name, or they only watch their favorite player. They started watching the game because of this person, and they will probably stop watching the game when this person retires, or they will find another superstar to watch, regardless of team.

Which are you?

I agree with how you set up this question. Although, I think you left something out.

There are also League fans. For example, some prefer NCAA to NBA or different international leagues.

With that said, I'm a team fan first, basketball fan second, player fan third, and league fan last (if I even consider myself that). I think it's a shame that amazing players play in some shitty leagues. I hate the NBA; Stern caters too much to the casual fan and has implemented (and expanded on) some crazy shit. Stuff like home cooking, superstar calls, and phantom calls should not exist; especially in the NBA.

xellos88330
05-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Well said.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Team
Game
Player

ohmwrecker
05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
^ Pavement :tu

DrSteffo
05-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes team, game, player but all three really. And game does not only include the nba.

pjjrfan
05-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I started off as a player fan, with Wilt Chamberlain, then I went to Havlicek, but by now I was a bigger fan of the game and when the Spurs got to SA I became a team fan. Since 79, I have been a true lover of the game, and also the Spurs.

joshdaboss
05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Players. It's a player's league. </JVG>

Kori Ellis
05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Game/Player (Duncan)/Team

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-16-2011, 06:13 AM
well i dont bother myself with worrying about whos a real spurs fan, im just glad to welcome any type of person cheering for the spurs. i almost feel like being a spur fan is not even an option.

i cant think of basketball period without thinking of the spurs involvement in my community . i am only old enough to remember david robinson in his youth.. barely as a child (his cards mainly) and his prime vividly my mom made us go and watch games when jordan came into town.

she knew (which is awesome) cause to this day i reember seeing jordan so pissed off when we snapped his win streak that year. lol i mean he was furious! ( i used to tell my mom if only we could get a pass to play jordan in the finals we would win haha i guess ive always been a homer) and thats why i don't even discuss kobe period. theres no comparison if you remember those jordan games the guy pulled shit out of his ass 20 x in a row /per quarter if he really had to....just to try and get the W...during the regular season... it was really amazing.

watching all the stories on your basketball cards, and a true hero DAVID ROBINSON. is what makes me say " i love s.a ball" damn you pop haha

Spursnlego
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Well played. :tu