PDA

View Full Version : Post-game comments

GSH
05-29-2005, 12:17 AM
In the post-game interview, Mike D'Antoni siad that the Spurs "are playing as hard as I've ever seen anybody play... and they're good." I haven't heard anyone on the Suns' team whining - not about the refs, not about Bruce or Manu, and not even about Joe Johnson being out for the first two games. I've heard some of them say that they (the Suns) haven't played as well as they should, but they have also given credit to the Spurs for playing good ball. It's possible that one of the players may have made some excuse, but I certainly haven't heard it. The Suns definitely haven't been the kind of weasels that Denver and Seattle were.

That attitude is one of the reasons the Suns are still in the playoffs, and the Nuggets and Sonics aren't. And it's why the Suns are going to come out and play hard in the next game, even though they are down 3-0. I wouldn't be surprised if Game 4 turns out to be the toughest of the series.

Before this series started, I said that the Suns would handle themselves better than Denver and Seattle. A lot of you disagreed, and said that D'antoni is one of the biggest whiners in the league. (Right up there with Larry Brown they said.) I think there is a big difference between complaining about a particular incident, and being a crybaby like George Karl or Ray Allen.

I think D'Antoni and Nash have been class acts in their interviews. The last thing I would call Amare Stoudamire is a class act, but he is too tough to whine - or to need to. And Shawn Marion hasn't cried about Bowen shutting him down either. He complained that his team didn't get him the ball often enough, as if that is the reason he hasn't scored much, rather than Bowen's defense. (He's not looking for excuses for why Bowen shut him down... because he's not admitting that anyone shut him down.) He hasn't tried to belittle Bowen - I just took it as him being a tough competitor.

Even if we do close Phoenix out with a sweep, I'll still have a lot more respect for them than for Denver or Seattle. They can admit that this time they have met a better team. But they're not being babies about it.

mavsfan1000
05-29-2005, 12:21 AM
They are giving San Antonio too much credit and don't think they can win. At least Seattle had it in their mind they had a chance and that got them 2 wins in that series. That is a defeated attitude in my opinion.

GSH
05-29-2005, 12:27 AM
They are giving San Antonio too much credit and don't think they can win. At least Seattle had it in their mind they had a chance and that got them 2 wins in that series. That is a defeated attitude in my opinion.

Poor choice of comments on my part. Deleted.

Solid D
05-29-2005, 12:31 AM
The Suns are doing what they do...right into the ground. Their defense isn't good and their offensive sets haven't changed much at all. Spread the floor with Marion in one corner and Q in the other and let Nash find his way around the screens or let Stoudamire bull his way to the cup off of that.

mavsfan1000
05-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I was talking about coach D'antoni always telling Phoenix that San Antonio is the better team. They didn't think that they could win this series early on and respect San Antonio too much. I'm rooting for the spurs since they are a Texas team and not a suns fan.

GSH
05-29-2005, 12:49 AM
I was talking about coach D'antoni always telling Phoenix that San Antonio is the better team. They didn't think that they could win this series early on and respect San Antonio too much. I'm rooting for the spurs since they are a Texas team and not a suns fan.

My apologies. Seriously.

The Suns were good enough to win 62 games this year. Probably would have been at least 65, if Nash hadn't gotten hurt. And they beat the crap out of a lot of really good teams along the way. Hell, they beat Dallas in a seven game series, and I know they were a very good club this year. (Especially at the end of the season.) You just don't do those kinds of things without being a very good basketball team.

The Spurs have some incredible talent. Plus they have a lot more playoff experience, and more time playing together to develop the trust and teamwork that makes them a great team.

I just read D'Antoni's comments differently than you do. I don't think he gave the Spurs too much credit. And I guarantee you he didn't send his team any kind of message that they could not beat the Spurs. I think he is man enough to give credit where it is due, and not to make excuses. He's made the point (and rightfully so, I think) that the difference between the two teams in the playoffs has been very small. He acknowledged that the Suns didn't execute a few small things down the stretch, and the Spurs did. I don't think that is a defeated attitude. I think he is trying to show his young players that you have to dig deep at playoff time - and that is probably the entire difference in the series. The Spurs have dug deep each time they needed to. If the Suns can learn to do that, they are going to be hell to beat. (Okay, yeah... and learn to play a little more defense.)

My point is, the Spurs are an exceptional team and the margin between them and the Suns is not large at all. I don't think D'Antoni has given the Spurs too much credit. I think he knows exactly how good of a team it took to beat them.

T Park
05-29-2005, 12:51 AM
The Suns were good enough to win 62 games this year. Probably would have been at least 65, if Nash hadn't gotten hurt

If Tim Duncan had been 100% totally healthy all year the Spurs might have won 66 games and had home court.

We could go and on about that all day.

Vashner
05-29-2005, 01:06 AM
The suns are in Summer ball camp (being schooled) lol...

Sense
05-29-2005, 01:08 AM
The suns are in Summer ball camp (being schooled) lol...

lol...nice

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2005, 01:13 AM
^^totally agree

if duncan wasnt out we couldve been 65-73 win games, look at how many games we gave up like the brown incident with rockets, and toronto 20pts lead we had

SequSpur
05-29-2005, 01:16 AM
WGAF... Championships aren't won in the West Finals.