PDA

View Full Version : Report: Nets try to draw Pistons into three-way deal for ‘Melo

duncan228
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Report: Nets try to draw Pistons into three-way deal for ‘Melo (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-nets-try-to-draw-pistons-into-three-way-deal-for-%e2%80%98melo/)
Kurt Helin

Ever since the collapse of a four-team deal before the season, the New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets have been trying to lure teams into a three- or four-way-trade that would end with Carmelo Anthony in New Jersey and a lot of picks and young players headed to Denver.

The latest — the Detroit Pistons, according to the Bergen Record (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/010911_Nets_try_to_involve_Pistons_in_three-team_trade_for_Carmelo_Anthony.html).

In the complicated scenario that’s being discussed, the Nets would send Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and at least two first-round picks to Denver and Troy Murphy’s expiring contract to the Pistons. In return, the Nets would get Anthony and Chauncey Billups from the Nuggets and likely Richard Hamilton from the Pistons, who are looking to shed salary. Hamilton has two years and $25 million remaining on his contract.

There are a number of picks and other players involved in a variety of scenarios being discussed here, but that is the core of it.

Detroit joins the list of teams such as Cleveland, Portland and others that have been approached as being a third team in a deal, but so far nothing has come to fruition.

Not that Denver is in any rush. They are happy to drag this out right up until the Feb. 24 trading deadline, figuring that better offers will emerge as teams panic or they will go with the fallback Nets offer of Favors, Murphy and several first round picks.

But that assumes — as both Denver and New Jersey do — that Anthony will blink and sign an extension with the Nets (three years at $65 million, which the Nuggets have had on the table since this summer). Anthony’s people keep saying the Knicks are the only team where he would sign an extension. Denver does not like what the Knicks can send back to them.

Meanwhile Dallas, and maybe Houston, are out there as teams that would make a trade for Anthony and not care about the extension. But those offers are for far less than the Nets are offering.

Sam Amick at FanHouse described it well — Anthony and the Nuggets are playing a game of chicken. With the deadline so far away, there is no real pressure for someone to blink yet. So the game continues with other teams like the Pistons being drawn in.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-nets-try-to-draw-pistons-into-three-way-deal-for-%e2%80%98melo/

Muser
01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Nets wanted to dump Petro on the Pistons and take a first rounder rofl.

monosylab1k
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Why is New Jersey so desperate to get this guy for half a season before he goes to the Knicks?

ElNono
01-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Why is New Jersey so desperate to get this guy for half a season before he goes to the Knicks?

I just bought tickets for the Spurs game here in NJ. Paid $300 total for two courtside tix. Each ticket says its $475 face value. The Rusky has to be desperate at this point.

Darthkiller
01-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Nets wanted to dump Petro on the Pistons and take a first rounder rofl.

well this deal has already been reported dead, becuase dumars laughed his ass off at the nets

DJ Mbenga
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
nets overreached and got burned. im sure dumars not being stupid also helps

ElNono
01-08-2011, 12:00 AM

Iverson for Billups disagrees, tbh

Baseline
01-08-2011, 12:19 AM
This will drag out until Feb. 23rd, then the following will happen.

Stern: Mitch, how would you like Carmelo in purple and gold?
Mitch: Do we have to give up Lamar?
Stern: Geez, no. You guys need Lamar.
Mitch: Bynum?
Stern: Nope, kep him.
Mitch: Alright, then. That'll work, boss. Wait...what do we have to give up?
Stern: Just dead weight. Let's say Luke Walton, maybe a first rounder and two second rounders, and, I know this will sound strange, but have you seen James Worthy lately? Well, let's do what we did on the Pau Gasol deal with what's-his-name.
Mitch: Aaron McKie?
Stern: Yeah, that guy. You know, bring James out of retirement, sign him to make the salaries match, and oilia...you guys are right there...again!
Mitch: Do you have a crack pipe in your mouth as we speak?
Stern: Mitch, I run this thing. Don't worry...I'll handle it.
Mitch: It stinks, Dave. Even to me.
Stern: Mitch, did we get in trouble for the Pau deal?
Mitch: Popovich saw right through it.
Stern: Yeah, but he's KGB...or CIA or MIA or something. Mitch, have a sandwich. I'll put it to you in a language you'll understand. "I got this."
Mitch: This conversation never happened.
Stern: I don't even know what you're talking about.
Click.

How? Luke Walton and some 2nd round picks. Oh but they'll need more salary. So, Stern picks up the phone, and what do you know, James Worthy comes out of retirement and signs for ten million....salearies match up.

Stern: Fellas, we have a deal.

DJ Mbenga
01-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Iverson for Billups disagrees, tbh

they were done as a contender getting an expiring and a player like iverson wasnt bad.

ElNono
01-08-2011, 01:41 AM
they were done as a contender getting an expiring and a player like iverson wasnt bad.

They never recovered and never fully tanked either. I still don't know what Dumars is doing with the Pistons.

Chillen
01-08-2011, 03:53 AM
If the Nets pull it off it makes them a top 8 team in the East this year if they get Billups, Melo, Hamilton. Except they might be in to big of a hole right now to even qualify for the playoffs in the East. I think those guys would accept the challenge, they could possibly sneak in as the 6th, 7th or 8th seed if this trade happens within the next 2 weeks, otherwise forget it. I don't see Melo wanting to go there and commit even if this trade happens, but who knows.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Nets could easily reach the playoffs this year if this trade goes down.

01-08-2011, 04:18 AM
not sure what the nets will do with hamilton and billups. this team will make the playoffs but not exactly a future contending team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2011, 04:28 AM
32 wins good enough in the east for a 8th seed

rayjayjohnson
01-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Stern: Just dead weight. Let's say Luke Walton, maybe a first rounder and two second rounders, and, I know this will sound strange, but have you seen James Worthy lately? Well, let's do what we did on the Pau Gasol deal with what's-his-name.
Stern: Yeah, that guy. You know, bring James out of retirement, sign him to make the salaries match, and oilia...you guys are right there...again!
Stern: Yeah, but he's KGB...or CIA or MIA or something. Mitch, have a sandwich. I'll put it to you in a language you'll understand. "I got this."
Click.

How? Luke Walton and some 2nd round picks. Oh but they'll need more salary. So, Stern picks up the phone, and what do you know, James Worthy comes out of retirement and signs for ten million....salearies match up.

Fuckin LOL

Koolaid_Man
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Nets Billionaire owner and fucking JZ are either fools for signing a player who's CLEARLY ON RECORD as saying he won't re-sign with the Nets or they have an under the table deal planned whereby they add at least 50 + million to any MAX deal he signs. There has to be an underground angle to this story.

rayjayjohnson
01-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe jay z has agreed to help produce the rubbish rappers on carmelo's rubbish label

ButtHurt Committee
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I just bought tickets for the Spurs game here in NJ. Paid $300 total for two courtside tix. Each ticket says its $475 face value. The Rusky has to be desperate at this point.

You got fucked. Even floor seats aren't worth that much in that shit hole.

ElNono
01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
You got fucked. Even floor seats aren't worth that much in that shit hole.

Butthurt

Jose Canseco
01-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Dumars has been pretty stupid for the last 4-5 seasons. Wouldn't surprised me at all if he accepted the deal. Wouldn't matter anyway, Dumars doesn't know what to do with lottery draft picks. Might as well trade it away.

duncan228
01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Chauncey, Rip and ‘Melo with Nets? It’s what could have been in Detroit (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-rip-and-%e2%80%98melo-with-nets-it%e2%80%99s-what-could-have-been-in-detroit/).
Kurt Helin

Let’s travel back in our minds to 2003, when at the movie theater we were all Finding Nemo and at the NBA draft the Detroit Pistons went with Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony. We wince now (we winced then, too), but Detroit went on to win the NBA title the next season thanks to stifling defense and a team led by Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups.

But dreams of what might have been if Anthony had been part of that team in 2005 and beyond still haunt Piston fans. How many titles? For sure they would still be relevant rather than rebuilding.

Now, the three-team trade talks between the Nets, Pistons and Nuggets (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-nets-try-to-draw-pistons-into-three-way-deal-for-%e2%80%98melo/) could unite in New Jersey what Detroit fans dreamed of — Billups could move with Anthony from Denver to New Jersey, and Hamilton would join them out of Detroit.

It’s Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, who is pushing for Billups and Hamilton to go to Jersey, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711). The reason is simple: Anthony does not want to take a step backwards by going to a New Jersey team that is still rebuilding, he wants to go there and be competitive in the East. We can have a debate about whether bringing in 34-year-old Billups and 32-year-old Hamilton — while sending Devin Harris and Derrick Favors out — is really smart or makes them competitive in the East, but that’s their thinking.

However, Ken Berger of CBSSports (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26907237) said this Detroit dream scenario is dead for now because the Nets asked Detroit to also give up a pick while taking on Johan Petro and his two-year deal. That may well have shut off talks, but there are so many scenarios and offers out there we’re hesitant to think any option could not be revived.

Berger adds that there have been talks with Minnesota to be the third team, and they are not the only team being approached. But the bottom line has not changed — Denver is taking its time and likely will drag this entire thing out until close to the Feb. 24 trading deadline. Don’t expect anything soon.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-rip-and-%e2%80%98melo-with-nets-it%e2%80%99s-what-could-have-been-in-detroit/

LkrFan
01-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Click.

:lol

duncan228
01-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Chauncey Billups says if traded he will become free agent next summer (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-billups-says-if-traded-he-will-become-free-agent-next-summer/)
Kurt Helin

Chauncey Billups may have thrown a wrench into Denver’s trade plans for Carmelo Anthony.

The Nuggets want to deal with Nets (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-nets-try-to-draw-pistons-into-three-way-deal-for-%e2%80%98melo/) — where they can get Derrick Favors and some first-round draft picks — but Anthony’s agent has pushed (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-rip-and-%e2%80%98melo-with-nets-it%e2%80%99s-what-could-have-been-in-detroit/) for getting Chauncey Billups and other players traded to New Jersey with him because Anthony doesn’t want to go to a rebuilding team.

Except, Billups doesn’t want to leave Denver.

That’s what his agent told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-billups-would-seek-buyout-if-traded-by-denver-says-age/).

“I’ve been in constant contact with Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) and made it clear that Chauncey’s desire is to remain a Nugget for the rest of his playing career and thereafter,” Billups’ agent, Andy Miller, said by phone Saturday to FanHouse. “If any of these rumors were to come to fruition, Chauncey and I would definitely want to maintain our flexibility and explore our free agency as soon as possible.”

Billups is a Denver native. He is set to make $14.2 million next season, however that can be bought out for $3.7 million at the end of this season. There is a chance Billups could be bought out right after any trade this season, although that seems a long shot.

The comments by Miller would have to give New Jersey (or any team looking to trade for Billups) pause. That pause could hurt the chances of the Nets to complete any three-team deal, although it does not preclude it. Meanwhile, Knicks executives are just smiling.

Billups took the high road with his comments.

“Everybody knows what I want and my intentions,” Billups, 34, said of wanting to finish his career with the Nuggets. “I’ve been clear about that. But I also know this is professional sports and this is a business. So I hope that I’m here. Everybody knows that. But, if I’m not, I’m going to do the best I can, whatever happens.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/chauncey-billups-says-if-traded-he-will-become-free-agent-next-summer/

4>0rings
01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
lmao no one wants to go to NJ.

Sisk
01-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Click.

:lol

Book it.

mike20spurs
01-09-2011, 04:05 AM
It was reported that the Nets wont agree to any deal unless Carmelo signs a multi-year extension. They do not want to take him for half a season and let him go to the Knicks during the off-season. The Nuggets are in talks with the Nets because Carmelo has not told management directly that the Nets are not an option. If he would have or when he does all talks will stop.

FYI The Celtics acquired Garnett after signing a multi-year contract similar to the one the Nets are pursuing.

duncan228
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Trade talks for Anthony ‘advancing’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Talks between the New Jersey Nets, Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons on a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey have reached the advanced stage and continue to gather momentum, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

A number of issues remain under negotiation, sources said, but there is growing optimism a trade will eventually be completed because the Nuggets are finally motivated to act. The biggest hurdle to the three-team trade remains the Nets and Pistons working out the parameters of a Richard Hamilton-for-Troy Murphy exchange. The Pistons remain interested in unloading the remaining two years and $25 million on Hamilton’s contract for Murphy’s $12 million expiring deal, and Detroit president Joe Dumars and New Jersey general manager Billy King are expected to talk again Sunday night. The Pistons don’t want to take back Nets center Johan Petro, who has two years and $6.75 million left on his contract after this season.

If the Nets and Pistons can’t come to a resolution, sources said the Nuggets and the Nets will work on a two-team deal between themselves.

The New York Knicks remain Anthony’s preferred destination, but Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri has told Knicks president Donnie Walsh that his team doesn’t have the assets Denver wants. When Walsh has asked Ujiri to provide him with a list of the Nuggets’ desires, whether it be draft picks or specific players from other teams, sources said Ujiri has been unresponsive.

Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, has been the driving force behind bringing Hamilton into the talks, league sources said. Rose, also represents Hamilton, and sources said he pushed King to bring the Pistons into trade talks with New Jersey and the Nuggets. Anthony has wanted the Nets to upgrade their roster upon his arrival for him to sign a three-year, $64 million contract extension.

“Leon is driving this one,” one front-office executive told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

Keep Reading... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711

Basketballgirl25
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I really don't understand why Nets want Melo, I know being a Nets fan that the Nets suck, but really he won't win them shit, sorry melo is good but I like favors chances of helping Nets in the future better