PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Carlesimo interviews with Timberwolves

Kori Ellis
05-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Series notebook: Carlesimo interviews with Timberwolves
Web Posted: 05/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052905.3S.BKNspurs.notebook.2be18f442.html

Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo met with Minnesota owner Glen Taylor on Friday night to discuss the Timberwolves' head-coaching vacancy.

Carlesimo previously had spoken by phone with Minnesota vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale but had not met with any Timberwolves official until Taylor flew to San Antonio on Friday.

Carlesimo declined comment before Saturday's game, but Spurs officials and Taylor confirmed the meeting.

Carlesimo also met with New York general manager Isiah Thomas last month about the Knicks' coaching job.

The Spurs have given Carlesimo permission to speak with teams, though he has tried to keep the discussions from becoming a distraction during the playoffs.

Duncan sets club playoff FT mark: While Tim Duncan's 15 for 15 performance at the foul line in Saturday night's 102-92 Spurs victory established a new franchise playoff record, it's not his all-time best.

Duncan made all 17 of his free throws against Utah on Jan. 17, 2002, to establish the team's regular-season record.

The previous playoff record came April 6, 1980, when George Gervin went 13 for 13 against Houston.

Robinson still out: Spurs forward Glenn Robinson remained in Indiana to be with his family.

Robinson has missed the series' first three games after his mother died. Team officials initially thought he might return for Saturday's game but said he still had business with his family.

Bowen can relate: Bruce Bowen can sympathize with any difficulties the Suns' Joe Johnson has in wearing his new protective mask.

Bowen had to wear such a mask after he broke his nose while playing in Boston.

His advice: Look out.

"It seems like as soon as you step back on the court, somehow, you get hit," Bowen said. "It just so happened I got out there, and the ball bounced off my face. It was like, 'Oh man, my nose really was broken.'"

Suns get second, third opinions: When the Suns decided to let Johnson return to the court, it wasn't without careful consideration.

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said the team consulted with several doctors to make sure Johnson wouldn't be at risk of further injury while wearing the mask.

"Every doctor says no problem, and with the mask, he can get hit right on it, and he won't feel it," D'Antoni said.

The whole nine? Suns center Amare Stoudemire went into Game 3 averaging 37 points in the series. That didn't keep him from vowing to do more.

"I'm going to try to do a lot more," Stoudemire said. "Whatever it takes to reach the Finals and win a championship, even though I've been playing pretty good — defensively, offensively, the whole nine. Leadership, vocal leader, the whole nine, whatever it takes. I've got to bring that forth."

Chris
05-29-2005, 01:24 AM
"I'm going to try to do a lot more," Stoudemire said. "Whatever it takes to reach the Finals and win a championship, even though I've been playing pretty good — defensively, offensively, the whole nine. Leadership, vocal leader, the whole nine, whatever it takes. I've got to bring that forth."

wtf was he smoking. conceited man child pftt.

jalbre6
05-29-2005, 01:10 PM
ESPN radio just announced that PJ is in a "very serious discussion" with T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor to take over in Minnesota (1:00 PM Sunday).

Kori Ellis
05-29-2005, 01:31 PM
That's good for PJ. It will be a tough job, but better than going to NY.

Slomo
05-29-2005, 01:41 PM
If PJ ends up in Minnessota, will he trade Spree?

ObiwanGinobili
05-29-2005, 02:07 PM
If PJ ends up in Minnessota, will he trade Spree?

I'm just sayong that if I was PJ I would trade Spree... i just don;t see how they can work well together after the "incident"... it's obvious Latrell has no respect for PJ - never mind ofr authority in general.

King
05-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Didn't they make amends long ago?

timvp
05-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that PJ needs to hold off his little interviews until after the season is over? I know everyone thinks its all good now because the Spurs are up 3-0, but if it were any closer I don't think fans would be too thrilled with PJ flying around and talking to other teams.

He should have one goal right now -- an NBA championship. If he can't wait another couple weeks to get a new head coaching job, that's just too bad.

Priorities.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Last week the Wolves said they were waiting until the playoffs were over to interview PJ -- so I don't know what happened that he interviewed on Friday.

timvp
05-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Last week the Wolves said they were waiting until the playoffs were over to interview PJ -- so I don't know what happened that he interviewed on Friday.

PJ needs to realize where he is. The Spurs gave him a chance when he was a bad commentator on NBC. He was like the 10th choice of the front office for assistant coach. It was just that the Spurs missed out on a lot of other people that got him the job.

And lets not forget about the Sprewell incident. No team wanted to touch him after that. The Spurs give him a shot and now he thinks he's Mr. Big Time going out and interviewing during the playoffs.

Weak.

Mark in Austin
05-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree with timvp. I'm not surprised the Spurs have allowed him to talk to teams, but as well as the Spurs have treated him and as many times as I've heard Pop say he should be a head coach in the league again, you would think he'd be grateful enough that he wouldn't do anything that would even appear to cause a distraction for a team on a title run.

Jeez.

SPARKY
05-29-2005, 02:31 PM
My guess is that he got the ok to talk with Minnesota and NY.

I kind of like the idea of having an assistant coach with head coaching experience.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2005, 02:31 PM
I think it's odd because of the Wolves saying last week that they were going to wait until the Spurs were out of the playoffs.

But one thing is that McHale and Taylor flew here to San Antonio to interview PJ. So perhaps Pop (and others from the Spurs) just told him to do it now.

Who knows?

The Spurs have given Carlesimo permission to speak with teams, though he has tried to keep the discussions from becoming a distraction during the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Draft's coming up. I think the Spurs don't want PJ to miss out on any opportunities because of timing.

SilverPlayer
05-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't think that this is that much of a distraction. It almost seems like Pop is trying to get him another job, to move on. So I don't see how PJ is doing the wrong thing.

whottt
05-29-2005, 02:58 PM
PJ needs to realize where he is. The Spurs gave him a chance when he was a bad commentator on NBC. He was like the 10th choice of the front office for assistant coach. It was just that the Spurs missed out on a lot of other people that got him the job.

And lets not forget about the Sprewell incident. No team wanted to touch him after that. The Spurs give him a shot and now he thinks he's Mr. Big Time going out and interviewing during the playoffs.

Weak.

PJ has done a great job since he has been here...don't forget that. To tell you the truth, I am not thrilled that he is leaving.

timvp
05-29-2005, 03:20 PM
PJ has done a great job since he has been here...don't forget that. To tell you the truth, I am not thrilled that he is leaving.

How do you know he's doing a great job? Because Pop says he does? It's pretty much impossible for fans to know whether an assistant coach is getting the job done or not.

Pop sings his praises but then again, this is CIA Pop. This same Pop was saying that he wouldn't trade Rasho for any center other than Shaq or Yao. Now Rasho doesn't even play.

CIA.

sickdsm
05-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Spree is unrestricted.

If the off chance he is resigned wouldn't he be a BYC player, meaning it'd be about impossible to trade him?

PJ publically said he had no problem with Spree when he was on the trading block two years ago and would welcome him to S.A.

IF he still has a grudge against Spree, he's doomed as a head coach again bc you need to let bygones be bygones and not focus on personal opinions. If the Maloofs had achance to get Phil reasonabley and they felt he was the missing piece, i guarantee you the whole "cowtown" comments wouldn't bother each one at all.

Maybe you guys know a different PJ than the one i remember or hopefully he's changed quite a bit. Maybe he's learned a lot, probably so. But IMO, personalities don't change and he doesn't have the right personality to be a good head coach anymore.

ducks
05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I posted this in the other wolves coaching thread
I did not like the timing
however if the wolves flew to sa it is ok
maybe pop and spurs know pj is going to get a job this year
so they want him to be able to give him a chance to go where he wants to go
pop has complained in the past no team has given pj a chance

whottt
05-29-2005, 03:32 PM
How do you know he's doing a great job? Because Pop says he does? It's pretty much impossible for fans to know whether an assistant coach is getting the job done or not.

That's easy enough...

PJ was the guy that advocated the usage of zone D in 03...something Pop hated doing at first, he said he hated it...he sad PJ was the one pushing him to do it to close out quarters, something that was integral in our last title...especially against the Nets.

That, and Pop finally listening to me to play Kerr when our O was stagnant...was the reason we finally stopped blowing 4th quarter leads...

We also never had any semblance of motion offense before PJ came to the team.

I personally think PJ sucks as an NBA head coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball...I think that's the reason that he has had a hard time getting a job...but I think he's an excellent assistant and I am pretty sure we have had the best offensive years of the Pop era during PJ's tenure here, even before Manu and Parker emerged...

I know he's had that impact...

Pop sings his praises but then again, this is CIA Pop. This same Pop was saying that he wouldn't trade Rasho for any center other than Shaq or Yao. Now Rasho doesn't even play.

CIA.

I am pretty sure Pop would have traded Rasho for Shaq...even though he didn't say it...and Pop isn't going to make any drastic changes to the rotation in the playoffs while we are winning and Nazr is cleaning that glass like that.

Don't bet the farm on Rasho getting traded just yet...Rasho is still the best defensive C on this team...and that big lead we built in the third quarter had a lot to do with Rasho's D.

The fact that Pop sings his(PJ) praises indicates something...anything else is just pure and total speculation on your part...I can see your point to an extent...I just don't get the same feeling you do...but you certainly might be right.

I just don't see it though, I think Pop sincerely believes either PJ is ready to be a headcoach again, or he really wants to be one again...

PJ is a good assistant though IMO, and his impact on the team has been a noticable and positive one.

sickdsm
05-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a Flip Jr. to me.

"Lets focus on offense and play Zone Defense!"

I think you all know how i felt about Flip.

Vashner
05-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I saw him at wal mart on 1604x281 about a month ago. I said "hey coach"!
He just smiled and kept walking.

timvp
05-29-2005, 03:49 PM
That's easy enough...

PJ was the guy that advocated the usage of zone D in 03...something Pop hated doing at first, he said he hated it...he sad PJ was the one pushing him to do it to close out quarters, something that was integral in our last title...especially against the Nets.

I hated the zone in '03. It was horrible. In fact, I even had a thread asking for the Spurs to never run zone in the playoffs.

The other teams ate it up and spit it out. Notice how now the Spurs rarely if ever play zone. The reason is it doesn't work in the NBA.

We also never had any semblance of motion offense before PJ came to the team.

I don't see how PJ had anything to do with that. Mike Bud is usually the one that works with putting in new offensive sets in the summer. The introduction of the motion offense was in response to the Lakers destroying the Spurs two straight years.

And as you mentioned, the improved offensive play has a lot more to do with Manu and Tony than any coach.

I know he's had that impact...

You don't know. It's a guess.

I am pretty sure Pop would have traded Rasho for Shaq

Wow. Don't go to far out on that limb.

Pop isn't going to make any drastic changes to the rotation in the playoffs while we are winning and Nazr is cleaning that glass like that.

That and Nazr is playing better than Rasho ever could.

Don't bet the farm on Rasho getting traded just yet...Rasho is still the best defensive C on this team

Actually Duncan is the best defensive center on the team. Nazr is closing in on Rasho. I expect him to pass Rasho by the beginning of next season.

...and that big lead we built in the third quarter had a lot to do with Rasho's D.

:lmao

Yeah, Rasho's two minutes of playing time when the lead went from 16 to 17. Nice stretch.

The fact that Pop sings his(PJ) praises indicates something...anything else is just pure and total speculation on your part...I can see your point to an extent...I just don't get the same feeling you do...but you certainly might be right.

I admit that you could be right. But I've gotten a pretty good reading on Pop and when he says one thing, he usually means the other. He's been trying to get PJ a job for a long time now. Usually the more praise he sings, the more he's saying opposite.

I just don't see it though, I think Pop sincerely believes either PJ is ready to be a headcoach again, or he really wants to be one again...

Or he wants a new assistant coach in the mix and he knows if he fires PJ -- it will end any chance of PJ being a head coach again.

PJ is a good assistant though IMO, and his impact on the team has been a noticable and positive one.

You could be right. But I haven't seen too much proof that this isn't just any CIA Pop move.

ducks
05-29-2005, 03:53 PM
maybe holt will not pay for another assistant coach and they want to hire the argentine to be be an assistant coach

Brutalis
05-29-2005, 03:53 PM
PJ is a dumbass for doing this shit while we are in the Playoffs.

Now you better leave, dumbass. Seeing how thats as important as winning to you. Now I see why dude got choked.

SequSpur
05-29-2005, 03:55 PM
You all take the circus sideshow bullshit to seriously.

Games are won on the court not by the assistant coach flying around the country looking for jobs and BJs.

I am quite sure that Tim Duncan has everything under control.

Late.

ducks
05-29-2005, 03:57 PM
seems strange that the spurs would give pj permission to talk to the wolves a divsion rival about a coaching job. especially in the playoffs. if they actually that he would be a very good head coach

exstatic
05-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I've said all along that I think the NBA needs a rule like the NFL: no one can interview your personnel until your season is over. That being said, if they're willing to fly in, I have no problem with him interviewing here while the series is in SA.

Brutalis
05-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Obviously he does, Mr. Obvious.

What I'm saying is we are a TEAM. Why not act like one? Why does he have to put this issue in our players heads? It's pointless, useless and uncalled for. If it really isn't that big of a deal why is he doing this at THIS time of the season.

There's 3 months of nothing but offseason to do this shit in.

Brutalis
05-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I've said all along that I think the NBA needs a rule like the NFL: no one can interview your personnel until your season is over. That being said, if they're willing to fly in, I have no problem with him interviewing here while the series is in SA.
Well said.

SequSpur
05-29-2005, 03:59 PM
The Spurs organization gave him permission.

End of discussion.

Brutalis
05-29-2005, 04:00 PM
The Spurs organization gave him permission.

End of discussion.
Our government killed millions of innocent people in this war.

Who cares, end of discussion.

.wow lets be Nazi's about it.

ducks
05-29-2005, 04:02 PM
lets not get into the war in the spurs forum

however this is a spurs forum we can discuss whether the spurs should have gave him permission or not
nothing else to talk about

Brutalis
05-29-2005, 04:03 PM
lets not get into the war in the spurs forum

however this is a spurs forum we can discuss whether the spurs should have gave him permission or not
nothing else to talk about
Eh, my point is.... how stupid is our front office giving him permission to roll around the country when we need him most instead looking for a new job?

Maturity. That's all I ask for.

SequSpur
05-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Your talking about a job that pays millions. This could set PJ and his family for life. Why can't he mix in a meeting?

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and the rest of the team make the shots.

Are you telling me that PJ hoeing is a distraction? WTF? Could the Spurs possibly have gotten 4 wins in one night? And now he is jacking it up because they have to actually play the fourth game and now the Suns think they have a chance because PJ is hoeing in Minnesota?

LMAO.

ducks
05-29-2005, 04:13 PM
funny sequa you rip spurs front office all the time
now you think it is ok for them to do what they did
WOW

50 cent
05-29-2005, 04:57 PM
You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. This is not a big deal and he isn't flying all over the country interviewing. It was stated that Minny officials flew to SA to talk to him. I'm sure it's not that big of a distraction for the team or Pop wouldn't allow it.

whottt
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I hated the zone in '03. It was horrible. In fact, I even had a thread asking for the Spurs to never run zone in the playoffs.

The other teams ate it up and spit it out. Notice how now the Spurs rarely if ever play zone. The reason is it doesn't work in the NBA.

Notice we used it last night in the 4th quarter to cool the Suns off...

It's not a good form of D to use as your main D...but it does work in certain situations, IE if you are starting Brent Barry and giving a lot of PT to Shawn Marks and Tim Duncan is injured. It's also good to throw at a team to disrupt their flow.

We used it against the Nets to close out quarters and it was extremely effective. Everything has it's time and place.

And Pop used it in that situation at PJ's behest...if he didn't like PJ he wouldn't have used it...and we have used it progressively more and more each season since then. Pop no longer has to be cajoled into going into a zone D situationally.

I don't see how PJ had anything to do with that. Mike Bud is usually the one that works with putting in new offensive sets in the summer. The introduction of the motion offense was in response to the Lakers destroying the Spurs two straight years.

And as you mentioned, the improved offensive play has a lot more to do with Manu and Tony than any coach.

99% of the improved offensive play is having improved personnel...but PJ Carleisimo is an offensive coach...he's cut from the same cloth as Nelly or D'Antoni really...the last time he was a coach he had Paul Westhead on his bench. He's knows college styles that aren't built around a dominant player...motion offense, fast break offense...he's played both of them.

I promise you that Pop isn't getting ideas on offense from Budenholzer...Buddenholzer is a lifetime Pop assistant...there's a shallow offensive genepool there...

On top of that...the hiring of PJ coincided with the timing of the Spurs looking for more offense to get past the Lakers.

BTW, I gotta reiterate...I don't PJ is a good NBA headcoach...but I think he does know the game...and he's a probably a better coach now than he was before he was tutored by a defensive mastermind like Pop...

You don't know. It's a guess.

I know PJ is an offensive coach whose knowledge lies heavily in international and college styles of ball...that's what I know. He probably foceses more on D than Westhead, Adelman, or D'antoni...but that's not saying much.

That and Nazr is playing better than Rasho ever could.

Nazr is also a FA after next season...and he has an agent...his agent is not going to be telling him to sign a deal for 6 mil a year in what will be his last chance to get a major payday.

Actually Duncan is the best defensive center on the team.

This is payback for the Shaq comment right?

Nazr is closing in on Rasho. I expect him to pass Rasho by the beginning of next season.

Means nothing if he isn't willing to resign...Rasho will stay unless Nazr resigns or Javtokas is a lot better than you seem to think he is...

:lmao

Yeah, Rasho's two minutes of playing time when the lead went from 16 to 17. Nice stretch.

Can you direct me to a decent PBP that keeps track of the scores? ESPN's was down...I think we went on like a 7 or 8 point run while Rasho was in the game in the third...I know he stopped Nash and Stoudamire on consecutive posessions...

I admit that you could be right. But I've gotten a pretty good reading on Pop and when he says one thing, he usually means the other. He's been trying to get PJ a job for a long time now. Usually the more praise he sings, the more he's saying opposite.

Bruce Bowen?

Or he wants a new assistant coach in the mix and he knows if he fires PJ -- it will end any chance of PJ being a head coach again.

You could be right. But I haven't seen too much proof that this isn't just any CIA Pop move.

I think Pop is just sincerely trying to help the guy out...I rip Pop as much as anyone...but he genuinely makes an effort to help people out...he even tried to help Mercer out when he cut him, but cutting him in time to sign with another team...Pop trying to help a guy out with a better job in no way indicates he is trying to dump him...it doesn't mean something one way or the other.

timvp
05-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Can you direct me to a decent PBP that keeps track of the scores? ESPN's was down...I think we went on like a 7 or 8 point run while Rasho was in the game in the third...I know he stopped Nash and Stoudamire on consecutive posessions...

Rasho was in for the last two minutes of the third quarter.

(2:24) [SAN] Duncan Substitution replaced by Nesterovic
(2:24) [PHX] Nash Free Throw 1 of 2 missed
(2:24) [PHX] Team Rebound
(2:24) [PHX 61-76] Nash Free Throw 2 of 2 (16 PTS)
(2:12) [SAN] Ginobili Layup Shot: Missed
(2:10) [PHX] Nash Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(2:06) [PHX] Nash Turnover: Lost Ball (5 TO) Steal: Horry (1 ST)
(2:01) [SAN 78-61] Barry Layup Shot: Made (8 PTS) Assist: Horry (2 AST)
(1:45) [PHX] Stoudemire Jump Shot: Missed
(1:43) [PHX 63-78] Stoudemire Tip Shot: Made (18 PTS)
(1:43) [PHX] Stoudemire Rebound (Off:5 Def:5)
(1:18) [SAN 80-63] Horry Hook Shot: Made (7 PTS) Assist: Barry (2 AST)
(1:04) [PHX] Stoudemire Jump Shot: Missed
(1:01) [PHX] Marion Jump Shot: Missed
(1:01) [PHX] Marion Rebound (Off:4 Def:4)
(0:59) [SAN] Barry Rebound (Off:1 Def:2)
(0:42) [SAN] Ginobili Turnover: Lost Ball (3 TO) Steal: Johnson (2 ST)
(0:36) [PHX] Marion Turnover: Bad Pass (1 TO)
(0:36) [PHX] Nash Substitution replaced by Richardson
(0:28) [SAN] Parker Layup Shot: Missed
(0:27) [SAN] Nesterovic Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
(0:06) [SAN] Horry Turnover: Lost Ball (1 TO) Steal: Marion (2 ST)
(0:00) [PHX] Jackson Jump Shot: Missed
(0:00) [SAN] Ginobili Rebound (Off:1 Def:6)
(0:00) End Period

http://scores.nba.com/games/20050528/PHOSAS/PlayByPlayPrint.html

timvp
05-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Buddenholzer is a lifetime Pop assistant...there's a shallow offensive genepool there...

:rollin

Nice.

whottt
05-30-2005, 01:54 AM
My bad on the scoring thing....but that was a pretty good defensive stand while he was in the game...

I remember noticing him because he kept Amare and Nash from scoring when he was isolated on them(I think he was a big reason Nash turned it over on that one play). It seemed like that was the only time they missed shots the entire night.

Next time you see Rasho isolated on someone watch him...he almost always wins the battle, no matter if it's Kobe or not, even guys like Nash and Amare...Rasho is the balla stoppa...test him at the peril of your shoulder.