PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided!!!

djohn2oo8
01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4489)'s contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/oak/oakland-raiders) being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document.

Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season. He will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

BanditHiro
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
lol who the fuck made that contract haha

DeadlyDynasty
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
He's easily the best CB in the NFL. Al Davis should be murdered if he's not re-signed.

Kai
01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
OMFG i would do unspeakable things to get Aso in a Texans uniform.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Jets.

Tannenbaum will have to orchestrate a lot of moving parts, but that's where I'm guessing.

tlongII
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Jets.

Tannenbaum will have to orchestrate a lot of moving parts, but that's where I'm guessing.

Pair him up with Revis and that is one tough defense to throw on.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Indeed. But the problem is they'd have to let someone walk, probably Harris.

But Ryan has built that defense around CBs, and if they add an anti-Gholston plus Aso, it could be downright nasty.

LnGrrrR
01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
No way he goes to the Jets... I doubt ask would want to share the spotlight with Revis. Plus he could probably get more from another team.

mardigan
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I doubt aso would want to share the spotlight with Revis.

That would be waaaaay down the list of why he didn't go to the Jets sir. Aso has always seemed like an ego less superstar.

Ditty
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
redskins should go after him that secondary would be solid for them

BackHome
01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Cowboys secondary sucks so Jerry would be crazy not to get him!

MannyIsGod
01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Pretty much every team in the league will want him.

4>0rings
01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Welcome to Dallas Asomugha!

LnGrrrR
01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
That would be waaaaay down the list of why he didn't go to the Jets sir. Aso has always seemed like an ego less superstar.

As a Pats fan, I refuse to think of that possibility :)

DBryant88
01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Anybody but Jenkins

Phillip
01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
i shudder at the thought of him going to a team like the Pats. their defense would instantly become 100x better, which is a scary thought.

bostonguy
01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
i shudder at the thought of him going to a team like the Pats. their defense would instantly become 100x better, which is a scary thought.

I would love to have him, but I want some pass rushers to complete the front 7. Aso won't be cheap at all, and the Pats won't break the bank for him. Bodden will also be back and McCourty will keep improving. Neither arent as good as Aso, but they will suffice.

crc21209
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Dude is a beast, wonder where he will end up now? Go get him Jerry!

The Batman
01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Saw on ESPN that only 13 passes were completed against him

The Gemini Method
01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Philly or something like that. Their D was rankind teens, but their red zone defense was horrible. They're a team that would like to definitely get their defense back to the Jim Johnson days.

Phillip
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Philly or something like that. Their D was rankind teens, but their red zone defense was horrible. They're a team that would like to definitely get their defense back to the Jim Johnson days.

Him in Philly would be SICK. A blitz-heavy defense with a completely shut down CB on the QB's strong throwing side, while having a ball-hawker (Asante Samuel) on his weak throwing side. :wow

The Gemini Method
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Him in Philly would be SICK. A blitz-heavy defense with a completely shut down CB on the QB's strong throwing side, while having a ball-hawker (Asante Samuel) on his weak throwing side. :wow

We've already seen one Philly franchise make a surprising splash...will it be two?

I could also see a lower tier team like the Lions or even Browns make a play on him. He's not going to be cheap, but he'll instantly make whatever team automatically better than their current status. I don't know what the Raiders and their ownership were doing in setting up that contract...

leemajors
01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I guess it all depends if there is a cap in place next year.

Phillip
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
while it sucks that the raiders might lose him, it was probably neccesary since they have so many guys that become FAs this offseason. they need the extra money to lock guys like Gallery, Bush, and others up.

while people are thinking Al is doing all kinds of stupid shit, ive heard that he finally last offseason gave up his power to his daughter and is pretty much letting her run things, and she is using the coaches and other people on the staff to take care of finding and keeping talent on the team. it made sense when they had a draft for the first time in YEARS that actually made sense and addressed issues that needed to be addressed, instead of just picking a bunch of speed players and stupid shit like that. they cut players like Deangelo Hall and Gibril Wilson who were both vastly overpaid, and were more focused on building through the draft and finding low-risk, high-reward FAs and trade prospects.

im still not fully understanding why they wouldnt resign Cable, but i think if they hire Hue Jackson, its understandable, because I think he may be a better coach than Cable was, but i still think they should have given Cable at least one more chance.

IronMexican
01-11-2011, 05:00 PM
No way he goes to the Jets... I doubt ask would want to share the spotlight with Revis. Plus he could probably get more from another team.

I used to think you knew football.

Asomugha has no ego.

LnGrrrR
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I used to think you knew football.

Asomugha has no ego.

You must've missed my other post. I admitted I'm pretty much grasping at straws... I just don't want the Jets to have him. :lol

IronMexican
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Go ahead. Try and cover yourself.

scottspurs
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Jerry Jones will get it done. Welcome to Dallas Nnamdi!