PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Parker steels himself against Suns

Kori Ellis
05-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Parker steels himself against Suns
Web Posted: 05/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052905.3S.BKNspurs.parker.2be18f3b5.html

The Phoenix Suns were in full rally mode, having sliced a 20-point Spurs lead in half, with time enough to erase the rest of the advantage in the final 2 minutes, 30 seconds of Game 3 of the NBA's Western Conference finals.

Spurs point guard Tony Parker had just missed his favorite shot, a tear-drop runner, at one end of the court and followed up by fouling Phoenix' Amare Stoudemire at the other end.

Parker scowled his way to the press table and slammed his right palm hard on the cushioned surface that covers the table that houses statistics monitors and reporters' laptop computers. He took a seat atop the table, and, had he been a cartoon character, steam would have been spewing from his ears.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich walked up to Parker, put his arm around him, and whispered a few words in his ear, whereupon Parker walked back on the court and helped the Spurs close out a victory that gave them a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

"I don't like to miss tear drops," Parker said. "That's why I was mad. Pop just told me to stay in the game."

Popovich doesn't have to shout such advice to Parker nearly as often these days. It is proof that the point guard has matured to the point he won't shrink from the challenge of having the Suns' best defender, Joe Johnson, assigned to shut him down.

Johnson played in the series for the first time since suffering a broken orbital bone around his left eye against Dallas. Much was made before the game of Johnson's ability to keep Parker from getting into the lane to create shots for himself and his teammates. Parker proved there had been no reason to fret.

"I'm going to attack him the same way as Steve (Nash)," Parker said of Johnson, who is 6-foot-7 and 230 pounds, compared to Parker's 6-2 and 180. "I have to be in attack mode and make sure I stay involved in the offense. If it's Steve or Joe, it doesn't matter. I have to make sure I don't rush anything, but keep being in the attack mode."

Attack Parker did. By game's end he had scored 18 points, all but two of which resulted from drives to the basket that produced either layins, tear drops or trips to the foul line.

"I was playing him a little too close in the first half, and he got some easy buckets," said Johnson, who played with a specially fitted mask protecting his face. "In the second half, I backed off a little bit."

Johnson's presence was supposed to relieve league MVP Steve Nash of some of the burden of chasing Parker all over the court. The theory was Nash would have more energy to beat Parker at the offensive end with Johnson back. But Parker did a better job defending Nash on Saturday than he had in Games 1 and 2. Nash finished the game with only three assists and missed 10 of his 18 shots.

"He's a really tough-minded individual," Popovich said of Parker. "He's a good competitor and can handle critiques. You know, you tell him to go do this or that (and) he doesn't take anything personally. He just wants to get better."

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Parker scowled his way to the press table and slammed his right palm hard on the cushioned surface that covers the table that houses statistics monitors and reporters' laptop computers.

Come on Tony. Hit a surface not covered and break a wrist! Be a man!

ducks
05-29-2005, 10:04 AM
"I'm going to attack him the same way as Steve (Nash)," Parker said of Johnson, who is 6-foot-7 and 230 pounds, compared to Parker's 6-2 and 180. "I have to be in attack mode and make sure I stay involved in the offense. If it's Steve or Joe, it doesn't matter. I have to make sure I don't rush anything, but keep being in the attack mode."
he does that against heat or pistons spurs will kick their asses

RobinsontoDuncan
05-29-2005, 10:12 AM
hopefully, unless he gets blocked every time he ends up in the lane against the Pistons.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2005, 10:20 AM
That's why he shoots teardrops.

I loved seeing Tony get so pissed off about letting his man score on him early in the game. Other PGs would've given up a bit and let Nash get his -- Tony was tenacious.

boutons
05-29-2005, 11:32 AM
"Tony get so pissed off "

wasn't Tony also very pissed off at Nazr for not being help defense and allowing a couple layups, just before Pop yanked Nazr?

Nazr seems to have no clue on defense. Nobody can be that stupid, so I assume he knows what to do, having been told what to do, but just doesn't want to do it.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Nazr seems to have no clue on defense.He doesn't.

Yet.

And still we're doing well.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Parker was pissed a lot in this game. My favorite moment was when TP was lecturing Barry while Tim (?) was shooting free throws after Bone's errant tip in for the Suns. I'd love to have heard that conversation.

leemajors
05-29-2005, 01:13 PM
wade was able to get in the lane vs the pistons and not jump into a block party. it can be done, he had plenty of layups last game. the wallaces can't just leave duncan... but let's finish up the suns first here