PDA

View Full Version : Soooooo no more Parker in clutch situations?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
This is the second game in a row where Parker hasn't been on the floor in the final minute. Pop seems to be opting to going with Hill.

Do you guys agree with this? I understand putting Hill in for defensive purposes but it's very rare to not see Tony on the floor when the game is close.

Something to keep an eye on, imo.

duncan228
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Maybe he's still sick? He said he felt pretty lousy after the last game.

ChuckD
01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
He wasn't d-ing up, and Hill is balling.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Maybe he's still sick? He said he felt pretty lousy after the last game.

Good call, although he seemed to at least be aggressive this game you'd think Pop would've kept him in. His drive and kick to the man for the open 3 is usually a bread and butter play late in games.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
He wasn't d-ing up, and Hill is balling.

Hill is 2-11 from the floor. He's been pitiful save for a couple plays earlier.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Hill has been playing like crap IMO

I don't think parker played the entire 4th did he? 25 total minutes played

DesignatedT
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
pop pulled parker after he made a mistake defensively around the 6 minute mark and never put him back in because of it.

rasho8
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Maybe Pop knows that these are the pressure situations hill needs for the playoffs and is saying "Better win fucker."

So playing teams with shit records who aren't challenging our position and playing Hill gives him some real crunch time experience?

Budkin
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
As someone else said... he's still not feeling well.

Muser
Pop benched him after he pussied out of a charge and he didn't play after.

CP48107

Hill is not playing well right now

JR3
I'm for parker over hill in the clutch as a general rule. If we need Defense... Hill is the guy. But we had the lead tonight.

Spurs Brazil
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
Parker still hasn't played since Pop benched him at 6:14 for failing to take a charge from a careening Kevin Love.

urunobili
Hill is trash as a closer

spurspokesman
One word DEFENSE. Hill is superior to parker in that reguard. Parker is the superior player overall. Methinks

Cant_Be_Faded
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
meh give me parker over hill if we're going defense

Pauleta14
01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Good call, although he seemed to at least be aggressive this game you'd think Pop would've kept him in. His drive and kick to the man for the open 3 is usually a bread and butter play late in games.

Really?

Did you REALLY think Pop suddenly decided TP was crap in clutch and Hill should finish games instead of him??!! :lol

Waow, a couple bad/sick games and here we go...

Em-City
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM

this... unless parker is getting taken into the post.

spurspokesman
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Its really a toss up. I guess it depends on circumstance.

Blackjack
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Tony either just didn't have it or is still feeling the effects of whatever bug he got prior to the Indiana game.

I'm guessing if Pop believes all things are going to be pretty close to equal defensively and distributing-wise, Tony just not getting people involved (for whatever reason), he'd rather have the 3-point spacing of Hill and the better free-throw shooting down the stretch.

Amuseddaysleeper
Really?

Did you REALLY think Pop suddenly decided TP was crap in clutch and Hill should finish games instead of him??!! :lol

Waow, a couple bad/sick games and here we go...

No, but I'm trying to look at it logically, that maybe Parker is running out of gas faster since he has been under the weather lately. Manu went through the same thing and his game suffered a bit.

I agreed with you earlier, that it's dumb to take Parker off the floor with the game on the line, but if it's because Parker is still sick then I'd understand.

timvp
Uh, Parker played all but eight seconds of the final ten minutes against the Pacers. Pop pulled him for a play to use Gary Neal as a decoy in a side out of bounds play.

In this game, TP apparently didn't want to suffer internal injuries by taking a charge from Love so Pop benched him. (That or illness or both.)

Brazil
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Idk dog house, TP not feeling good, Hill needing some clutch situation experience, Defense... difficult to know.

Anyway I think this is stupid, TP is really good to have in the fourth. I don't buy the Defensive purpose, Hill is trash against PGs so Manu defends the PG and Hill the SG either way it is not the ideal.

Now if it's the dog house stuff then Pop needs to chill out a little on TP because TP is the only one to receive this kind of treatment.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Uh, Parker played all but eight seconds of the final ten minutes against the Pacers. Pop pulled him for a play to use Gary Neal as a decoy in a side out of bounds play.

In this game, TP apparently didn't want to suffer internal injuries by taking a charge from Love so Pop benched him. (That or illness or both.)

I guess those last 8 seconds of the Pacers game stuck out in my mind too much. :lol

ChuckD
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM

7-7 FTs, 3 rebs, 2 asst 2stl

FG percentage isn't the be all end all of basketball. George was doing a good job QBing the team.

timvp
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess those last 8 seconds of the Pacers game stuck out in my mind too much. :lol

It actually wasn't the final eight seconds. :) Parker was put back in after the Neal decoy and hit the final two free throws at the end to put the Spurs up by three. Hill played the final seven minutes straight.

Spursmania
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Hill has got to learn to help close games by taking care of the ball first and foremost. He turned over the ball in the last couple of minutes in the last game.

Then tonight, he turned it over again in the last couple of minutes when he stepped out of bounce. He's got to clean that shit up because we're going to need him.

As far as Pop taking Tony out-- I think he's still not feeling 100% and Pop just rolled with Hill.

it's me
01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Ducks should be fucking mad at Pop LOL

Blackjack
01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=309&dateline=1294626889

Subtle, 'Sleeper. :rollin

Brazil
01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
7-7 FTs, 3 rebs, 2 asst 2stl

FG percentage isn't the be all end all of basketball. George was doing a good job QBing the team.

I disagree, the Offense was stagnant with him, he turned the ball over stupidely, defensively I didn't see something special that would have compensated his poor Offense.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=309&dateline=1294626889

Subtle, 'Sleeper. :rollin

:toast

Though I will give Bonner his props for his game today, it just tells me he'll probably suck in his next five. :lol

urunobili
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Please no more ball on Hill's hand at the end of game... PLEASE

timvp
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
George was doing a good job QBing the team.

We must have been watching a different game. The game I watched had Hill struggling to get the team into its sets and unable to create much of anything on the pick-and-rolls. He was doing a good job on the break and semi-break but couldn't create anything in the halfcourt settings.

toki9
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Dude is recovering from a stomach bug...do you really want him taking a hit in the chest/ab area by taking a charge? That could be asking for a big mess...

DPG21920
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Look, the Spurs are extremely deep. This type of fast start has allowed Pop to do many things that will pay off long term (hopefully). He is able to manipulate things and kind of have in game practices due to the fact the Spurs are off to such a strong start. Because the team is so deep, he can do this without sacrificing wins so far.

He is also only having to play the big 3 a ridiculously low amount. With all of that in mind, Pop will probably do somethings that don't necessarily maximize the point spread. Giving Hill minutes, when struggling, in a close game, is something that will help Hill down the road (again, I hope).

When you can do that and still get the W, you should do it.

toki9
01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
worst quarterback of the night

luke ridnour or michael vick

go

Slightly off topic, but Luke Ridnour = Ryan Seacrest with a jumpshot?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Twitter:

Preine_PtR Aaron Preine
by poundingtherock

Ginobili post-game interview, "Tony was still sick."
5 minutes ago

pjjrfan
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
A lot of guys werent playing well and Tony wasn't the only one who got out of Love's way on that play. I am prone to believe that Tony's stamina had a lot to do with holding him out. I'm not buying into any change until I see this as a consistent move by pop.

ElNono
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM

No, you're absolutely right.

I wonder if Pop is just trying to build back Hill's confidence.

duncan228
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
In retrospect, it was Ridnour, making the dish, Pop wanted Tony to step in front of RT @jeffery410 Not sure I blame Parker for that...

Pauleta14
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Idk dog house, TP not feeling good, Hill needing some clutch situation experience, Defense... difficult to know.

Anyway I think this is stupid, TP is really good to have in the fourth. I don't buy the Defensive purpose, Hill is trash against PGs so Manu defends the PG and Hill the SG either way it is not the ideal.

Now if it's the dog house stuff then Pop needs to chill out a little on TP because TP is the only one to receive this kind of treatment.

this.

I think for tonight, Pop probably thought if Tony isn't healthy enough to take charges (+ he wasn't moving very fast/quick) he better go with Hill...

No big deal...

Pauleta14
01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Dude is recovering from a stomach bug...do you really want him taking a hit in the chest/ab area by taking a charge? That could be asking for a big mess...

+1 :lol

jsandiego
01-09-2011, 10:34 PM

I don't think parker played the entire 4th did he? 25 total minutes played
Major props for posting a link to the Unticket in your sig..
:hat

ducks
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Twitter:

Preine_PtR Aaron Preine
by poundingtherock

Ginobili post-game interview, "Tony was still sick."
5 minutes ago

duh

also this game just proves tp is more important then people think

DPG21920
01-09-2011, 10:48 PM
duh

also this game just proves tp is more important then people think

How, they won. Without him.

ChuckD
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I disagree, the Offense was stagnant with him, he turned the ball over stupidely, defensively I didn't see something special that would have compensated his poor Offense.

That offense would have seemed a lot less stagnant had any of five or six three pointers dropped in the fourth.

ducks
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
How, they won. Without him.

they won without him playing late but should not have

wolves deserved the win tonight not the spurs

DPG21920
01-09-2011, 11:01 PM
they won without him playing late but should not have

wolves deserved the win tonight not the spurs

No :lol, The Spurs ballooned their lead without TP. They were in control and led the entire fourth without TP.

He is a luxury and this game proves it. He is the Manning of the Spurs. He can be good sometimes, but in the 4th, you don't need him.

PopRocks
01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
...As far as Pop taking Tony out-- I think he's still not feeling 100% and Pop just rolled with Hill.

Was at the game behind the bench area. Didn't catch what happened on the play, but it was obvious Pop wasn't happened with Tony.

Pop jumped on Tony on the transition and as soon there was a whistle yanked him.

I forgot who he subbed, but it wasn't a normal sub for Tony. Might have been the first guy Pop saw on the bench not wearing warm ups. Then he unloaded on Tony on the sideline.

During an important time out with lots of play to go, Tony justed looked off in the crowd. His body language confirmed his night was over.

Pop probably knew Tony was not 100%, but didn't want to miss a chance to make a point that if you're on the court you better make it happen.

Kool Bob Love
01-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Was at the game behind the bench area. Didn't catch what happened on the play, but it was obvious Pop wasn't happened with Tony.

Pop jumped on Tony on the transition and as soon there was a whistle yanked him.

I forgot who he subbed, but it wasn't a normal sub for Tony. Might have been the first guy Pop saw on the bench not wearing warm ups. Then he unloaded on Tony on the sideline.

During an important time out with lots of play to go, Tony justed looked off in the crowd. His body language confirmed his night was over.

Pop probably knew Tony was not 100%, but didn't want to miss a chance to make a point that if you're on the court you better make it happen.

Saw the play on DVR. Duncan also jump a little off the bench like "WTF Tony".

PopRocks
01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Missed what happened live. Anyway to check it out on video somewhere?

DPG21920
01-09-2011, 11:52 PM
BTW, I was obviously kidding about TP.

wolf754life
01-10-2011, 12:10 AM
if you recored the game, check the play before he gets pulled, Dice pressures a three, parker switched underneath, tp is standing outside the charge circle, love drives, parker moves out of the way, love lays it in...

no d, no play

goodnite noowww tp.

duncan228
01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Parker banished for defensive lapse (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/09/parker-banished-for-defensive-lapse/)
Mike Monroe

The stomach ailment that nearly kept Tony Parker out of Friday’s game was nearly gone by tip-off Sunday, but the Spurs’ starting point guard may have ringing in his ears long after the 94-91 victory.

A defensive deficiency in the fourth quarter — Parker failed to step in front of Minnesota guard Luke Ridnour as he started a drive that produced a Kevin Love dunk — resulted in Parker’s banishment to the bench for the remainder of the game.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Parker an emphatic, pointed reminder on his way to the pine: Defensive miscues, especially in crunch time, won’t be tolerated.

Keep Reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/09/parker-banished-for-defensive-lapse/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/09/parker-banished-for-defensive-lapse/

greyforest
01-10-2011, 01:40 AM
regular season, hill needs training to be a closer? don't read too far in to pop. they gotta learn sometime.

SenorSpur
01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
On Game Time React, Taylor indicated that Tony has been under the weather.

siraulo23
01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
manu said on postgame parker is still sick

Brazil
01-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Parker an emphatic, pointed reminder on his way to the pine: Defensive miscues, especially in crunch time, won’t be tolerated.
(http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/09/parker-banished-for-defensive-lapse/)

This is bullshit, if Pop had to bench every palyer with defensive miscues especially in crunch time, all the spurs should be benched I mean all beginning with Manu and Hill.

Bukefal
01-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow 3 pages for a non issue and the media coming up with shit that tp was punished or something.

The guy was just sick! He is still not feeling well, that's the freakin reason.

Spurs Brazil
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
This is bullshit, if Pop had to bench every palyer with defensive miscues especially in crunch time, all the spurs should be benched I mean all beginning with Manu and Hill.

If Pop does the same with Blair he won't play again this season

tmtcsc
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
This is the second game in a row where Parker hasn't been on the floor in the final minute. Pop seems to be opting to going with Hill.

Do you guys agree with this? I understand putting Hill in for defensive purposes but it's very rare to not see Tony on the floor when the game is close.

Something to keep an eye on, imo.

I think it had more to do with him playing bad D last night. Pop yanked him quick when he failed to cover on a switch. He had only played for about a minute before Pop pulled him again.

FromWayDowntown
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM

This has always been Pop's way. He's much more likely to make his point in this fashion by benching Tony Parker in January than by benching Gary Neal or George Hill ever. The point is to get Parker's attention; but it's also to show everyone else that the point is significant -- it's important enough that the lapse will cost a player like Tony Parker playing time. If you're a guy who doesn't have 3 All-Star appearances and a Finals MVP, I'd think the message would be loud and clear that your playing time will probably depend upon doing the little things the right way.

Brazil
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
This has always been Pop's way. He's much more likely to make his point in this fashion by benching Tony Parker in January than by benching Gary Neal or George Hill ever. The point is to get Parker's attention; but it's also to show everyone else that the point is significant -- it's important enough that the lapse will cost a player like Tony Parker playing time. If you're a guy who doesn't have 3 All-Star appearances and a Finals MVP, I'd think the message would be loud and clear that your playing time will probably depend upon doing the little things the right way.

Pop can do that with TP because he knows TP will answer well to that kind of treatment. Now he could also do that with Manu but he won't (here is my perception I have no evidence to back it up tbh) why ? I'm pretty sure Manu will accept it calmly too. Hill seems to be a different animal that needs confidence from his coach.

Anyway I still think this method is old, TP is no more a rookie. Dude is going inside against all the NBA bigs, taking charges, falling strongly on the floor and keeps going... and you bench him because once in his file he escaped from a charge ? this is bullshit, you do that when a player is soft, TP is the contrary of soft.

portnoy1
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Pop can do that with TP because he knows TP will answer well to that kind of treatment. Now he could also do that with Manu but he won't (here is my perception I have no evidence to back it up tbh) why ? I'm pretty sure Manu will accept it calmly too. Hill seems to be a different animal that needs confidence from his coach.

Anyway I still think this method is old, TP is no more a rookie. Dude is going inside against all the NBA bigs, taking charges, falling strongly on the floor and keeps going... and you bench him because once in his file he escaped from a charge ? this is bullshit, you do that when a player is soft, TP is the contrary of soft.
Its nothing new, there have been several clutch situations where Tp has been benched, playoffs included. As of late I dont know if he is fully recovered physically. Thats probably not why pop benched him, but I think that he is still feeling some after affects.
kinda like last season when he was dealing with injuries and never said anything. Also ginobili is probably the only player that will be put in any clutch situation regardless, their have been times when duncan sits on a few plays either because of his free throw shooting or because the team needs a 3.

Brazil
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Its nothing new, there have been several clutch situations where Tp has been benched, playoffs included. As of late I dont know if he is fully recovered physically. Thats probably not why pop benched him, but I think that he is still feeling some after affects.
kinda like last season when he was dealing with injuries and never said anything. Also ginobili is probably the only player that will be put in any clutch situation regardless, their have been times when duncan sits on a few plays either because of his free throw shooting or because the team needs a 3.

This one thing to bench TP or TD on spot clutch situations (I don't remember a lot of them but why not ?) It is another thing to bench this kind of player during the last 6mn50 especially when Hill is playing so bad

BTW I fully agree Manu needs to play in all clutch situation regardless (except for Defending Dirk on the last Dallas play :p:) and we have to accept the outcome bad or good, fortunately there are much more goods than bads. And IMHO Pop should do the same with TP and Tim, I'd prefer living and dying by the big 3 than by the Bonner 3.

crc21209
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Whoever started this thread must be a TP hater. :lol Because Pop hasnt only benched TP in crunch time situations before. Hell even TD has been sat down in the clutch at times for not having a good night or making mistakes as well....

FromWayDowntown
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM

You miss the point. The message wasn't one intended for Tony Parker. We've been around the block enough times with Tony to know that he's pretty adept at atoning for his mistakes and too valuable to have on the bench when it wins and losses really matter.

It wasn't really about Tony Parker.

The message was for everyone else (other than Manu and Timmy). Pop was perfectly willing to risk losing a game to reinforce the point that everyone is expected to play hard on the defensive end; if one of the Big 3 can be benched for a defensive lapse -- not a physical error, but a mental error -- anyone can be benched. Now the Gary Neals and James Andersons of the world know that. I'm sure it made an impression.

It's entirely about a larger point. Tomorrow night in Minnesota, if the game is close in the late 4th, Tony Parker will be there.

lefty
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
:lmao

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Flu perhaps, or maybe it was just Pop being Pop.

DMC
01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
So you are late two days in a row and your boss says "So, now you have changed your schedule?"

Two data points doesn't equal a trend.

EricB
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Rumor of a certain latina being in the Spurs family room last night and Tony going in there at halftime to see her and well, that not going over well....

janetcn12
01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Rumour..rumour, rumour...it's not good....

Brazil
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Rumor of a certain latina being in the Spurs family room last night and Tony going in there at halftime to see her and well, that not going over well....

???

DMC
01-10-2011, 10:39 PM
You miss the point. The message wasn't one intended for Tony Parker. We've been around the block enough times with Tony to know that he's pretty adept at atoning for his mistakes and too valuable to have on the bench when it wins and losses really matter.

It wasn't really about Tony Parker.

The message was for everyone else (other than Manu and Timmy). Pop was perfectly willing to risk losing a game to reinforce the point that everyone is expected to play hard on the defensive end; if one of the Big 3 can be benched for a defensive lapse -- not a physical error, but a mental error -- anyone can be benched. Now the Gary Neals and James Andersons of the world know that. I'm sure it made an impression.

It's entirely about a larger point. Tomorrow night in Minnesota, if the game is close in the late 4th, Tony Parker will be there.

This!

The Spurs' have always been coachable, and that starts at the top. Tim gets yelled at.... TIM DUNCAN. I'm not talking about 2010 Tim Duncan, or rookie Tim Duncan, but league MVP, bad ass stone cold killer Tim Duncan. People coming over to the Spurs who hold the notion they are above reprimand are soon shown the light. That makes the team better from bottom up.

Tony knows.

DMC
01-10-2011, 10:41 PM

JJ Barea was in the Spurs family room?

mabrignani
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
there are 82 games, parker will get his turn just like everyone else

lefty
01-10-2011, 11:54 PM

there are 82 games, parker will get his turn just like everyone else

:lmao

Sorry, but i had to

Pauleta14
01-11-2011, 01:17 AM

Are you talking about 2003? :depressed :lol

If not, please give us some examples...

DAF86
01-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Pop has also kept Tim and Manu in the bench at the end of tight games this season, I think that this season he will go (a lot of times) with whoever is playing better at the moment.

Slippy
01-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Pop should save some of that stick for Hill.