PDA

View Full Version : Splitter thread!!!

xellos88330
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I honestly do not think he is going to crack the rotation this season, unless there is some sort of injury.

Blair left the game tonight, maybe bruised something. I was expecting to see that open up some time for Splitter, but it was only Dyess that gobbled the minutes.

Either Splitter SUCKS in practice and Popovich knows it, or we are all being baited to going to Spurs games hoping he is able to get some time and we can see him.

The only hope that I am seeing is that he is able to get a lot of work done during the ASB to make up for missing training camp. If he still isn't getting time, we might have to wait until next season (lockout pending).

Thoughts???????????????

TE
01-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Pop is just fucking with Splitter. The team knows, Europe knows, and we as fans know, Splitter deserves to be out there contributing and integrating into the NBA style of play. Pop is a one hell of a coach, but to be fucking with the head of someone with Splitter's prestige baffles me.

ElNono
01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
:pop: Splitter needs a year to get over himself

Quasar
01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
I thought he'd be the new savior, but looks like he'll be the new Mahinmi - Pop's already given up on him.

ButtHurt Committee
01-10-2011, 01:04 AM
The guy is a bum, come one, move on and appreciate Bonner.

EricB
01-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Blair had the wind knocked out of him according to reports.

duncan228
01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Blair had the wind knocked out of him according to reports.

Yup. By himself.

Self-inflicted injury: DeJuan Blair had to leave the game after diving for a loose ball with 7:52 left in the third quarter. The burly second-year center poked the ball away from Ridnour and failed to break his fall, losing most of the air in his lungs when he hit the floor.

“Nobody landed on me,” said the 270-pound Blair. “My body landed on me. That’s enough.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/01/09/parker-banished-for-defensive-lapse/

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-10-2011, 01:17 AM
There's just circumstances. Pop is Pop, when will you learn to trust him? He is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Splitter is the player we expected him to be, but he isn't an instant NBA wonder like Manu. Splitter must be brought along gradually, not to mention that Pop does not want to take any chances with his previous injury. Rest assured, Pop knows that Splitter is going to be amazing, he just needs to ride with training wheels for a while.

ElNono
01-10-2011, 01:20 AM
There's just circumstances. Pop is Pop, when will you learn to trust him? He is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Splitter is the player we expected him to be, but he isn't an instant NBA wonder like Manu. Splitter must be brought along gradually, not to mention that Pop does not want to take any chances with his previous injury. Rest assured, Pop knows that Splitter is going to be amazing, he just needs to ride with training wheels for a while.

What training wheels? He's stuck in the freezer marked DNP-CD.

xellos88330
01-10-2011, 01:25 AM
What training wheels? He's stuck in the freezer marked DNP-CD.

This... :toast

I believe a person learns best by fucking up and getting ripped for it.

Baptism by fire. That is me.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Pop isn't sitting him out because he thinks Splitter sucks. This is the player Pop has been waiting for, he is being very patient, possibly too patient. But Pop isn't an idiot, he's doing what he thinks is best. I'm not going to mention our superb standing like everyone else, but I will just say that everyone will get to see Splitter shine soon enough.

xellos88330
01-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Pop isn't sitting him out because he thinks Splitter sucks. This is the player Pop has been waiting for, he is being very patient, possibly too patient. But Pop isn't an idiot, he's doing what he thinks is best. I'm not going to mention our superb standing like everyone else, but I will just say that everyone will get to see Splitter shine soon enough.

Well he is being an idiot because I stole his brain. It is telling me to put Splitter in.

Roger Freemason Jr.
01-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Well he is being an idiot because I stole his brain. It is telling me to put Splitter in.

:lol

DesignatedT
01-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Splitter never had any prestige as a player. This forum is just psycho land. I have explained a dozen times here that he was never that good of a player in Europe and yet a bunch of psychopathic liars come in and make up crap and lies and say he was.

No, he was NOT. He is NOT as good as Spurs fans think he is. PERIOD.

He is the SAME PLAYER HE WAS IN EUROPE. Which is a good defensive big man and a guy that can finish well off the pick and roll.

That's about it. He's never been anything more than that at any point in his career. He was NEVER one of the top centers in Europe. At some point Spurs fans will actually start to grasp that.

In all honesty, Javtokas was a much better player than Splitter ever was.

He is definitely overrated by spurstalk but I don't know about all that.

tuncaboylu
01-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Splitter never had any prestige as a player. This forum is just psycho land. I have explained a dozen times here that he was never that good of a player in Europe and yet a bunch of psychopathic liars come in and make up crap and lies and say he was.

He is the SAME PLAYER HE WAS IN EUROPE. Which is a good defensive big man and a guy that can finish well off the pick and roll.

That's about it. He's never been anything more than that at any point in his career. He was NEVER one of the top centers in Europe. At some point Spurs fans will actually start to grasp that.

I would give a sh.t to your writing unless you didn't write the last sentence.

spurs10
01-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Well tonight Dice was playing great, Tiago wasn't going to be subbing for him in the 4th. Bonner wasn't bad either...

Russ
01-10-2011, 03:29 AM

Hmmmmm . . . What would Pop have done with Scola the first year?

(I bet everyone would be talking about what an overrated bust he was.)

SenorSpur
01-10-2011, 03:57 AM

Unfortunately, the Spurs do not have the luxury of time. With Duncan's age and declining ability, Pop cannot afford to delay Splitter's integration. The playing time and experience he could be getting now would only serve well in the playoffs. Next year is next year. And Duncan may or may not even be on the roster. If he is, he'll be one year older and in even further decline.

I generally trust Pop too. However, that doesn't mean that he makes every correct decision. We all know he goofed on the decision to bench Hill during his rookied year in the 2009 NBA playoff series versus the Mavs. He only made the decision to play the rookied in Game 5, when the series was already out of reach. And look how that turned out. Hill was stellar. That was a bad decision then, and this one is now. By racking up nothing but DNP-CDs, Pop is stunting Splitter's development.

ChumpDumper
01-10-2011, 04:02 AM
At least he's not Greek. He would have to be waived.

UnWantedTheory
01-10-2011, 04:29 AM

121 posts of the same exact thing. Good job. :toast
Not many Spurs fans think he is a God, so stop jerking off every time you see a Splitter thread.

G-Dawgg
01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I was hoping he would be better than Verajao, but he's closer to Mahinmi than he is to Verajao...man it's so disappointing that Splitter sucks so bad....

Brazil
01-10-2011, 08:27 AM

:lmao you're priceless Manu forever.

Holy cow we have a 7' good defensive big man that can finisch well off the pick and roll ! This is not exactly what we need ?

mingus
01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
i'm fully confident that the playoffs this year will be reminiscent of '09 playoffs against Dallas with regards to Splitter in that at some point Pop will realize his rotation isn't going to get it done and he needs size, and he will put Splitter in, but too late and without enough game time experience, just as in the '09 series against the Mavs Pop, too late, realized he needed GHill3's athleticism. let's hope when that happens Splitter actually does suck and we're not all thinking "what could've" or "what should've" been. if not, that'll be potentially 2 playoff series in which Pop screws the team's chances.

Lizard
01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I hope that Pop is giving him some rest (as well as time to learn the system), having played his Euro season and them the NT and then right into camp with the Spurs. I hope that this is his summer and he can get into the mix soon.

Rummpd
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I for one would not be surprised at in the near future to see Pop one day for no apparent reason just throw Splitter out there for extended minutes against a top tier team. On the other hand it has been very frustrating to never (except I believe just one time this year) see the singular rotation that makes a lot of sense - Duncan and Splitter playing aside each other and doing a high low rotation. Splitter has shown some offensive struggles but on defense he at least mans up and plays hard, just do not understand the DNPs all the time but it is what it is and with a 31-6 record we should not be complaining, except I for one want to just see the guy get to play more!

BlairForceDejuan
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
He's not going to play a big role in the lineup this season. Pop is going to park the rookie as we piss away one of the last realistic chances to win a title. This is what Pop does.

urunobili
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
:( it'll be meltdown central if the Spurs don't win it all and Tiago didn't play a big role!

Rummpd
01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
He has a bunch of weaknesses in other areas of the game.

Stanko Barac, his replacement in Baskonia is already well outperforming how Splitter ever played there in his first season as the club's starter.

Stanko Barac was not exactly a superstar when he was in the NBA.

I'm not saying Splitter is a bad player. He isn't. He should be playing over McDyess without any question whatsoever. But the rep that Splitter has in this forum from how he supposedly played in Europe is insane.

A few stupid Euro homers come in here and make up a bunch of crap about how he was this great player in Europe and everyone here believes it. Once again, I'm just saying he was not that good in Europe.

So Spurs fans here keep saying that he deserves to play simply because of how he played in Europe. The problem is that he was not that good in Europe as Spurs fans here think he was. I would say he was 1/10 as good in Europe
as the fans here think.

He was pretty well regarded over there, considered for all decade team.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/all-decade/main-page/i/65246/4259/euroleague-all-decade-candidate-tiago-splitter?lang=en&itemid=-1

It is a farce this guy is not getting at least 10 minutes a game

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tiago_splitter/bio.html

jeebus
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
:pop: He doesn't chuck up 3's like Matty

Rummpd
01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Like I said, Spurs fans are completely delusional about the level Splitter had in Europe. Completely and totally delusional.

Please stop the B.S. most Spurs fans expected a decent player and not another Tim Duncan while instead Pop has him banished and has ruined his confidence probably for months. Mark my words if Pop does not develop Splitter he will go to another team and be a fine starting NBA player for a contender.

spurs50_
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
It's gonna take an injury to one of the big men for Splitter to get any playing time. Didn't Pop do the same with G. Hill in his rookie season. It took an injury or blowout in the playoffs for Pop to discover Hill had some game.

Rummpd
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Offensively, Splitter continues to evolve his game, emerging as a real force for Tau Vitoria, to the tune of 16 points per game, on phenomenal percentages. He shoulders a big offensive load for them, and it’s clear that that’s something that is important for him in the way you see him calling for the ball on the left block. Splitter is primarily a low post player, showing an excellent assortment of footwork and spin-moves with his back to the basket, and a very effective jump-hook he can shoot with either hand. He is a little bit old school in that aspect, really putting pressure on his defender to hold his ground as he backs him down aggressively, which draws him quite a few fouls.

Splitter is extremely aggressive putting the ball on the floor and creating, showing excellent coordination and fluidity, and emerging as a terrific finisher thanks to his great hands and touch. He’s not incredibly explosive around the basket, which may emerge as more of an issue in the NBA (if and when), but with his excellent skill-level and high basketball IQ, he’s about as effective a low-post scorer as you’ll find at the European level. On top of that, he manages to find plenty of scoring opportunities with his ability to run the floor, play pick and roll with the likes of Pablo Prigioni and Igor Rakocevic, and just find open spots around the basket to catch and finish.

Splitter is finally becoming a more consistent free throw shooter, now making about 66% of his attempts—nearly 10 per-40 minutes pace adjusted. He’s not really showing any kind of mid-range jumper, but probably doesn’t really have to for Tau considering that he’s shooting over 64% from the field.

Still not a great rebounder, Splitter has become even less prolific in this department on the offensive end this year, which is a relative concern and probably his biggest weakness. He is showing much better awareness in his ability to pass the ball, though, sporting an impressive 1/1 assist to turnover ratio for the first time in his career.

Defensively, Splitter is obviously a huge asset as we’ve discussed many times, as he has the size, strength and length to be very effective in the low post, but is coordinated and mobile enough to step out and hedge screens with great accuracy. The intensity he displays on this end of the floor tends to get him in foul trouble at times, but this is something that his coach will obviously live with. Splitter is seeing better productivity in the shot-blocking department than in years past, particularly in the Euroleague, where he currently ranks second in blocks per game. Obviously a high-level rotation player and likely starter whenever he decides to step foot in the NBA, Splitter has a very difficult decision coming up when his current contract expires in the summer of 2010.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tiago-Splitter-25/#ixzz1AfkaNdoY
http://www.draftexpress.com

Except in the Spurs system where he is SADLY and PATHETICALLY glued to the bench.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tiago-Splitter-25/#ixzz1AfkK1mOI
http://www.draftexpress.com

NRHector
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
:pop: He doesn't bricks up 3's like Matty

fify :toast

Brazil
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
He has a bunch of weaknesses in other areas of the game.

Stanko Barac, his replacement in Baskonia is already well outperforming how Splitter ever played there in his first season as the club's starter.

Stanko Barac was not exactly a superstar when he was in the NBA.

I'm not saying Splitter is a bad player. He isn't. He should be playing over McDyess without any question whatsoever. But the rep that Splitter has in this forum from how he supposedly played in Europe is insane.

A few stupid Euro homers come in here and make up a bunch of crap about how he was this great player in Europe and everyone here believes it. Once again, I'm just saying he was not that good in Europe.

So Spurs fans here keep saying that he deserves to play simply because of how he played in Europe. The problem is that he was not that good in Europe as Spurs fans here think he was. I would say he was 1/10 as good in Europe as the fans here think.

Of course he has a lot of weaknesses but spurs fans weren't expecting the new Vlade Divac for Christ sake. What was expecting is a young 7' Defensive oriented, clever and confortable in pick and roll situation.

BTW nobody was expecting him to play over Dice ! I just wish he could give some good minutes coming off the bench so TD can rest without opening a dunk fest in our rim thats it. The objective was also to have a big body to throw at the Lakers frontcourt.

He is perfectly capable of that IMO, with him out of the equation we have to live through sequences with Blair and Bonner and we are struggling badly against young athletic dudes like Love, Ibaka, Darko + hundreds of big scrubs playing the game of their lifes against us.

Seeing him not cracking the rotation is a disappointment for me, I didn't except a star I was just expecting a 7' contributor with good D foundation. Don't tell me he was so overated that he cannot be that.

Baseline
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Pop is just fucking with Splitter. The team knows, Europe knows, and we as fans know, Splitter deserves to be out there contributing and integrating into the NBA style of play. Pop is a one hell of a coach, but to be fucking with the head of someone with Splitter's prestige baffles me.

Totally agree. We've seen Popovich mishandle players, bury players, and freak with young guys' heads over and over.

Maybe he's disapointed in Splitter, but he's also the one who gave him a three-year deal. The guy isn't a terrible player. A pre-season injury is a pre-season injury...so get over it and give the guy minutes. He's not going to get better rotting on the bench.

What is our most glaring weakness this year? Size. Size, people.

crc21209
01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Better get used to seeing Splitter on the bench. Him getting hurt during training camp really fucked his chances of cracking the rotation, as we're seeing now. The Spurs just have too many bigs to be able to play every single one every game. TD is TD, you can't bench him. Pop loves Bonner to stretch the floor, he wont bench him. Dice is the old veteran who can still play D and pop the open 15 foot jumper, he wont bench him. And Blair is the hustling big man who does make mistakes but plays well at times also. Every single game one of those 3 (Splitter, Dice, and Blair) is going to be the odd man out, it just so happens lately Splitter has been the one to ride the pine.....

Lackluster
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
pop did give splitter a little run against LA and i think he let him guard howard a little too in one of the match ups against orlando?

unfortunately he didn't look great against an ailing bynum, but i thought it might be a little telling of pop's grand scheme of things.. or maybe it had to do with managing minutes played for our other bigs in the previous game or next game...

timaios
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
It is maybe, considering Duncan's age, the last chance to win a title for the Spurs big 3.
The Spurs are not going to beat the Lakers with a 6'6 Center in the starting lineup. No way !

The last game against the Lakers was a fluke. The Lakers were absolutely dumb in that game. They will not make the same mistakes twice.

If Splitter is not good enough for this year, he must be traded for a good 6'11-7'0 defensive center now. Spurs can't wait another year.
If he is good enough, play him, let him make mistakes and learn the NBA game ! How is he supposed to learn with his ass glued to the bench ???

Manu & Tony will play this summer with their NT. Tim & Manu will be 1 year older. The time is now !

Last year Pop tried a thousand different lineups and it was a bad bad decision.
This year the Spurs are the only team in the NBA with the same starting 5 in all games. Ok that's great for the chemistry and all... But why not try something different just to see...

Start Splitter 2 or 3 games, even if he's awful, you have Tony, Manu, Tim & RJ around him, i think the Spurs can survive with him at the start of the game. :wakeup

Blair is not a starter, he's a good guy off the bench with a lot of energy and all but he is not a starter !

Bonner is more a starter than Blair, yes I know :p:, but it's true.
I would want to see Splitter or Dice in the starting lineup, but if not, let's play Bonner. At least there will be more space for Tony & Manu in the paint at the start of the games.

awktalk
01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
The objective was also to have a big body to throw at the Lakers frontcourt.

pop did give splitter a little run against LA and i think he let him guard howard a little too in one of the match ups against orlando?

unfortunately he didn't look great against an ailing bynum, but i thought it might be a little telling of pop's grand scheme of things.. or maybe it had to do with managing minutes played for our other bigs in the previous game or next game...

Splitter logged 7 minutes in the Laker game. He was absolutely abused and punished underneath by LA. He had 4 fouls in 7 minutes, had 1 rebound, missed both his FG attempts and was 2-4 from the line. And the Lakers went right at him knowing he is underweight and has no business trying to guard any of their 3 big men 1-on-1.

He is a total defensive liability against other bigs, weighing in at only 240 LBs (Blair is 4 inches shorter and weighs 30LBs more). He is a total offensive liability because he can't shoot outside of 6 feet. His only offensive game is cleaning up missed shots, which anyone can do. Dude is not NBA-ready and Pop has seen that, up close and personal giving him ample time to prove himself, only to see lackluster results. This isn't that difficult to figure out. Splitter has seen minutes, has looked like a D-leaguer, and Pop has decided his job right now is to keep the end of the bench warm. It's pretty simple.

Next year, if Splitter can bulk up over the summer and develop a 15ft jumper, perhaps he can be part of SpursTalk wet dreams. But it ain't happening this year, dude is way too soft and in no spot to be giving us any significant minutes.

temujin
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Firstable, Splitter is NOT Grecian: that's a step in the right direction.
It's actually a PRE-requisite to being a solid player.
So he is not going to quit a-la Spanoulis.

It's like being a solid poster: you MUST not be a Grecian.

Second, Splitter WAS one of the three top centers in Europe last year. Period.
And one of the top 5 over the last 3 years. Super period.

Third, the question is NOT why Pop is NOT playing Splitter,
but rather why Splitter has NOT asked to be traded to a team that plays him, already.
If Noah, Varejao, Biedrins, Blatche, Cousins, Gasol (Marc) and Wallace (to name a few) can find a starting job in the NBA, there must be a place for Splitter somewhere.

NRHector
01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
He's not going to play a big role in the lineup this season. Pop is going to park the rookie as we piss away one of the last realistic chances to win a title. This is what Pop does.this :toast

Budkin
01-10-2011, 06:52 PM
This is the same thing that happened with Hill. Of course, Hill wasn't the MVP of the Euro League or whatever.

UnWantedTheory
01-11-2011, 02:08 AM
He's the same exact player right now that he was in Europe. This is the player he is. He's a mobile, active, 6-11 that can really defend the Pau Gasols, Kevin Garnetts and those types of players and that is efficient on offense.

=
So how is that not what we need?

UnWantedTheory
01-11-2011, 02:10 AM
This post is absolutely ridiculous. At no time was Splitter remotely close to being a top 3 center in Europe. You are nothing but a huge troll that is trying to wreck and sabotage Splitter's career here by greatly blowing expectations for him out of reality.

I guess the Spurs should go sign Stanko Barac immediately now since he is already better than Splitter ever was in the same role in Baskonia in his first year trying it.......

please stop spamming this forum with your bull shit.
Please take your own advice.

UnWantedTheory
01-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Why can't you read my posts?
I can. It's hard not to know what you are saying, considering every post is almost exactly the same.

temujin
01-11-2011, 02:17 AM
I can. It's hard not to know what you are saying, considering every post is almost exactly the same.

It's called reiteration.

Typical of mentally weak persons.

The grecian started his madness off early this year.

I am not sure lithium will be enough come springtime.

temujin
01-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Barcellona won the euroleague, destroying some fluke grecian team in the final, with a strong and physical inside game by the bigs.

Weeks later, Barcellona was swept in the ACB by Vitoria, with Splitter single-handedly destroying Barça's big.
All of them.
One by one.

Seen all three games.

Unstoppable.

Oh, and only a mentally disturbed grecian /(that's saying a lot) can think Manu and Parker are inferior to Marcelinho and Prigioni at Pick-and-rolls.

UnWantedTheory
01-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Funny, considering how you miss the entire point of what I posted.
No, I understood exactly what you posted,but you are exaggerating what most feel about Splitter. We will agree that Tiago is an efficient defensive big that is mobile. As most will state, that is exactly what we need. You are arguing for the sake of it, because not one person I know thinks he is the next KG. I don't care whether or not you think he was the true Spanish league MVP or not, because the fact remains that at his home sits the proof. Get. Over. It. Most also don't care whether he was an MVP at all, as long as he can provide defense & efficiency to this Spurs team. Pop willing...

UnWantedTheory
01-11-2011, 05:19 AM
He was never that great of a player in Europe. The problem is that this forum can't seem to grasp, nor accept that.
okie dokie pokie.

Get some sleep, you will need the rest as your war against the Splitterites will surely continue.

Brazil
01-11-2011, 06:33 AM
:bang :bang I have been trolled by KBP brother :bang:bang I need to be more focused, normally I can recognize a troll when I see one this time I failed badly.

lol being trolled by KBP 2.0

temujin
01-11-2011, 07:24 AM
okie dokie pokie.

Get some sleep, you will need the rest as your war against the Splitterites will surely continue.

In the maniac period, such the one we are witnessing from KBP 2.0, they don't sleep much.

ElNono
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Why can't you read my posts?

Sounds like greek to me...

slayermin
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Man, I hope Pop gives Splitter some minutes tonight at Minny. Not sure why he didn't at least get on the floor on Sunday. Beginning to remind me of the Beno situation.