PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Lil' Devin back to Dallas (Stein)

Shank
01-10-2011, 08:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4673229/could-devin-harris-land-back-in-dallas

If Devin Harris winds up in Denver as part of New Jersey’s long-running attempts to complete a blockbuster deal for Carmelo Anthony, don’t completely dismiss the idea that Harris could land back in Dallas with the team that drafted him in 2003.

Don’t dismiss it because the Mavericks themselves haven’t ruled it out.

Harris is by no means seen as an ideal trade target by Mavs officials, since they were the ones who initiated the deal with New Jersey in February 2008 for Jason Kidd and given the fact that Dallas needs wing scoring and long-ball threats in the wake of Caron Butler’s season-ending knee injury far more than they need another point guard.

However ...

Sources with knowledge of the team’s thinking confirmed to ESPNDallas.com that the prospect of making a trade pitch to bring back Harris has been discussed internally and will inevitably be broached with the Nuggets if the 2009 All-Star ends up in Denver.

Reason being: Dallas is well aware that the Nuggets have little need for Harris thanks to the presence of the promising Ty Lawson and are looking to reduce their luxury-tax bill. Also: Harris can create his own shot and thus could provide one key offensive element Dallas has lacked since he left ... although there would be obvious questions about how well he could function alongside Kidd.

So desperate for Kidd’s playmaking, leadership and veteran know-how, Dallas packaged two future first-round picks and $3 million in cash with Harris -- plus the contracts of Trenton Hassell, DeSegana Diop, Maurice Ager and the rights to Keith Van Horn all for salary-cap purposes -- to get him back. But the way Kidd has evolved, at 37, as a floor leader who also doubles as an effective weak-side shooter that can likewise defend small forwards would suggest that teaming him with Harris is hardly far-fetched. How often do we see Kidd paired with Jason Terry and J.J. Barea in a three-man backcourt?

One team source, to repeat, made it clear that Harris is not their primary target to fill the Butler void. Nor have there been any strong signals to date to suggest that the Mavs have the time or ability to join the New Jersey/Denver/Detroit trade talks as a fourth team that helps facilitate the trade by taking on Harris.

The reality, furthermore, is that there would undoubtedly be considerable competition out there for Harris if the Melo trade finally goes through and the Nuggets make him available, with the Portland Trail Blazers (just to name one team) known to be long-time Harris admirers and knowing how desperate teams generally are for proven point guards.

But Harris is still relatively young (28 in February) and thus ranks as a quality young(ish) player whom the Mavs already know a lot about. Which explains why they’ll privately confess that, on some level, they do like the idea of a reunion.

And the Nuggets, should the Melo deal ultimately go through at last, would be eligible to move Harris again before the Feb. 24 trading deadline as long as they don’t package him with any other Nuggets.

MavFan6488
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
harris can create his own shot? really? the golden state series in '07 proved otherwise. the only thing he does well is penetrating to the basket because he's quick as hell. if roddy gets healthy, we don't really need him because both have similar skills, and roddys jumper is far more efficient...

...but if roddy doesn't get healthy before the all-star break, a deal for harris would make a lot of sense..

Darthkiller
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
dallas doesnt need a point guard, they need a wing who can play defense and shoot.

sefant77
01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe wait until he is actually in Denver?

But sure, i ship Barea/Jones/Stevenson/Ajinca + pick. Buyout Stevenson. Maybe add Harrington/Anderson in another salary dump trade.

Kidd/Harris
Roddy/Terry/Stevenson

Venti Quattro
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
French Allah :cry

Phillip
01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
bullsfan1000 jizzed all over his computer monitor after reading this article

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I like it. He'd be at home there and could impact upon arrival. Not a lot of load time.

I wouldn't get rid of Barea.

Phillip
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I think Denver wants someone to take Harrington for cap relief. Maybe the Mavs can find a way to get Harris and Harrington out of this whole thing. I wonder what it would cost. That way the Mavs get a legit backup for Dirk who can also play SF, as well as a guard who plays solid defense and scores primarily through penetration. Fits the two biggest needs the Mavs have.

Shank
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Harrington's dumb ass shouldn't have signed there in the first place. There was an offer on the table from Dallas.

BUMP
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I like it. He'd be at home there and could impact upon arrival. Not a lot of load time.

I wouldn't get rid of Barea.

I've been singing yer praises all week, eppe, but I'll never understand yer man crush on Barea.

If this don't beat all I've ever seen.

frodo
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
need to get Desagana & Stack back as well. get back all of the exes who're still playing the game and we are gonna replicate the brilliant 06' championship run

Kidd/Devin/Roddy/JJB
Jet/Stevenson
Stack/Marion
Dirk
TC/Haywood/Desagana

Dex
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I've been singing yer praises all week, eppe, but I'll never understand yer man crush on Barea.

If this don't beat all I've ever seen.

Is it really so surprising?

Barea looks like a twelve year old boy.

4>0rings
01-10-2011, 07:49 PM

:lol

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 08:02 PM

You don't know shit from apple butter. I know twelve year old boys. Twelve year old boys are friends of mine. DoK is a twelve year old boy.

And Barea is no twelve year old boy.

frodo
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
the 06' mavs were the strongest of all time, just get them all back and we'll certainly win it again as we did in 06.

here are my proposals:

1. trade stevenson back to Wizard and get smokey back

2. JJB + Dominique Jones to Boston for Marcus Daniels

3. Butler for Harris

4. Brian Cardinal for Stack

5. trashes for Desagana

use all your trade exceptions to make the salary work

Dex
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
You don't know shit from apple butter. I know twelve year old boys. Twelve year old boys are friends of mine. DoK is a twelve year old boy.

And Barea is no twelve year old boy.

:lmao

Ice009
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Does Harris even want to go back to Dallas? He might still be pissed that he was traded and wouldn't want to back up Kidd.

NRHector
01-10-2011, 08:20 PM

And Barea is no twelve year old boy.:wow

Giuseppe
01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Hector!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pumpkinpuss!!!!!!!!!!!!

monosylab1k
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Why is Avery so intent on trading away his beloved firstborn son? He groomed Harris into the greatest PG in NBA history and now he's dumping him off in Denver? WTF?

redzero
01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Devin would be a lock for MVP in Denver, with pieces like Chris Anderson and Neck Lips.

The Mavs shouldn't have given him up, because they were a lock for the 2008 WCF with him.

frodo
01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Why is Avery so intent on trading away his beloved firstborn son? He groomed Harris into the greatest PG in NBA history and now he's dumping him off in Denver? WTF?

dudes bored of NJ and wants to leave. he'll soon join his son in denver (or wherever devin goes).

HeatChamps
01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Wade slapped that ass in 2006.

ElNono
01-11-2011, 12:52 AM

He probably wants Devin to make a name for himself, instead of being shadowed by a former COY...